PDA

View Full Version : Shift or Hot Pursuit?

Dustenza
11-28-2010, 10:38 AM
I want a racing game really bad, and with Thanksgiving weekend sales and upcoming Cyber Monday sales around the corner I think now is the best time to buy. I need help deciding between 2 deals: Need for Speed Shift for $20, or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for $35.

I have played the NFS:Shift demo often and love it! I haven't tried the new Hot Pursuit game out, but it looks like a lot of fun. So which one should I buy? I heard Hot Pursuit doesn't feature the cool cockpit view that Shift added to the series. I'm leaning towards Shift b/c I love the cockpit view... I have also read that Hot Pursuit is a straight up console port that has limited settings, no option for AA, and bland visuals.

I will be playing the game I choose on my PC:

Intel Core i5 750
4GB DDR3 XMS RAM
ASUS 1GB 5850
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Zikco
11-29-2010, 04:52 AM
If you want Pure Arcade, get Hot Pursuit.
If you're more into a sim-like experience, get Shift.
They're both good in their own right.

Simple as that. :D

(If you can; get both)

Astaco
11-29-2010, 08:46 AM
If you want Pure Arcade, get Hot Pursuit.
If you're more into a sim-like experience, get Shift.
That sums it up pretty much.

Shift is more a racing experience like GRID, TOCA, DIRT etc.
I think this game is better played with a wheel instead of keyboard.

Hot pursuit is definitely more an arcarde game like N.I.C.E., Interstate, Flatout etc.
I prefer playing this with a keyboard (not a wheel).

For single player they are both great, but for multiplayer I prefer Hot pursuit, because of it's action.

Shoot_me
11-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Hot pursuit is way too scripted.. to the point of being cumbersome and tedious.

isamu99
12-02-2010, 03:32 AM
I don't have the game yet, but from what I've seen and read, the amount of in-game cutscenes that interrupt the flow of the race during gameplay would drive me absolutely up the wall! This is the main thing that's preventing me from buying HP.

Shoot_me
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't have the game yet, but from what I've seen and read, the amount of in-game cutscenes that interrupt the flow of the race during gameplay would drive me absolutely up the wall! This is the main thing that's preventing me from buying HP.

Well, there is NO shortage in the amount of cut-scenes that you'd have to endure if you play NFS:HP...

Start an event? CUT-SCENE!!
End an event? CUT-SCENE!!
Hit random-in-the-way-traffic car? CUT-SCENE!!
Wreck, but not really wreck your car? CUT-SCENE!!
Hit a racer with an EMP/Spike strip? CUT-SCENE!!

........... do ANYTHING in the game? CUT-SCENE!!

At least it all looks pretty, and when the game actually LETS you play.. it can end up being fun, but it has more cut-scenes than XBOX or STEAM games have achievements...

.... I posted a reply! achievement!!!!!1!!oneoneone!!!11

isamu99
12-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Well, there is NO shortage in the amount of cut-scenes that you'd have to endure if you play NFS:HP...

At least it all looks pretty, and when the game actually LETS you play.. it can end up being fun, but it has more cut-scenes than XBOX or STEAM games have achievements...

Wow.

Yeah, I'll wait til there's a patch or community mod to edit that cutscene crap out of the game.

MrDowst
12-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Wow.

Yeah, I'll wait til there's a patch or community mod to edit that cutscene crap out of the game.

What also would be cool was if the cutscenes didnt play full screen, but are shown in an extra window on the side, or are displayed in the rear view mirror :D

Actually, I find myself using the cutscenes to my advantage... e.g. before very tight S-shaped turns, provoke a cutscene, and while it plays, the AI takes you through the difficult turn at close to maximum speed :)

Shoot_me
12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
What also would be cool was if the cutscenes didnt play full screen, but are shown in an extra window on the side, or are displayed in the rear view mirror :D

Actually, I find myself using the cutscenes to my advantage... e.g. before very tight S-shaped turns, provoke a cutscene, and while it plays, the AI takes you through the difficult turn at close to maximum speed :)

Be careful with that!! Don't don't do this when you're playing as the police and are coming up on a four-way intersection (you against only ONE racer events). I have ended up having to backtrack because the cut scene took me down one road but the racer went down another from the intersection.

ozgeek
12-14-2010, 11:54 AM

What do you expect? All racing games made by Criterion Games have this annoying fancy cutscenses for everything you do. you crash, it shows a crash scene, you notch another car it does the cutscene, you do a bust, it shows the takedown-style cut-scene very similar to burnout.

So basically the police pursuits of NFS:HP is bascially a cut down version of the "Road Rage" event of Burnout series.

Lolinator111
12-14-2010, 11:23 PM

at least that one is fun to watch (esp when the AI does stupid things and 3 cars run through a spike strip while you were about to nearly crash) :)

isamu99
12-15-2010, 01:39 AM
What do you expect?

I expect Criterion to come to their senses and realize they need to keep that bull♥♥♥♥ out of racing games, arcade, action or otherwise. It seriously detracts from the experience and seriously breaks the immersion of the race. It is nothing but an annoying hinderence to the gameplay. Why in the world they feel the need to implement such a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ feature is beyond me. I don't need to see my car crash into the wall or make a huge jump in some stupid 360 degree Hollywood fashion "action scene" every 10 seconds. That kind of stuff is for 12yr olds.

I say we all boycott all future Criterion racing games until they agree to take this garbage out of their games. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ozgeek
12-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Yeah agreed. I first saw this rubbish in first Burnout. Burnout Paradise has it too.

At least they captioned NFS: HP. That's what I am happy with. Burnout Paradise had too much talk and no captions.

trusteft
12-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Isn't there an option to disable these "action scenes"?

Lolinator111
12-15-2010, 02:52 AM
they probably include these cut scenes, because it makes them look good at what they can do. they feel proud.

tnk343
12-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Hot Pursuit is VERY consolish.
Shift is way better imo.

BHawthorne
12-15-2010, 04:49 AM
If you have a wheel, stay away from Hot Pursuit. It's horrid with a wheel. Totally unplayable with my Fanatec PWTS. At the moment this game is the worst purchase decision I've made in all of 2010 (and I own over 300 games on my Steam account). Shift is a MUCH better game than Hot Pursuit.

Sac_Soul
12-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Don't buy either via Steam (which sucks to say, I like Steam). EA will not/does not support their games (especially Steam releases), so any issues you have will likely remain forever. I would recommend buying a real copy if you really, really want one. That way you can return it or sell it once you realize it was a waste of money.

isamu99
12-16-2010, 02:41 AM
If you have a wheel, stay away from Hot Pursuit. It's horrid with a wheel. Totally unplayable with my Fanatec PWTS. At the moment this game is the worst purchase decision I've made in all of 2010 (and I own over 300 games on my Steam account). Shift is a MUCH better game than Hot Pursuit.

Hello BHawthorne. Thanks for the impressions. I was going to buy HP but now I'm having second thoughts after reading your posts.

I too, have a wheel and DEFINITELY plan on playing the game with it, as I do all my other racing games(arcade or otherwise). I have heard that EA's patch eliminated the horrible deadzone in the analog steering.

Out of curiosity, are you making these comments even with the steering deadzone patch applied? If so, what is it about playing the game with the wheel that you find so appalling? Please be specific, as I am seriously on the fence and am leaning toward buying it just so I can play with the wheel.

Ragnokak
12-16-2010, 07:25 AM
The cut-scenes are not that bad as people would have you believe. Some people just don't like depth to their game beyond getting from point A to point B. Impatience isn't cool kids.

Yes there are many, but most can be exited asap just by pushing a button and none of them are more then a few seconds. Even the pre-race cut-scene is less then 20 seconds. Frankly, the ones during the race are pretty damn cool IMO and also only 4-5 seconds long like slow-mo of the car behind you hitting the spikes or when the camera zooms in on a ambush cop on the side of the road. You see some pretty vicious wrecks from these that I do find very entertaining.

The main thing to remember with HP is that it was built by Criterion and very much has a Burnout aspect to the game. Sure, Shift is a little more "sim" (I hate to use that word here because after you play real racing "sim" such as Arca Remax Series from http://www.thesimfactory.com/main/ you know that word does not truly fit any NFS title) but IMO HP is way more fun the Shift.

Personally, I have them both and play them both for different reasons. If I had to choose just one though, I'd go HP all the way for overall enjoyment factor.

FYI, My MOMO works wonderfully. To be fair Fanatec doesn't even carry that wheel anymore and the last firmware update was back in April. Great wheel though.

isamu99
12-16-2010, 11:44 PM
The cut-scenes are not that bad as people would have you believe. Some people just don't like depth to their game beyond getting from point A to point B. Impatience isn't cool kids.

Yes there are many, but most can be exited asap just by pushing a button and none of them are more then a few seconds. Even the pre-race cut-scene is less then 20 seconds. Frankly, the ones during the race are pretty damn cool IMO and also only 4-5 seconds long like slow-mo of the car behind you hitting the spikes or when the camera zooms in on a ambush cop on the side of the road. You see some pretty vicious wrecks from these that I do find very entertaining.

The main thing to remember with HP is that it was built by Criterion and very much has a Burnout aspect to the game. Sure, Shift is a little more "sim" (I hate to use that word here because after you play real racing "sim" such as Arca Remax Series from http://www.thesimfactory.com/main/ you know that word does not truly fit any NFS title) but IMO HP is way more fun the Shift.

Personally, I have them both and play them both for different reasons. If I had to choose just one though, I'd go HP all the way for overall enjoyment factor.

FYI, My MOMO works wonderfully. To be fair Fanatec doesn't even carry that wheel anymore and the last firmware update was back in April. Great wheel though.

Thanks for the reply.

Still awaiting a response from BHawthorne....

Hemispheres
12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Hot Pursuit is VERY consolish.
Shift is way better imo.

Very!

SunriseDriver
12-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Shift sucks IMO.
Hot Pursuit is a true NFS game.

Smeggit
12-20-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm on just my 5th race and this is the reason I don't want to play any more. Especially when I pass a cop it always seems to put me back in control when I'm about to hit a side rail.

Hemispheres
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Shift sucks IMO.

No it is not sorry I owned them all from the first dos based game apart from carbon. Hot persuit was a sideline and previously a good on at that, but sadly this time is not.
I also enjoyed burnout and this HP version is closer to that than NFS but still far more limited than either game!
You may disagree but you know then I am going to ask you where is the in car veiw, where is the free drive, where are the car upgrades - settings - tuning oh I could go on and on.

This is why Hot persuit is NOT a true NFS game :/

AlHudsonFX
12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
That way you can return it or sell it once you realize it was a waste of money.

ROFL!!!

Damn it! I want to buy a FANATEC Wheel next year so I'm not playing any racing game to ejoy my future wheel.

Considering that I played all NFS games (until Prostreet) with keyboard and mouse... HP could not be so terrible for me.

NFS have been always arcade (that means that is perfectly played with K&M or a Joystick)

Ragnokak
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm on just my 5th race and this is the reason I don't want to play any more. Especially when I pass a cop it always seems to put me back in control when I'm about to hit a side rail.

That "A" button to cancel the cut-scene is so hard to hit sometimes, I feel for you.

brod
12-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Both are good games, but they're very different from each other.

ps. Cutscenes in NFS:HP mask loading, and I prefer their solution to Shift's long load times.

x3cPeasant
12-24-2010, 07:22 AM
What do you expect? All racing games made by Criterion Games have this annoying fancy cutscenses for everything you do. you crash, it shows a crash scene, you notch another car it does the cutscene, you do a bust, it shows the takedown-style cut-scene very similar to burnout.

So basically the police pursuits of NFS:HP is bascially a cut down version of the "Road Rage" event of Burnout series.

i remember Most Wanted and they had a bunch of cutscenes, though playing cop vs. racer online wasn't as much a part of the game.

I'm glad they did this game, and sure a 'reeduced cut-scene mod' would be welome i am enjoying this game so far (out of cadet training).

brod
12-24-2010, 07:44 AM
In Most Wanted and Carbon the cutscenes could be turned off.

x3cPeasant
12-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Hmm, wish they would add that in a patch then, but they're short, mostly...

While i see how it is an arcade racer the handbrake and tir physics work very well and i think it's more of a Sim of high speed pursuit, so in that right it kinda is a sim. IMO anyways.

BTW playing on a G25 Wheel, it handles like a new car and all my controls are either on the wheel or the shifter... wish this game had manual tranny.

wikku
12-26-2010, 05:05 PM
These cut-scenes are helpy sometimes :P
When you hit other car with EMP and you have spikestrip to forward of you, you will skip spikestrip and you have will not have damage from it. Those cut-scenes last 2-5 seconds, much more annoying is very long loading screen.