PDA

View Full Version : You know, I like you, Oddworld Inhabitants.

LordKuruku
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I've played all four of these Oddworld games before. Hell, I already had the first two on Steam when I got this pack. I'm having a bit of trouble with it myself, but I have faith that you guys are going to get things working right.

I am patient, and can wait for these fixes. However, I do want a refund...

WHAT? No, no! Not for the OddBoxx! I'm incredibly happy with that. It's Oddworld Adventures I want a refund for. I got that as a birthday gift over a decade ago. They spent $20 on that after they couldn't find the PlayStation game anywhere. Now, I know you didn't publish or develop it, but it was garbage. Easy, 20 minute long garbage with no replay value. At least it played like Oddworld, but with no effort put into the design...

So, you know, if you gift me some $20 worth of stuff, then it'll all be water under the bridge and we'll finally, finally be even and be able to put this all behind us at last. ;)

Stewart Gilray
12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I believe Oddworld Adventure was the domain of THQ ;-)

koekhoofd
12-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Less kidding more working Stu, we need that fix!

LordKuruku
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Oh, thanks for the response! :D

THQ, huh? Not sure how well that's going to work! All I know is, Oddworld Adventures was laughably short. I know it was a GameBoy game, but still...

Oh, well. It's not like it was the only effortless handheld adaptation of a great game. For what it's worth, it was fun messing with the game with the Gameshark Pro. One of the codes I came up with let Abe carry his head in his arms!

Well, that's all I have to say. Thanks for putting this pack on Steam. It's been a while since we've seen an Oddworld Inhabitants game on PC (that whole "Xbox Exclusive" thing kept me waiting half a decade to play Munch's Oddysee!), so I'm sure I can wait a little longer for the kinks to be worked out. Just don't make it another decade! ;)

bagnol
12-21-2010, 04:00 PM

So people are asking for refunds on the OddBoxx left and right, people not even able to play the games, and the only reply from Oddworld is in an irrelevant joke thread? I was really looking forward to this pack. Was.

Guilmette
12-21-2010, 04:02 PM
So people are asking for refunds on the OddBoxx left and right, people not even able to play the games, and the only reply from Oddworld is in an irrelevant joke thread? I was really looking forward to this pack. Was.

You're holding the wrong people for hostage. Oddworld was merely working with the people from JAW. JAW did the Stranger's Wrath port. Shoot the wrong people, will you? :V

bagnol
12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
You're holding the wrong people for hostage. Oddworld was merely working with the people from JAW. JAW did the Stranger's Wrath port. Shoot the wrong people, will you? :V

My mistake then. I apologize. Still kinda ticked off at the quality of this pack though...

Guilmette
12-21-2010, 04:06 PM
My mistake then. I apologize. Still kinda ticked off at the quality of this pack though...

It's no worry. JAW's CEO left NEOGAF when people showed the same angst, anger and irritation toward him.
I payed for Stranger's Wrath, 7.50 on sale, while the ODDBOX was 12.50. I'm not angry with them, though being patient is all we can be as of now. Leave it to a console developer working with a PC port, Problems are going to show up. :U

Stewart Gilray
12-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Actually I've made lots of posts on here, with regard to fixing stuff we ARE working on it now.

Guilmette
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Actually I've made lots of posts on here, with regard to fixing stuff we ARE working on it now.

This is true. Keep up the work. You're going so far out of your way, buying new high end video cards/etc, to test out bugs. Hope to see a patch soon.

bagnol
12-21-2010, 04:15 PM

I see you've got several posts here, I tried to look for them through your profile but the forum won't let me search and I couldn't find any by manually looking through threads. Again I apologize but I'm still pretty disappointed.

Stewart Gilray
12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm still pretty disappointed.

How do you think I feel? You think you do good work on a project, you have issues, you fix them, you release then the universe rips you a new one.

It can be VERY demoralizing and soul destroying :(

As I've said else where, we will fix as much as we can as quickly as we can, and we will also do some changes that have been requested.

Nerv322
12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I think alot of peoples behavior on these forums is appalling. We are all disapointed with the release thus far, there really isn't anything more to add. All we can do is wait for the fixes and help in any way we can to speed that process up. Instead its disgusting hate filled venom spewing at the devs who quite honestly sound like the're trying to resolve the issues. Or is it all just an elaborate hoax to make us think the're woking on it when really the're laughing and mocking us. The way things are people aren't offering much in the way of encouragement, should you? Thats really depends on what kind of a person you are. You don't need to but sending hate is only gonna encourage them to say "screw it" and everybody loses. People on these forums remind me alot of that one guy in zombie movies who ♥♥♥♥s everything up for the rest of the group becuase the're total ♥♥♥♥. Sure you have a right to be angry but enough anger has been displayed there is no point, its just counter productive.

Hey Stewart not everyone here wants to burn you at the stake... we want the patch then we'll burn you at the stake, just joking. Best of luck with the fixes and thank you for taking the time to post on these forums to let us know whats going on. Something that devs rarely do these days.

Peace.

bagnol
12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
How do you think I feel? You think you do good work on a project, you have issues, you fix them, you release then the universe rips you a new one.

It can be VERY demoralizing and soul destroying :(

As I've said else where, we will fix as much as we can as quickly as we can, and we will also do some changes that have been requested.

The game itself I'm sure is/was very well made which is why we all bought this pack on faith. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the critical response but we're all angry at the poor porting job, not the game itself which we're all dying to play. If you really, honestly thought a competent job was done with the porting process then I really don't know what to say.

I think alot of peoples behavior on these forums is appalling....
Peace.

It's all well and good to say "Don't hurt their feelings or they won't bother fixing the game." but they should know exactly how we feel about the quality of the product we just purchased from them. It does nobody any favors telling the devs they did great work when they didn't*.

*Again, in regards to the porting job, not the game itself.

dsbig123
12-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I just wanted to say I worked out problems with munch. I played for 1 hour and no crash and Wrath plays ok expect I get 10fps at 1920x1080 res

I respect you guys for a long time, I remember playing the first odd game in 2000 on a 12 CRT monitor.... ah good times :)

my specs

amd 1090t clocked at 4ghz

memory 6gb at 1066ghz

ATI 5870 1gb

windows 7 64but ultimate.

Nerv322
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
The game itself I'm sure is/was very well made which is why we all bought this pack on faith. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the critical response but we're all angry at the poor porting job, not the game itself which we're all dying to play. If you really, honestly thought a competent job was done with the porting process then I really don't know what to say.

It's all well and good to say "Don't hurt their feelings or they won't bother fixing the game." but they should know exactly how we feel about the quality of the product we just purchased from them. It does nobody any favors telling the devs they did great work when they didn't*.

But there is no point going on and on about it at this point. They know we are angry and annoyed. That's the point I was trying to make. Yet people will keep posting their hate and criticisms even though a hundred other people have posted exactly the same in other threads. It's like people are cueing up to take shots at the devs rather than moving on to the important issues, Like waiting for an update or reporting any potential fixes etc.

bagnol
12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
But there is no point going on and on about it at this point. They know we are angry and annoyed. That's the point I was trying to make. Yet people will keep posting their hate and criticisms even though a hundred other people have posted exactly the same in other threads. It's like people are cueing up to take shots at the devs rather than moving on to the important issues, Like waiting for an update or reporting any potential fixes etc.

*Edit, re-read the post.

I honestly don't know why you're coming to a forum telling people NOT to voice their opinion on something, especially considering it's in regards to a product we all paid for. Seriously, these people know they did a ♥♥♥♥ty job on this, none of them seem to have any knowledge whatsoever on the PC platform. The MS paint control page, the menu item that leads to the Xbox Dashboard (http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=415067&page=9), ♥♥♥♥ like that shouldn't happen.

Nerv322
12-22-2010, 05:14 AM
*Edit, re-read the post.

I honestly don't know why you're coming to a forum telling people NOT to voice their opinion on something, especially considering it's in regards to a product we all paid for. Seriously, these people know they did a ♥♥♥♥ty job on this, none of them seem to have any knowledge whatsoever on the PC platform. The MS paint control page, the menu item that leads to the Xbox Dashboard (http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=415067&page=9), ♥♥♥♥ like that shouldn't happen.

Where did I say they did a great port job? Where did I say people shouldn't voice their opinion? There is a diffrence with saying how bad the port is and problems that need fixing than just posting hate filled comments towards JAW. Sure some nasty comments are inevitable but when is enough, enough? Continued insults helps no one in the long run, thats all I'm saying. Maybe people just need to tone it down at this point.

bagnol
12-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Where did I say they did a great port job? Where did I say people shouldn't voice their opinion? There is a diffrence with saying how bad the port is and problems that need fixing than just posting hate filled comments towards JAW. Sure some nasty comments are inevitable but when is enough, enough? Continued insults helps no one in the long run, thats all I'm saying. Maybe people just need to tone it down at this point.

Alright fine whatever, keep telling people to settle down on a forum without giving a reason apart from "Posting hate comments doesn't help anyone". Welcome to the internet. JAW did a poor job and frankly you should be happy with the number of hate comments as a consumer, it helps prevent incompetent developers from getting away with ♥♥♥♥ like this by turning other potential buyers away. Either way I give up, keep telling people not to hurt the poor developers' feelings, see how far that gets you.

Nerv322
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Alright fine whatever, keep telling people to settle down on a forum without giving a reason apart from "Posting hate comments doesn't help anyone". Welcome to the internet. JAW did a poor job and frankly you should be happy with the number of hate comments as a consumer, it helps prevent incompetent developers from getting away with ♥♥♥♥ like this by turning other potential buyers away. Either way I give up, keep telling people not to hurt the poor developers' feelings, see how far that gets you.

OK becuase it will make your ♥♥♥♥♥ shrink??? Like what other reason can I give you? I think people can decide on their own without hateful comments just by looking at the problems people are having then making a decision based of that. I bought the OddBoxx after I read the problems that it had. It seemed like the devs really what to fix it so I took a leap of faith.

Besides if they don't deliver JAW's name will be draged through mud even more and i'll be more cautious in the future. At the end of the day I only spent 9.99 AO, AE and MO work and so does SW if I roll back my drivers. All the games are playable but they could just do with a few extra fixes to make things much better.

SpAM_CAN
12-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Oddworld Adventures 2 was pretty good. It even had a whole lot of the same level design from Exoddous.

Freyar
12-23-2010, 04:34 AM
1) MO and SW weren't full priced $50 or $60 titles.

2) Mo and SW were based on VERY OLD (Legacy) systems.

3) Investments made to port these two games were probably not incredibly high to begin with (which isn't a problem really, considering the fanbase and how old they are.)

4) MO and SW use OpenGL which appearing to cause problems related to DLLs with modern drivers.

5) MO and SW could potentially have problems with multi-core CPUs since these games were certainly not out for the PC (or designed for the PC) when even Dual-Core CPUs were common.

Fact is, JAW's working on it. Give it a rest.

SpAM_CAN
12-23-2010, 05:00 AM
1) MO and SW weren't full priced $50 or $60 titles.

2) Mo and SW were based on VERY OLD (Legacy) systems.

3) Investments made to port these two games were probably not incredibly high to begin with (which isn't a problem really, considering the fanbase and how old they are.)

4) MO and SW use OpenGL which appearing to cause problems related to DLLs with modern drivers.

5) MO and SW could potentially have problems with multi-core CPUs since these games were certainly not out for the PC (or designed for the PC) when even Dual-Core CPUs were common.

Fact is, JAW's working on it. Give it a rest.

Munch uses DirectX.

Freyar
12-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Munch uses DirectX.

I stand corrected.

Pansa
12-23-2010, 07:15 AM

Still, the problem is the way the communication is going. Frustration is well and right, but the problem is unfiltered "angry noise" in the eye of a convoluted situation.

On the customer side there is buying 2 products that don't work.
On the dev side there is one "inherited release ready 3rd party product" (munch), on the other the Jaw port of stranger.

What happend to Munch we probably will never know, and i congratulate the speedyness with which i think jaw is trying to handle a product they haven't really touched on the basis of faith in the finished product of someone else; even though i think the achievment communitystats speak for themselve.

On the Wrath side we see what happens if standarts aren't kept, and what mayhem actually ensues with shoddy implementation of open GL standarts. And why? because customers are overwhelmed, and excluded from any meaningfull debate, with testers foccusing either on raw stats, or sprouting unfiltered and unedited hardware facts.

So re: debate about "forums etiquete" :
How about both sides appreciating that any communication is hindered by the "black box of diverging information", and that things fail for all different reasons.

I personly just wonder why especially the IP I care most about has to have such devestating problems again and again. Including the x-box only deal, the problems with EA, and reading between the lines again with the oddbox (switching up teams aso).

And that includes the idea to put a developer on a port that (although very open to communication and understanding) basicly needs some bunch of steamforum users to explain to him what pc gamers care about. (This is by no means a personal critique, and I rather have someone open, than someone who thinks he knows better, but from a "when we decided to go for it" point of view it seems impractible.) [ I am refering to the "what do pc gamers expect in framerates" posts, and the age old debate about the difference of crt's , tft's, plasmas , the influence of viewing distance and the implication on framerates both of the consistant and intermittend type.]

So dear stewart :
Thanks for trying hard in a convoluted situation, take half of the agression as "targeted for someone else" , some as "well, had I known".

LordKuruku
12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
My, my. This turned into something... well... interesting, anyway.