PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes on startup

Mikey129
12-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I just downloaded the game, When I start the game, The display turns black for about 3 seconds and crashes to Steam.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GFX: Nvidia 9800GTX+ with 260.99 drivers

runtheplacered
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
That's even more then I can get out of it.. I get an hourglass for a half a second and that's it.

angelredx
01-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Same problem here.

I know that's not a proper solution but last weekend I formatted and restored my laptop to factory settings, and when I restored my steam games from backup I found out that both JKII and MotS worked!!!

I suppose there was something related with registry and a clean install solved the problem.

Xenoth
01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
I got the very same problem. Screen goes black for one second and then it returns to Steam. Just bought it as well.

Bloodycrow
01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Have any of you checked out this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346269 ?

Zizzer2000
01-06-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm having the crashing upon startup as well. I have checked out the above thread, but it seems geared towards people who have the game crashing once it's started. I'm having the issue where it says "Preparing to launch.." then it closes without starting the game whatsoever. I've tried the tips mentioned in the above thread and others just for kicks, and it has made no change at all.

There is obviously a bigger issue going on here, but we've yet to figure out exactly what is causing the issue where the game has a failure to start at all.

From what I've gathered, people have been able to play this game on:

Win Vista/Win 7
X64 systems
Systems with 6GB+ of RAM
Systems with brand new Radeon/GeForce cards

I've got Win 7 64-bit with an Radeon 5850. I think most people who are having issues have Win 7 64-bit...maybe it's a setting or a program we are running....but I cannot figure it out. I hope it doesn't take too long to figure a fix out, I'd really like to play DF2 and DF2: MOTS :(

Lord Blade
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I can start the game up, but when trying to start the game, after the first cutscene, when the game should switch to the actual playable bit, it crashes.

I'm using Windows Vista x64.

It looks like it tries to go fullscreen (I see the window outline fill up the screen) but then it crashes.

Bloodycrow
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I would try the ddraw.dll file fix anyway, since it's an older game. It needs something to tell the newer video cards to display it properly.

Download the first file from here: http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=47&section=downloads and place it in the same folder as JK.exe.

Zizzer2000
01-09-2011, 02:12 AM
**FIXED**

POISONREAP Posted this link:

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=56665

I followed the directions and now have Jedi Knight working :D

It glitches a bit where the outline of the window it's open in flashes on and off the screen around the edges....but I'm sure i'll find a fix.

Bloodycrow
01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
It glitches a bit where the outline of the window it's open in flashes on and off the screen around the edges....but I'm sure i'll find a fix.

I had this too. Closing any other program that's running, including web browsers fixed it. Simply minimizing everything didn't always work.

Anything that gives a popup or notification (like a messenger) will cause the window flash as well.