PDA

View Full Version : are the last 2 games similar?

stillwater78
12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I recently bought the latest game ("Forgotten Sands"), and I kind of hate it. The graphics are gorgeous, but I hate how the camera constantly takes control away from you and swings around to point you in the direction you need to be going next. I'm ususally fairly tolerant of camera issues, but in this game it all but ruins the game for me.

Instead of feeling like I can explore the levels and solve the puzzles myself, I feel like I'm being treated kind of like a toddler. Before I even have time to scope out the room and start thinking about where I need to go, the game is already telling me what to do. I also found the combat boring.

My question is: is the 2nd-last game ("Prince of Persia") similar? I normally love this genre (I loved the early Prince of Persia games and I love the recent Tomb Raiders), and I know that it got pretty good reviews. Now that it's on sale I'm interested to get it. But if the mechanics feel very similar, with the camera always forcing you to point in the direction you have to go, then I don't want it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

MkFilipe_Hs
12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
"Prince of Persia" is way better than "pop: forgotten sands". You will like it particularly if you like good stories and to get attached to good characters. (if you like Shadow of the Colossus or Ico you should grab PoP right now!)

The art design is innovative and impressive.

The only game flaws: it is too easy (many prince movements are automated) and combat is repetitive.

I would say: grab it; it's U$5 now it is really worth it and I think you will like the game.

ps: for me this is my 2nd favorite pop game

TheTingler
12-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Prince of Persia 2008 is a very divisive game. I personally love it the most, but the lack of a death mechanic can make people view it as 'easy'. This is completely not true, there's just no 'three fails and you have to go back to a checkpoint', you can do the puzzle/platforming/boss as many times as you like and you're not penalized for it.

I prefer it this way, it's much less aggravating and you can focus on playing the game. The levels are also far more open than the Sands of Time series, so I can't recall any moment when you're forced in a particular direction - there is a guide though that you can call BY CHOICE by pressing a button.

Also, you'll be pleased to hear that the combat has all but been eliminated. You often only take on one enemy occasionally, with boss fights being the main source of combat. This is another reason why I prefer it to the Sands series. If the next Tomb Raider does something similar I'll be very happy.

For this price, definitely give it a try.

stillwater78
12-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks TheTingler. The absence of a death mechanic doesn't worry me at all. It just sounds like a 'respawn at a checkpoint' system with lots of checkpoints. Whether we call it "dying and respawning" or just "being saved by an outstretched hand and retrying" seems neither here nor there to me.

I like the sound of the open levels and the limited combat - it sounds more like what I expected Forgotten Sands to be.