PDA

View Full Version : Can You Go Wrong For $2.50????

69Rocket_Joe
12-07-2010, 05:26 AM
After reading a couple threads on here I decided to pop for this one at $2.50. Will I be disappointed?????

-Joe

PetusGeekus
12-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Yes.

I hate to say it but reading through the posts here it may be better to *shock* get it from GOG instead with it fully patched and the World Domination Pack.

Don't hit me Steam. I still loves ya!

Pheace
12-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Reading through the posts here? Is installing the patch so difficult? I don't notice any particular problems related to the steam edition?

Kador01
12-07-2010, 08:16 AM
And you can download the bonus cd content from fileplanet. So I'd rather have it on steam with the rest of my games.

valacan
12-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes.

I hate to say it but reading through the posts here it may be better to *shock* get it from GOG instead with it fully patched and the World Domination Pack.

What does the World Dominion Pack add to the game?

KaylaKaze
12-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I haven't had any problems with the Steam version, except, IIRC, it would crash if I tried to run it FROM Steam, after patching. May have to do with the overlay. I'm not sure 'cause it's been quite a while since I played.

fakiyo
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Dunno about Windows Vista / 7 but it runs perfectly on XP.

I love it, it IS worth the money if you're not unable to install it... it was easy for me... and I dont like this kind of games and played it for 3 weeks straight.

T@F
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Just bought it.
So far runs fine on win7 64bit.
Also it is patched even though it says it's not as it's the europe release.

Def a fun game anyway the only thing that's missing from the update is updated textures i think.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10446441&postcount=1
also
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10446669&postcount=3

Def worth the price on steam,if you goto gog.com your paying $9 for it anyway.

simonjames1975
12-07-2010, 10:59 AM
OK this game ain't expensive but I don't want to pay 1.75 for a headache. Briefly reading these forums I see it's had wide screen res problems, crashing when launched through Steam and does not include some free DLC.

This all still true, or have Steam sorted it out ?

Pheace
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
OK this game ain't expensive but I don't want to pay 1.75 for a headache. Briefly reading these forums I see it's had wide screen res problems, crashing when launched through Steam and does not include some free DLC.

Don't see what the widescreen problem is. I changed nothing and the game looks fine for me. There's widescreen options.

There's no free DLC as far as I know? There's the 'Bonus disc' which you can just download online, which wasn't supposed to be part of the original obviously (therefor bonus).

Starting it in steam, I don't know yet, just got it for the digital copy atm.

Just installed the game to test. W7 64bit, 1920x1080 monitor rez. Started from Steam, no crash, no problems. Not sure about the widescreen thing but I can't see the problem, it uses the full screen properly. Upped the res to 1280x960 and it looks perfectly fine. Sure it's not 1920x1080 but the game doesn't need it.

simonjames1975
12-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Don't see what the widescreen problem is. I changed nothing and the game looks fine for me. There's widescreen options.

There's no free DLC as far as I know? There's the 'Bonus disc' which you can just download online, which wasn't supposed to be part of the original obviously (therefor bonus).

Starting it in steam, I don't know yet, just got it for the digital copy atm.

Just installed the game to test. W7 64bit, 1920x1080 monitor rez. Started from Steam, no crash, no problems. Not sure about the widescreen thing but I can't see the problem, it uses the full screen properly. Upped the res to 1280x960 and it looks perfectly fine. Sure it's not 1920x1080 but the game doesn't need it.

Cheers for the reply, I'll give it ago.

jimthev
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Err, they haven't changed anything so whatever workaround you'd have to do before, you still have to do (ie starting outside Steam for some people) and:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904360 for the widescreen discussion

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904868 for patches, bonus disc, etc

http://www.n1nj4.com/EvilPlanet/ is dated but has a lot of files and info on the game.

The game is great, but this version is too inconvenient for what I use Steam for. I pay Steam to maintain patches and dlc, if they don't/won't do it, I'd rather actually own a copy of the game. So in this case, I prefer the GOG version, but to each his own.

Pheace
12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
There's nothing to maintain though. You install the bonus disc, and maybe a patch(saw someone mention his version was already patched). That's it, unless you want to start modding your game. Patches and DLC's haven't been made for this game in years.

So basically gog is 4x the price right now for the 'trouble' of the above? Heck, downloading the game from Gog and then clicking the installer to install it almost comes to the same effort.

Mike JezZ
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I have it on DVD (bought it years ago), and actually wanted to try it on my machine. Worked as a charm. However, there is no widescreen support.

jimthev
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
There's nothing to maintain though. You install the bonus disc, and maybe a patch(saw someone mention his version was already patched). That's it, unless you want to start modding your game. Patches and DLC's haven't been made for this game in years.

So basically gog is 4x the price right now for the 'trouble' of the above? Heck, downloading the game from Gog and then clicking the installer to install it almost comes to the same effort.
Err, this is all true for people that download a game once, play it once on one computer right now when all the external download links work fine, and then move on to other games. This isn't me. This isn't why I use Steam. I use Steam so I can be anywhere and install and play 'my' games on any computer without bothering to find my install discs and key codes and activation tokens and whatever.

If I'm going to have to keep track of files, activations (Evil Genius obviously doesn't have activation limits) and such, I'd rather just own and keep track of all the files (or in this case, have GOG keep track of them).

10 years from now, you might not want to bother with these games, but from personal experience, I know that I will and I won't want to be bothered finding files spread across the net and hope they still exist. This is what personally drove me to digital distribution in the first place. If Steam updated their version of the game and maintained the bonus disc then it would be on par with GOG for this title. They don't, hence it isn't. That your time now and in the future is worth $7.50 is your choice, that's fine, it's ok. Everybody values their time differently and that value changes as you get older. I don't feel it is worth it for me personally.

I don't believe that searching forums for external links to programs, installing them according to forum posts is anywhere near the same thing as downloading the game from the place you bought it. Also, you should read the threads to understand what version actually is being offered compared to what official versions/patches have been released before you decide if you should 'maybe' patch your version of the game or not.

That said. If you only have $2.50 and will be playing the game once, right now and never again .... GET THIS VERSION, GET IT RUNNING AND PLAY IT NOW. It is a great game (it has rough spots, it isn't perfect, but that just makes you love it all the more).

Or just wait for a GOG sale (or GG or D2D or whoever else has better versions and local copies of the bonus disc).

LennardF1989
12-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Guys, chill out about the patch already. As explained by the devs this game is COMPLETELY up-2-date CODEWISE and only a few cosmetic changes are missing. I can confirm this as I compared patched files to the files that come with the Steam version and the ONLY difference is a language file and
the menu not showing version-number.

If you are really desperate to have the full experience, you CAN choose to install the patch which adds the Bonus CD content (really, it's only a few items and a new henchmenu) and various UNOFFICIAL fixes (like base alarm not making a sound anymore after 10 seconds rather than keep going off - ANNOYING -).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638920