PDA

View Full Version : Does your child play Garry's Mod? Looking for a kid-safe place to play?

g0dFather911
12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
There are too many GMod servers loaded with morons and/or child admins that abuse the power. Because of this, I run a password-ed 10-slot Garry's Mod server for my kids, currently ages 6, 10, & 12. I work hard to enforce a kid-safe environment. Nothing sexually suggestive is allowed. No swearing is tolerated, verbal or text. Players respect each others props. It's just a group of kids that love to invent, build, and have fun.

The server is modded and updated weekly.

They have a few friends that they play with, but it's hard to find parents and children with likewise values. If you are wanting the same for your child(ren) and think they can follow the simple rules, send me a private message and we can discuss it further. :)

Morigerator
12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
No safe place until you make up a server moderated by you.

Mr.Castly
12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Well there's been way too many kids playing Team Fortress 2 lately :/
So many youngin's.
Wanna take some of them?

g0dFather911
12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
No safe place until you make up a server moderated by you.

It is moderated by me, either by joining the server or looking over my kids' shoulders while they play. :)

So many youngin's.
Wanna take some of them?

Hehe, TF2 is my fav...and yes, too many kids lately.

TheAngrySniper
12-30-2010, 03:12 AM
I for one think this is an excellent idea.

OrangeNinja
12-30-2010, 03:52 AM
No place is safe on the internet \: even if you moderate it

But nice of you that you have this kind of server P:

skiddlywibble
12-30-2010, 04:02 AM
So many youngin's.
Wanna take some of them?

I think the idea of child-friendly servers is to protect them from rudeness and such. Given that most of the kids who play TF2 are at home with that stuff, it's probably a bit too late. Anyway, a parent who's OK with letting their kid play TF2 probably doesn't need to go to the trouble of getting into a child-friendly server.

g0dFather911
12-30-2010, 09:38 AM
I think the idea of child-friendly servers is to protect them from rudeness and such. Given that most of the kids who play TF2 are at home with that stuff, it's probably a bit too late. Anyway, a parent who's OK with letting their kid play TF2 probably doesn't need to go to the trouble of getting into a child-friendly server.

That depends. We're a gaming family. My kids play TF2 but I have it set where sprays, text chat, and voice chat are disabled on their PCs. It's sad that they have to play that way, but at some point they will be older and less impressionable. I'm not naive to think that they're not exposed to it in everyday life, but they're also learning that just because some things exist in the world doesn't mean they always have to subscribe to them. That's just my personal opinion, and I appreciate everyone's input. :)

Again, send me a private message if you're interested in this for your child.

TheAngrySniper
12-30-2010, 09:47 AM
That depends. We're a gaming family. My kids play TF2 but I have it set where sprays, text chat, and voice chat are disabled on their PCs. It's sad that they have to play that way, but at some point they will be older and less impressionable. I'm not naive to think that they're not exposed to it in everyday life, but they're also learning that just because some things exist in the world doesn't mean they always have to subscribe to them. That's just my personal opinion, and I appreciate everyone's input. :)

Again, send me a private message if you're interested in this for your child.

I already sent you a PM a while ago, just waiting on a Reply.

Anyway, I commend you on what you are doing. Good job and Have some Rep.

Mr.Christian
12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
You, my dear sir, have just earned a REP+.

Ironclaw258
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Good idea. I've nothing but bad news about the multiplayer. Someone give him some rep from me. The button's either hidden well, or I'm blind.

dsidewd
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Good idea. I've nothing but bad news about the multiplayer. Someone give him some rep from me. The button's either hidden well, or I'm blind.

The button looks like this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/v4_images/buttons/reputation.gif

Ironclaw258
01-07-2011, 12:30 AM
The button looks like this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/v4_images/buttons/reputation.gif

Weird, only shows up on my sidebox...

M.Hison
01-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Weird, only shows up on my sidebox...

You need to have one reputation or fifty posts to give reputation.

St Hetfield
01-11-2011, 11:56 PM
It's good if kids have a server where they can play with others who are same aged, most likely if you join any community server and you are about 9-14, you get possibly most likely insulted because of either trolls or you've done something yourself.

I am a community admin myself in Garry's Mod and the only thing I don't like is kids who ask millions of questions "ban this person and this" without any evidence, other reason is when they have microphone and start to either make annoying noises or talk about something which is non-related to anything.

Ofcourse teaching kids ingame about things is great, but if they don't respect older players then it's better to stay in own made dedi server ;).

g0dFather911
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
It's good if kids have a server where they can play with others who are same aged, most likely if you join any community server and you are about 9-14, you get possibly most likely insulted because of either trolls or you've done something yourself.

I am a community admin myself in Garry's Mod and the only thing I don't like is kids who ask millions of questions "ban this person and this" without any evidence, other reason is when they have microphone and start to either make annoying noises or talk about something which is non-related to anything.

Ofcourse teaching kids ingame about things is great, but if they don't respect older players then it's better to stay in own made dedi server ;).

My thoughts exactly!

I've taught my kids the Do's and Don'ts when playing online. We play together in public Team Fortress 2 servers all the time. Having said that, I also know that although they play well with others, they're still kids. Their little voices are going to grind on an adult occasionally. Plus as you stated, some people will pick on them simply because of age. So why not group them together?

I don't need my kids joining a public server to listen to foul language, nude ragdolls in sexual poses, perverted sprays, pedophiles, and 12-year old snot admins who jail you if you don't let them boss you around. I'm not saying all public servers are like this, but I don't have time to go out and find safe ones. Instead...I created one for my kids, password it, and invite others to join initially as probates. :)

Ironclaw258
01-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Personally, I'm to afraid to go online to see which servers are safe. The horrors :(

Carnack64
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
IP please?

g0dFather911
01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
IP please?

I'll PM you. ;)

sporeguy
01-21-2011, 06:28 AM
it would be cool if one were to make a childproof sandbox gamemode,
it should need

no blood codes
no bad stuff
nice npc's

g0dFather911
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
it would be cool if one were to make a childproof sandbox gamemode,
it should need

no blood codes
no bad stuff
nice npc's
Childproof? Did you mean childsafe? As far your requests, I'm afraid the server isn't THAT kid-friendly. :D

Invites are still open for those who would like their kid(s) to play. Our kids haven't been able to play much due to school, but that doesn't mean others can't get together. Remember that the server is located in Chicago so pings will vary. PM me if interested.

St Hetfield
04-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Is there any way to play in that server actually?

If there is, would be nice to play there and teach kids how to pose and such.

NBGskaterNBG
04-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Keep away kids from the public servers. Why you ask?

Because 300% of the time they act like ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, Insult and act "Cool" so its good to keep them on a server where noone can see them.

No offence but, I think alot of people know this is true. Though its good to make a server just for kids because there is too many people swearing on Publics, OR You can just play the game yourself singleplayer yeah?

g0dFather911
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Is there any way to play in that server actually?

If there is, would be nice to play there and teach kids how to pose and such.
Yes, there is. Check your private messages. :)
Keep away kids from the public servers. Why you ask?

Because 300% of the time they act like ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, Insult and act "Cool" so its good to keep them on a server where noone can see them.

No offence but, I think alot of people know this is true. Though its good to make a server just for kids because there is too many people swearing on Publics, OR You can just play the game yourself singleplayer yeah?
I agree. :)

briggsotis
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
garrys mod is not safe it is often found giant ♥♥♥♥♥' are being made. try minecraft.

g0dFather911
04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
try minecraft.
As a matter of fact, the kids play Minecraft too...LOL!

Parasite5565
04-08-2011, 01:42 AM

I have friends as kids and they're not so bad. But I do run into to those everyday annoying ones and I'm not just talking about kids younger than 14. I'm talking ages of like 15-19 who act childish because they're not face to face with the person.

So if you see a kid online, please don't judge him because of his age. There's always those kids who could be your best friend in the future:)