PDA

View Full Version : How much does it play like Fire Emblem?

shane3x
12-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I was just browsing through the Steam Store and I came across this game.

Now, I regard Fire Emblem very highly so I am a bit sceptical of this games just because of the very mention of this game. If anyone has played Fire Emblem and this could they give me their impressions?

I'm obviously not expecting a Fire Emblem but from reading the About section:

Grotesque Tactics* combines the features and clichés of Western and Asian console RPGs like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics and provides a highly addicting and entertaining change to the current, more serious role playing games. The game is focused on providing the fascination of the Strategy RPG genre

Poet|Grotesque
12-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Grotesque Tactics is a fun RPG with SRPG Combat System. The main focus is the humorous storyline and crazy characters . A bit Deathspank, Penny Arcade, Monkey Island eg.
If you like that you will like the game.

The combat system was inspired of Shining Force and Fire Emblem. (I really love both games and I'm the designer of Grotesque Tactics ;)) It's not a clone but more a SRPG light for people who like turnbased combat. (so lots of console games, Kings Bounty, Heroes, Fallout 1+2 eg)
Later in the game you control up to 10 party members but don't expect extremely complexity like in Radiant Dawn. Party members can die and you can heal them later.

shane3x
12-27-2010, 02:50 AM
My main worry are the maps, most of them just look like a square grid with little interaction with the Environment. You've played FE so you know what I mean when I talk about things like unit placement before each game and the different things like how cliffs and lakes create varied paths and choke points within each map and the like.

If there was a demo I could just give it a go for myself.

Molotov Slacker
12-31-2010, 08:00 PM
There is a demo available from their website, its on a German website and I didn't try it out but here is the linkage http://www.gamers.at/downloads/demo-2011/

Dawnclaude
01-01-2011, 03:27 PM
But its an older version. the english language was improved for example.