PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Settings?

Phileosophos
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I find the graphics settings confusing. It seems to me that all it responds to is clicking from one option to the next, and it isn't clear to me whether I'm enabling or disabling or what. Can somebody explain to me how this works? Or point me to a manual? Thanks in advance.

aarste
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
From what I could tell, it's applying the settings on-the-fly, so whatever is shown e.g. Anti Aliasing, it's enabled.

Phileosophos
12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
So is it that I'm choosing? I can have shaders or anti-aliasing but not both? Is that it?

TwoTribes
12-29-2010, 03:25 AM
The AA setting is the highest setting, so it will have shaders as well. Hope this helps?

Kador01
12-29-2010, 07:03 AM
I'd prefer a graphic setting where I can choose which options I want to use, such as anti-aliasing with no shaders. The shaders just seem to make it blurry.

As it is now my only option is to have both features off since I do NOT want shaders.

Phileosophos
12-29-2010, 12:57 PM
The AA setting is the highest setting, so it will have shaders as well. Hope this helps?

Ah, got it. So basically by clicking I'm ramping up the settings as I go. Thanks.

jrr
04-02-2011, 07:51 AM
I agree with Kador01 - I'd like to try AA without shaders. Could you allow us to configure these separately? Manually editing a config file would be fine; you don't need to redo the menu screen.

Totalitator
12-22-2011, 03:26 AM
Is there any way to set the full screen resolution? It sure doesn't look like it.

Ansive
12-26-2011, 08:32 AM
It's been updated for HD some time ago.
The game runs at your desktop resolution.

I can run the game in 1920x1200.

You cannot set the resolution in game.

stillwater78
12-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Dumbest graphics settings UI I've ever seen. You have to go through every option individually, and you have to wait for every one to re-render the screen. Since there's no indication of whether you're at the lowest or highest setting, you'll inevitably go past the highest and then loop back to the lowest, having to repeat the whole loop again to get to the highest.

In other words, the average player will click the button (and wait for the engine to catch up) about 5 times....only to discover that the settings were already at their highest, and that there aren't many settings to tweak anyway.

Whoever designed the UI for this game deserves a bucket of water to the head.

Ansive
12-26-2011, 03:43 PM
The settings go from 1 square to 4 squares. How's that different than a slider with 4 positions?
And it takes about 10 seconds to cycle through all 4 settings.

The settings change on the fly because it doesn't take long.

stillwater78
12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
The settings go from 1 square to 4 squares. How's that different than a slider with 4 positions?
The answer is within your question: it's different because it's not a slider. A slider has an obvious beginning and an obvious end that instantly informs the user of what the parameters are, what is minimum, what is maximum, and where the *current settings* are in relation to those extremes. All you need is a single glance to know that "ah, the graphics are currently maxed out" or "oh, there's an even higher setting I can try".

a button that rotates from 1 square to 4 squares is an arbitrary, unfamiliar system that doesn't show any of those things: it doesn't immediately show what the minimum or maximum are, and it doesn't show where your current settings are in relation to anything else. It's a set of symbols that remains pretty much meaningless until you've done a lap of them and have learnt how many squares there are in total. It's a case of a designer making a half-hearted attempt to be creative and overthinking a basic UI feature, while at the same time totally underthinking it.

And it takes about 10 seconds to cycle through all 4 settings.
The settings change on the fly because it doesn't take long.10 completely unecessary seconds that are wasted only because of a dumb design decision. If Crysis doesn't make me wait 10 seconds to show me what my graphical options are, then I sure as hell don't appreciate some budget indie game doing so.

Yes, it's minor in the general scheme of things. But I design interfaces for a living, so I guess these things stick out to me more than the average person.