PDA

View Full Version : DRM = More Lost Sales

Murdats
12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
So the game is on sale again, but the other thread is closed.

so here is another place not to discuss the DRM, but to demonstrate to the publishers how many sales they have lost because of the DRM.

Neon Kitten
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
One lost sale right here, for a start.

Steam is DRM enough, publishers. Limited-activation third-party rubbish only loses you sales.

Cyborgmatt
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Another lost sale right here.

Centy
12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I really fancied getting this as well till I read about the DRM it's just baffling in the Steam version of any game. So despite the great price I will be avoiding this one too so add me to the lost sales count.

fate42
12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Damn, had it in my cart with ME2 and decided to check here first. Good thing I did. Another lost sale.

JohnWB3
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
One more lost sale here.

bloodhound01
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
ya, ♥♥♥♥ that. Not buying it. I want to OWN my games

FooAtari
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Another lost sale. Was going to buy this until I read about the DRM in a review.

ricmadeira
12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I've been on the fence about this one many, many times, but the 3 activations always get me. I wouldn't even mind the yuplay client, can't be much worse than having to log on to Games For Windows Live, and Rockstar Club, and Ubiplay, and EA accounts, and Bioware accounts, meh.

I check the forums regularly to see if there might be good news on this front, but nothing. Sorry, Gaijin, but one of the main reasons I use Steam is because it allows me to install and uninstall my game collection whenever and wherever I please without extra hassle. Don't really want to have to check which of my 300 steam games require deactivation before I uninstall, and having a hard drive blow up on me is punishment enough without having to lose my game forever or having to write to whoever hoping to get an activation back.

So thanks, but no thanks. I really wanted to buy this, at full price even. :(

bpbill
12-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm not another lost sale, I'm the same lost sale they lost last time it was on sale.

D1C30N
12-23-2010, 11:48 AM
yup **** that!!
was in my basket, proceding to paypal but thought i'd check for drm on a whim. Steam often has a note on drm so i thought i was safe..... I don't know why but at this point i thought to read a few more reviews...
I think it is totaly unacceptable for steam to not only sell games with DRM but to not even mention it???!!!
Shame on u steam.

Snowbank
12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Was downloading the Demo. And i always check the forum to see if its worth it to buy.

Sufficed to say, i canceled the demo download.
Even if the demo hasn't got DRM. i wont play a game where the full version does. I hate Activation limits. I got screwed on that ones, when they didn't want to give me more activation limits and there was no way to deactivate.

But hey if they don't want my money, so be it.

StickyMicky200
12-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Same here, 14 left in my steam wallet and this would have rounded things off nicely.

Shame.

mrmotinjo
12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd rather not have to cope with renewing activations for a game over e-mail. If the developer feels he's gaining something using two DRM systems- starforce over Steam's own DRM, well, that's their opinion.

It would seem the users have a different opinion, though.

fearlessfrog
12-23-2010, 12:07 PM
There's a DRM sticky at the top of this forum - we've been asked to post to that to register distaste and avoid clogging up the forums.

Silyus
12-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Damn, glad to saw the forum before the last click.

another sale lost here..

forumhawk
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
It's in my cart now. Wait wait. The cart is empty. -1 sale.

wing40
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Lost sale here too.

LurkerLito
12-23-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL I almost bought it good thing I noticed the 3 activation limits warning. Funny after reading the sticky post, it says there is a 3 activation 9 deactivation limit. WTF? Well either way Starforce = no buy no matter the price just like Ubisoft DRM = no buy no matter the price.

ricmadeira
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
There's a DRM sticky at the top of this forum - we've been asked to post to that to register distaste and avoid clogging up the forums.

Really? Well, it would be nice to have everything in one huge very noticeable thread, there must be dozens of small threads about this already.

Unfortunately that sticky thread you mention is locked.

amcdermo
12-23-2010, 12:27 PM

I would but the official thread is a closed one.:rolleyes:

I was about to buy this but a limit on deactivations as well is silly. Most DRM give the ability to reinstall unlimited times if it's been uninstalled or deactivated.

I've checked their official forums and updates have led to activations being used so you could use up the activations without knowing it.

Darn, drm is annoying at the best of times but this must be second to Ubisoft as the worst implementation.

EtanSivad
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Another lost sale.
I tried the demo and really liked it. Would have bought it at full price on the spot, but the drm kept me away.

I figured it might be like Bioshock, that they'd take it away eventually.
Still they haven't. So this is the fourth time I've considered buying it, but will not because of the DRM BS.

Seriously, what is to be gained by an activation limit?

VampLena
12-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Count up another lost sale to this DRM. I hope they are happy to be loosing so many sales, but from what I hear, they claim to not care because they think their customers are criminals and the DRM is warranted.

amcdermo
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I only came to the forum to see if it had a specific plane in it. I'd gotten used to Steam not having additional DRM so it's thanks to this forum it was made clear.

If I look at the store page in more detail than I should have to, since I'm interested in the gameplay and assumed I was already using DRM, then I see a 3 machine limit but no limit on deactivations.

Are there any good alternatives?

Rick_7777
12-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Damnit, I just bought WOP and its add-on for the sale. You mean to tell me I can only install this 3 times + only NINE deactivations = 12 installs TOTAL ??? Is this true or am I reading this wrong.

Rakshasas
12-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I have been waiting for this game to go on sale for a long time now, didn't even think about activation limit DRM. I figured that failed experiment was pretty much over...

Glad I checked the forum before buying.

Another lost sale... and removing it from my wishlist. Oh well.

GrimCW
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
lol i almost spaced and forgot then i read here...
was tempted.. despite i own the 360 version..
other turnoff is (on the 360 one anyways) you have to complete the game on arcade to get realistic mode?!
wtf!
someone please tell me this isn't true on the PC one and i MAY still give them a sale.

Anvilfolk
12-23-2010, 12:53 PM
And another lost sale.

I've been playing IL2 for about 5 years now, and was looking forward to trying this until Storm of War comes out. Not anymore...

Roph
12-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Another lost sale from me. Shame.

theyarecoming4u
12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I would have bought this game in a flash without the DRM. But even with the huge discount I'm going to have to pass, as I won't accept such ridiculous restrictions on a game that isn't even a triple-A title. DRM does nothing to protect against piracy and does everything to inconvenience users.

Osho
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM

That must be an outdated request, cause the stickied thread is closed.

Anyways... I'm one more that would have bought if not for the DRM.

AwayToHit
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
not gonna buy it because of this stupid DRM..remove it for the steam version of the game PLZ

silmarilwest
12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Shoot, I was set to buy until I saw the install limit. Looked like it could be a neat game, but I won't buy for any price with drm like this.

nucoben
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
What the hell, I just bought this game and gifted a copy to my brother and have just come here to read this >.<

We buy games likes this, install over the summer/christmas holidays then delete and reinstall next summer etc as we are using SSD's and dont have space for lots of games. Not to mention format reinstalling. That 10 activiation limit is going to get hit in no time!?!? Is this a joke?!

Surely even if you hit this 10 activitation limit they can grant more? Am I seriously just renting/trialling this game? I have never purchased software before that has done this to me, I have only seen trials/demo's do it!?

Not to mention this seeding thing I am reading about, I have a monthly upload/download limit, this program had better not be eating into that... what is this?!!??!!?!?!

vittau
12-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Question: Does this DRM install crap in the computer like StarForce, or there's just the activation limit?

Rick_7777
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
What the hell, I just bought this game and gifted a copy to my brother and have just come here to read this >.<

We buy games likes this, install over the summer/christmas holidays then delete and reinstall next summer etc as we are using SSD's and dont have space for lots of games. Not to mention format reinstalling. That 10 activiation limit is going to get hit in no time!?!? Is this a joke?!

Surely even if you hit this 10 activitation limit they can grant more? Am I seriously just renting/trialling this game? I have never purchased software before that has done this to me, I have only seen trials/demo's do it!?

Not to mention this seeding thing I am reading about, I have a monthly upload/download limit, this program had better not be eating into that... what is this?!!??!!?!?!

I would like confirmation on this as well. Formats due to malware or (AVG updates that cripple PC's), hard drive failures plus any number of legitimate reasons we may need to reinstall are so common. Which makes a finite activation on a purchased full version software product INSANE. If its true, we just threw our money away.

meuhey
12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
lost sale here too

prozac26
12-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I wanted to buy this.

DRM = I don't buy it.

Sorry, you lost a sale.

cody48
12-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Well, you can add my name to the list of people completely turned off from buying this game because of the DRM.

I was up-and-ready to buy it for $15 if it didn't make it to a daily deal during this sale, but then I started reading up on the kind of DRM it uses and have pulled a complete 180. Even at $6, I won't be buying it as long as it has the DRM it currently has. Steam is more than enough DRM for legitimate buyers, I don't want to have to mess with this extra form of DRM just to play it.

It's a shame too. I played the demo and absolutely loved it, I immediately added the game to my wishlist after playing. But this just isn't worth going through to me.

Rick_7777
12-23-2010, 01:56 PM
ok i went to the link http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=604 and the Yuplay forum FAQ indicates:

Deactivate the game by running activate.exe in a game folder before any hardware changes or reinstalling Windows or the game. Then you'll save your activation.
In any case:
1) You have 3 activations and 10 deactivations by default
2) If you ran out of them - just write to support (they'll need your login email and a key) and they'll add more activations.
You did not buy the activations, but the game - so you'll have it.

kovyakov
12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
One more lost sale here. [2]

ps. i registered myself here last month to post exactly the same thing. while this drm exists in steam, i'm not buying this game.

Tomji
12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for this, good thing I checked in real quick.
-1 sale.

michaelar
12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Aaaaaaand another lost sale here.

Publishers: Disabling DRM on Steam copies shouldn't be too difficult or risky.

Until then, we can wait for Storm of War (the upcoming IL-2 "sequel") rather than put up with this.

Unjell
12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Lost sale here. Even with the low price.

I'm not against copy protection. But I try to avoid games with DRM activation limits or the ones that makes you be permanently connected to interned like the ubisoft one.

nbonini
12-23-2010, 02:46 PM
You lost me again!!! I would gladly get this on sale, but the DRM doesn't fly!

nbonini

autobahn
12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Lost a sale here, too.

StrikerSmith
12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
It seemed like the perfect game to me, not too realistic not too arcade (I know you can change this in the options)

So, I went here to see opinions and then I saw many threads with DRM, activation etc in their headlines.

Won't buy this.

azsyndicate
12-23-2010, 03:20 PM
wow almost got this. lost sale due to DRm.

Questar
12-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Wow am I glad I checked the forum. DRM - no sale.

ESPECIALLY Starforce.

Glad I read this before I ran the demo too.

teroteki
12-23-2010, 03:27 PM
heh their forums are rammed with activation issues and complaints.
it's only 4 quid but i think i'll give this one a miss too :D

ZenToad
12-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Well another lost sale right here. Cant accept such harsh DRM solutions, particularly when its on Steam.... Oh well guess another company will want my money

Ender1183
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Bah! Was hoping they wised up by now but I guess not. Lost sale... again.

Scotty993
12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Deffo been put off the game stupid DRM.

nightside187
12-23-2010, 03:48 PM
The DRM for Wings of Prey has a 3 limit activation. However, if you hit your 3 limit activation you can contact Gaijin's support and receive up to 10 more activations.

Please do not contact Steam Support to receive these as they cannot assist with these requests.

why every 1 is crying ?

StrikerSmith
12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Because many people say they have a huge lack of support (Gaijin/Yuplay). Also why you wan't double DRM on your PC? Steam AND StarForce? The fuuuk?

Activation Limits just suck. Look at Spore, one of the most cracked games ever

Vikernes
12-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Was about to purchase this after trying the demo - like most of you I checked the forums and discovered this DRM nonsense. One less sale.

why every 1 is crying ?

Steam is a great anti-piracy tool as it is, there's absolutely no need to restrict the number of installs when the ownership of this game is related to your account.

I knew 4 was too good to be true!

Fozi
12-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Count me in. I was about to add it to the cart. Well, I'll enjoy Darksiders.

kallussed
12-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, removing from cart. If I forget to de-activate a few times I shouldn't have to email to get more activations on something I purchase. If a pirate doesn't have to email to get more activations why make a paying customer do so. DRM = No sale!

BababooeyHTJ
12-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Because many people say they have a huge lack of support (Gaijin/Yuplay). Also why you wan't double DRM on your PC? Steam AND StarForce? The fuuuk?

Activation Limits just suck. Look at Spore, one of the most cracked games ever

I use cracks on games that I own all of the time. Having to have a disk in the drive just sucks.

Yeah, I was about to buy this game up untill I saw this thread. It's too bad since it looks good too.

vittau
12-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Question: Does this DRM install crap in the computer like StarForce, or there's just the activation limit?

Someone answer me please...

fearlessfrog
12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Someone answer me please...

Frontline Proactive DRM is the renamed product based on Starforce apparently. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce

GrimCW
12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
It seemed like the perfect game to me, not too realistic not too arcade (I know you can change this in the options)

So, I went here to see opinions and then I saw many threads with DRM, activation etc in their headlines.

Won't buy this.

can you?
in the console version you must defeat the SP campagin on arcade before you can play realistic.
tbh its why i never finished it, whats the point of playing the game through on such a cheesy mode only to replay it the way i wanted?
does this one have the option to switch over?

Whisper
12-23-2010, 04:25 PM
I was about to buy the game, but when I read about the DRM, I did not.
Even with the low price offer on steam.

Centy
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm not one for challenging DRM either, hell I have a rather full STEAM account which proves that but DRM in addition to steam... no. It's a matter of principle now I will not pay to be treated like a criminal when if I went for the sea faring option I would be able to play without that hassle. Just another case of a developer/publisher ruining the paying customer experience for no reason.

This will have no impact on the pirates but will have an impact on the sales even at the price cut. I'm glad to see so many people here saying another lost sale, maybe some publishers will listen and phase out this stupid nonsense.

Also isn't Frontline Proactive (the name of the DRM) a brand of flea killer for Cats.

Stopping treating your customers like pirates is a good starting point for gaining more sales.

kokojie
12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Was going to buy, but decided to read forum first. Glad I did, another lost sale right here.

Mytharox
12-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I was thinking about buying the game. But wanted to know more about it before I got it so I visited the forum to learn what others thought about it. And then I learned about the restrictive DRM.

And I am one who likes to install/reinstall games at a whim. So a limited activation is really going to cause problems for me.

So you guessed it another sale for them lost. Steam is enough DRM for me and with steam you get a lot of other good stuff for it in return. So hopefully they'll remove the DRM in the future and gain a lot of potential customers.

ShaunJ1380
12-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Glad I checked the forums before I hit the purchase button. I will not knowingly support DRM. Lost sale. Fail.

Refrenz
12-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Machine activation limits = lost sale here.

joel2007
12-23-2010, 04:55 PM
No sale here either.

prepseb
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
lost sale here

tinomen
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I was going to purchase this as well. I am glad I checked the forum here.

PK119
12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Was going to buy, checked here, not buying now. Thats okay, I'll just buy it used on Xbox 360 anyways. Its almost as bad as pirating the game :)

Seriously, just take the DRM off the Steam version.

dweebothegeek
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
im out

Ruzgfpegk
12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Lost sale here as well.

stunahan
12-23-2010, 05:54 PM
had on wishlist for a while now...thankfully i came to the forum here before pulling the trigger. thanks guys you saved me from buying this! -1 sale here

randall.flagg
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Steam should put all those DRM protected games off into a new category (called NO BUY), so I could blacklist all of them at once :D and yep, another lost sale here.

Mr Waffle
12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Another lost sale. Game sounded fun but oh well. There's plenty of other, non-DRM games on sale to pick from...

TopShelfCookieJ
12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Yep, another one here. Dirt cheap for what looks like a fun game, and yet I still can't convince myself to buy it with limited activations...

Mr.Ceefus
12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm buying it. Great sale = sale > drm hoopla

Retroman
12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
funny... was thinking about buying this sim... and as soon as i heard about the extra DRM... deleted it from my wishlist ...

lol... when do they learn!? steam should be the only DRM we should put up with... more than that, and its just annoying for the honest buyer like myself.

Kurbster
12-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Frontline Proactive DRM is the renamed product based on Starforce apparently. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForcelol....why would anyone want to taint their product with someone who has terrible PR like Starforce?

lost_sale++

DaveNinety
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
While I usually avoid limited activation DRM, at this price it's pretty much rental priced so I'm still considering buying it.

buckbundy
12-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Was going to buy until I saw the drm. No thank you.

jimbofluffy
12-23-2010, 08:01 PM
While I usually avoid limited activation DRM, at this price it's pretty much rental priced so I'm still considering buying it.

I am thinking the same thing, but then again there is also ME2, Darksiders and Alpha Protocol for cheap.

Zrchrn
12-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I refuse to buy any game with an activation limit.
-1 sale

Mokkat
12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
goodbye Prey, hello spending my good money elsewhere

RqpeR
12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
With the beautiful Xmas sales going on I normally would get generous and distribute gift copies to my friends, including those not so much into flight sims.

Unfortunately I can't bring myself to force them through the registration procedures.

Even if "you don't inspect the tooth of a free horse".

May father is a Mig Alley veteran, that might appreciate a modern flight sim since his recent computer upgrade but I won't bother doing telephone helpdesk because of DRM. You know how older people are.. Sometimes they only understand the flight stick. :p

1 lost sales
2 lost sales
3 lost sales

bye bye, nice sales statistics.

SeiraBlack
12-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Had it in my cart as well and did the usual forum check.. going to delete it and find something else. Steam is all the DRM they need, and all I'm willing to support. The limited activation BS is too much and they need to learn to stop crippling our purchases.

DaveNinety
12-23-2010, 08:11 PM
I am thinking the same thing, but then again there is also ME2, Darksiders and Alpha Protocol for cheap.
True, I bought all of those games but there aren't many recent flight simulator/ arcade games and this happens to be the best looking one which is also what is leaning me towards buying it. I do understand why people don't want to buy because of the DRM out of principle but for me it's priced at a point where it's at least reasonable.

Zrchrn
12-23-2010, 08:14 PM
True, I bought all of those games but there aren't many recent flight simulator/ arcade games and this happens to be the best looking one which is also what is leaning me towards buying it. I do understand why people don't want to buy because of the DRM out of principle but for me it's priced at a point where it's at least reasonable.

$1-3 I would get it being "reasonable", $1/install. 6, is a bit much. Might as well get both humble bundles for $7.35.

driscoll42
12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I had this game in my cart and have been debating it all day. It's on my wishlist even. But I just know I'll hit the three activation limit. Going to have to turn this down. Also Silent Hunter 5 for that matter today. Lost a sale from me.

fearlessfrog
12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Steam should put all those DRM protected games off into a new category (called NO BUY), so I could blacklist all of them at once :D and yep, another lost sale here.

The thread on steam games with bad DRM are listed here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17035182#post17035182

Ronlaen
12-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Would love to check the game out but with DRM no sale.

Ardanza
12-23-2010, 08:33 PM
I just bought this game for me and one other. Now I'm a little bit angry that I didn't read up on this and see there is a POS DRM on it... Never knew Steam allowed DRM crap with games they sell, this sucks. Hope they somehow remove this DRM in the near future.

sfade
12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Had the game and DLC in my cart, but as always I check to see what sort of DRM might come along with the package. Install limits is a deal breaker for me, I don't care if you can get them back by having to make a bunch of calls or emails - that kind of hassle I don't need.

Shame, would have liked to buy this one. Terrible 3rd party activation limit DRM = NO SALE.

jsemler
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Lost another one here. I also almost bought it but decided to check here first to make sure there's no stupid activation limit.

daicon
12-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Confirming that I had this title in my cart ready to buy on the spot. Decided to take one look at the store page just incase and saw the DRM. Removed from my cart.

netguy45
12-23-2010, 10:46 PM
DRM hassle not worth it even at $6. Sorry you lost my sale again. Remove the DRM and I would even consider paying regular price. Game looks fun but poorly implemented DRM kills it.

Mr Waffle
12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
$1-3 I would get it being "reasonable", $1/install. 6, is a bit much. Might as well get both humble bundles for $7.35.

Honestly, I wouldn't install it even if it was free. I refuse to support games with DRM because it's just another example of one of my core values, "innocent until proven guilty", being trampled on by today's society, which is so afraid of the boogeyman (in this case, pirates) that regular paying customers get treated like criminals. It isn't much by itself but it's a small symptom of a much larger problem.

I know that doesn't mean much to most people, but I hold myself accountable to abiding by my values.

The thread on steam games with bad DRM are listed here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17035182#post17035182

Cheers for that!

nabokovfan87
12-23-2010, 11:01 PM
STEAM IS A FORM OF DRM!

Just because you misinterpret number of keys and locked down or acceptable Digital Rights Management, there is no place for anyone to complain on steam forums about crazy DRM when clearly steam is a form of DRM.

Granted there are better and worse versions out there, but 99.9% of these threads/posts take the attitude of anything with DRM is bad, when clearly is a misinterpretation and way of looking at things that skews opinions.

toejam
12-23-2010, 11:12 PM
STEAM IS A FORM OF DRM!

Just because you misinterpret number of keys and locked down or acceptable Digital Rights Management, there is no place for anyone to complain on steam forums about crazy DRM when clearly steam is a form of DRM.

Granted there are better and worse versions out there, but 99.9% of these threads/posts take the attitude of anything with DRM is bad, when clearly is a misinterpretation and way of looking at things that skews opinions.

You're joking right?
No place to complain about crazy DRM?
Steam is the most reasonable DRM outside of CD Key checks and Disc Checks I can think of - all the other things install nasty applications to your computer, or even drivers.
All Steam does is makes you spend all your hard earned money.

Totalitator
12-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I was just about to buy it but I read this forum and found out about the activation issue and have decided against it. I've been using computers long enough to know that having to re-install everything is going to happen to me frequently and the idea that my software license will quit working just because of an arbitrary number of installs is ridiculous and borderline fraudulent. If I buy software I should be able to keep it and use it for all time.

musterfox
12-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Almost bought it but decided to check about DRM issues first.

Another lost sale - not that the original publisher gives a damn. If they did, they would stop implementing idiotic DRM restrictions when Steams DRM is already in place.

EA removed Securom from BF-BC2 within months of release. What makes this game so special that it still has idiotic install/deactivate DRM's restrictions even 1 YEAR after initial release?

Steam's DRM should be good enough....

chrisdglong
12-24-2010, 01:00 AM
7 pages of lost sales? You would think these guys would learn! COUNT ME IN! LOST SALE!

nick2730
12-24-2010, 01:03 AM
buddy gifted me game is fun, i will never understand what companies hope to gain by DRM.

Ggd07_
12-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Another lost sale here

I am going to go check out some torrents then..

They restrict my own games, they loose a sale, and they have a pirate on their hands.

I don't care what you think.

This thread should be shown to the lazy developers

chrisdglong
12-24-2010, 01:37 AM
I would delete your references to pirating. They will immediately band you.

Marku
12-24-2010, 01:39 AM
good thing i saw this thread, had the game in my basket.

another lost sale here

MyWiiWii
12-24-2010, 01:48 AM
One more lost sale. I played the demo, had the game in my cart and was about to buy it, but I'll pass.

Zrchrn
12-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Someone should send this thread to the devs so they know. I'm not sure they monitor steam forums.

pyth
12-24-2010, 04:05 AM
I really liked the demo and had this game on my wishlist for a long time. Now that I read about the DRM I don't want it anymore. All Steam games should be (third-party-)DRM free.

Garandx
12-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Ditto on the NO sale. I refuse to put starforce or any version of it on my pc. Glad I saw this thread, was about to buy it.

Gareth321
12-24-2010, 04:16 AM
After deciding that the game had reasonable reviews, and visiting the Steam store page to purchase, I noticed the activation limits. I have decided not to purchase this title, as I have strong reservations with such intrusive DRM.

whoisrich
12-24-2010, 04:46 AM
The developers may not care, but I was going to purchase this game in the sale until I found out it has StarForce DRM.

Render_DXx
12-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Well i was very close to buy this game...luckily i have the habit to check forums and revievs first...always....since nowadays many games are released in a sorry state and/ or have DRM jokes etc included.

3 activations?!?! lol, you must be kidding!

Another lost sale here! :)

DarthWolf
12-24-2010, 06:23 AM
3 lost sales. I was going to buy it for me and some friends. But come one, 3 activation, deactivating? Contacting support for more activation? LoL.

Mostly Rog
12-24-2010, 06:27 AM
I was on the verge of buying this too but decided to check the forums and thankfully found this thread.

I do not buy games with limited activation DRM on principle, however good they look or cheap they are.

Come on Gaijin, we all know this sort of DRM doesn't work anyway and most other devs have seen sense and stopped using this kind of restrictive rubbish.

Patch it out and I'll happily buy your game.

Sm0kinJ0nes
12-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah was here to make sure the game was worth getting as a just LOVE flight sims... and at 6 bucks it is hard to say no.

But here I GO ... LOST SALE HERE AS WELL.
DRM + STEAM = NO (even if it was FREE, I would rather install a trojan virus)

Thanks for the post, I would have made a HUGE mistake.

To be fair .. please also read this post before making your decision:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163443
I still chose not to for the simple fact that I do not support DRM for obvious reasons.

JIgsawX
12-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Seen it on sale was going to buy then seen Starforce...When are Dev's going to learn

DarkBridge
12-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Wow, glad I decided to look at the forums before making a purchase. Bummer, I was looking forward to a flight sim for the first time in a while.

Why would you even implement DRM on the Steam version of the game? What a terrible decision.

EDIT: Oh, we can get activations back, I guess that's...better?
Then I saw we have to register with yet ANOTHER multiplayer service. Never mind.

elmoi69
12-24-2010, 07:28 AM
A lost sale here too, after checking some videos on youtube, i was convinced to buy it, till i read the youplay DRM stuff, damn it! this is a good game, why?.

r3mxd
12-24-2010, 07:37 AM
:rolleyes:QQ Thread.
All my games are through steam and no issues at all. Even after upgrading my PC 3 times i can still play them with no issues. lol @ PC noobs and I guess most of you have cd/dvd burners and rips software that prevents some games to be played. There are easy ways around it but I can see the lack of pc knowledge here.

StrikerSmith
12-24-2010, 07:38 AM
You have a big lack of knowledge

nabokovfan87
12-24-2010, 07:53 AM
You're joking right?
No place to complain about crazy DRM?
Steam is the most reasonable DRM outside of CD Key checks and Disc Checks I can think of - all the other things install nasty applications to your computer, or even drivers.
All Steam does is makes you spend all your hard earned money.

The fact of the matter is that as gamers we all agree with the drm steam has impossed on us because it makes our lives easier. Granted, even if the game had a million installs a month everyone here would still be complaining simply on the basis of whether or not is uses securom or whatever else is out there.

This entire thing has been going on forever, be thankful you can actually use a tool and get more keys by doing as little as sending an email. If you want the game that badly that you need it on a machine where you must have it and cannot waita day or two for the company to work with you on getting your issue solved, then:

1. You must be new to pc gaming, happened a lot in the old days, and still does.

2. You must have some sort of bizarre lust for all things airplanes because this isn't the kind of game where you constantly have an urge to play it, is it?

Listen, I understand the argument, but the much broader and larger point is that you can't sit there and say "screw drm" when doing so on a drm system, whether it is a good one or not, it just isn't a sound argument.

Murdats
12-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Listen, I understand the argument, but the much broader and larger point is that you can't sit there and say "screw drm" when doing so on a drm system, whether it is a good one or not, it just isn't a sound argument.

when people on steam forums say "screw drm" what they mean is "screw drm that restricts my rights as a consumer without compensating me adequately in return"

but thats a bit long, so its taken as a given

as for

"This entire thing has been going on forever, be thankful you can actually use a tool and get more keys by doing as little as sending an email"

yes it has and people have been fighting it forever, and as I have often pointed out I own close to 300 games on steam, I am not going to register/deregister/email company or anything like that for all of them, this game is not special, this is not the only game I have, in fact this is not the only game in existence and as the publishers have come to realise if they don't respect their customers their customers will move onto one of their vast number of competitors

and as for sending an email, this company is barely alive, for how long can I send an email? once they go bust then what happens when I run out of activations, if in fact starforce will still allow activations and authentication at all.

Baron Of Hell
12-24-2010, 08:16 AM

That thread was locked a month ago. I was just about to go on total insane rant until I seen the drm was listed on the main page for the game. The really should make that stand out more.

Anyway I was going to buy this but will not now. IL2 is probably better game anyway.

A note to steam people. Many of us buy your games to avoid horrible drm like this. If I had accidentally bought this crap I would have been pissed 3 ways to New York. Could you maybe make the DRM standout more or have a setting that forces a popup that says "This game uses DRM beyond the standard steam DRM do you still want to buy it".

This is insane because you must see the harm you are doing. The pirates are laughing at us. While they get to play without the activations we get screwed. You are forcing people to jump through hoops to play a game they bought. You know they bought the game. You had the wrong email address up to contact for more activations. And I didn't see one apology for your mistake. Lucky for the community someone else posted the correct place to go. Lets all hope the site and email never changes so those that rented the game can still play it.

Sorry I guess this was a rant. I'll end on a more positive note. You guys definitely do more good than bad. I'm aware you didn't ask for the DRM to be put in this game and probably would have done without if you could. And the sells you guys have are pretty good. Also the money I won't be buying this game with will be added to the money I'm donating to child's play.

DarthWolf
12-24-2010, 08:26 AM
That thread was locked a month ago. I was just about to go on total insane rant until I seen the drm was listed on the main page for the game. The really should make that stand out more.

Anyway I was going to buy this but will not now. IL2 is probably better game anyway.

A note to steam people. Many of us buy your games to avoid horrible drm like this. If I had accidentally bought this crap I would have been jarateed 3 ways to New York. Could you maybe make the DRM standout more or have a setting that forces a popup that says "This game uses DRM beyond the standard steam DRM do you still want to buy it".

This is insane because you must see the harm you are doing. The pirates are laughing at us. While they get to play without the activations we get screwed. You are forcing people to jump through hoops to play a game they bought. You know they bought the game. You had the wrong email address up to contact for more activations. And I didn't see one apology for your mistake. Lucky for the community someone else posted the correct place to go. Lets all hope the site and email never changes so those that rented the game can still play it.

Sorry I guess this was a rant. I'll end on a more positive note. You guys definitely do more good than bad. I'm aware you didn't ask for the DRM to be put in this game and probably would have done without if you could. And the sells you guys have are pretty good. Also the money I won't be buying this game with will be added to the money I'm donating to child's play.

Steam has to make cash after all, I don't blame them for that. The information on right side is pretty clear about this drm. If you ignore it, you have to be new in PC gaming (then mostly you won't mind it at all - this could be harsh but it is good lesson for newbies ) or foolish. But if that what you said is true (about time that steam putted info about drm) then that was big mistake. Someone should get slap for that ;)

GrimCW
12-24-2010, 08:43 AM

fyi this is IL2 :p
the followup that was wanted a long time ago...
how the mighty have fallen.

Malkhuth
12-24-2010, 09:07 AM
I was just about to throw this game and two others into my cart before today's sales end when I noticed that it has activation limits. Whoever the publisher is, thanks for saving me $7.49.

forumhawk
12-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Granted, even if the game had a million installs a month everyone here would still be complaining simply on the basis of whether or not is uses securom or whatever else is out there.

Some people would complain, but I, and many other would buy it.
Three install limit is just BS especially here, where re-installing the game at whim is the main reason to use Steam.

This entire thing has been going on forever, be thankful you can actually use a tool and get more keys by doing as little as sending an email.

Really? Be Thankful? Customers like you are the reason we are getting screwed.

If you want the game that badly that you need it on a machine where you must have it and cannot wait a day or two for the company to work with you on getting your issue solved

Look, I have hundreds of games. Do I have to contact every developer when I reinstall my operating system? I want this game. I had it in my wishlist for a while, but I don't want it that badly, and it's their loss not mine.

fearlessfrog
12-24-2010, 02:48 PM

A note to steam people. Many of us buy your games to avoid horrible drm like this. If I had accidentally bought this crap I would have been jarateed 3 ways to New York. Could you maybe make the DRM standout more or have a setting that forces a popup that says "This game uses DRM beyond the standard steam DRM do you still want to buy it".

Apologies, I thought the sticky was left open. Before the sale yuplay got a company stooge to start bothering steam moderators to lock all DRM mentioning threads - a bit like the DRM, that tactic didn't work apparently...

lordofterror
12-24-2010, 02:50 PM
one more sale lost im letting this go for this time maybe they will have a change of heart and remove the drm later

agentghost
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Had this in my cart along with the DLC since yesterday and was very tempted. (i knew about the DRM when it was released and it was the 1 single thing that stop me from buying).

Thank you Gaijin company for saving me $14. I will spend it on other games instead. =)

P.S. the drm was imposed by the developer and not the publisher right? because other games made by Gajiin (the new Apache game for example) also has Starforce 5.7 & yuplay integrated.

Kimohboda
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Bought it, won a sale!
For 5 euro's i cant leave this game just because of the DRM. Thanks Steam!

Fozzy the bear
12-24-2010, 09:54 PM
DRM + Steam DRM + having to activate at Yuplay and run a torrent client in the background + three activation limit + emailing company that will take a few days to respond to you with a new activation = NO THANKS.

What happens if this Russian indy company goes out of business? Don't say it wont happen, because I have known plenty of Russian game developers that have tanked (Light House Interactive's T34 vs. Tiger).

I honestly, and still do, want to buy this game. But judging by some of the threads I read on the Pooplay forums, the MP experience is dead. It's so bad that their small community has to schedule an event to get a few people to join a server, which is said to be "laggy" as hell.

Fozzy the bear
12-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Pavel Kulikov
Gamedesigner at Gaijin Entertainment

http://ru.linkedin.com/pub/pavel-kulikov/19/680/688

GrimCW
12-24-2010, 11:24 PM
i wonder if Uplay and yuPlay have a connection somewhere :)

_GUMA_
12-25-2010, 01:53 PM
I only buy this game because I did not know about this damn DRM :(

SM_Sith_Lord
12-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I would not have bought this game if I knew about the BS it was going to put me through just to play it.

It limits you to 3 activations, so this means 3 re-formats down the road, this game will be completely useless to me? Sounds like an extended rental or something.

On a side note, since Steam has such good DRM, WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO TRADE GAMES WITH OUR FRIENDS?

If it was Xbox or PS3, swapping games with a friend would be no problem. Seems like with Steam's sophisticated DRM the same could be possible here, although it would negatively effect their sales I'm sure. I assume that's why you still can't trade games with friends on Steam.

going2fast
12-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Apologies, I thought the sticky was left open. Before the sale yuplay got a company stooge to start bothering steam moderators to lock all DRM mentioning threads - a bit like the DRM, that tactic didn't work apparently...
STFU already, really. nobody wants to hear your sanctimonious crap.

Zrchrn
12-25-2010, 10:21 PM
STFU already, really. nobody wants to hear your sanctimonious crap.

Whoa! I may have missed something, but this seems quite harsh.

Fozzy the bear
12-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Whoa! I may have missed something, but this seems quite harsh.

Yeah, don't mind the obvious troll and just click the report button. Out of three post, he has told me and fearlessfrog to "STFU."

DoubleD
12-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Before the sale yuplay got a company stooge to start bothering steam moderators to lock all DRM mentioning threads - a bit like the DRM, that tactic didn't work apparently...

Don't spread false rumors please.

Coopz
12-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Wish I knew it had DRM before I bought it:(

This is bull♥♥♥♥, game is a complete bastard to start.

fearlessfrog
12-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Don't spread false rumors please.

Sorry TrippleD - here's what happened from my perspective. A steam forum user before the sale did message the mod DerrickG and asked him to lock all the existing DRM threads for this game. This was before the sale, and before many (many) new ones sprung up.

I know this because that user also PM'd me, in a way I considered offensive too, insomuch that I had to report it as abusive. DerrickG then agreed that as long as I didn't write DRM posts here then that user shouldn't be able to pm me that way again,i.e. we both got told to 'time out'. I've kept away.

I don't have any proof that the person asking for the successful locking of the threads was a yuplay employee, but do suspect it (english seemed a 2nd language, very passionate about the impression the DRM threads were giving etc).

You're right it's just rumor and I'll retract that, but it's not just something I made up - the DRM were asked to be locked by someone and they were.

Merry Xmas btw

going2fast
12-26-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't have any proof that the person asking for the successful locking of the threads was a yuplay employee, but do suspect it (english seemed a 2nd language, very passionate about the impression the DRM threads were giving etc).

Merry Xmas btw

More false rumors from a troll, STFU already

KhaiJB
12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
seems anyone speaking against the trolls = yuplay employee.

how about the more simple fact, there are enough damn threads about the damn DRM? each time the game goes on sale, instead of using an existing thread to complain, ppl open a NEW thread... that's the complaint from me!

but no. there's a conspiracy instead..

thank god for the forum's ignore lists....

Murdats
12-26-2010, 11:03 AM
So the game is on sale again, so it seems this thread will get another kick in the pants

prepseb
12-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Another lost sale here

StrikerSmith
12-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Again People, DONT BUY THIS!

It has activation limits, crappy support, it is complicated to install/play, I think it has StarForce and StarForce is like a virus

r3mxd
12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Lost sale here too.

Remove the limited activations and yuplay requirements and I'll buy it.

i have installed and reinstalled after reformatting windows and making hardware upgrades and I have never ever had a problem with any game that has Securom or Steams DRM or yuplay or GFWL.
Thank you for the good old gamers that understand DRM and have no issues with it finally i see some sense in the forums.

DoReMi
12-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Not buying because of DRM, I played it at my neighbour's and loved it, then saw this sale, was all over it. Starforce though...really?
Punish your customers, I won't be one of them.

GrimCW
12-26-2010, 11:25 AM
i have installed and reinstalled after reformatting windows and making hardware upgrades and I have never ever had a problem with any game that has Securom or Steams DRM or yuplay or GFWL.
Thank you for the good old gamers that understand DRM and have no issues with it finally i see some sense in the forums.

GFWL and steam ditto.
but the limited activations.. not so.
i lost a copy of Crysis to EADownloader because a screw up at the server side wiped my activations and license, locking me out of the game forever.
it took over 2 months and e-mail/phone chat to get them to actually look into it.
worse over they couldn't even fix the issue, i had to make a second downloader account just to get a fresh copy credited.
meaning i have 1 account with 3-4 games on it, 1 unplayable, and a second account for 1 game specifically.

similar issue with TAGES where they accused me directly (actually stating it to me) of being a pirate saying i had used my key to often. I was having computer troubles and had to clean the system out, reinstall, then do it all over again when my Mobo decided to get fried one night during an electrical storm.
it took weeks to get them to lift the ban on my IP, not my game, my IP, meaning any game with TAGES wasn't going to work until they did that.

GFWL is just a nuisance, especially since it requires online connection just to save.
STEAM is a blessing as it has full function on and offline, even if dropped connection occurs and lasts for more than 2 minutes.

but limited installs and a requirement to contact the makers just to get additional.. no go.

Even Securom refreshes your install limit after a period of time automatically, this one does not.

Pikey
12-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Oh Dear, well i was just about to buy this but i usually check the forums first. Good thing I did. Another lost sale here :cool:

fearlessfrog
12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
seems anyone speaking against the trolls = yuplay employee.

how about the more simple fact, there are enough damn threads about the damn DRM? each time the game goes on sale, instead of using an existing thread to complain, ppl open a NEW thread... that's the complaint from me!

but no. there's a conspiracy instead..

thank god for the forum's ignore lists....

I don't think you're a yuplay employee KhaiJB, although if your asking me to guess I'd say you're either in school or out of work?

Plus thanks for the ignore tip - didn't know that, although not sure I'd use it, i.e. Isn't a forum meant to be all people?

Finally, thanks for the thread bump - it's been nice to see some steam feedback on the DRM here again, and your post put it 'back on top' once again! Your reply probably lost WoP a few sales for people that hadnt noticed the DRM before.

Cheers for the feedback.

i_2_i
12-26-2010, 11:57 AM
3 installs i won't buy it, i can't i upgrade my box about 1-2 a year... most times i upgrade disks and i do a fresh install and forget to uninstall things in the old install... so i would end up unable to play in no time... now if they allowed me to uninstall / invalidate past installed online that would not be a problem. but if i had to uninstalled from running installed os, that maybe a problem. that always kills me with things like itunes, luckily they always allow me to reset my 5 turns. else i would have been locked out from them long ago... hey what can you say i upgrade a lot and i'm an airhead that forgets to uninstall a good amount of the stuff, hard to track what need to ne uninstalled since their are like a growing number of schemes. so for me i'm skipping this excellent game untill i know more about their drm and how to uninstalll...

hfm
12-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Stopping treating your customers like pirates is a good starting point for gaining more sales.

This is the main point. Some quick google searches will reveal why this is just hurting the customer willing to fork over money.

Corsario
12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Didn't buy the game before due to DRM. Saw it on sale now and though of buying it, so I went to the game page to see if the publisher's DRM had been withdrawn from the game. Since it wasn't, not even this ultra-low price will make me buy it, although I would pretty much want to play it.

torpidbeaver
12-26-2010, 12:49 PM
One more lost sale. Sorry. Would've really enjoyed playing this, too, I think.

Sir_Galahad
12-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Also isn't Frontline Proactive (the name of the DRM) a brand of flea killer for Cats.
That's what I thought as I heard of the DRM the first time :D. Only that this one doesn't kill fleas but sales (like mine).

They could have removed this crap from the steam version by now.

There is only one thing worse than activation limits: Ubisoft-DRM :eek:

By the way, I wouldn't buy it with 5 activations or 7 or 10. Get rid of this steaming pile of horse dung and I will buy it (would have bought it even for more then the 5-sale).
And I don't own a 360 or PS3, so no sale from there either :p.

KyRoS
12-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I was going to buy it too, but the 3 time activation limit is pretty ridiculous. Sorry, no sale from me either.

Lurpsukka
12-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Cancelled my demo download.

Shame, my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick hasn't been in use in years :(

subsonika
12-26-2010, 01:37 PM
yep. i was gonna buy it until i found out about the stupid drm. another lost sale.

gossamer
12-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Damn I bought this... then read these forums.

I format my PC a lot so I'm going to hit the activation limit and be f***** out of my purchase... Why do companies impose such a DRM on steam? I can see them doing what they want through other services, but not steam please.

londonstinks
12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Glad I checked out the forums! Was literally about to buy it until I read this! 3 machine activation limit? HAHAHA ♥♥♥♥ that, I format my pc alot so can't be dealing with this ♥♥♥♥.

Sonucais
12-26-2010, 01:43 PM
It was looking good... I'll keep with DogFighter.
Not buying it for 4,99€ if has DRM just because it's not a good deal, sorry.
Thanks God I always check out the forum before I buy something I have no idea about.

Khazadom
12-26-2010, 02:04 PM
LOL, glad i checked here first

Sabrejack
12-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I buy tons of games, especially when they go on sale, but I always check the forums first. This DRM / yuplay thing is a deal breaker.

Beyond that, the game's primary developer argues with people on their forums. He's frequently rude, and in response to why the Steam copy still had DRM, he said that Steam purchasers were merely bonuses and that he couldn't be bothered to make a special version for Steam that lacked the extra DRM.

Sale lost. Literally, I had a friend buy it, I was clicks away from buying a copy to play co-op with him, and then: sale lost.

MishFonger
12-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Bye bye Wings of Prey

Woofy12
12-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Yep lost sale here. I'm a ww2 airplane fan but I'm not a 'getting cheated out of my game by ♥♥♥♥♥♥ publishers' fan. As echoed many times before by the posters on this thread: Steam is DRM enough. Learn to read, fellas (publishers).

going2fast
12-26-2010, 02:49 PM
OMG a decent pc game that has drm. I will deny myself many hours of enjoyment to make a stand against drm while i have other steam games with drm and dont mention them.

StrikerSmith
12-26-2010, 03:00 PM
You just don't get it.

TIE Fighter
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
OMG a decent pc game that has drm. I will deny myself many hours of enjoyment to make a stand against drm while i have other steam games with drm and dont mention them.

I, for one, don't have any problems with certain DRM. The Steam DRM is a perfect example of how to do it right. But when you force a limitation on how many times you can install a game is where I draw the line.

I frequently reformat my PC. I do this to keep it running at optimal speeds and just so I don't clutter my machine. On top of that I have more than one PC in my household. So I'm going to go through those installations pretty quick.

This is another sale lost. Yes, over $7.

going2fast
12-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I, for one, don't have any problems with certain DRM. The Steam DRM is a perfect example of how to do it right. But when you force a limitation on how many times you can install a game is where I draw the line.

I frequently reformat my PC. I do this to keep it running at optimal speeds and just so I don't clutter my machine. On top of that I have more than one PC in my household. So I'm going to go through those installations pretty quick.

This is another sale lost. Yes, over $7.

you're so misinformed its sad. you can get as many activations as you need. you would know that if you did any real research on this game instead of just replying to a hate topic in the steam forum. if you wish to be ignorant thats fine but there are real issues with this game that are more worthy of consideation such as the activation difficulty issues, graphics related CTDs and this game pretty much being abandoned by the developers just to name a few.
you're just another hate spammer so please do us all a favor and STFU

StrikerSmith
12-26-2010, 03:47 PM
you're so misinformed its sad. you can get as many activations as you need. you would know that if you did any real research on this game instead of just replying to a hate topic in the steam forum. if you wish to be ignorant thats fine but there are real issues with this game that are more worthy of consideation such as the activation difficulty issues, graphics related CTDs and this game pretty much being abandoned by the developers just to name a few.

you are telling everyone, even somebody saying real critism and not just hate posts like me, to stfu.

Why dont you just stfu?

danot
12-26-2010, 03:47 PM
I have bought most of the games during this great holiday sale. The two games that I almost bought, but avoided are Batman Arkham Asylum, and Wings of Prey. These purchases were avoided solely due to the DRM limitations.

TIE Fighter
12-26-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm not a hate spammer. I'm voicing my opinion so they know next time not to do this. Seriously, look at all the posts on here. This is all lost revenue.

And instead of just spewing out insults why don't you actually 'inform' me with a source? One of the VALVe employees stated that you get 3 installations. After that, you can contact one of the the game's support and receive up to 10 more. See here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13025761&postcount=1).

going2fast
12-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm not a hate spammer. I'm voicing my opinion so they know next time not to do this. Seriously, look at all the posts on here. This is all lost revenue.

And instead of just spewing out insults why don't you actually 'inform' me with a source? One of the VALVe employees stated that you get 3 installations. After that, you can contact one of the the game's support and receive up to 10 more. See here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13025761&postcount=1).

I wont do your thinking for yo but try Google or Yahoo for starters. No kidding, all you have to do is type your source of interest into the search field and click " Enter" key. Even you can do this!!!

TIE Fighter
12-26-2010, 04:26 PM
I wont do your thinking for yo but try Google or Yahoo for starters. No kidding, all you have to do is type your source of interest into the search field and click " Enter" key. Even you can do this!!!

If it's so easy then it shouldn't be an issue for you to show me. Until then I'm going to redirect you to the official post (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13025761&postcount=1) regarding the DRM for this game.

Oh, and calm down, man. Every single post of yours is either you being hostile or just raging. Relax.

going2fast
12-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Wrong again troll, you'll find valuable info in the topic that I posted in this very forum if you spent 2 seconds to look for it. Otherwise continue to be a stupid tool for the haters. And no, I wont point you to the wings of prey forum. if you cant do research please direct all future game purchasing decisions to murdats. That way you dont even have to use your brain.

amcdermo
12-26-2010, 04:36 PM
What about the deactivations? Is that still 9 or can they be renewed? I haven't found that info by searching. Serious question please don't shout at me.

pmamba45
12-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Dev's put their game to sell then their downed servers prevent you activating let alone playing it. Trying to complete my library genre of games and this happens.... lol.

Thx to feedback - Another lost sale here :(

TIE Fighter
12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Wrong again troll, you'll find valuable info in the topic that I posted in this very forum if you spent 2 seconds to look for it. Otherwise continue to be a stupid tool for the haters. And no, I wont point you to the wings of prey forum. if you cant do research please direct all future game purchasing decisions to murdats. That way you dont even have to use your brain.

Okay, you're going on my ignore list. Instead of actually helping people you've been nothing but condescending and just trying to bait people for argumentation. No one here but you is a troll.

What about the deactivations? Is that still 9 or can they be renewed? I haven't found that info by searching. Serious question please don't shout at me.

Apparently you can email the games staff whenever you run out of activations (so basically it's 'unlimited').

But other than that (as far as I'm aware) I think the only other option is by going the way of the pirate. Not suggesting it.

Sir_Galahad
12-26-2010, 04:52 PM
You are calling the people here tools, haters and trolls, when you're the one who is a tool, a hater and most of all a troll. Perhaps you should do some little research for yourself and search for the definition of a troll (and then look in the mirror).

What are you trying to achieve here? Maybe we will understand your point of view more easily. But I think you're just trolling.

And to close my post with your favorite abbreviation: STFU
(somehow I have the feeling that won't happen)

amcdermo
12-26-2010, 04:55 PM
The issue though is that relies on the emailed person granting your request. Even if they do how long will it be? My concern is they'd support the game for now but when they move on they no longer give activations and it's gone. The way to do it seems to be buy and play it legally but if the activations are gone then find a crack or something. Not something I want to do since I use Steam to avoid piracy. :rolleyes:

going2fast
12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Okay, you're going on my ignore list. Instead of actually helping people you've been nothing but condescending and just trying to bait people for argumentation. No one here but you is a troll.

Apparently you can email the games staff whenever you run out of activations (so basically it's 'unlimited').

But other than that (as far as I'm aware) I think the only other option is by going the way of the pirate. Not suggesting it.

Fine, that way you wont be able to see my topic where I point out all the REAL problems with this game as I find them. Please continue to be ignant be all means.

And if you at least do a little searching on the wings of prey forum you'll see that the developers stated that they would release a patch that would deactivate the yuplay login requirement if they were to go out of business. At that point activations aren't even an issue. (not that I believe that claim from ANY game developer)

Rakshasas
12-26-2010, 04:59 PM
It's the troll calling other people trolls. There is no argument for activation DRM. Not anymore. Why the heck would anyone want a system to be in place where you are being told what you can and cannot do with the game you paid for? To make matters worse, if I run out of activations, I have to phone and spend my time off talking to customer service to convince them to let me play the game that I had already paid for?

Do you even realize that if someone pirates this game, the DRM is basically disabled? What kind of message is this sending? Steal the game, no DRM, no hassle. Buy the game, DRM, a lot of hassle.

Oh yeah, that makes TONS of sense. And what happens if the company goes out of business? I can think of a few games where the original company isn't around, at least not in the same capacity. What happens then? I'll spend my 6 bucks on a game I can play forever, whenever I want.

going2fast
12-26-2010, 05:00 PM
wow, nobody seems capable of using a search function on a forum. WTF?

deftonesut81
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Bottom Line:

Steam is a DRM system; adding a second is redundant and a terrible PR move.

As stated previously, the company is not financially sound. If I do run out of activations, it would be nice to know that I can email a company that still has support...

Sgt.Gotee
12-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Glad I checked here first. I was pretty interested in it, but I'm definitely not now.

lonewolfdon
12-26-2010, 05:27 PM
I would have been willing to buy this nice looking game, even at full price, but alas, the horrible DRM scheme they have in place still = another lost sale here despite the current discounted sale price. Remove the DRM for this game, and then I'd probably be quite happy to buy this game.

Qlaras
12-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I forgot to check for DRM; bought game and DLC. I won't be installing it now until I get around to reinstalling my rig, not going to waste one of my precious few activations.

Gaijin Entertainment: I won't be buying any more of your games until you fix this problem. And if you DO ever discontinue support for this game; you'd better remove this DRM (patch it out) for those of us who HAVE bought it; unless you want to go on the permanent blacklist of many gamers.

going2fast
12-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah please do us a favor and dont buy this game. you guys are too friggin stupid to waste bandwidth on in multiplayer matches. griefers are not welcome

Hakello
12-26-2010, 05:43 PM
+1 lost sale

amcdermo
12-26-2010, 05:45 PM
griefers are not welcome

Are you trying to be ironic?

Fozzy the bear
12-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Are you trying to be ironic?

Don't let him bother you and just click the report button. I know he already has a warning for his blatant disrespect of other forum members.

SoupyFlow
12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I was about to buy this game until I heard about the DRM.

Another lost sale here.

cerealkeller
12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
In the fight agains piracy they're effectively ruining the PC gaming genre. These third party servers rarely ever work properly. I'm talking to you Ubisoft. You're the worst of them all. You make awesome games, but I can't even play them without an internet connection, which I have. But your stupid game doesn't seem to recognize it half the time and I get booted mid session. This is why nobody wants to game on the PC anymore. It's too complicated. But the consoles are so frickin lame. EA too. Greedy butt lickers. The 98% of PC gamers who purchase their games legally are the ones who are suffering from this. I guess they figure if nobody buys it because it's so terribly developed, then it can't be pirated. Then 5 years later when nobody wants to play the game anymore they'll unlock the features with a patch or something gay like that. :o Makes me sick.

tricolt
12-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Another lost sale here.

I was also going to buy a flight stick too for this game. You just lost the poor people who make flight sticks money because of DRM. Please remove your crazy DRM which does nothing but screw with legitimate customers. I would like to play this amazing looking game.

Putzo
12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Just read through the sticky thread and gotta say these Gaijin dudes got no clue. Just wow.

+1 lost sale

baraton
12-26-2010, 09:12 PM
lost sale

Murdats
12-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah please do us a favor and dont buy this game. you guys are too friggin stupid to waste bandwidth on in multiplayer matches. griefers are not welcome

seriously, can you stop trolling?

yes we can search, but why look for more issues beyond the deal breaking issue? we won't run into them because this issue means we won't buy it.

also the only one being stupid, hostile or trolling is you (as has been stated), frankly I think most of us will be glad we won't have to play against someone so full of vile and nonsense.

also as for this being a hate thread, please point out the hate in my original post, or in the numerous posts stating little more then "Another lost sale right here."
this thread was quite civil till you appeared

checksix
12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
+1 lost sale. Thank you for this thread. Gaijin Entertainment - are you paying attention? I am not a pirate, far from it. I LOVE to pay for great games. Sadly, you are not gonna get my cash. We both lose.

ps - ignore the troll.

Zrchrn
12-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I just want to add that this is a darn shame. I played the demo when this went on sale earlier and this game is pretty good. That's a lot of developer hours and time that was wasted by this poor decision. But there are plenty of games that are great that I will choose to spend money on because the companies don't treat me like a criminal.

It's getting really kind of annoying how so many studios are crapping on pc gamers because of pirating issues. That's why I like steam, it's a decent middle ground and it is a system that actually provides some tangible benifits and it's just annoying. I am sure glad I don't have to manually update things like TF2, plus it's nice to have my games mostly in one place. (I just hope the offline mode works as advertised in case I find myself in need of it).

BuBBleS82
12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
another lost sale

Joe Molotov
12-27-2010, 01:29 AM
The combination of YuPlay + Starforce w/ a 3 Activation limit just sounds horrible, and I'm hardly a DRM boycotter. I've even grudgingly put up with UbiDRM, but I think I'm going to pass on this.

Audiovore
12-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Was just about to buy this, but stumbled upon this thread, and now will not be purchasing it. Sorry, but Steam is DRM, if you want more, then I may make a point of pirating the game just cause.

agentghost
12-27-2010, 01:55 AM
fark.. my friends gifted me this over Xmas..their idea of a cute joke. >.<

Kittehs!
12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
This joins Splinter Cell and Dead Rising 2 in the lost sales.

Steam is enough DRM for me.

swanee
12-27-2010, 09:26 AM
So glad I found this thread as I almost bought this game. 3 Activations is ridiculous I reformat my drives multiple times a year sometimes.

SoupyFlow
12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
So glad I found this thread as I almost bought this game. 3 Activations is ridiculous I reformat my drives multiple times a year sometimes.

Yep same here, it's a shame they have DRM on the game. :(

Smaxx
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
FrontLine ProActive just prevented another purchase in a ProActive way ...

wolverine1974
12-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I was just about to click it myself and thought, hey...maybe I should check the forums (which is becoming standard before any purchase because I have come to learn the best customer support I get comes from my community and fellow gamers who have dealt with these things...... people alot smarter than myself and the developers in most cases as well.)

there is drm and then there is limitations. I don't care if it is 50 activations if I own it it's mine. not to bring up consoles but if I buy a game for say a xbox 360 and I have three in the house i can bring the disc with me. if it was digital download i can transfer my account from box to box as well as the licenses. these are powers that are given to me from the moment I say buy. whether it's 1 dollar or 80 it's still my purchase for my product.

this same limitation has caused me to not buy other triple a titles which is a shame because like I said whether it's 1 or 80 dollars that's more money in their pocket than none and the pirates are going to get it for free anyhow. I agree steam is good enough drm for me and I have been quite satisfied with them. cheers.

Strategos
12-31-2010, 02:47 PM
I should have checked this thread before I bought it.

AlHudsonFX
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I was just about to click it myself and thought, hey...maybe I should check the forums (which is becoming standard before any purchase because I have come to learn the best customer support I get comes from my community and fellow gamers who have dealt with these things...... people alot smarter than myself and the developers in most cases as well.)

there is drm and then there is limitations. I don't care if it is 50 activations if I own it it's mine. not to bring up consoles but if I buy a game for say a xbox 360 and I have three in the house i can bring the disc with me. if it was digital download i can transfer my account from box to box as well as the licenses. these are powers that are given to me from the moment I say buy. whether it's 1 dollar or 80 it's still my purchase for my product.

this same limitation has caused me to not buy other triple a titles which is a shame because like I said whether it's 1 or 80 dollars that's more money in their pocket than none and the pirates are going to get it for free anyhow. I agree steam is good enough drm for me and I have been quite satisfied with them. cheers.

Well said... most DRM systems fault since make the life harder to legit customer the pirates only has trouble in finding the game on the web.

A good sample of this is Ubisoft DRM with permanent connection to Internet... XBOX, PS3 or Wii needs a permanent internet connection to play? Now the legit owner of this games has to deal with activations limit, registration, permanent connection etc.... the pirate? what he needs? Nothing only needs to apply a patch.

A good sample of this is Wings of Prey you only have the ridiculous quantity of 3 activations without possibility to deauthorize, wait days and beg to developers to get more. While right now you can find the game on the web install it and play it without worries.

Sky_Rail
03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
LOLZ I said this game would Bargain bin because of DRM and all you yahoo's who paid full price said I was cracked. HAHAHHAHAHAH Enjoy your 50.00 DRM fest

Obsidian1510
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Would have purchased but did not due to the draconian DRM measures. You can keep your crappy digital "rights" management measures if you're going to try and take away my rights as a consumer.

salad10203
03-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I was going to buy this but when I found out you had to have a computer to use this I said "no way you pigs", this is getting ridiculous. Who spends money anymore? Its so much cooler to buy nothing and just spam forums.

Brinkman
03-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Was going to buy, not buying now because of the DRM.

Who's bright idea was this? Steam's DRM is enough.

Mudface90210
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
*wanders into forum*

*sees game still has ridiculous DRM*

*wanders out again*

edegro
03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
*wanders into forum*

*sees game still has ridiculous DRM*

*wanders out again*

I was just checking up on the DRM status too. I can't believe the publisher still hasn't fixed this. The game has been in the steam bargain bin for months now. :rolleyes:

WarGameKlok
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
I was just checking up on the DRM status too. I can't believe the publisher still hasn't fixed this. The game has been in the steam bargain bin for months now. :rolleyes:

I see all their spammers came out from under their rocks again. You guys always show up at the same time. Odd. Please continue not buying this game, seriously, you're doing us all a favor.

OMG I just Noticed this game REQUIRES WINDOWS. WTF I run Linux only :( On an IPAD. When will developers finally realize that nobody wants to have to pay for games on computers. Thanks for this thread. I almost bought this game!

Gaming Redeemed
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Definitely no sale to this garbage. Shame on the developer. Shame!

Mudface90210
03-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I see all their spammers came out from under their rocks again. You guys always show up at the same time.

When there's a sale on, you mean? Funny that.

OMG I just Noticed this game REQUIRES WINDOWS. WTF I run Linux only :( On an IPAD. When will developers finally realize that nobody wants to have to pay for games on computers. Thanks for this thread. I almost bought this game!

What possible relevance is this to anything?

KhaiJB
03-18-2011, 01:26 PM
and there goes the DRM. bye bye. adios.

now. about the game...