PDA

View Full Version : Downloading games while playing games.

Uh yup
12-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Yeah, so I was playing amnesia dark descent (which is a single player offline game) while downloading Resident Evil 5 to kill time.

After playing for a good 2 hours, I get off the game to see my download for re5 has been paused for some reason. So I run amnesia again, minimize it and look at my downloads. Seems that steam auto-pauses your downloads while in game.

What the hells the point of this? I mean, sure on online games we might get some lag issues, but not every game is multiplayer and some people are lucky enough to have enough bandwidth to spare for both downloads and multiplayer, so what gives?

WardDragon
12-22-2010, 02:42 AM
I don't know the reason for it, but if you alt+tab out of the game and resume the download it should keep going even when you maximize the game and go back to playing :)

int_civ
12-22-2010, 03:07 AM
The reason is for network games. Having a download running while playing something online would probably cause a lot of lag. It's annoying for us mostly solo players, especially when you don't realize it's happening, but it seems the better default behavior since most gamers play multi-player.

Still, it would be nice have something like a dialog pop up asking if you would like to pause your downloads while playing, perhaps with a "remember this setting for this game" option.

tiita
12-22-2010, 04:03 AM
The reason is for network games. Having a download running while playing something online would probably cause a lot of lag. It's annoying for us mostly solo players, especially when you don't realize it's happening, but it seems the better default behavior since most gamers play multi-player.

Still, it would be nice have something like a dialog pop up asking if you would like to pause your downloads while playing, perhaps with a "remember this setting for this game" option.

/signed

klumy
12-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Yeah, so I was playing amnesia dark descent (which is a single player offline game) while downloading Resident Evil 5 to kill time.

After playing for a good 2 hours, I get off the game to see my download for re5 has been paused for some reason. So I run amnesia again, minimize it and look at my downloads. Seems that steam auto-pauses your downloads while in game.

What the hells the point of this? I mean, sure on online games we might get some lag issues, but not every game is multiplayer and some people are lucky enough to have enough bandwidth to spare for both downloads and multiplayer, so what gives?

I like this suggestion!

bledd
12-22-2010, 04:31 AM
I've suggested this countless times, as well as a download allocator, ie you set x kb for each game. Many people can download at say 200kb/s and not have their pings affected at all

And games like Plants vs Zombies etc, don't need any bandwidth

DarkLite123
12-22-2010, 04:45 AM
Downloading games while playing is horrible in some games. The only time I ever got picked as host in MW2 was while I was downloading Mass Effect :rolleyes:

maxolahird
12-22-2010, 06:06 AM
I think Steam should have a option to enable/disable this feature.

Blockout
12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
I've suggested this countless times, as well as a download allocator, ie you set x kb for each game. Many people can download at say 200kb/s and not have their pings affected at all

And games like Plants vs Zombies etc, don't need any bandwidth

I agree!

Lord iCeDrAgOn
12-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I think that they could take all of these suggestions and then wrap it all up in a tab within the steam community. don't have to add game pictures or the fancy download monitor. but just a tab with a list of games that are downloading and or paused. then you can just resume from while still inside the game and not have to alt-tab at all