PDA

View Full Version : Abes Oddysee & Abes Exoddus DxWnd config?

swizzler121
12-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I've tried using DxWnd to run oddysee and exoddus in windowed mode but so far had no luck. I've read that people have done it in forums unfortunately:

1) they didn't show the config they used
2) the thread was long dead
3) they were talking about the retail version, which I've heard is different from the steam version.

so my question is, has anyone pulled it off with the steam versions OR the retail versions? If so, how?

RabidZombie
12-24-2010, 04:47 AM
If I can remember correctly, there are two version of DxWnd floating about. I think after testing of my own, one worked and the other didn't. Even then, the one that worked was a bit buggy. FMVs for instance still played in the top left of the screen and it wasn't the most enjoyable way of playing it.

If your system is up to it, a virtual machine may be the way to go. Maybe Wine On Windows too (the Windows compatibility layer), but that's not well documented.

Dnoces
12-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Virtualizing Oddysee and Exoddus is extremely hard as you need to have Steam open if you want to run the game .exes. Unfortunately.

We really do need some kind of windowing solution for the two games, though!

Update: Forgot about the possibility of copying over the retail Abe .exes to the Steam ones as according to this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721059) that works too. That certainly opens up the possibilities of virtualization more.

RabidZombie
12-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Dnoces: Does that not require the CD to be inserted to play though? I personally have the DRM free ones from GOG.com so this isn't an issue for me. :P

Edit: Just tried DxWnd from http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=52. Works perfectly on Oddysee. The cutscenes even work, unlike I remember. :\ Maybe the GOG version is different, as I remember trying the Steam version before. I'll download it and try...

Dnoces
12-25-2010, 06:11 AM
DxWnd does 'work' like you mentioned, but that's being slightly generous; the windowed screen is bound to the top left corner of the screen, with jittery & mispositioned cutscenes, random screen flashing and general annoyance including the changing of the Windows color scheme.

But that's what I've been using. I just wish it didn't work so darn poorly.

The GOG version is a good question - I wonder what kind of wrapping they use!

Dnoces
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
If you're lucky enough to have the retail discs at hand, the original game plays excellently in the Virtual PC XP Mode.

That being said, that's not a good solution for those that have just bought the game off Steam! Windowing support would be super helpful.

RabidZombie
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I think it'd be a good idea to ask if an update could be issued to get the Steam DRM removed, since that prevents most of the methods to get it running in windowed.