PDA

View Full Version : Dejobaan launched a new playable alpha of the next game today!

LeoDejobaan
12-10-2010, 11:49 AM
It may look like Aaaaa! but it uses your own music to generate levels. You can then play "geneticist" with those levels:

1… 2… 3… KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)

http://dejobaan.com/kickit/

As for bringing Alpha purchases to Steam, the best we can promise is that we will ask Steam. If they say yes, we will do it.

And no this does NOT mean we will stop updating Aaaaa! rather it means we will now be able to think about Aaaaa! again.

RoadCrewWorker
12-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Man, the previews for this look absolutely fantastic, i'll definitely buy it for the style alone (although i much preferred the working title, the new name will make convincing some friends to buy it quite difficult :( ). AAAAaaaaaAAAA! worked marvelously with my 3D display/glasses, and this appears to use the same compatible engine, so i'm incredibly stoked.

Something confuses me though, so i'm curious about this:
"uses your own music to generate levels" and "“Kick It” mines your existing MP3 music to build hovering, hallucinogenic worlds to fly and fight through." does seem to imply dynamic combination of level geometry to the layman, not merely synchronizing a few parameters of fixed predefined geometry to simple general current loudness in the frequency domain. Yet a few preview videos showing the editor or automated "jump to your music" vs manual "Tweak a city's DNA to mutate it" seem to indicate that. Can you disclose how far the procedural dynamic generation vs "geneticist" aspects influence the final level and ease my uncertainty?

Somewhat in conjunction with this, do you eventually plan to make the demonstrated level editor public to enable user-designed geometry? Timelapse videos may not be a representative demonstration, but its shown features look incredibly promising to me.

Final obligatory question (only if it's possible to say now): Do you think it might be possible for alpha owners - even if the alpha itself won't appear on steam - to eventually register the finished game (including steam achievements or leaderboards) on their account (similarly to Amnesia or the Humble Indie pack)?

In any case the game looks fantastic already, thanks a ton for this early Christmas present (or for me: perfectly timed birthday present)!

RoadCrewWorker
12-10-2010, 02:32 PM
That plimus.com site (never heard of them before) has declined my offer, never even giving a reason or description why it failed. Took over an hour for someone to even look at the order before turning it down. :mad: At least i got the paypal money back, but what the funk is going on there?

So no preorder for me until this mess is sorted. Teaches me for not using Steam i guess. :(

dejobaan
12-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Hokay! Let me see if I can answer a few of those:

A. Right now, in Kick It, there's a very simple, very ugly screen, where you can twiddle some numbers around. "Fatness" is one genome. :) Twiddle that up, and everything's suddenly ballooney-fat. Turn up the "Twist" genome, and everything appears warped.

2. In Kick-It, I've actually never thought about user-generated geometry. But of course, that could work... Something for me to ponder the tech behind.

D. Here's my official position: If Valve loves Kick It enough to pick it up, AND they're willing to allow pre-orderers to transfer, then why not? We're game!

Thanks. :)

dejobaan
12-10-2010, 02:36 PM
> That plimus.com site (never heard of them before) has declined my offer

Oh. My. God. E-mail me, please.

RoadCrewWorker
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I see, thanks for the quick response! The genome thing sounds interesting and accessible enough to quickly play around with and get interesting results.

Of course my good experience with valve regarding steam has been rather one-sided as a customer so i don't know the full picture, but i'm glad to hear there probably won't be too much hurdles. :)

Regarding the ordering issues, i sent you a PM. Am i wrong in the assumption that the preorder is a relatively simple digital download of some form? Let's hope things clear up eventually.

PsYcHo126
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
The trailer looks sooo cool! :)
I just bought AaAaAA today and im having much fun with it!
It seems like you guys have a very good taste.
Fast & funny games with cool (or the own) music. I think, i'll preorder it soon.
I also like how you guys are supporting your community, i see that some Members of your team are very often here in the forums & answers others peoples. Thats nice ;)

Ok.. sorry if that was a bit offtopic. But i just wanted to say it :) Keep the good work up.

EDIT: And, again a funny name for a game :D
I liked the reaction, when someone in my teamspeak asked me what i was playing. And i wanted to say "AaAaAA". I said to him, that i normaly needed to scream in the microphone to say the name :D

EDIT˛: I hope Steam agree's with it, that you can get it on steam for preorder!

TFBeyond
12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Purchased!

I think the weirdass humour alone sold me on your games :P

Now to download it, load up something thrashy and break my eyeballs off (you can totally do that, I had this cousin once who had a nasty accident involving a revolving door, a surprisingly powerful fridge magnet and a genuine antique cannonball)!

Jalan
12-10-2010, 10:15 PM
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3122/clipboard01kut.jpg

Took me too many replays of the last few seconds to snap that. :D

As for not stopping updates to Aaaaa! - great, but what about the slight (insanely remote) possibility of updating The Wonderful End of the World?

GC13
12-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Great, just great, you had to go and remind me of the Sexy Data Tango! :D

*goes to listen again*

banzaiwolfe
12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm going to take a chance on this one, and hope the preorder will transfer to Steam :). I have two of your other games, so I figure, why not?

dejobaan
12-11-2010, 11:46 AM
As for not stopping updates to Aaaaa! - great, but what about the slight (insanely remote) possibility of updating The Wonderful End of the World?

I'd love to do both. It's a wo/manpower issue at the moment, but that'll hopefully abate. The future is unknown in an awesome way.

_scott
12-11-2010, 12:13 PM
This looks awesome. One pre-order coming. :D

Jalan
12-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd love to do both. It's a wo/manpower issue at the moment, but that'll hopefully abate. The future is unknown in an awesome way.

I can't imagine TWEotW getting any massive updates but at least possibly addressing the shrink bug and (maybe) adding some performance tweaks to it are something I'm hopeful toward.

At most it's good to know you guys aren't brushing it off or under the rug just yet.

Dambrosi
12-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi there, Dejobaan. I made a similarly-themed post in another thread, but I guess, since you're active in this thread, I'll repeat my request here,

Please add controller support to Aaaaa! Feel free to add it to this new game, too, but please consider adding it to Aaaaa! first. Thank you.

Whatever you decide, it's gratifying to see you haven't just abandoned your previous works to the cyber-wastes, unlike some developers I could mention. Well done!

Ruaidhri
12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Well this is awesome

Fëanor_USMC
01-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Ooooh I'd love to pre-order this, but I prefer having all my stuff on Steam. Keeps it all neat and tidy-like. Any word yet on bringing this to Steam?

iMart
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Does the game only use MP3 music or can I use music from iTunes because all my music is from iTunes?