PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a new player?

livinglitch
11-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Started out, tried a few fights, did ok, but some fights were labeled incorrectly (weaker weak etc). Whats the best class to play as?

Dazzled
11-28-2010, 02:23 AM
I prefer playing as a mage: you get to cast two spells per turn which makes a huge difference. Also as a mage you don't have to worry much about losing your army: it might be smaller than a warrrior or paladin's but you can win most battle before the enemy even reaches your creatures.

MysticTheurge
11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
here you go http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19038903&postcount=4. took me some time to write all this stuff.
it's about playing mages for beginners

Phredster
11-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Did anyone actually ever finish this game with anything other than a mage? I keep hearing this...

i picked a Paladin and doing ok but it's super early in the game hmmm

stalepriest
11-29-2010, 02:01 AM
I started playing today, as I suck at any kind of strategy I have started on easy with a mage. Cheers for tips. I love the way combat is played out.

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 03:26 AM
Did anyone actually ever finish this game with anything other than a mage? I keep hearing this...

i picked a Paladin and doing ok but it's super early in the game hmmm

yes. I finished it with all 3 classes.

Warrior is focused on his pet dragon a lot. My endgame stats showed that 33% of the overall damage was done with my dragon. I like that warrior has two slots for weapons (very ♥♥♥♥ing nice!). I got spells pretty late in the game. Naturally as a warrior your aim is to maximize your critical damage chances. I remember doing about 8000 damage with archdaemons to endboss with warrior. (while with mage i did 2000 only).

Paladin has a lot of regalia slots. Basically you should focus on high morale with this class. Power of the dragon level 3 gives you +2 morale to the dragons. that is +20% attack, defense and critical hits.

Phredster
11-29-2010, 03:28 AM
^^ Nice... that IS a lot of gameplay right there, considering it would take up to 60 hours or something to beat the game once right?

Regalia? not sure what that even IS lol i am only level 3 so i barely got started but loving it so far...

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 03:30 AM
^^ Nice... that IS a lot of gameplay right there, considering it would take up to 60 hours or something to beat the game once right?

Regalia? not sure what that even IS lol i am only level 3 so i barely got started but loving it so far...

Yes, it's one of the worst time killers i had in my life. No game will keep you glued to the monitor for such a long time.

Regalia is some sort of item that most often gives you either morale to your troops, leadership, +experience gain or gold gain after every battle.

A lot of item sets have regalia included.

Phredster
11-29-2010, 03:45 AM
i can see why... just loving the world right now and the atmosphere... music is brilliant too :)

any other tips for a newb? I heard it's good to avoid a lot of fights early on until you are stronger but how do you GET stronger when not fighting/earning XP?

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 03:48 AM
this is most often spoken in relation to map defending mobs and some of the heroes.

You can get more experience by going to another island (then come back later), starting to upgrade your items (fighting their keepers), and going to the wizard tower at debir (crossoworlds only)

Phredster
11-29-2010, 04:25 AM
hmm i see... wouldn't mobs on other islands be even higher level though than the starting ones on the main land?

also what about those items for you Hero? Do stats like Defense, Attack etc affect only the Hero(which is not really physically present in battle) or do they affect ALL TROOPS in battle?

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Attack and Defense of the hero simply adds to your every troop. Hero is not present on the battlefield. The only game that had this feature was Heroes of might and magic 4. :)

The effect of big attack and defense is pretty significant. I remember a game when i fought against a 50 defense enemy hero. I could not kill more than 4 veteran orcs (level 4 units) with my 11 archdaemons. Normally I would kill at least 20.

mobs defending maps are often harder than usual mobs on the next map

Phredster
11-29-2010, 09:04 AM
oh ok got it...

what do you mean by "mobs defending maps" though? how do i spot those? i mean i just see all kinds of different mobs and they all sort of "defend" the area they stand or patrol in?

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
oh ok got it...

what do you mean by "mobs defending maps" though? how do i spot those? i mean i just see all kinds of different mobs and they all sort of "defend" the area they stand or patrol in?

mobs defending maps are stationary. Just take a look what they have behind them. It it is map, that expect them to be harder to kill.

Also!!! If by chance you already have that map, then instead of map you get a wonderer magic scroll!! And if you are really ♥♥♥♥ing lucky you might get a call of colosus, that summons a level 5 unit in your army (depending on your leadership, that's why you should have at least 2000 leadership (most level 5 units require it)

Phredster
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Ok i don't even know what a "map" is... so far all i have found are chests with either money in it, or leadership flags or some thorn things which i can use to summon thorns on the battlefield hmm what do these maps do exactly? eh these things are probably way out of my league still anyway, i need to level up a little somewhere i'm only level 2 or 3 right now...

i heard Royal Snakes are supposed to be good, any idea where i can recruit those or is it random as well?

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Ok i don't even know what a "map" is... so far all i have found are chests with either money in it, or leadership flags or some thorn things which i can use to summon thorns on the battlefield hmm what do these maps do exactly? eh these things are probably way out of my league still anyway, i need to level up a little somewhere i'm only level 2 or 3 right now...

i heard Royal Snakes are supposed to be good, any idea where i can recruit those or is it random as well?

oh, so i get you are on debir island. Royal snakes are surely in one house on that island (100%). Buy snakes. There are very good for a starting player :)

Metro
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Paladins are pretty unimpressive -- they're a bad hybrid of a mage and warrior. Mage is probably the most fun as it introduces more strategy due to the spell casting. Warrior is still strategic but is more about the units themselves. You're going to have to shuttle back and forth between the various zones. That is, you won't be able to fully clear a zone at a time. And, as someone mentioned, Royal Snakes are fairly abundant in that swamp region and fairly powerful.

Phredster
11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Debir Island? hmm not sure i am on the main continent starting zone near the King's Castle... i will look out for Royal Snakes though...

Damn that sounds bad, so would you recommend i restart as a mage now or should i keep going as Paladin anyway? i did like 4-5 quests already hmmm.... if you say it really will be better and easier as a Mage i might have to restart... :confused:

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Paladins are great for a lot of reasons.
Great physical resistance, great damage, great talents (both of them). Phantoming them brings great opportunities. This is your tank. The only problem with them is slow speed.

Destructo-Bot
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Royal Snakes are one of the most powerful units in the game, you'll have them from the very beginning to possibly the very end of the game. Their two space strike always poisons dealing additional damage the next turn, making their damage output much higher than it appears to be at first. They are also reasonably fast and usually plentiful.

My army is comprised thusly:

Inquisitors: They can resurrect stacks that suffer deaths. Their Holy Anger attack refills RAGE and casts bless on your melee troops (bless means the troop does maximum damage every time, so if your snakes have a 6-10 damage range, they'll do 10 damage every time)

Necromancers: These units have an ranged area attack! When you can hit 6 cells at a time your damage output becomes extraordinary. In addition to this, the attack ALWAYS debuffs everything it can hit reducing their morale which reduces their attack, defense, and critical chance. Their talents include Magic Shackles (prevents enemies from using their talents; Running, summon minion, teleport, etc) and Raise Undead, which allows you to resurrect a killed stack (yours or theirs!) as an undead troop which fights for you. Additionally, the multi-cell attack can refill your most of your rage meter in one hit and it does friendly fire damage, so if you've got a bunch of throw-away troops around an enemy (summoned thorns, demons, and phantomed stacks) you can hit your troops for even more rage.

Royal Thorns / Dryads: Royal thorns have nearly 400 health so can tank if they draw attention without losing troops, and both Royal Thorns and Dryads can summon lesser thorns which will usually be targeted by ranged attackers, leaving your regular army untouched. The lesser thorns also do fantastic damage when you get to higher levels. They can spit a lesser thorn stack out every two rounds, which helps you on boss fights as bosses tend to summon units to available hexes... just fill the field up with your own troops!

Demonologists: Can summon demons onto the field; Cerberus (dies faster, but can attack up to 3 cells at once), Executioner and Demons (good tanks and good damage and they can retaliate every time they are attacked... not just once like most other troops). Their talents include life thread, which damages the enemy and resurrects your own troops. They are ranged and do fire damage making them good versus undead and plants.

Royal snakes, for reasons already mentioned. You cast phantom on the snakes (creates 3-turn ghost that has all the abilities of the snake) and send that out to fight, leave the real snakes in the back and just recast phantom when they are killed/dissipate.

Two of those units can RESURRECT your troops, 4 of them are ranged, two of them can refill 10+ rage at once, three of them can summon allies, all of them have no retaliation attacks, two of them do extra damage versus undead and demons, one of them does extra damage versus plants.

Playing with that setup, I have done the game without losing a single unit in my army, and I'm past level 40 now. If you have 40 victories without losing any units, you'll get a +1000 leadership bonus.

Phredster
11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
ok that sounds awesome... i REALLY want royal snakes now... but you say they are available from the VERY beginning... well not for me at least not yet, i have looked in the little village opposite the castle, nothing, i have been to some animal tamer tent, he only has wolves and some other stuff, the Knight's tent obviously has knights hmm maybe in the swamps...

What i DO like about the Paladin class early on is that you have the spell "resurrection" RIGHT away, meaning i can resurrect once per turn without inquisitors which i have not found yet anyway...

So should i stick with Paladin then? I just want to be able to finish the game alright and not be screwed later on :(

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Debir Island? hmm not sure i am on the main continent starting zone near the King's Castle... i will look out for Royal Snakes though...

Damn that sounds bad, so would you recommend i restart as a mage now or should i keep going as Paladin anyway? i did like 4-5 quests already hmmm.... if you say it really will be better and easier as a Mage i might have to restart... :confused:

stay cool. Paladin is a good class. you will get all the spellcasting ability that you want anyway.

Upgrade your skills systematically until you get ressuraction 3, then upgrade your voice of the dragon to level 3, then persuasion and other skills (from warrior and mage).

You got ressurection spell for your paladin? hm, i wasn't that lucky to have it so soon. Just make sure you learned the spell. If it's a scroll, that wait until you can learn the spell.

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Playing with that setup, I have done the game without losing a single unit in my army, and I'm past level 40 now. If you have 40 victories without losing any units, you'll get a +1000 leadership bonus.

what class are you playing? level 40 and you are using inquisitors?
Of all these only necromancers are worth keeping at this level.

Destructo-Bot
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm playing with a Mage. And I disagree with your assessment. There are a hundred ways to setup an army, many of them equally effective. Just because you have a different preference doesn't make another setup lesser.

Inquisitors keep rage full and troops alive. Damage isn't the be all, end all. That troop lets me utilize the Dragon every turn and keep my melee stack full. I also use sacrifice on my Royal snakes to increase the numbers of my Necromancers and Demonologists as my leadership increases, the Inquisitors restore the stack to full after the sacrifice, then I use a second sacrifice on the snakes and use the demonologists life thread to resurrect the stack again.

Inquisitors are versus: Demons, Undead
Demonologists are versus: Demons, Plants and provide off tanks to the phantomed snakes.
Royal Snakes are versus: Humans, Animals, Bosses and are phantomed to be tanks/damage.
Necromaners are versus: Everything that suffers morale penalties, and provides off-tanks to the phantomed snakes.
Royal Thorns/Dryads provide off-tanks to the phantomed snakes.

With that army I'll use higher magic to phantom the demonologists and have two stacks of demons on the field first turn, plus a stack of thorns, plus a stack of phantom royal snakes. With the Necromancers I'll have even more throwaway stacks in the coming turns. I can fill a battlefield with stacks of troops, cast Mana Spring on them and get all my mana back for more spells. That's 9 troops on the field instead of 5 in the very first turn. And this army only gets STRONGER as the battle goes on, as the demonologist and thorns can summon indefinitely. If you need additional undead raised or ressurections, you can phantom the Necros, Demonologists, or Inquisitors and their talents will be available again.

Demonologists and Inquisitors are tolerant and don't mind Undead or Demons in the army. There is no morale loss for my army composition. It works just fine!

I have over 2 million gold at this point, and I've bought all the artifacts I even think I might use. When you don't have to spend money replenishing your army (no-loss and sacrifice + resurrect) you end up swimming in gold.

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh man, you should have played warrior instead.. Your tactics is viable, but you are not taking full advantage of later units in game. I would like to see how you cleared the Montero dragon cave with this set up.

you dont need inquisitors once you have rage accumulation level 3.
Paladins are the best ressurection units in your game and are much more stronger units.

Snakes are very low hp. And can easily be feared, blinded, turned to sheep (which computer loves to do). If you want a source of poison damage, use poison skull (mine did 4500 damage each turn)

As for royal thorns, if I am right, there is no way to ressurect them or heal except for paladin. Your thorn summons are low level units that have low attack/defense which implies they will not do much damage, and die extremely quickly. God save you from some fire damage...

In my last game I had mostly a daemon army that was more or less useless because my enemy was dead long before my troops could make a move.

My mage experience can be described shortly this way:

I used Necromancer Plague + School of Pirahna level 2 + Geyser Level 3 (later changed to blackhole level 3) + Fiery dragons (80 rage). My archdaemons delivered the final blow.

If you want some damage numbers:
1. Necromancers Plague: ALL enemy troops (that are not undead or daemons) loose a portion of their attack, defense, and 20% of health. This is paving the way for damaging spells

2. First damaging spell: 20 mana, level 2 School of pirahna. It did about 3000-4500 damage to most of the enemy troops. (blackdragons suffer too from it!!). thanks to plague. The effective hp damage is higher by 25%.

4. Second and most powerful damaging spell (thanks to higher magic level 3): BLACK ♥♥♥♥ING HOLE. Level 3 Chaos magic. 60 mana. ASTRAL DAMAGE (nobody can resist it) 10 000 - 14 000 hp damage to all enemy troops!!!. Effective damage again 25% higher thanks to Plague. In case I fight against Gremlin towers, I use geyser.

5. Accumulated rage: Dragon ability fiery dragons. 3200-3700 astral damage (80 rage). Well. after this.. there isn't very much anything left of my enemy.

For your knowledge this combination kills at least 23 red dragons in a stack...

----
On lower levels I was using ball of lightning with mark of blood. Some guy on official forum had a screenshot were he delivered 130 000 damage in one blow with this combination :)

Destructo-Bot
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Sounds pretty good, but unfortunately I don't have two of those spells... piranha or black hole. I just found geyser a few fights ago and I'm level 43 right now.

I've cleared most of the islands... Debir, Scarlet Wind, Rusty Anchor, Bola, Verona, Dersu, Elon, Namless, Tekron, and Umkas. Most of Montero, Verona, and Elon are clear save for one or two major enemy heroes and I just got the scroll for Reha and have cleared about half of that so far. Shettera needs some work yet, and I have Uzala but just haven't visited it yet.

The good thing about my setup so far is that it is easy on both mana and rage, so I'll end the battle full on both and can start the next battle with both meters full and just keep steamrolling across the map. With transmute you get mana every time a troop dies, so if a summoned stack does get killed off it just means more mana for me. It's a trickle for summoned creatures, but it really is free mana and adds up when you have 10 summoned troops on the field.

Basically my style is that of a Summoner. The more temporary troops I can get on the field the better.

MysticTheurge
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Basically my style is that of a Summoner. The more temporary troops I can get on the field the better.

In this case you should consider
1. Maximizing your intelligence. Key stat for getting bigger summons
2. Summonner skill in magic tree
3. Summon Phoenix spell. Order magic level 3. This one is a real beast. It levels up very nice. The ancient phoenix is incredible. Is able to resurrect some of your troops and himself after dying. It does tremendous ammount of damage.
4. Transmute gives only half the mana for your summons. Which is still not bad since you get double mana for the deaths of your troops. So it's the same as if you killed an enemy troop.

Do you play AP or crossworlds?
Orcs in Crossworlds have this adrenaline thinkgthat basically makes them much more powerful after every kill. So feeding them fith summon kills will make them a real pain in the ♥♥♥.

Destructo-Bot
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Just armored princess, might pick up crossworlds at some point.

MysticTheurge
11-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Just armored princess, might pick up crossworlds at some point.

for the crossworlds you might need to start again the game. It's too later already. Finish your current game.

Dazzled
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
3. Summon Phoenix spell. Order magic level 3. This one is a real beast. It levels up very nice. The ancient phoenix is incredible. Is able to resurrect some of your troops and himself after dying. It does tremendous ammount of damage.
♥♥♥.

It does not seem to level up very well. Palying on Crossworlds and the damage/life of the bird does not scale well with intellect. At the start is is an excellent damage dealer but endgame it's weaker than pretty much any other summoned creature.

Cryora
11-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Ghosts can be pretty useful, although they lower the morale of your human troops. Their attacks regenerate them and can even create new ghosts. They also have strong defense against physical attacks.

I'm still on the first island, but I've pretty much cleared most of the monsters out. Currently using Ghosts, Royal Snakes, Guardsmen, Swordsmen, and Archers as a Warrior. Also have Spirits of Rage with the scale spirit unlocked.

Phredster
12-01-2010, 12:54 AM
im still on the first island too but i looked in a lot of places, just can't find ROYAL SNAKES... where did you find yours?

Destructo-Bot
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
In the Snake Catcher's hut near the Tower which is near the undead castle.

lyravega
12-02-2010, 07:09 AM
In my opinion, Mage is the easiest, you might have some trouble till you get higher Leadership, although on the long run, you'll be fine. Your pet will be a treasure digger most of the time, if you're lucky and/or invest in some skills from might however, it may catch up, and assist you with mana and such lets say.

Hardest is Warrior in my opinion, you'll have higher Leadership, but your spell book will be limited MUCH, and some spells (well, resurrection, healing for example) will be very weak / maybe not even worth using. Your pet abilities will be much better (and it'll level up really fast - as you can get it's skill/feat much more earlier), but they do not replace a spell book of course. But as Warriors have higher Defense&Attack, lower tier troops will be much more devastating against same tiers.

Also, a tip for the starters: Royal Snakes and Royal Thorn (red ones) are good. Really good. In fact, Royal Snakes are the best units against bosses. And Royal Thorns (I think it's static, you can get 2-3 from the first island I guess) summon other thorns as cannon fodder (folder or fodder?). That way, you can achieve +leadership medal much more faster. If you're focusing on that medal, I also suggest bringing Inquisitors and Priests, if you calculate well, you may resurrect some of your troops, and end the battle without any casualties. Although, as they don't have much HP (especially Priests), you might want to get rid of them as soon as possible. And don't forget to check & take notes of what artifacts & spells are available, so that you might get them when you have enough gold.

MysticTheurge
12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I am doing a second run with warrior, and I must say it's a great class to play. Ironically, I found that the dragon has a greater use for ..mage. It scales well with my damaging spells.

Besides, mage is the only class that can summon 3 ball of lightning at the beggining of first round. Combine this with Mark of blood from gorguanas, and you can instantly kill 96% of ANY 3 stacks (regardless how big they are)

Hell you don't even need an army with mage. Just some units to finish off the remains of enemy army. My final game stats are
50% of all damage done with spells (mostly school of piranha, geyser black hole)
25% pet dragon
25% my units

Royal snakes are weak against bosses. Were did you guys come with this idea? They die way too easy. The real tanks in this game are Knights, Black Nights, Paladins, Horsemen and Ghosts.

lyravega
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
You attack from range. You don't go in melee with royal snakes. And park someone next to bosses with high HP that you can also heal. They make boss fights much too easy - that is, if you're planning not to lose even a single unit through entire campaign.

Never!
12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have a guide for playing a paladin?

Phredster
12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
^^ That'd be great for me as well...

ok i am level 4 now, and finally got some regular Bears and Inquisitors... loving them as my priests and wolves really started sucking...

anyone else have trouble with the DIRECTIONS DESCRIPTIONS in this game? for instance some guy tells me there is a cave that looks like a skull near a road with a forest... yeah right there are TONS of little forests not to speak of the whole VERLON FOREST area so where the hell am i supposed to start looking lol?

MysticTheurge
12-03-2010, 05:55 PM

ok i am level 4 now, and finally got some regular Bears and Inquisitors... loving them as my priests and wolves really started sucking...

anyone else have trouble with the DIRECTIONS DESCRIPTIONS in this game? for instance some guy tells me there is a cave that looks like a skull near a road with a forest... yeah right there are TONS of little forests not to speak of the whole VERLON FOREST area so where the hell am i supposed to start looking lol?

just kill everything that moves. In the end some of your victims will end up being quests :D

Never!
12-03-2010, 07:54 PM

Sadly, Im level 10 and no where as effective as my roommates mage. Im not sure if it's me or the mage class.

Liza
12-04-2010, 08:56 AM
ok that sounds awesome... i REALLY want royal snakes now... but you say they are available from the VERY beginning... well not for me at least not yet, i have looked in the little village opposite the castle, nothing, i have been to some animal tamer tent, he only has wolves and some other stuff, the Knight's tent obviously has knights hmm maybe in the swamps...

What i DO like about the Paladin class early on is that you have the spell "resurrection" RIGHT away, meaning i can resurrect once per turn without inquisitors which i have not found yet anyway...

So should i stick with Paladin then? I just want to be able to finish the game alright and not be screwed later on :(

From your description it sounds like you are playing Kings Bounty: the Legend and not Kings Bounty:Armored Princess.
People here are talking about KB:Armored Princess and locations there.
So I can definitely understand if you can't find the Royal Snakes :)
I haven't played the Legend much, so I can't help you with the snakes there.

derkaderka
12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
i just got the crossworlds expansion and decided to play again. before, i had played armored princess a little (and the original), as a paladin but only the first few islands, level 10-14 maybe.

i've found my mage more difficult at these levels. of course my dragon is much higher level than me. most of my damage is from my dragon pet (50% average) and my success is completely dependant on my rage. as a paladin i had more rage and more red talent points to max the rage pool. paladin has more leadership and more rage.

as a mage, i had run out of "yellow" equal/strong enemies to fight. i have found that the +leadership stat is very important to overcome this (at least at early levels) but as a mage i have much less red talent points.

i had to resort to buying rage potions to beat some lethal and very strong opponents so that i could beat some guys guarding new maps, and then get enough xp to level up and to the point that i could find some enemies that were yellow strength. i had this problem with my paladin as well but i never had to resort to using rage potions to overcome the issue.

as a mage i am using inquisitors for rage, royal snakes and polar bears, and recently added an ogre and a cyclops. basically my army has to have large hp to stay alive long enough for my rage/dragon to kill the enemy. i'm also trying to upgrade my magic spells but its too early for them to be more powerful than my dragon. i use trap, stoneskin, awaken dragon, etc. my ogre has some nice spells too.

my dragon does 800-1000 single target damage or 400-600 to the whole map. i can't upgrade my dragons damage beyond that until i raise my rage capacity.

w00ties
12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Does anybody here have any tips for Kings Bounty: The Legend? I just started this game today and apparently I'm terrible, about 90% of the fights I run into I'm incapable of winning.

I'm a Level 2 Paladin (can't seem to find enough fights that will let me level up) playing 'Normal' difficulty and I just bought some Swordsmen, Priests and Bowmen from the castle. I'm still on my second quest I believe (deliver the Royal Seal to the old King) but I'm having a pretty dreadful time traversing the landscape (every person I pass chases me and they're all far superior to me). At the moment I'm running around and picking up banners at random as I try to get to my objective with as few fights as possible.

Is there any part of the map that has a bunch of low level enemies I can use to level up?

A couple bullet points on the basic things that should be accomplished would be great.

EDIT: I just purchased a bunch of Royal Snakes and they made a world of difference. I didn't think one troop could matter so much, I can actually win the majority of the fights I pick now. Tips would still be welcome though :)

Dazzled
12-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Perhaps I remember wrongly but the first Spirit of Rage in The Legend needs a lot of snakes(or was it spiders?) to sacrifice in order to unlock. I made the mistake of getting them killed in the beginning and was stuck for half the game without the rage spirit :(

viceice85
12-24-2010, 05:55 PM
I beat it quite handily on normal diff without any problems as a paladin for AP and then a warrior for KBTL...now im doing AP again with the whole orc thing as a mage...

the best tips I could give are to choose good troop types...dont take more then one type of archer like class in the begin as bowmen plants and all the other low tier archers have meager hp and if anyone quick enemies get in their way you can kiss them goodbye..However priests are useful early game and are a decent archer type...

Also for army types its best to start off with mostly human type units as its easier to boost their morale...stay away from demon or undead armies since undead will lower most troops morale spare a few...and demons are hard to recruit and expensive

If you are playing KB once the best rage spirit by far is the Reaper...Dont even bother getting his one ability that moves a person away just concentrate on his 2 damage dealing abilities especially the one that can get rid of a select amount of troops as that pays over huge the farther you get into the game.

vashts1985
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
with the right gear you can build a pretty stupid powerful army of pirates and marauders for early to mid level. they dont do well in defense though so you will be replacing units quite often as they last, but a full stack of pirates will cut though almost anything without problem.

Thorn hunters > bowmen imo. you can get them on the battlefield quicker and they get powerful with high numbers. not that great later in the game. grab cyclops for ranged during mid. as supply lasts they will last you late into the game. hard as hell for your opponent to take out even one and they have no range limit (that i seen). evil beholders can be fun with the mind control.

Dragons dragons dragons! green for mage, black for anyone else. mix in some red for some extra firepower.

not delt with undead or daemons or orcs but im sure some have their merits.

Donners
12-26-2010, 04:33 PM
COuple of newbie questions:

- Do the troop numbers at castles and the like replenish over time?
- Do enemy groups respawn, or are they gone forever once you clear them out?

vashts1985
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
1. no
2. no

note about 1. sometimes completing quests for shops and castles will change what mercs are available at them, so if you exhaust one shop and complete a quest for him, he might then have a horde of mercs available.

Donners
12-27-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks. Probably not a good sign that I've already run out of several troops at the starting town. :(

Dazzled
12-27-2010, 10:35 AM
If you are a mage be a summoner and use these spells: Phoenix, Demon Gate, Ice Ball , Call of Nature... and the ultimate summoning spell Chaos Dragon !

I just stumbled upon the Chaos Dragon spell yesterday and since then I have been slaughtering armies who both outnumber and outlevel me while taking zero casualties ! As far I have seen that is the most powerful creature in the entire game.

Donners
12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm a Paladin unfortunately (chose that before seeing this thread). I have a resurrection spell now, at least, which helps cut some of the losses.

vashts1985
12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm a Paladin unfortunately (chose that before seeing this thread). I have a resurrection spell now, at least, which helps cut some of the losses.

as a paladin, my suggestion is NOT to focus on the mind branch so much as the might and magic.

i know that sounds counter intuitive but hear me out.

a warrior gets his strength from the numbers in his armys, and from the aid of Rage and a few spells a turn. the Mage gets his strength from high level spells, and a bit of help from rage.

the paladin is a combination of both, so you will want to focus on your rage, and focus on your spells, and supplement with your army.

so when you chose to spend your runes, i would suggest spending on might and magic first, then finding stuff in mind to buy. in might you will want to fill out the rage tier as fast as possible, and in magic you will want to get your spell levels up and add mana.

it does not matter what class you play, a well placed fireball/dragon dive first round can do well to even the odds for your army.

Bonedoctor
12-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Ill make this easy =) ..It depends solely on your play style !

If you like range attacks,then go mage .If you like up in your face combat with huge melee hits ,go warrior. If you like to use melee and range and have bonus healing but weaker damage ,go pally.

Each class supports different creatures in game. So, if you like using spiders and animals to fight ,choose warrior. If you like the knights and inquisitors ,choose pally. If you prefer all range attackers like bowmen then take mage.

All 3 classes are fun and realistically ,youll end up playing through with all 3 eventually =). As you play and learn more youll want to start another class just to use certain spells or skills hehe, very fun game with great replay value !

SugarySnax
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM

I couldn't find the royal snakes either, but I discovered the problem. You have to buy one of the items in the snake catcher's hut on the first island before the royal snakes are displayed openly. I bought the boots, clicked on the hut and voila, royal snakes. You might also be able to see them if you move through some arrows on the warriors for sale, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyhow, I had already gone on to the fourth island by using priests and inquisitors which are very powerful becuase of all the rage they build and that gives you many uses of the pet dragon. I originally hadn't known that these units could be divided so that you could have all five warrior slots filled with nothing but inquisitors if you want. Click on the inquisitor or any unit, then look for the arrows in in open slot and click on the arrows. It will let you choose how many troops to move into that spot and how many you keep in the original spot. You can also reconsolidate the troops at any time simply by clicking on each unit that is the same. None of this is explained in the tutorial, but it's very useful. Also useful is knowing what is meant by fighting in stacks. I'd never seen this in any game before. You can have fifty troops but only one shows in the troop slot if they're all the same.

I made it quite a ways through the game totally confused about what was going on. How are people getting hurt but then having a full green health bar? It's because one or manh of the units in this troop have been killed and now you're looking at the health of just the troop on top. This also explains why a health spell doesn't take you very far as for many troops, one strike by an enemy will kill a dozen units.

The curtains were pulled from my eyes and suddenly I could see what was going on and what all the numbers meant. Great game, lousy tutorial.