PDA

View Full Version : Bug with the mouse-camera scroll settings?

Delicieuxz
12-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Adjusting the mouse camera scroll speeds for when moving the cursor against the edges of the screen has no effect. Whether I set the slider to more or less sensitive, it stays the same. This is true for all 3 camera perspectives.

Deviate
12-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Same here. It's ridiculously fast. Wonder if anyone's made a fix for that yet?

Aesir Rising
12-28-2010, 08:31 PM
[Removed prior post, replacing with new info].

The in-game sliders for screen edge turning and camera views were moving too fast even at the slowest setting. I ended up editing the ..\Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2player.ini directly to see if I could slow it down some more.
[Adjust path according to your operating system. The above is from Win7.]

Make a backup copy of the original file so you can test without losing your starting point.

In that file are three relevant sections, including:

[Character Mode Options]

[Exploration Mode Options]

and...
[Strategy Mode Options]

Each section related to the three in-game modes. Each section has mouse and keyboard settings and values for camera controls. You can have different camera rotation values for each mode. The following are key/value pairs for the Exploration mode section that I'm currently trying out and I'll probably tweak it some more, but so far the cam turn speed is greatly improved (slower!) than the slowest setting you can get from the in-game option panel sliders.

[Exploration Mode Options]
Mousewheel_Speed_Min=1.000000
Mousewheel_Speed_Max=5.000000
Mousewheel_Speed_Default=2.000000
Mousewheel_Speed_Current=3.080000
Mouse_Turn_Min=0.050000
Mouse_Turn_Max=0.250000
Mouse_Turn_Default=0.050000
Mouse_Turn_Current=0.100000
Edge_Turn_Min=1.000000
Edge_Turn_Max=5.000000
Edge_Turn_Default=2.000000
Edge_Turn_Current=2.000000
Edge_Move_Min=1.000000
Edge_Move_Max=5.000000
Edge_Move_Default=2.000000
Edge_Move_Current=1.960000
Keyboard_Move_Min=1.000000
Keyboard_Move_Max=5.000000
Keyboard_Move_Default=2.000000
Keyboard_Move_Current=1.960000
You can set values of less than 1.000000. Once you see what values you want through your own testing, you can apply them to keyboard or mouse, and to each of the three in-game modes, according to your own preferences.

dunniteowl
12-29-2010, 08:02 AM
And don't forget, you can also change the setttings for your mouse control hardware in the Control Panel and see if that makes a difference as well. Sure it's a bit of a hassle, but it's worth a shot to see if it makes a difference in your game experience.

Camera controls are one of the most criticized portions of the game. I mean, if you have trouble navigating, then it's hard to enjoy the rest of the game, right?

dunniteowl

Delicieuxz
12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
I'd like to see another patch or two for this game. When was the last, Aug 2009?

Aesir Rising
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Last patch? The 1.23 readme.rtf is dated May 27, 2009. Allowing for release times, yeah, probably around then.

The UI is interfering with the fun though. I recall this as being one of two problems when they (Atari) opened up the beta a few weeks before release. When it was too late to do anything about the feedback on the UI (inc. mouse/key control hinderances). This was the main reason I never purchased NWN2 until now - even though NWN was my 'main' game for several years.

I'm still giving it a go. But I hate to say that NWN had a better cam and movement system.

Also, the screen edge cam/move values I'd posted above are too slow. After playing a while now I'm going to be tweaking them upwards somewhat. I think if I can get the exploration and character mode turning/scrolling right (for me) I'll be able to enjoy the game. Right now, I'm just playing the user interface more than the game.

CrawlingChaos
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I set camera to exploration mode, mapped the camera-key to my thumb-button on mouse....Viola, easy to use 360-degree camera.

P.S. Also you guys realise the settings you put in for one camera mode, are for that mode only right ?

Delicieuxz
12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Of course, but some of the sliders don't have any effect. I'm finding a lot of bugs with the game, some that I don't remember encountering when I played the game long ago.

Aesir Rising
12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Edit the nwnplayer.ini to get better results. The sliders don't work as expected (or at all?) for me either. But the .ini can be edited to change the range of values represented by the left-right sliders, as well as set the default value - and (most importantly) the current value.

The example above is from my current Exploration Mode settings. It works better for me now.

To explain what most of those values mean, I'll explain one set of four related settings for the mousewheel zoom. You can see the pattern and set your preferred values for camera rotation and such, as the key names are similar and follow the pattern of *_min, *_max, *_default, and *_current.

Mousewheel_Speed_Min=1.000000 <-- _min value is the left most slider range start.
Mousewheel_Speed_Max=5.000000 <-- _max value is the right most slider range end.

; The min and max doesn't affect the game, just the slider range.

Mousewheel_Speed_Default=2.000000 <-- The default value if you don't change anything. Must be a number between min and max.
Mousewheel_Speed_Current=3.080000 <-- This is the actual setting for mouse scroll granularity/speed in game. Must be between min and max.
The default scroll range was too wide, and the scroll speed too high for me and my mouse or mouse driver, I guess. Also, it looks like the settings never saved for me when I moved the sliders unless I toggled through the modes (press the asterisk key to toggle modes) at least twice. But even then the mouse wheel zoom was too fast. Same issue for mouse screen edge camera turning.