PDA

View Full Version : How to make somebody hate a game?

Sa-Matra
12-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Force him to complete some stupidly hard objective with cheap difficulties like random mouse acceleration, balls hitting each other and epilepticly flashing background. My good opinion about Shatter was just multiplied by -1. Brool story, co.

bb10
12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I've had a ball go through the middle of my paddle 4 times now.

Raefzm
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Totally agree with you. This is a ♥♥♥♥ing pain.

TimrodDX
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the three biggest issues with bonus mode:

1. Balls going through paddle
2. Balls bouncing off edges of screen after being hit
3. Balls bouncing off each other at ridiculous angles

Dr. Weird
12-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I think the three biggest issues with bonus mode:

I concur.

doggster
12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
I liked this one 50000% more than Droplitz. Only took 3 tries to get the Shatter objective, compared to 30+ tries with the randomness crapfest of Droplitz.

Forsythia
12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
I think I'm giving up already, all this flashing is giving me a headache. Not to mention it's way too fast. I am not having fun completing this objective, so I quit, uninstall to never play this game again. It's madness!

Teruyo
12-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Really? I didn't find it that hard. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm good at breakout games or something. The circle stage is still bull♥♥♥♥, though.

bobzilla21
12-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Hating a game because of an objective that you're not even forced to do and wasn't even part of the original game seems kinda silly. :/

Forsythia
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I find it hard. I don't mind trying it a few times, but that flashing background kills me. I can turn of sound so no problem there.

Hating a game because of an objective that you're not even forced to do and wasn't even part of the original game seems kinda silly. :/

May seem silly to you, but this whole treasure hunt is to get people to buy games. I'll never recommend this game to anyone because of this. The main game is fun though.

kramit
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
This seems by far the hardest out of all the achievements in the contest and I totally agree... I enjoyed this game until now, now I never want to play it again. Same with the poker one, I actually was pretty curious about that game but the first time I played it was for the contest and I got so pissed off trying to get him to bet his stupid gun that I hate the game now and can't bring myself to play it normally.

Dr. Weird
12-12-2010, 02:19 PM

It's not the objective that we hate, though. The objective drew our attention to how indescribably broken and evil the Bonus Mode is.

Teruyo
12-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Bonus Mode's not that broken. You just gotta predict where the balls will go, rather than react to them when they get in range. You do have to do a bit of reacting (especially when balls hit each other), but you'll do a lot better if you play predictively rather than reactively.

ester25
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
The flashy background really pisses me off. At some points i couldn't see the ball for all the pointless arty stuff.

XtremeDogg
12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
this objective sucks... steam ppl probably cant beat it. (finally beat it out of dumb luck)

TDV SilentSnipe
12-12-2010, 03:21 PM

100% agreed, sick of all this.

It's a fantastic game, but at the moment I just want this achievement, and having to play that annoying bonus mode to get it is a pain :(

Joao_Bernardino
12-12-2010, 03:50 PM
(...) epilepticly flashing background.(...)

This.

I'm almost going crazy just because of the background.

Devs: PLEASE make an update to disable the damn background or just make a static image. I'm sure you don't want to be credited in some epilepsy case.

Sevla
12-12-2010, 03:58 PM
If you can't complete the achiev it's just your fault, sorry but isn't the right choice a bunch of casual gamers crying in the foruns because "omg I don't have enough skills to get the achiev".

Nothing is broken or wrong, that's the way the game works and after some time I got 15.000.000 points, I can reach a higher score if I want.

It's simple: The game is fine and YOU don't have enough skills to reach the points even with a simple game like Shatter.

This seems by far the hardest out of all the achievements in the contest and I totally agree... I enjoyed this game until now, now I never want to play it again. Same with the poker one
ROFLMAO

Seriously... Poker Night is 1000 times easier than real poker, you can reach a winning streak of 100 games easily in this game because the AI is very dumb.

It's sad to see all this "call of duty/halo kids" asspained with such simple tasks in a treasure hunt.

Let's wait for a update with life regen and cover system in Shatter right?

Learn to play and good game, see ya.

Sevla
12-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Btw use a mouse to play, if you use a keyboard or a joystick to move the pad that's the reason you suck so hard.

And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLB2hdCbJek

IamJew88
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
For those complaining about the background..

go play Beat Hazard! and once you get a bit used to it, Shatter will seem like nothing.

doomtack
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I beat this in second try... It's not hard at all... :S

DaveLessnau
12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I have to agree that this achievement is a good way to make people hate the game. I've been playing that Bonus Mode for hours now and simply cannot do it: (9.7 x10^6) is my best. The music is awful (turned off my speakers) and the psychedelic background is nauseating. I got this game for the contest because it looked like something I had some interest in. If the bonus score had been reasonable or if the achievement had been tied to the main part of the game, I'd have been happy. Heck, if progressing in the main part of the game would open up additional Bonus Mode screens, even that would be fine. But I'm really detesting those same three screens with the same muscle-twitch "tactics" for smacking those same nine sprites over and over and over again.

vittau
12-12-2010, 05:14 PM
For those complaining about the background..

go play Beat Hazard! and once you get a bit used to it, Shatter will seem like nothing.So true.:p

czarship
12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
love the story mode. just got the treasure hunt object on the nose after two and a half hours of trial and error.

Levi
12-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I just hate the flashy background. Feels like I'm gonna have a stroke or something if I play too long.

jdub
12-12-2010, 05:36 PM
"Hate" is kind of a strong word in this case, but the Bonus Mode is making me not like to play very much. Unlocking it was considerably more fun, so i don't hate the game, just this objective.

Kerch
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
It's fun. I went back to play the bonus mode again even after getting the achievement.

POOPTURTLE
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Bonus Mode's not that broken. You just gotta predict where the balls will go, rather than react to them when they get in range. You do have to do a bit of reacting (especially when balls hit each other), but you'll do a lot better if you play predictively rather than reactively.

Except when balls literally fly through the center of the mouse or two balls arrive at your paddle's position on opposite ends of the field. You know, that whole luck-based element.

Kerch
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Except when balls literally fly through the center of the mouse or two balls arrive at your paddle's position on opposite ends of the field. You know, that whole luck-based element.If two balls arrive at the same time, that's not necessarily luck because you do have control of when they arrive because of your previous shot. I'm not saying you should be able to judge it that precisely, but sometimes it is preventable.

ozgeek
12-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Problem is the balls change directions in the middle of flight and comes back towards the paddle. I tried the objective even though I beat the story mode a long time ago. Could only achieve 8.4 million.

The background is very distracting and a headache causer. Exited the game after 10 minutes as I get drawn in with the background.

Weaver
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Really? I didn't find it that hard. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm good at breakout games or something. The circle stage is still bull♥♥♥♥, though.

I agree with the circle stage. I see the ball tends to get "stuck" just bouncing off the edges of the circle while I sit there for 20 seconds getting no points as it gains ridiculous speed.

millionmice
12-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Its not that hard...your just not worthy of getting this achievement. I'm so sorry! :(

Chavasko
12-12-2010, 10:55 PM
This game is ridiculous. Should be free.

snooze
12-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Horrible objective, totally spoilt the game.

dementedlullaby
12-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Force him to complete

Stopped reading there.

By the way, they don't care. They have your money.

natezomby
12-13-2010, 02:22 AM
By the way, they don't care. They have your money.

No one who comes to these forums will buy this piece of garbage for the achievement when they read these comments.

So they should certainly care as negative comments hurt sales. I will never suggest this to my friends, or my steam friends (a full friends list, and I moderate a community group with over 200 people). They better God damn well care that people find this objective ridiculous and the community on the boards hurtful and elitist rather than helpful and sympathetic.

Stormseye
12-13-2010, 03:32 AM
I feel your pain, man, though I'm not sure I completely agree. I bought this game a week or so ago, and was liking it, until this objective thing. To me, it's a fun game, but I agree that the treasure hunt objective makes me want to wash my hands of it. Silly, I'm sure, but being this ridiculously frustrated by the objective makes me not want to play the moderately entertaining parts anymore either.

Sage_Lukahn
12-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Guys, I was having a REALLY hard time with this as well. Balls moving through the paddles was driving me nuts. I was stuck at about 8.5 mil before I figured out to turn Vsync and Triple Buffering OFF and lower the resolution. Do this even if it seems to run fine like it is. I instantly got 10.2 on my first try doing this, and after maybe 5 tries I got 11.5 so try it.

Forsythia
12-13-2010, 03:50 AM
I will never suggest this to my friends, or my steam friends (a full friends list, and I moderate a community group with over 200 people). They better God damn well care that people find this objective ridiculous and the community on the boards hurtful and elitist rather than helpful and sympathetic.

To me, it's a fun game, but I agree that the treasure hunt objective makes me want to wash my hands of it. Silly, I'm sure, but being this ridiculously frustrated by the objective makes me not want to play the moderately entertaining parts anymore either.

This is exactly how I feel.

I put the game aside, probably not going to try again to get the objective. It's not worth the frustration, and I have 12 objectives already, so I'll get those 15 eventually.

Yeah, I had to play Droplitz and Chime a bit before I got the objectives. But at least in those games there's a reasonable learning curve. Shatter just goes insane after a few hits. I started playing the Bonus Mode thinking to myself, this isn't so hard. 2 seconds later I didn't think so anymore.

Oh well, off to play some games I do like. I'm just glad I didn't buy this game for the objective (had it already).

Sevla
12-13-2010, 04:02 AM
"So let's see what happen when we ask for a bunch of casual players to face a normal (not hard) objective"

lmao

Forsythia
12-13-2010, 04:10 AM
"So let's see what happen when we ask for a bunch of casual players to face a normal (not hard) objective"

lmao

:rolleyes: Oh right, you're the one with that terrible post on the second page. I think I'll quote natezomby again for this one:

...the community on the boards hurtful and elitist rather than helpful and sympathetic.

Stormseye
12-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Guys, I was having a REALLY hard time with this as well. Balls moving through the paddles was driving me nuts. I was stuck at about 8.5 mil before I figured out to turn Vsync and Triple Buffering OFF and lower the resolution. Do this even if it seems to run fine like it is. I instantly got 10.2 on my first try doing this, and after maybe 5 tries I got 11.5 so try it.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sage. Will give it a shot.

Stormseye
12-13-2010, 05:08 AM

Sage, man. You're a life saver. I did this, and my score seriously jumped. In two tries I more than had the achievement score. I don't know why, because my performance was just fine before. The bat does seem more solid and accurate now, though. You should post this on the main forum. I'd do it with credit, but they might not look for you to rep. Thanks much!

:rolleyes: Oh right, you're the one with that terrible post on the second page. I think I'll quote natezomby again for this one:

I know, right? I just wish Steam could make it so it hides the quoted material when you add someone to your ignore list.

KingOfTyops
12-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Problem is less the difficulty, and more the fact that "bonus mode" is just about the least amount of fun you can have with shatter.

Stormseye
12-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Problem is less the difficulty, and more the fact that "bonus mode" is just about the least amount of fun you can have with shatter.

That's a good point. If the challenge was working through the story mode, it would have been fun.

neuromancer
12-13-2010, 05:59 AM
I enjoyed the game during the time it took to unlock Bonus mode. After 30+ attempts and scoring between 10.3 and 11 million on several occasions I'm completely sick of this game. I'm going to be stubborn and keep at it until I get 11.2 then it will be uninstalled and never thought of again.

skiddlywibble
12-13-2010, 06:11 AM
If the only reason you're going to play the game is for the objective, then you really need to stop and think "what the hell am I doing!?".

Bonus mode is exactly what it says on the tin: a bonus. It's not glitchy, I did the objective, there's nothing wrong with it.

Sage_Lukahn
12-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Skiddly, yes it can be glitchy. I can't claim to know in which specific hardware sets, or circumstances this always occurs, but me and several others on this board were having serious problems until we disabled Vsync and Triple Buffering; upon which we then did it as easily as other say they did.

So I think there's just some vague technical problems hampering some users, combined with a legitimately challenging bonus mode, and that equals a lot of frustration. :P

DaveLessnau
12-13-2010, 07:25 AM
According to Steam, I've now played this game for over 6 hours. Probably more than 5 hours of that have been in the mindless Bonus Mode trying to get that achievement (unsuccessfully). Just to put this into perspective, I spent 14 hours playing all of Half-Life 2: Episode 1 TWICE and enjoying myself immensely. Not only has this achievement turned me off this game, it's taught me the lesson to never again buy a game (though interesting looking and very cheap) because it's pushed in this contest.

On my system, this is not a technical issue. I have no problems with balls passing through paddles and the like. I've tried it in windowed mode. I've tried it with different resolutions. I've tried it with Vsync and Triple Buffer off. I've tried it with anti-aliasing from 0 to 8. I've tried it with the music off. I've tried it while running Furmark. I do not like green eggs and ham and none of that has made any difference. Very simply, by the time each of the three screen scores are about 3 million, the ball(s) is(are) moving too fast for me. After that point, it's basically pure luck and muscle twitches that get to a high enough score to qualify.

This is not the way to push games in a contest. At a bare minimum, the qualifying feats should be FUN. The next criterion should be that they should show off some of the good aspects of the games. And, finally, they should be doable in a reasonable amount of time. The achievement for this game fails on all three counts.

PoisonedAl
12-13-2010, 08:44 AM
The story/endless modes are simple yet fun. So who in their right ♥♥♥♥ing mind decided to use the most boring, repetitive, frustrating, unfair, luck-based part of the game, and then slap a ridiculously high score to beat too. That person is ether a troll or an idiot.

TcoNL
12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I can't beat it either (yet) but nobody is forcing to you to beat the objective...

TomKQT
12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I finaly made it. And even in 13,900,000 points! :) So I also got the achievement for 12,500,000.
All my previous tries ended max. between 8 and 9 millions, few above 9 millions. And once I had 11,000,000 and once 10,900,000.

I still cannot belive I did it.
Just keep trying and you'll make it too. But I recommend to make breaks, don't play it for hours.

Now I can finaly enjoy the game the way it was supposed to be.

Uzumakikunai
12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I'd be fine with this objective if we could fix the stage itself from moving about, it puts me off greatly.

Village Idiot
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I finally beat it after 3 hours of trying.

The key in the 3rd stage is to focus on hitting the ball(s) dead center so the trajectory will be straight up north wall --> down, repeat. You want to avoid hitting the ball so it'll go to the left/right side of the wall as much as possible because the gravity causes the ball to bounce continuously against the left/right side until it suddenly decides to shoot straight down at an odd angle.

In fact, it might be worth it to sacrifice the two other balls after a few hits to ensure you can fully concentrate on hitting the remaining ball dead centre, as well as avoiding the other balls hitting one another.

vittau
12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
The key in the 3rd stage is to focus on hitting the ball(s) dead center so the trajectory will be straight up north wall --> down, repeat. You want to avoid hitting the ball so it'll go to the left/right side of the wall as much as possible because the gravity causes the ball to bounce continuously against the left/right side until it suddenly decides to shoot straight down at an odd angle.Not quite...

If the ball is coming from say, the left side, you should try hitting it with right side of the paddle, that will make it go north.
Only hit with the middle of the paddle if the balls is already coming from the middle.

skiddlywibble
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
According to Steam, I've now played this game for over 6 hours. Probably more than 5 hours of that have been in the mindless Bonus Mode trying to get that achievement (unsuccessfully).

You got it the wrong way round. 5 of those should have been spent on the actual game, and by the time you're done with that, you'll be good enough to beat bonus in less than an hour.

ozgeek
12-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I had the attiude of the OP yesterday but at around 4am, I sucessfully passed. I played a bit of shatter after playing L4D2.

All you need is practice and patience. I literially punched the monitor during one of my outrages at shatter but patience finally paid off and I achieved 11.6 million. Keep trying :)

Friendliest
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
ITT: the anti-"twitch" ppl I own in TF2. ...who will be that much easier to spot and slay when they have their new hats. :P

I can't believe all the "it's impossible!"s and general whines...
luck has nothing to do w/ it and if u can't do this challenge, face it: no offense but u are probably bad @ games.

this challenge was annoying (nowhere near as much so as undergarden) but the game is not broke. I blame ur PC ...... or U!

it took me longer to unlock the bonus mode -- then continue on the seemingly endless story mode just to set a good high score .... I really wanted it to end, by the time I was done -- than to get the bonus achievement, by far.

ppl who are talking "4 hrs" etc... come on! u need to turn up your mouse sensitivity or something!

trying to be helpful but to see all u baddies come out of the woodwork and know that this is who the TF2 team is catering to these days, well, it disgusts me in a way that even infinite presses of "voicemenu 2 3" cannot express.

"GOOD LUCK"

jdub
12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
ITT: the anti-"twitch" ppl I own in TF2. ...who will be that much easier to spot and slay when they have their new hats. :P

I can't believe all the "it's impossible!"s and general whines...
luck has nothing to do w/ it and if u can't do this challenge, face it: no offense but u are probably bad @ games.

this challenge was annoying (nowhere near as much so as undergarden) but the game is not broke. I blame ur PC ...... or U!

it took me longer to unlock the bonus mode -- then continue on the seemingly endless story mode just to set a good high score .... I really wanted it to end, by the time I was done -- than to get the bonus achievement, by far.
ppl who are talking "4 hrs" etc... come on! u need to turn up your mouse sensitivity or something!

trying to be helpful but to see all u baddies come out of the woodwork and know that this is who the TF2 team is catering to these days, well, it disgusts me in a way that even infinite presses of "voicemenu 2 3" cannot express.

"GOOD LUCK"

Sorry, just found that part funny. The rest is kind of amusing as well, but thats definitely the best part.