PDA

View Full Version : Dev mode questions.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 02:00 PM
So I've been playing around with it for a bunch of hours now and I pretty much understand how to create a basic level... what I'm wondering is:

has anyone else has issues with things placed in the "active tile" layer not staying on that layer? Usually the first 1-3 objects I place stay put, then for no apparent reason, things don't stay there anymore. They slide around like they're parallaxing (as if they are sitting in the foreground or background). I tried changing my screen from windowed to full and turning off steam community in case they're messing with it, but to no avail.

I'd love to chat with people about what they've figured out so far. I managed to find the keys to make corners and half-tiles!

Tagmannn
12-04-2010, 02:01 PM
How do you even get dev mode? x.x

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 02:04 PM
This or the SMB wiki have the info.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1630925

Tagmannn
12-04-2010, 02:09 PM
What wiki?
And where is the command line it is talking about.
Sorry about all the questions. :3

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 02:13 PM
The Super Meat Boy Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Meat_Boy

and for the command line:
Right click the game in steam then properties>launch options

Hopefully that helps, now hopefully someone helps me! :P

Tagmannn
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Ok. Last question.
How to I get rid of the -devmode thingy so I can play normally.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Just delete it from the command line and relaunch the game... or just escape out to the main menu, I think that works too.

Tagmannn
12-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks! Time to play around.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, please keep me in the loop if you even just notice what I'm talking about... it's kinda annoying and I want to figure out if it's a bug or I'm just doing something wrong. OK? Thanks.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
bump for answers?

GproKaru
12-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I figured out how to place hazards like saws, salt, ect. iI's not listed there in the steam forum but you press the H key

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, I guess I should report that I've sort of figured out the problem... it seems to have to do with using the horizontal size tool (the + one). Holding shift and scrolling an object seems to break the layer system until you quit and reload your level. So, since there is the scale tool (the x one), it really isn't that big an issue, just don't use the horizontal one.

Next, someone help me figure out how triggers work... I'm talking key blocks, switches and things like that.

Also for corners and half blocks, just hold shift while in tile mode and scroll your mouse wheel.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
To place light objects, you need to switch modes to light mode first by pressing "l". A + will appear. Select the + by right clicking it, this is your light source. Size is represented by a red box. After selecting press F6 to bring up the light properties. If you don't select it first, nothing will happen.

Values from 0 - 255 are accepted with larger numbers radiating a further distance. You may also scale a light source by selecting it and holding ctrl while scrolling up or down.

Many times, you will find you've accidentally created an extra light by accident, simply select it and press delete. The editor seems to mistake key presses and focus constantly.

You can also change the levels entire color scheme by pressing F2 at any time.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Another question, how do you set the bounding box for the level that kills the player when they go outside it?

I'm sure it has something to do with setting the level size, but there doesn't appear to be a frame for you to work in aside from those generic blocks. Maybe it's the camera mode that lets you set it?

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, the bounding box is set completely from the movement of the camera.

You go into camera mode by pressing "c" and click to make a small red box which functions as a camera placement node. You can select them by right clicking and it will turn the box green.

You would put these around your level at each key point it seems. When you have one of these camera boxes on the level, passing the boundary past the edge of the screen will automatically kill the player.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Holding "tab" and scrolling will change the orientation of the object you have on your brush.

gibbed
12-04-2010, 05:47 PM
For the camera question, there's camera nodes, and a camera "limit" area. Hold shift in camera mode then click and drag to set a level area.

RockLeeSmile
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah, took me a while to notice that for some reason. I did get it though. Thanks for your reply.

I also just released my first map for download too!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632405

RockLeeSmile
12-05-2010, 10:43 PM
So, can any of you guys figure out the correlation between the ";" key and linking entities? It seems to show collision boxes when you hold it down. I feel like there has to be a way to grab those boxes and open some kind of dialog box so you can set relationships and triggers... I just can't seem to figure out how. Anyone out there know this? Gibbed?

RockLeeSmile
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Just noticed that the dev mode instructions are now missing from the SMB wiki... I wonder what that's about?

Do Team Meat not want us messing about in dev mode? If they don't that's fine... just odd that someone removed some detailed info, but not all of it.

Also, another question, any way to change the default map size from 50x50 to something different without crashing the game? The "new" command doesn't work, and there's a command mapped to F something that also doesn't work.

GproKaru
12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
There is no possible way to change the map size although I am working on a tutorial video right now, covering the basics.

gibbed
12-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Just noticed that the dev mode instructions are now missing from the SMB wiki... I wonder what that's about?

Do Team Meat not want us messing about in dev mode? If they don't that's fine... just odd that someone removed some detailed info, but not all of it.Team Meat has been very positive over twitter with me about using devmode.

Also, another question, any way to change the default map size from 50x50 to something different without crashing the game? The "new" command doesn't work, and there's a command mapped to F something that also doesn't work.http://twitter.com/#!/gibbed/status/11397463432765440

RockLeeSmile
12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks Gibbed, I got to talking to Maxovitsj about it last night and he helped clue me in. You've been a big help though it getting people going and we all appreciate it.

So to GproKaru, yeah that's what I thought as well, but if you extract a certain .zip to your SMB folder, which can be found in the link provided by Gibbed, you can make the palettes show up in the "new" menu and have the game not crash when you use it. Really changes things for the better.

So, now the last question is still how do you set up relationships between objects... I just found out about the F8 menu if you have a hazard selected, but that's not gonna cut it for linking stuff... or making platforms float on a path. Also, has anyone figured out what those numbers and letters in white boxes are in "h" mode? I feel like they may be related to scripts or effects somehow. Has anyone gotten to take apart the retail levels to see?

Thanks in advance.

RockLeeSmile
12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Ok, well apparently most of my questions have already been answered over here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1635231

Thanks to GproKaru for explaining!

RockLeeSmile
12-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Figuring out lasers from the Hospital tile set... place from the "h" mode as usual, then shift + click to select, then press F8 to bring up properties. Time mod and Float 1 and 2 seem to change the duration. Exactly how each modifier changes it is something I'm still working on.

EDIT: so actually Time mod really means it's just a time modifier, it will multiply the speed with which everything else takes place. Float 1 controls the off time, and Float 2 controls the active time. Longer Float 1 times will result in longer down times between pulses and longer Float 2 times will make the laser stay shooting for longer.

RockLeeSmile
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Ok, who's figured out the fans and repulsors? Tried setting attributes in the F8 menu, but wasn't able to get the floating effect.

gibbed
12-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't know if this has been noted somewhere, but if you hold ` while in set piece mode, placing pieces will snap to the grid. This probably applies to other modes too.

GproKaru
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't know if this has been noted somewhere, but if you hold ` while in set piece mode, placing pieces will snap to the grid. This probably applies to other modes too.

yes, I have been using this but forgot to mention it. Well, thanks for doing it before me! xD

RockLeeSmile
12-08-2010, 07:02 PM
bump for relevance