PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Krome
12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
So, i've been thinking of buying prince of Persia games for some time, but i'm confuzzled on what game to get first.

My own logic tells me that the game called "prince of Persia" would be the first in line, but than seeing it was released in December 2008, made me wonder, Cause i used to own another Prince of Persia game on Gamecube, and that was long before 2008.

Than i see that "Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones" is released in December 2005, and judging by it's name this is clearly a sequal, right?

So what game would be best to start with? in terms of storyline.

Cheers!

Rellik66
12-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Just plain "Prince of Persia" (released in 2008) has nothing to do with the other PoPs storywise, play it first or last.

In chronological order:

Prince of Persia: Sands of time
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (this one is actually the most recent release, but takes place between SoT and WW)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Mehbah
12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
The series was revived with PoP:The Sands of Time. The series is actually much older than that, but I'll assume that you're only interested in the newer entries.

The Sands of Time was the first one, and is very highly praised by just about everyone, ever. It really is an amazing game, and you should try it.

Warrior Within is the sequel to Sands of Time, and continues the story. Everyone loved Sands of Time, but it had a problem: no one bought it. To solve the sales problem, Ubisoft went all out by making the game appeal to the lowest common denominator. It does away completely with the good atmosphere of the first game, and leaves you with an entirely detestable Prince. The music is replaced with rock of the really bad variety. The Prince's hair magically goes from brown to black. The combat is "improved" by adding a long list of attacks that you will never memorize and that all have silly names. The gore was cranked up to ten. It might still be worth playing, since the platforming is still as good except for some annoying and confusing backtracking, but it's generally agreed that it's the weakest in the trilogy. It added one good thing to the series, basically, which is the ability to throw enemies.

The Two Thrones is the final game in the Sands of Time trilogy. It was intended to be the perfect mix of Sands of Time's atmosphere and characters and Warrior Within's combat, but to be honest, it's far more similar to Warrior Within in all of those aspects. It does away with some of the things plaguing Warrior Within, though, and is much more bearable. In the end it's a solid game that is worth playing, but it doesn't quite reach the level of Sands of Time. After Warrior Within's influence on the atmosphere and characters, they simply aren't very appealing. The platforming is still good, and the ending is really good if you have played Sands of Time.

The Prince of Persia from 2008 is a reboot of the series that doesn't have anything to do with the previous games, just like Sands of Time was a reboot of the series before that. The story is standalone and the game has nothing to do with the previous trilogy. It's a really beautiful game, but that's sadly where my praise ends. Some like it, but it's widely considered a disappointment to some degree. Try it out if you want to, though my recommendation is to ignore it.

Forgotten Sands is the most recent game. It was released because of the PoP movie that had just come out, and is supposed to fit in between Sands of Time and Warrior Within in the old trilogy, presumably because Ubisoft realized that everyone loved the old Prince and that everyone hated the new Prince. I haven't played it, though the common opinion seems to be that it's not that good.

So, short list of release order and my score:

Sands of Time trilogy:
Sands of Time - 10/10
Warrior Within - 5/10
The Two Thrones - 8/10

New reboot:
PoP 2008 - 4/10

Game four of the Sands of Time trilogy:
Forgotten Sands - ?/10

Also, The Sands of Time contains the very first PoP as an unlockable, if you're interested in playing it. At least I think the Steam version does; I haven't verified it.

Rellik66
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
The "unlockable" part of SoT was more of an easter egg than than the full original PoP from 1990

Mehbah
12-29-2010, 03:36 PM
The "unlockable" part of SoT was more of an easter egg than than the full original PoP from 1990

I forgot that. Thanks for correcting me.

Krome
12-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the great help!

Will definitely try out The sands of time first, and probably also the 2008 reboot, Just love the graphic style of it!

Cheers!

Redboy
01-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I would rather go first with older to newer because of graphic improve...

if you start with latest then go oldest YOU will feel bad with outdated graphics...

order this

POP SOT - 2003
POP WW - 2004
POP TTT - 2005
POP - 2008
POP TFS - 2010

Grock65
12-20-2012, 01:03 PM
tbh i loved them all like part one the best but i enjoyed all 5 of them loved part sot because the platforming for its time was exelent 2nd one i liked simply because the combat was enjoyable part 2 was also a alot drker of a game at that.

Count_D
01-30-2013, 10:02 AM
The series was revived with PoP:The Sands of Time. The series is actually much older than that, but I'll assume that you're only interested in the newer entries.

The Sands of Time was the first one, and is very highly praised by just about everyone, ever. It really is an amazing game, and you should try it.

Warrior Within is the sequel to Sands of Time, and continues the story. Everyone loved Sands of Time, but it had a problem: no one bought it. To solve the sales problem, Ubisoft went all out by making the game appeal to the lowest common denominator. It does away completely with the good atmosphere of the first game, and leaves you with an entirely detestable Prince. The music is replaced with rock of the really bad variety. The Prince's hair magically goes from brown to black. The combat is "improved" by adding a long list of attacks that you will never memorize and that all have silly names. The gore was cranked up to ten. It might still be worth playing, since the platforming is still as good except for some annoying and confusing backtracking, but it's generally agreed that it's the weakest in the trilogy. It added one good thing to the series, basically, which is the ability to throw enemies.

The Two Thrones is the final game in the Sands of Time trilogy. It was intended to be the perfect mix of Sands of Time's atmosphere and characters and Warrior Within's combat, but to be honest, it's far more similar to Warrior Within in all of those aspects. It does away with some of the things plaguing Warrior Within, though, and is much more bearable. In the end it's a solid game that is worth playing, but it doesn't quite reach the level of Sands of Time. After Warrior Within's influence on the atmosphere and characters, they simply aren't very appealing. The platforming is still good, and the ending is really good if you have played Sands of Time.

The Prince of Persia from 2008 is a reboot of the series that doesn't have anything to do with the previous games, just like Sands of Time was a reboot of the series before that. The story is standalone and the game has nothing to do with the previous trilogy. It's a really beautiful game, but that's sadly where my praise ends. Some like it, but it's widely considered a disappointment to some degree. Try it out if you want to, though my recommendation is to ignore it.

Forgotten Sands is the most recent game. It was released because of the PoP movie that had just come out, and is supposed to fit in between Sands of Time and Warrior Within in the old trilogy, presumably because Ubisoft realized that everyone loved the old Prince and that everyone hated the new Prince. I haven't played it, though the common opinion seems to be that it's not that good.

So, short list of release order and my score:

Sands of Time trilogy:
Sands of Time - 10/10
Warrior Within - 5/10
The Two Thrones - 8/10

New reboot:
PoP 2008 - 4/10

Game four of the Sands of Time trilogy:
Forgotten Sands - ?/10

Also, The Sands of Time contains the very first PoP as an unlockable, if you're interested in playing it. At least I think the Steam version does; I haven't verified it.

I beg to disagree. While Sands of Time has a nice story, good atmosphere and fantastic OST, the combat system is simply horrible, with the need to finish off every single enemy with the dagger being tedious to no end. Plus, [spoiler alert! spoiler alert! You've been warned] Fara's betrayal was... weird and final boss was nothing to write home about. Plus, visions spoiling most of the game is stupid.

Warrior Within improved upon every single aspect of Sands of Time gameplay-wise - the combat is much more complex and interesting, the enemies are more diverse, there is no need to finish off the mothereffers with a dagger and the platforming is more interesting too. Plus, it's nice to see areas in different times. As for the music, the first game had some rock in it too, so it's not like WW brought it into the series. The story and atmosphere, while very different from the first game, are still actually very nice. All the time-travelling mumbo-jumbo and fighting fate actually reminds me of the best videogame series ever - Legacy of Kain.

TheOnlyTrueZak
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
The combat is "improved" by adding a long list of attacks that you will never memorize.

What a ridiculous complaint.

NikSha
02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
What a ridiculous complaint.

It isn't. All this pointless combat move list crap similar to DMC is made for nerds who have nothing better to do than memorize pointless moves that work similar to first move you unlock.

Also, Warrior Within sucked. It was Americanized to the max.

Overall the series died because UBI wanted to make Assassins Creed a replacement for POP. AC is more westernized and westerns buy it in gallons cause of that compared to POP brand.

Count_D
03-15-2013, 04:46 PM
It isn't. All this pointless combat move list crap similar to DMC is made for nerds who have nothing better to do than memorize pointless moves that work similar to first move you unlock.

Also, Warrior Within sucked. It was Americanized to the max.

Overall the series died because UBI wanted to make Assassins Creed a replacement for POP. AC is more westernized and westerns buy it in gallons cause of that compared to POP brand.

Yeah, only they don't work similar, they actually work differently. If you played the game, you'd know.

NikSha
03-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Yeah, only they don't work similar, they actually work differently. If you played the game, you'd know.

Derp.

Neuenc
03-20-2013, 07:24 PM

This is horrible advice. PoP 2008 is NOT 'widely considered a disappointment to some degree.' The open world is enjoyable and presented in a unique fashion, the combat isn't tedious, the puzzle solving/platforming is fantastic, and the music is actually very good. That said, I would not play this first; it might ruin your experience/enjoyment with the earlier games if you haven't played them in the past. That's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm playing through Sands of Time right now for the 3rd time--1st time on PC--and it is a good game, but I do not hold it in such high regard.