PDA

View Full Version : Why does steam download rate suck?

BudBrownie
12-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok, well my download speed is at least 2MB, and I checked on speedtest.net and it said 20MB, i know it isn't that because I really don't understand what speedtest.net rates mean, but my download speed goes from 900KB-100KB every few seconds. I know it's not my internet, because this isn't the first time. I downloaded BC2 from steam and it wouldn't go higher than 1MB, and would randomly spike to 100KB all the time. So last night I downloaded it from EA, and it never went below 1.3MB download speed. Is there a way to fix this, or is Steam just garbage?

Francis_4_Dead
12-24-2010, 11:06 PM
There's a huge sale going on, bud.

BudBrownie
12-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but at 2AM CT this many people will be downloading? I'm pretty sure steam bandwith can't be that aweful...

Deano
12-25-2010, 11:23 AM
same here mine is jumping from 20kb to 600-700 kb wich is 20-30% of my maxium download speed, it has been like this for days now, unreliable as usual steam.

damaged
12-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Not only is the sale going on, but they moved to a network where they are getting their CDN on the super cheap.

I soon expect Valve to go P2P.

MrSmit
12-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I soon expect Valve to go P2P.

I don't expect that to happen, having so many multiple connections would slow down the customers puters

damaged
12-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't expect that to happen, having so many multiple connections would slow down the customers puters

Oh yeah, I forgot about how companies care so much about our PCs. How silly of me.

Dark_Fire
12-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about how companies care so much about our PCs. How silly of me.

Unlike most, Valve has a reputation for putting their customers first.

As for the DL rate, I got 11 MB/s once, their bandwidth is just being used up wit everyone taking advantage of the sale, 2am CDT doesn't mean much to other countries overseas for example, Eastern Europe would be 10am EET.

Overt.Enemy
12-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok, well my download speed is at least 2MB, and I checked on speedtest.net and it said 20MB, i know it isn't that because I really don't understand what speedtest.net rates mean, but my download speed goes from 900KB-100KB every few seconds. I know it's not my internet, because this isn't the first time. I downloaded BC2 from steam and it wouldn't go higher than 1MB, and would randomly spike to 100KB all the time. So last night I downloaded it from EA, and it never went below 1.3MB download speed. Is there a way to fix this, or is Steam just garbage?

Steam has very high bandwidth, but this is a peak time so it's going to go slower.

Some people have reported that changes to their download location will speed up times. To do that go to Steam --> settings --> "download + cloud" tab --> change your internet connection speed and download location from here. Experiment with different locations but make sure your connection speed is accurate.

Gone'Postal
12-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Your download speed != Steams content servers upload speed x connections to content server.

RuneForce
12-25-2010, 03:13 PM
speedtest tells your bandwidth which is 20MB
the actual download rate with 20mb bandwidth is 2.3MB/s which will be your max.
Also because the sales the servers are overloaded.

nano....
12-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Massive sale, local servers tend to go a little unstable.

Try changing your region to somewhere else, you may have better luck in less active regions.

doomtack
12-25-2010, 05:13 PM
I actually think that the steam servers are holding up very well...
Were this some other company under the strain that the valve servers are under now, they would have been operating far worse (read; Denied service).

amarutuF
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
i posted it in another thread, and ill post it again for the mouth breathers:

The same exact reason why you wait on long lines at stores during the holidays.

Drag0nZorD!
12-27-2010, 09:52 PM
in the US and downloading a constant 2.5MB/s. i love you steam content servers.

Arhey
12-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Generaly you can calculate it, if you devise your gross bandwidth with 8.
So it will give you pretty close net speed. (it's not correct calculation, you have to calculate it more complex and will get near same result, so it can be ignored)

It is because bandwidth is given with MBit/s and you calculate with Megabyte/s
They have different base number. (MBit = 10~0-9 & Megabyte = 2~0-1)

@Topic:
I think it should be understandable, that speed goes down, when many people download big games.
When you watch @ server stats you will see, that steam have around 300 gbit bandwidth, what is great.
They also expand it whole time. Sometimes it helps to change download server.
For example when Crysis was on deal the speed was horrible. I was downloading with 20 kb/s, but after changing server i was downloading with full speed. So if you live in country, where many people use servers don't wonder, just try to change to somewhere, where steam have less users.

Mad Mart
12-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I've been downloading for the last couple of hours. 15% complete & downloading at between 30-50 KB/s. I have an 8 meg connection her in England. I'm sure it should download quicker than this even with the sales?

Edit: That's better, I'm now downloading from the NY server at 500 KB/s.

Drag0nZorD!
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
How did you calculate this?

I just use google. "20 megabits to megabytes"

Angry_Karma
12-30-2010, 09:08 AM

LOL what?? bittorrent style or P2P can be much faster than direct download if done correctly, saving them tons on bandwith.

it will happen, i remember back when people said valve would never charge money for in game items. no one is saying that now.

Wertoret
12-30-2010, 09:36 AM
remember speedtest's download speed is not correct, you have, e.g. 20 mbps which is megaBITS per second and 8 BITS are 1 BYTE, so you must divide the number by 8 and you'll get your download speed in bytes.

Threesixtyci
12-30-2010, 11:22 AM
...because you're not paying a monthly fee.

Jack The Hat
12-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah its so great all these games are on sale, I mean I can spend all this money on games but I can't download a single one because of their servers, so really I dont have any of these games I spent money on because I can't play them at all.

Really I dont care how overloaded their servers are getting if they are hosting this much content they need to get servers which can handle sales or dont bother.

SenorBeef
12-31-2010, 12:08 AM
There are 8 bits in a byte. Byte is the number that you use most often - megabyte, gigabyte, etc. Network speeds have been traditionally listed in megabits (and this probably continues because ISPs want to impress you with big numbers), so you'll have to divide promised connection speeds by 8 to convert it into a useful number.