PDA

View Full Version : steam account credentials have expired

forceNet
12-18-2010, 09:01 AM
hello,

upon launching Steam today I got a log in window titled "Refresh login", saying my account credentials have expired
forum search reveals this is a common behavior following a downtime, however there was no Steam downtime taking place last night and nobody else seems to have this right now

after entering my password it works just fine

sure enough I haven't enclosed my account details with anyone and I'm fairly certain my system is clean, although you can never be sure

is there a reason to be concerned? could it e.g. mean that someone logged into my account while I was offline?

Zero86SK
12-18-2010, 09:13 AM
i would be worried, can happen, if you want to be sure, do an antivirus scan and maybe malwarebytes or adaware scan

Furious Dre
12-18-2010, 09:19 AM
It means your ability to log on OFFLINE has expired and you need to re-login ONLINE to renew it.

It happens every couple to months to help prevent account sharing. I've used Steam like 4-5 years and it's only happened once though xD

worse1
12-18-2010, 09:23 AM
is there a reason to be concerned?

Doubt it. But if you want some more peace of mind change your pw?

forceNet
12-18-2010, 09:23 AM
It means your ability to log on OFFLINE has expired and you need to re-login ONLINE to renew it.

It happens every couple to months to help prevent account sharing. I've used Steam like 4-5 years and it's only happened once though xD
I'm logged in online nearly every day, yesterday including

schnitzeljaeger
12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
... and change your password ;)

_Duality_
12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
hello,

upon launching Steam today I got a log in window titled "Refresh login", saying my account credentials have expired
forum search reveals this is a common behavior following a downtime, however there was no Steam downtime taking place last night and nobody else seems to have this right now

after entering my password it works just fine

sure enough I haven't enclosed my account details with anyone and I'm fairly certain my system is clean, although you can never be sure

is there a reason to be concerned? could it e.g. mean that someone logged into my account while I was offline?
That's normal but steam should warn you by sending you an email or something because getting that message is not cool (You enter in "paranoid mode" :eek:).

Anyways, If you want to prevent that then do a manual refresh every month or so. I did mine 2 or 3 days ago just to be sure I wont get that message during the holiday sale (I don't want to miss a good sale because I can't login due to the high pressure on the steam servers.)

forceNet
12-18-2010, 09:45 AM
That's normal but steam should warn you by sending you an email or something because getting that message is not cool (You enter in "paranoid mode" :eek:).
haha exactly