PDA

View Full Version : Is it really necessary...

vortex19464
12-04-2010, 03:46 PM
to force a directx install every time I buy a new game on Steam? I've already got the latest build on my PC. Give me the option to skip this already. That is all.

DRUNKCANUCK
12-04-2010, 03:53 PM
YESH it is

Mangr0v3
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes.

Scorpiuscat
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
There should be a detection routine in the installer that if it sees a minmimum version or better of DirectX that it can skip this step.

Seems pretty easy to me.

MovieMan999
12-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Who cares? It doesn't hurt anything and only takes a minute. Id rather see Steam improved in other ways, personally.

Zrchrn
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
to force a directx install every time I buy a new game on Steam? I've already got the latest build on my PC. Give me the option to skip this already. That is all.

Seriously! I think these "add-on" things should have one install period. Only in situations where (insert special needed software here) is very dependent on a specific version should it be installed again. Punkbuster is another one that doesn't need 50million copies on my computer (I'm looking at you COD4).

ester25
12-04-2010, 04:09 PM
There should be a detection routine in the installer that if it sees a minmimum version or better of DirectX that it can skip this step.

Seems pretty easy to me.

Each DirectX library has its own version, not all parts get updated with each release, so the install already does this, per .dll

So yeah, it is necessary to force DX install.

Scorpiuscat
12-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Who cares? It doesn't hurt anything and only takes a minute. Id rather see Steam improved in other ways, personally.

A version check would be pitifully simple and save everyone a ton of time.

I bought a bunch of games over this last sale and it does get annoying for the installer to install DirectX everytime I install a game.

Tipsy359
12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
in my opinnion i think DirectX is probably the most important to install, surely u understand that?

TheBogStandardU
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
A version check would be pitifully simple and save everyone a ton of time.

I bought a bunch of games over this last sale and it does get annoying for the installer to install DirectX everytime I install a game.

i believe it is a version check it just takes a while so valve doesnt get hundreds of threads going

-Why doesn't my game work???
-Update DirectX
-Ok works now
-sigh...

GirlPower23
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Worms Reloaded is a good example of why you provide updated libraries and force install before you can play.

serieus1
12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I think this is the second such thread in a short while I've seen this. It's autoplay material is all it is. It's trying to make this an easy experience for you. All it does is check the directx files to ensure that everything is there that needs to help make the game run correctly.

Imagine the amount of issues people would have if this wasn't there. I think it's since Win95 that this automatic update with games has been around, this nothing new.

PCs in general, let alone PC Gaming would dwindle if it wasn't for this simplicity approach to installing software. You or I may still be around, but we would be the Mac of the world not the PC any longer.

One way this could be changed is if the check could be done automatically during the download and supposed installation of the game itself.

Either way you still need to give it the time it needs to check if it needs to install or update any directx files.

Eliminating this step would force everyone to go online to look for each individual file needed to run the game. It's your choice on how much extra work you really want to do.

Also, it doesn't reinstall everything, it just checks for necessary files to install the game. Sure, if you play a game from 2000 which uses directx6 (or whatever it was back then) and never use it again, it will take up space on your hard drive. At this point you may want to learn how to delete the unused files, but that can be tricky.

There's always things like this - http://freewareapp.com/dxman_download/

Majesty of War
12-04-2010, 05:23 PM

For Steam users, the most technological illiterate gamers on the planet it is.

You can just cancel it but I agree it is annoying especially since there haven't been that many directx updates compared to over a decade ago when updating directx every other month was necessary.