View Full Version : couldn't start a game

12-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I got Riven yesterday, and i can get to the first screen that asks if i want to start a new game or load a saved game. when i try to start a new game i get the error message "couldn't open data file. we have to quit now" then it askes if i want to save changes. i am running Windows 7 and i have tryed several different compatability modes including windows 95 and 98. i'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if you have how did you fix it?

12-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Please open a support ticket at http://support.cyanworlds.com. Be sure to include a copy of the dxdiag report from your computer along with details of the behavior you are seeing.

Thanks -

Cyan Customer Support Team

01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I had the same problem at first, but that got fixed by getting steam to verify data integrity... redownloaded some file and then it worked just fine...

01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a similar problem except the game won't load itself. I'll try to load it, Steam shows the "Loading Riven..." then after a short period of time that'll close out then Riven won't come up. I've tried reinstalling the game but that doesn't seem to work...