PDA

View Full Version : Yes, you want this game

GC13
12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Though I think everyone will enjoy this game I especially call out to fans of Killing Floor, as this game has several similarities with it (namely co-op on small servers against waves of AI-controlled enemies, along with a weapon store). It doesn't punish death anywhere near as harshly as Killing Floor though, and the buildings you put up give your group a safety net.

The game isn't super populated but you can always find a server. Normal is pretty darn easy, but Hard is good fun. Build, build, build and you'll be alright.

For $10? Nice buy. For $2.50? Easily a fantastic purchase.

weez2mo
12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
For $10? Nice buy. For $2? Easily a fantastic purchase.

+1 Quoted for Truth.

w00ties
12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I think I'm going to get this game, but I'm still on the fence (considering the fact it's $2.50 I don't know why though). I'm currently downloading the demo.

This thread helps though :)

Trialsking
12-21-2010, 11:58 AM
It better be good. I just bought the 4 pack for myself and 3 brothers. We love coop action. Its a cheap Xmas gift for them.

freibooter
12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I think this thread might need a qualifier:

Yes, it's a surprisingly fun game at a great price. Game play almost certainly won't disappoint ...

But ... in its current state it's also buggy and annoying as well. There are at least two pretty big annoyances (and several smaller ones):
* no support for 16:9 screen resolutions (4:3 and 16:10 only) - no 1980x1020
* pretty serious mouse issues for a lot of people

A big patch is in the works and there have been several believable progress reports but nothing has seen the light of day yet.

So, yes, buy the game - if you think you can trust the developers to finally come through and publish a patch that fixes the biggest problems. You may want to hold of playing the game until its fixed if you are easily frustrated, though.

GC13
12-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I haven't encountered these problems, but the 16:9 is a nonstarter because I still have my old-school CRT. :)

As for what I really want fixed about the game, I'd like to see the musket become a useful weapon. It has good power, but its rate of fire is so bad it's foolish to use it (especially when the LMG is so darn cheap). Maybe it could be replaced with a bolt-action rifle for the player characters?

thaoval
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
I think this thread might need a qualifier:

Yes, it's a surprisingly fun game at a great price. Game play almost certainly won't disappoint ...

But ... in its current state it's also buggy and annoying as well. There are at least two pretty big annoyances (and several smaller ones):
* no support for 16:9 screen resolutions (4:3 and 16:10 only) - no 1980x1020
* pretty serious mouse issues for a lot of people

A big patch is in the works and there have been several believable progress reports but nothing has seen the light of day yet.

So, yes, buy the game - if you think you can trust the developers to finally come through and publish a patch that fixes the biggest problems. You may want to hold of playing the game until its fixed if you are easily frustrated, though.

agree its a great game, but also agree it needs to be much more polished

I reckon if they incorporated some steamworks functionality the game would be much more popular, like if my friend wants to join my server... I have to tell him the server name and he has to look for it (rather annoying)

or if the steam cloud remembered my name and settings it would be very helpful

freibooter
12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I believe Steamworks is the biggest chunk of "The Big Patch That Fixes Everything" that has been in the works seemingly forever now.

With just a bit more polish this could be an amazingly addictive and fun game.
I don't really understand why this game has flown under the radar for so long - it really has everything to make it an indie hit.

But I guess even word of mouth doesn't work that well if you have to start with "Iron Grip is a great game, but ..."

LethalNiMiTz
12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
I believe Steamworks is the biggest chunk of "The Big Patch That Fixes Everything" that has been in the works seemingly forever now.

With just a bit more polish this could be an amazingly addictive and fun game.
I don't really understand why this game has flown under the radar for so long - it really has everything to make it an indie hit.

But I guess even word of mouth doesn't work that well if you have to start with "Iron Grip is a great game, but ..."Because of its graphics mostly

people....well...mostly little kids will download a demo or buy it and go "OH HOLY CRAP IM PLAYING N64 THESE GRAPHICS SUCK" but people dont understand indie companys can't have the best top of the line graphics engine its just not possible they have to be discovered and make that money first.

I didn't even know about this game till I saw someone streaming it on justin tv then I tried it and held off buying it and saw it was super cheap and bought it

Flamepreacher
12-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Though I think everyone will enjoy this game I especially call out to fans of Killing Floor

Couldn't agree more, I've just bought copies of the game for all I play KF with

valleyrover
01-05-2011, 09:08 AM
I have to agree that this is one HELL of a game, with brilliant FPS elements but with twist of tower defence mixed in!

possible thing id like to see for it;

steam cloud access, mentioned before

more structured with more cooperation elements

Better talking/chat, this would improve co-op game-play massively IMO because ATM the message pops up for a few seconds then BANG gone, never to be seen again, and also disable the annoying scripted talking.

But ill admit I am a complete addict to this game! need more people!

schmidT
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
For me this game Worth more than $10..
The best game i've ever enjoyed so far in steam!! 4 thumbs up (extra with foot thumbs)!!

Serjongo
01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
There are plenty of reasons why you GOTTA have this game.

First, we had a group chat a couple of days ago with the developers (It`s me, Serj =D ), and it was amazing,they listen to their fans and do their best to improve the game according to the complaints\recommendations of the users. They are awesome and I <3 them all (Especially Jayme ^^ , I`m just sayin` :3 )

Second, The game is a unique mix of FPS and Tower Defense. Pleases both strategy and shooter fans. Unlike most tower defense games, this one aims for a wider audience and should be easy to pick up and play just for anyone. Whether it`s a casual gamer girl or a hardcore gamer.

And for the developers: you gotta make a "Play with the devs" event!

Double thumbs up for this one.

borderlines
01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Aw, Serj, you're so flattering.

<- Is Jayme.

That being said -- as someone else in this thread already stated, the patch that implements the Steamworks features should fix a LOT of these problems. And I promise, if I have to go hunt down and strap people to chairs, we will have a Warlord DevDay event.

DeadlyFred
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Actually, since this game is Q3-engine based, you can do a number of tweaks from the console, including setting the resolution to whatever you please. At the main menu, hit the ~ key to bring up the console and type the following:

r_mode -1 ( turns custom resolutions on)
r_customwidth ### (custom screen width)
r_customheight ### (custom screen height)

It will inform you that changes will be applied after restart when you enter each but enter all three before you restart the game. When you come back, your resolution will be changed.

Do this at your own risk as it seems to do some funny things with the menu layout but, otherwise, works just fine for me.

freibooter
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
That being said -- as someone else in this thread already stated, the patch that implements the Steamworks features should fix a LOT of these problems. And I promise, if I have to go hunt down and strap people to chairs, we will have a Warlord DevDay event.
Can you give us an ETA on that patch? I really like this game but I have been holding off playing it due to all the known problems ... I'm really hoping for a release in the near future.