PDA

View Full Version : I loved HAWX1, should I buy 2 on sale?

munky-head
12-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I liked HAWX1 a lot, and now 2 is on sale. Would you suggest me to pick it up?

nigel014
12-27-2010, 12:01 PM
If you looked around the internet a bit, you would see that the single player is ok aslong as you can actually get the game to work in the first place...

Support is just a bunch of drones spouting the same useless information such as "Check your drivers, they are probably out of date" when infact they cannot see that its ubisofts ridiculous launcher that is causing the big issues. Not to mention the DRM.

So if you don't like to waste your money on what essentially is 10gb of useless used up space on your hard drive then please take my advice and do not purchase it.

munky-head
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I had no trouble with the Ubisoft launcher and DRM in AC2. Even though I am against it by principle, this did not affect my gameplay on any recent Ubi title...

I mean the gameplay itself. It it worth the 33% off?

nigel014
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Only if you can get it working in the first place man.

Apparently theres a trick with deleting your launcher files which deletes your saved games aswell.. but even if you do do this trick and try to complete the campaign in one sitting, theres a chance the game fails every so often therefore having to start the game again.

Also haven't heard of anyone able to play online because it kicks you from each and every game you try to join.

+ other problems etc

AlHudsonFX
12-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I liked HAWX1 a lot, and now 2 is on sale. Would you suggest me to pick it up?

I don't know kid but have you seen many modern arcade sims for PC recently?

Because besides HAWX and HAWX 2 there are only WW II games (Here in PC we don't have Ace Combat and next JANE's (http://www.evolvedgames.com/JASF-english.htm) based game still is in the works).

So definitively buy it because doesn't exist many choices. BTW try LockOn: Flamming Cliffs 2 (http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop)

Yeah I know Wings of Prey, Risen of flight, Battlestations, Blazing angels, X-Plane, Flight Simulator are plenty choices for your Joystick.. but based on modern planes aren't.

Sure I like HAWX

munky-head
12-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I enjoyed the arcade style of HAWX1, but if this game suffers from so many technical issues, I think I'll wait for the next sale or price-cut, after the game is fixed.

Thanks guys - I was hoping for positive reassurance but this was more than helpful.

GrimCW
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't know kid but have you seen many modern arcade sims for PC recently?

Because besides HAWX and HAWX 2 there are only WW II games (Here in PC we don't have Ace Combat and next JANE's (http://www.evolvedgames.com/JASF-english.htm) based game still is in the works).

So definitively buy it because doesn't exist many choices. BTW try LockOn: Flamming Cliffs 2 (http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop)

Yeah I know Wings of Prey, Risen of flight, Battlestations, Blazing angels, X-Plane, Flight Simulator are plenty choices for your Joystick.. but based on modern planes aren't.

Sure I like HAWX

problem isn't the lack of games, its the lack of quality.
if the reports around the web are to go by, as said above, its *okay* at best when working.
and tbh most sim players want a sim, not some arcade game, so the market is slim and not very active on either front, since arcade ones just aren't sought on the PC market and realism sims can only go so far before its just a same game different skin.

my personal preference for one is in the WWII ones since you actually get personal with your enemy, and not just fire missiles at some 15 miles off.
and the old ones are still good (Lock On, Janes USAF and F/A18, Fighting Falcon, etc..)
so making more is only in the way of making better GFX.
is it worth spending full price for a shoddy game just because it has better FX than the others in its genre, and said genre isn't one like FPS's where new settings/weapons/items are going to be given, but are rather limited to the here and now selection of every other title in the genre?

i'll be honest, never finished HAWX 1, it never gripped me enough to care fore, and it was far to easy and setup for close combat rather than realistic air warfare.
it was a half ased ACE ripoff to say the least, and as such i haven't bothered with 2.

but if you liked one OP you may like 2, but at 33% and with the UbiDRM, its really in your hands as to if its worth it given stated issues with the title.

on the subject of Ubi's support... nothing like writing a full, well written description of the problem and steps taken thus far to just get a copy and paste reply, then be accused of being Irate when you ask for a real answer and copy/paste your original post :)

they wouldn't even respond to me for years after an issue with Rainbow Six (after they bought it up) that was never resolved, and is/was a KNOWN issue in the games 5th mission.

AlHudsonFX
12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I'll wait for the next sale or price-cut, after the game is fixed.

Well said

munky-head
12-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I actually liked it because it was less serious and more arcade. Any other arcade-focused games I should try?

AlHudsonFX
12-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I actually liked it because it was less serious and more arcade. Any other arcade-focused games I should try?

With more or less modern graphics only
LockOn: Flamming Cliffs 1 & 2 (Is not on Steam)

You can try these
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1745/

If you check Gamespot you're going to find tons of older games.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that if you like choppers you can try DCS: Black Shark (pricey but available on Steam) or Apache: Air Assault (Yuplay exclusive) both use modern graphics.