PDA

View Full Version : Installing For Win7/Vista

Freyar
11-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes, there is a lot of threads on how to get Deus Ex working properly on various systems. There's also a lot that involve installing surplurfous mods and the like (not that I don't mind HDTP's, it worked well enough for System Shock 2). But, this is a bare-bones work through to get it going right without the "extras".

Step 1: Download/Install Deus Ex: GOTY

Step 2: Run Once

Step 3: Install Direct3D 10 Renderer (Windows Vista/7) [Fixes 32-bit Color Crash]
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm

step 4: Run Again, Options, Display, Rendering Device. Select "Show All Devices"

Step 5: Set desired resolution. Select "OKAY", THEN go back and set 32-bit color.

Step 6: Download and "install" DeusEx launcher. [Fixes inconsistent speed problems]
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/#binaries

Step 7: Force V-Sync through nVidia Control Panel or ATI CCC. [Fixes Audio Stuttering]

Step 8: Install OTP UI Fix [Fixes scaled UI]
http://deusex2.filefront.com/file/OTP_UI_Fix;84991

You will need to use Launcher.exe from this point on in order to get the speed fix to work. Other launcher/utilities that kept the Steam Overlay working properly did not fix that issue.

emmanuel
11-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Well shouldn't have valve done this int he first place? ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥it I can't play!

Freyar
11-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Well shouldn't have valve done this int he first place? ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥it I can't play!

Not ValvE's job. They sell as-is, and even then the game is said to work with XP. A bit of tinkering is understandable for OLD games. Remember, 2001 is about when Deus Ex was released.

92Hotel
11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I want to try this new "surplurfous" mod you speak of ;)

Freyar
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I want to try this new "surplurfous" mod you speak of ;)

That's fine. The instructions are there as an effort to make the smallest changes possible. I do like HDTPs, but the guys that I bought copies of Deus Ex for didn't want to go through those hoops. The less steps, the better in this case.

knight_kin
12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Here is another good guide; It's the one I used to get Deus Ex up and running on Windows 7.

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

I use the Dx10 renderer and the Deus Exe.

I run the Dx10 renderer with HDR, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and other effects enabled.

The Deus Exe program fixes the inconsistent speed problems, audio problems (v-sync), resolution adjustment, 32 bit color issues and UI fixes all in one tool.

emmanuel
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Not ValvE's job. They sell as-is, and even then the game is said to work with XP. A bit of tinkering is understandable for OLD games. Remember, 2001 is about when Deus Ex was released.
The only reason I buy older games through steam is for the guaranteed compatibility with my current system. I still have my Deus Ex cd's lying around. Why do you think I would buy a game through steam that I already own other than that reason?

P.S. the fix didn't work.

Loppsided
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM

That's an answer I'd expect from anyone but Valve. You and I both know that Steam is perfectly capable of warning people that a game they are about to buy won't run on their operating system. By not doing so they are going to be ticking people off. An angry customer who's angry for no good reason is still an angry customer, and one who's going to be much more likely to jump ship when an alternative comes along.

Better yet, a company like Valve should step up their game and make it their job to ensure all games that they sell play on modern operating systems. It's going to take that level of dedication if they expect to remain a leader in the digital distribution market.

sweenish
12-20-2010, 12:29 PM
The only reason I buy older games through steam is for the guaranteed compatibility with my current system. I still have my Deus Ex cd's lying around. Why do you think I would buy a game through steam that I already own other than that reason?

P.S. the fix didn't work.

you've been buying games for the wrong reason. basically all older games on steam require tinkering, and a few times, even that doesn't work.

Scorcher24
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Dont you risk getting your account banned when you modify the files?

StrikeQ
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Bought the Deus Ex pack on sell, so far Deus Ex: GOTY edition has finished downloading and I was able to go through the training level with no issues (haven't gone farther) without having to mod anything or use any 3rd party programs.

Win 7 x64

Scorcher24
12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
For me the Sound was borked. With the Mods it runs fine. But I pray that they wont ban my account for it.

Jito463
12-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Dont you risk getting your account banned when you modify the files?

Short answer, no.

DacK
12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Bought the Deus Ex pack on sell, so far Deus Ex: GOTY edition has finished downloading and I was able to go through the training level with no issues (haven't gone farther) without having to mod anything or use any 3rd party programs.

Win 7 x64

Well, for me it won't even launch.

I'm so disapointed. :( (Deus EX : IW launch but i got a black screen after i select my caracter...

alehm
01-29-2011, 08:32 PM
MUTHAFREAK!! I just want to launch this game and play for a bit. I don't want to do any software operation to get the dayum thing to work. Oh well, I will another time. One can only resist the urge to Deus Ex for so long....

wexer9
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks for providing this so that modern users can play this great game. :)

Although I have no problems playing it out of the box on Windows 7 64-bit.

Briticent
02-02-2011, 06:56 AM
That's an answer I'd expect from anyone but Valve. You and I both know that Steam is perfectly capable of warning people that a game they are about to buy won't run on their operating system. By not doing so they are going to be ticking people off. An angry customer who's angry for no good reason is still an angry customer, and one who's going to be much more likely to jump ship when an alternative comes along.

Better yet, a company like Valve should step up their game and make it their job to ensure all games that they sell play on modern operating systems. It's going to take that level of dedication if they expect to remain a leader in the digital distribution market.

I totally agree with this. A considerable number of players are going to be using W7 so it is up to Valve to either make it clear that the game might not work on W7 or they should include any extra mods/downloads/patches that are requireed to make it work.

Kaze2000
02-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Soo.... having played this back in the day on a decent system (which is probably less powerful than my cell phone now XD ) how well do the textures stand the test of time, and how do they look ~1080p resolution? (specifically: 1680x1050)

I don't mind playing with the the original ones, but having some fan made ones that help to make Deus Ex look as good now as it did then would be nice =)

I've yet to actually sit down and fix this game to get it working properly.... I've had a whole host of problems with it >=(