PDA

View Full Version : Why is Steam asking for Billing address, etc?

L3Db
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Tried to buy Orange Box and pay it with Visa

...and Steam is asking all these unneeded questions:

Billing address
City
State or Province
Zip or Postal code
Phone number

Rest of the questions are fine and relevant, but unless you are shipping me something, those questions above are none of your business.

Steam would send ones and zeros to my hard drive and my bank would send some virtual cash for Steam. Nowhere during that transaction would Steam need any of that info about me, so why are you asking them?

Since giving fake info is out of the question and I don't want to give the real info, is buying the game from a real proper shop the only option?

Belkster
12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Some credit card companies require a billing address as proper authentication to process credit card transactions. Similar to when you have to enter your zip code when buying gas with credit.

Frigid
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
To make sure you are the owner of the cc?

subbotniy
12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
When they verify the transaction with your credit issuer, the billing address and phone number are sent to protect you and Steam from fraud. If the info doesn't match, no sale.

If you have a problem with steam knowing this information, use paypal.

Pumpkin_Masher
12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
It's a common card verification that most online retailers use to verify the legitimacy of the card.

MADDOGGE
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Guess you are ♥♥♥♥ out of luck buddy. The info is not unreasonable to a legal user. Maybe that CC you be wanting to use ain't yours.

bipolar1
12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah this sounds like a stolen credit card.

T@F
12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
To check the info with the cc info don't match flagged for fraud.

[edit]oh yeah valve don't give a monkeys about your address tbh,they only want to know if the card matches with the address.
also at the very bottom of the info page you can untick save info then you can rest in peace known the info is not saved no more once game is bought.

786Warrior
12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Its a requirement by the credit card company itself. They require it as proper authentication.

Gone'Postal
12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Steam will check to make sure the data you enter, matches what the bank has on record and allow the transaction, it's a way to stop people using stolen credit cards.

If you don't want to give out that information and still use the card online, you might as well close the card, if it's yours.

& most of the time, the billing address is the shipping address, unless it's a company card or you have moved and not updated the bank.

B33 ENN
12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
...and Steam is asking all these unneeded questions:

Billing address
City
State or Province
Zip or Postal code
Phone number

All those questions are normal and standard for remote CC transactions, is this the first time you have used a credit/debit card? :confused:

MADDOGGE
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
All those questions are normal and standard for remote CC transactions, is this the first time you have used a credit/debit card? :confused:Maybe I was harsh and you're right it was his first time using one online and he just trying to be safe. Better safe than sorry.

L3Db
12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Gee, thanks MADDOGGE and everyone else thinking that I'm trying to use stolen card.

All that info is pretty trivial to acquire if someone finds someone's card. If you have public phone number, use Facebook or babble your info or about your life elsewhere in the net. I have avoided all those, but even then I don't see any security benefits for asking those questions.

And genuine thank you to subbotniy for making me laugh, PayPal is the last place I would trust with money :D

Been buying things with card for ages, but this is actually only 2nd time I am buying only ones and zeros (i.e. not physical goods that would need to be shipped to me). Bought Minecraft sometime ago and I didn't need to give my address and etc. to Notch to get it. When a singe man does things better than multi million dollar serious business inc. that is something that should make you think.

Only reason I see for asking those questions (apart from the dubious "security" reasons) are some sort of RealID nonsense.

DoubleD
12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Some credit card companies require a billing address as proper authentication to process credit card transactions. Similar to when you have to enter your zip code when buying gas with credit.

All of them should ask for it. End of story.

jeffreydean1
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Op hasn't been on the Internet for very long, has he?

I have NEVER bought ANYTHING on the internet, in over 10 years and hundreds of transactions, that didnt require this standard information.

T@F
12-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Also op i did say in my edit that you can del the info by ticking the del info box at the bottom before you buy the game.

Once the game is bought info gone.:D

GirlPower23
12-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Bought Minecraft sometime ago and I didn't need to give my address and etc. to Notch to get it. When a singe man does things better than multi million dollar serious business inc. that is something that should make you think.

It makes me think your an over paranoid buyer. Valve coming to steal your goodz.. better be over cautious and not give them your address.

DoubleD
12-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I believe the question was answered. This is the policy for most credit card transactions. If you need further assistance feel free to contact Valve support on this topic.

Thanks