PDA

View Full Version : Is it allowed to let another person play his Steam games on my computer?

7Deadly$ins
12-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Basically why I'm asking this is that my boyfriend wants Amnesia but he has a rather horrible computer that can't run it right. So I was thinking I could let him use my computer when he's over here to play it. I'm just checking that this is legal before I do it though.

Frigid
12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
All the TOS worshipers here will quote some excerpt from the TOS saying its illegal. But honestly, everyone does it - do you think they could even find out? Who wouldn't let someone else play a game on their computer..?

Europhoria
12-10-2010, 11:55 PM
No problems unless you start sharing an account. Steam has a 'install on as many computers and you like' policy but make sure that he buys it on his own account because the game isn't transferable.

7Deadly$ins
12-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Okay -- would I have to buy it too? It isn't really my kind of game but...

Frigid
12-10-2010, 11:57 PM

If HE is on YOUR computer with HIS account and YOU are playing, they say its wrong... but there is no way to find out. It's not like their is finger print identification on the keyboard to tell who is on a steam account.

7Deadly$ins
12-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Okay. Thanks for the info.

B33 ENN
12-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Okay. Thanks for the info.

Wait a moment...

If your boyfriend has his own Steam account and buys his copy of Amnesia on it, then he can come over to your place, and use your computer and Steam install to LOG-IN to HIS own account:

Titlebar Menu > Steam > Change User...

No, but...

If, however, you mean that you buy Amnesia on YOUR account and he comes over to play on your account, that is strictly not something you should be telling us about :)

And, when he goes home to his account on his slow PC, he would have no Amnesia...

whisperity
12-11-2010, 12:48 AM
B33 ENN said it all.

Your friend have a seperate Steam account.
He buys amnesia for his account.
He goes to your house.
He logs in to Steam using his account.
He'll start the game, and Steam will download and install the game on your computer.
As long as he's logged in to his account, he can play Amnesia.
If he goes home, he logins to his account, and also can .download and play the game.
You cannot play the game with your account, even if it shows up in the list, the PLAY button will be a PURCHASE button.
You don't have to pay for the game. Your friend has to, on HIS account.

The only thing you mustn't try in this situation is allowing your friend using your account, or you using your friends', because it's account sharing and against the SSA.

Personal: My brother often plays demanding games on my computer (because mine is newer and better and more expensive :rolleyes:), using his account. The games installed on my computer by him is showing up in my Library, but I cannot launch them, because Steam wants to license them for my account. (This is vica versa, my brother cannot play the games installed and played by me but not registered on his account)

That's how Steam works.

playaR
12-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Works pretty well if you ask me.