PDA

View Full Version : CIV 5 Mac multiplayer (Cannot play with PC gamers)

ballison
11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Civ 5 Mac and Civ 5 PC versions cannot seem to play together.

"Version mismatch with host" error

I thought it was Steamplay enabled? If anyone has any info or links I'd greatly apreciate it. Google search seems to pull old forum posts.

Bismarrck
11-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Because the current Mac version of Civ 5 is not the same as PC version. You should wait Aspyr to release the coming patch. I heard they would release it very soon.

morikaweb
11-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Wait for Aspyr to release a patch? LOL you don't know Aspyr do you? They have your money why would they release a patch?

Bismarrck
11-27-2010, 06:05 AM
You are joking, arent you?

Aspyr has confirmed that they would release a patch soon. See Mac Civ 5 FAQ on GameAgent Blog.

ballison
11-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks. I thought as much but wanted to make sure. Its pretty annoying because I just deleted my windows version...

docwhat
11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Aspyr has confirmed that they would release a patch soon. See Mac Civ 5 FAQ on GameAgent Blog.

Link to the FAQ: http://blog.gameagent.com/2010/11/22/civilization-v-mac-faqs-v3/

swarmster
02-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I feel more than a little ripped off that 3 months later we still aren't allowed to play multiplayer. I hadn't supported an Aspyr port in a long time and I'm sorry to see they're just as disappointing as I remember.

I don't think it will be forgotten as easily next time.

Janichsan
02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Read (http://blog.gameagent.com/2011/02/09/civilization-v-mac-faqs-dlc-edition/):
Why can’t I play PC to Mac?

Aspyr and Firaxis have been working on supporting PC -> Mac multiplayer since project start. At this time cross-platform compatibility remains too unstable for release. We continue to work on this issue.

swarmster
02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Read (http://blog.gameagent.com/2011/02/09/civilization-v-mac-faqs-dlc-edition/):

If this is a known issue, on-going for months, perhaps a large warning should be added to the Steam Store page stating that multiplayer is broken? I didn't see it listed anywhere that you couldn't play with all users, and in fact the Steam Play branding and single library listing implies you can (as you could in Civ 4).

The fact that they're unable to make it work does not make this situation any less absurd. I guess the takeaway is that I should be sure to give my money to more competent and up-front devs/pubs in the future.

rj_king
04-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Just thought I would point that out. Not surprising with Aspyr. Any other mac gamers still looking for opponents?

scotws
04-03-2011, 12:21 AM
I don't think it will be forgotten as easily next time.

The whole game is something I'm going to remember, and not fondly. Firaxis really damaged the brand with Civ V, not only because of the technical problems (the game is only really been playable since the latest PC patch), but also because they reduced the best strategy game on the planet to a dumbed-down war game with pretty colors. Not supporting OS X out of the box is one of their minor mistakes in comparison.

If you want to have a fun time, go over to the CivFanatics forums and ask how many people would pre-order Civ VI.

mountainstorm
05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Well if you want to play with your PC cousins, just open /Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Info.plist use the plist editor if you have the dev tools installed or a good text editor like textwrangler.

Then, just change the FiraxisBuildString value to the same as the one on your windows friends (you can get that by rightclicking, properties, details on the Civilization V.exe). In my case I changed 218015a (the value on Mac) to 223483 (the PC value)

This will let you play with your friends, although I offer no warranty, guarantee or otherwise that it will work reliably :)

As it happens this leads me to my next question. Is the multiplayer in Civ 5 normally really slow? I found that every so often when I clicked "next turn" it locks up, shows the loading screen and takes forever. I'm not sure if this is due to my unsupported hack or just crud multiplayer.

Thoughts?

Rich

Cyprus106
07-02-2011, 05:06 PM
WELL this solution about changing the plist worked fantastically for me to be able to play with my roommate... until a couple of days ago when we were back to square one because the PC version, yet again, got updated while the Mac version got left in the dust. So now I can't see anybody online and I can't play with anybody on a lan. Thanks, Firaxis!

I know tis is a HUGE sweeping patch and probably isn't compatible, but this still worth a try...
DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET THE UPDATED BUILD STRING?! I changed the plist to reflect the latest PC patch, but I cant' figure out a way to find the FiraxisBuildString for 1.0.1.332. Any ideas?

gmclumpner
08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
I kinda wanted to reignite this topic. Hopefully there are others out there trying to do a PC/Mac connection over Civ V.

I have Windows Vista and have not been able to find the BuildString talked about in the previous posts. My Mac friend has, by the method mentioned, and we are trying to figure out how to connect but can't get the most recent String.

As of now, the Mac is running the 223483a version of the game, but we can't find the PC version. I don't know if the previous poster was using a different O/S or not so that may be why we aren't able to find it using the same method.

If someone using Windows 7 or XP could post the current Build String, it would be most awesome. Otherwise, if someone has a fix to the problem or can find the buildstring in Vista, please let us know how.

For future people trying to do the PC/Mac connection for multiplayer, I suggest having both parties turn off the automatic updates in the Steam options for the game...this would have prevented our current problem.

BisXcoito
08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
For future people trying to do the PC/Mac connection for multiplayer, I suggest having both parties turn off the automatic updates in the Steam options for the game...this would have prevented our current problem.

Yeah, but what about the poor bastards like me who already have the newest update installed on the game? And since it installs updates automatically, how can I know WHICH update or how can I FORCE an update non-automatically? I mean, I have a friend who played Civilization viciously for 10 years, but stopped on Civ 2. He's got a Mac, I have a PC, we both live together. He was watching me play Civ V, liked it and immediately installed Steam, bought the game and downloaded it. Only to surprise us both when I saw this damn money-making-is-our-motto company does not release patches simultaneously for different platforms. Great! He wants his money back, is there a way?

We tried changing that string (it only works on Mac, not on PC, since *.app is a Mac type of file) and didn't work. Anywhere we missed? We would greatly appreciate it. Or he'll file a complaint against Steam, stupid damn system (sorry, I just had to vent it, I hate Steam).

SyntaxError
08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
BisXcoito, your frustration is misplaced. Valve has nothing to do with the fact that Aspyr hasn't brought the mac version up to the PC version.

and no you will not be able to get a refund.

BisXcoito
08-19-2011, 12:08 PM
BTW, my friend's (on Mac) version was

1.0.1.275a (100189)

and on that specific string we couldn't find exactly what to change, and neither did we know which would be the change. Please help!

BisXcoito
08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
BisXcoito, your frustration is misplaced. Valve has nothing to do with the fact that Aspyr hasn't brought the mac version up to the PC version.

and no you will not be able to get a refund.

SyntaxError, no offense, PLEASE, but I don't really care if Aspyr is the one to blame, or the Pope, or my mom. Or you. The FACTS are:

1) Civ V is distributed through Steam;
2) it theoretically SHOULD be Steamplay-enabled, and;
3) it doesn't work.

So I'm sorry if you feel obliged to defend Steam above all else, but we felt being ripped off. If they can't make it work, they should (as a buddy mentioned a few posts above) inform people on the Store that the game doesn't work for Mac users. It's simple.

SyntaxError
08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
the only fact you listed is that civ v is distributed though steam. Its not like steam is the only place to buy it.
it is in fact a steam play game. all steamplay means is you buy it and own both mac and PC version. steamplay has nothing to do with compatibility between those versions; i dont know why you think it does. Also It does in fact work and works as advertised, nowhere does it say you can play MP with PC users. so please get your "facts" right before posting them.

Steam actually provides a page where you can see the games that support cross platform multiplayer. (http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=mac&category1=998&category2=27&snr=1_230_231__202) guess what? civilization V is not on it.

BUT I have good news for you. It WILL be multiplayer compatible eventually; so just be patient.

ButteredPocky!
08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
BUT I have good news for you. It WILL be multiplayer compatible eventually; so just be patient.LOL Yeah, someone on the first page said that, dated back to November of 2010. "I heard they would release it very soon" was part of it.

I just wish Aspyr had the damn decency to have Steam note that Civ V isn't truly "cross-platform" on the store page at the moment. :\

Garbage.

SyntaxError
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
to be fair there was a brief period when PC and mac were on the same version and multiplayer worked accordingly so we do know that it is just the version mismatch and nothing more. I believe by christmas it will be caught up.

As I pointed out valve has separated games that support cross platform multiplayer into their own category so be mindful of this for future purchases ans it is not noted on the games page usually.

(I know its an absurdly long time, but NOT valves fault in the slightest and you would have this issue no matter where you purchased the game)