PDA

View Full Version : "Unable to save game" in SW

Reverendum
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
That's what i get every time the game autosaves, or i try to save the game. Just a big orange(ish) box in the screen saying that.

running win7 64 bit
Nvidia and what not. More than enough to run the game. I just can't seem to save.

LiqMat
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Do you have other Steam games that can save? Asking to determine if it could be a rights issue. Do you have admin rights on your system?

Reverendum
12-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Do you have other Steam games that can save? Asking to determine if it could be a rights issue. Do you have admin rights on your system?

Yes, and yes.
Re-installed it twice, and still the same. Game runs smoothly. Only that annoying save thingy...

Nipedley
12-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I was going to mention this as well.

Screenshot (http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5697/oddworldissue.png)

Running Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Mobility 5770 and Intel Core i7 1.6GHz.

I get decentish performance on the "Medium" setting. Also just to note that while it does this at every 'autosave' checkpoint, regular saving + quicksaving works no problem for me.

I'd like to thank JAW for their work on these games, Oddworld was always a favourite franchise of mine and I'm glad to see it coming back even if it is a little buggy to start with :)

Stewart Gilray
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok can you make sure there is a folder called "Save" in the same folder as the launcher.exe file.

If not, create it.

That folder is SUPPOSED to be created by the Steam installer :(

Nipedley
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Stewart, thanks for your response :)

I have the Save folder, attached is a screenshot of the root folder and contents of the Save folder if that is of any help to you.

Screenshot (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8303/oddworldsaveissue2.png)

I think it is great that you are personally responding to these threads, I know that some people are being pretty harsh and I hope that you know that a lot of other people really appreciate your work on the Oddworld series :)

EDIT: Just to add, I know the OP has the same error message as me and that he apparently can't save at all - I have the message however I can save normally, and also it might be of interest to know that this only shows up after about 20 minutes of normal play - then the autosave malfunctions as shown in the screenshots.

Stewart Gilray
12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Stewart, thanks for your response :)

I have the Save folder, attached is a screenshot of the root folder and contents of the Save folder if that is of any help to you.

Screenshot (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8303/oddworldsaveissue2.png)

I think it is great that you are personally responding to these threads, I know that some people are being pretty harsh and I hope that you know that a lot of other people really appreciate your work on the Oddworld series :)

EDIT: Just to add, I know the OP has the same error message as me and that he apparently can't save at all - I have the message however I can save normally, and also it might be of interest to know that this only shows up after about 20 minutes of normal play - then the autosave malfunctions as shown in the screenshots.

Thanks, we need as much info as possible, it all helps...

If you manage to see my Steam profile you'll see that I've played over 34hrs of Stranger since we implemented the Steam stuff, which was about 5-6 weeks ago, so I've played it a hell of a lot, and NEVER seen this.

So thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Reverendum
12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok can you make sure there is a folder called "Save" in the same folder as the launcher.exe file.

If not, create it.

That folder is SUPPOSED to be created by the Steam installer :(

Yup.
And the screenie that Nipedley posted is exactly the thing i was talking about. Except i can't save at all. Not manually, no quick saving nor auto save.

sygboss
12-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Quite easy to fix this one.

Either go to control panel and disable User Account Control, or install the game to a location where the UAC has no effect (like C:\Games\)

This happens because UAC won't allow the game to overwrite "system files" (ie. anything in Program Files in this case).

Reverendum
12-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Quite easy to fix this one.

Either go to control panel and disable User Account Control, or install the game to a location where the UAC has no effect (like C:\Games\)

This happens because UAC won't allow the game to overwrite "system files" (ie. anything in Program Files in this case).

Ok it worked....
BUT...

Now i get that annoying "Display Failed" errorthingy :D

ROTFL!!!!

Nipedley
12-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Glad that worked for your save problem, what's the display failed one? I haven't seen that one myself.

Just for the record I do have UAC disabled and get the message when autosave stops working after 20+ minutes of play (can still save normally)

Reverendum
12-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Glad that worked for your save problem, what's the display failed one? I haven't seen that one myself.

Just for the record I do have UAC disabled and get the message when autosave stops working after 20+ minutes of play (can still save normally)

When i start the game (No matter what settings[low, high or ultra]) I get this "Display failed" error. And the game starts in Windowed mode, where you can only see half of the screen.

Had that problem earlier yesterday, but i got it fixed by re-installing the game. Now, when i have the UAC turned off, it does it every time, and not even re-installing helped.

Oh well...
Would have loved to play SW again, after many years.

Maurog
12-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Actually, I seem to have the same thing too... it used to autosave just fine, but now every time it wants to autosave it pops up the menu as if I pressed escape, and says "unable to save" instead. Saving manually works.

Hmm, maybe if I find the autosave file and rename it or something...

Reverendum
12-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Actually, I seem to have the same thing too... it used to autosave just fine, but now every time it wants to autosave it pops up the menu as if I pressed escape, and says "unable to save" instead. Saving manually works.

Hmm, maybe if I find the autosave file and rename it or something...

Ahead of ya there mate. Didn't do jack. Or it didn't do jack with me.

RabidZombie
12-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah, with UAC enabled, I'm pretty sure the game needs administrative rights to edit anywhere under C:\Program Files\. (And can act all kinds of weird for different configurations of Windows)

Stewart, it'd be nice if the game followed proper Windows etiquette and saved the game to somwhere like %appdata%\Munch\ or something. It would solve this problem, and allow different users to have their own saves. :)

Reverendum
12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Seems that i'm ♥♥♥♥ out of luck with this one.
Too bad.

Nipedley
12-24-2010, 06:30 AM
I've identified what causes this issue to happen, for me anyway. It is when I manually save my game in the first available slot, which is used by the autosave.

If I load up and play, autosave works fine, but once I've manually saved over the last autosave, that's when it brings up the message about being unable to autosave.

Must be some small permissions problem at work there?

Maurog
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Hmm, I dunno, I just moved the savegametemp.sav and C8DBCF3E.cin from the Save directory, and now it created new ones and autosave works like a charm again. My problem was only the autosave, not permission to create all saves.

Fyrisvellir
12-24-2010, 02:24 PM
This happened to me a few times, but only ever after I deleted existing autosaves. Then it would continue for the rest of the session.