PDA

View Full Version : CS Source is Unstable at times and freezes

hyeedo
12-30-2010, 01:26 AM
The problem is that I might be playing fine for an hour then all of a sudden the screen just freezes on the picture. I press ctrl alt delete, and un-minimize the game and it works fine for 30 more seconds and the same thing happens. Or this problem may happen just 5 minutes into starting a fresh game.
I have played around with new and old drivers I have Win 7. I have played Battlefield Bad Company 2 with absolutely no problems for hours, the same with Sniper Ghost Warrior.
However, with Call of duty Black Ops, I experience my entire computer power just shutting off after about 20 minutes of gameplay. If i turn it on right after the same thing happens. Other,days it might work fine for over 30 minutes. After all I beat the entire game in a few days.

I was thinking it could be something like a memory voltage or power supply overheating. But then on some cs source maps the default map and player skins become a weird blur or the entire map changes color and theres weird pictures instead of walls.
Please any help? I may have been a bit confusing =(
My computer specs are
AMD athlon II X3
Biostar 870+
2GB Patriot DDR3
EVGA GTS 250 512mb
Power Supply is Thermal take Tr-2 500 watt

PseudoKnight
12-30-2010, 01:57 AM
I would have thought it was a video card overheating, but BFBC2 is far more graphically intensive. Hm.. You mention that you never messed around with drivers; does that mean you haven't updated your video drivers in some time? You could try that.

Also, some people's files in the CS folders have been getting corrupted somehow, and though I never heard of these exact symptoms, deleting that folder (and letting it recreate them) might help.

Your specs look fine, barring some hardware failure. (though I expect some people will tell you to upgrade your memory to 4GB, which is fine, but not the problem) I have no reason to believe this is the case, but you could run a memtest to see if there's any problems with your memory. If you've been getting any blue screens at all lately, that's a possibility. You could also do a scandisk of your hard drive. It could be some sectors failing. Sometimes when a hard drive tries to read those, it can cause the whole system to freeze for a bit. (in my case, like 30 seconds)

I'm reaching here, but it's nice to have something to fall back on should my first suggestions fail. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

hyeedo
12-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Thank you for the response
I updated the drivers, and tried the old ones too. The hard drive on the computer is somewhat 3 years old. It is the only part on the computer I didn't replace. So that raises some concern from me. I deleted the entire steam folder and reinstalled it. It had no luck
However, I installed a new windows xp and installed source to it, it worked fine temporarily for a while. However it started to give the same problem.

PseudoKnight
12-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Then it's unlikely it's a hard drive problem as the game would be installed to different sectors and you're not experiencing it on other parts of the hard drive.

Hold on, I reread your first post. I'm starting to think that CPU overheating may actually be the culprit. BC2 may just be so GPU limited that your CPU stays cool enough. The graphical anomalies may have thrown me off. I almost mentioned this in the previous post, but if you could install AMD Overdrive or Speedfan to monitor you CPU temperature as you're playing, you could determine whether your CPU is going too high. You'd only need to play for a few minutes before alt-tabbing to look at the temperatures. Then post those here. Or you could run a CPU benchmark like Prime95 to ramp up your temperature pretty fast. If it starts going over 60-65 degrees celcius, turn off the benchmark.

I have an Athlon II X3 myself and it could get pretty hot with the stock heatsink and voltages. (low 60s) I imagine it could be much worse with weaker case ventilation.

hyeedo
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I installed amd over drive and the core temps show up as 0
I installed Cpu Temp and under Tj. Max it shows 70 C, Under cpu# 0 it shows 0 C and same for low and high readings.
I should add that when i first installed my cpu i enabled the 4th core in the bios by pressing f4, I later disabled it, could this have changed any settings?

hyeedo
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I went into the bios and disabled/enabled 2 options one of which was disable bios unlocking and something else under cpu.
I came back in and played cs source for a few and the cpu temperature now shows wont go above 57 degrees C
Ill play some more and see if it crashes.

PseudoKnight
12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Ya, unlocking the fourth core breaks compatibility with AMD Overdrive's temp reading. It also increases temperatures. However, I'm unsure if disabling the core again brings back temp reading. Though, Speedfan, at least for me, seemed to read cpu temps fine either way. (Though sometimes the labels are confusing, so you have to run a benchmark and see which gauge rises rapidly -- that's the cpu)

I'd say run Prime95 for temp tests.

hyeedo
12-31-2010, 02:44 AM
Ok so I was playing cs source again and after a while the frame just froze and I realized that the online radio playing in the background did not freeze. However I could not ctl alt dlt, or exit the frozen cs source frame in any way.
So i restarted the computer I checked the cpu temp and it was in the 50s, I turned on cs source and the same thing happened just hardly 2 minutes into the game.

kingshaun2k
12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Its your graphics card overheating because i used to get this problem when i played call of duty mw2 had my old pc

hyeedo
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
How can I make it not overheat? =(
cant you make it lower performance

hyeedo
12-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Other times I am able to ctrl alt del when the screen freezes and the gpu temperature is in the upper 40's

PseudoKnight
01-01-2011, 07:38 AM
GPUs can tolerate higher temperatures than CPUs, even up to 100 for some. 40s is nothing.

Here's some things you can do to reduce CPU overheating, assuming your CPU is going past 60-65. If it doesn't reach 60 (or much past it) during a Prime95 benchmark, this probably isn't your problem. Do NOT do these tests with your fourth core enabled. If it's broken, that could cause problems and interfere with getting to the root of this problem.

- If the system is dusty, blow out the dust.

- Make sure air is being optimally pushed through the case. Secure interfering cables to the side. Make sure fans are all going in the right direction, so that air is being pulled in one side and pushed out the other.

- You can go into your motherboard bios and turn down the voltage for your CPU. Athlon II X3s default to a high 1.425 voltage. Try bringing this down. Too low and your computer will become unstable. I found mine works at 1.387 flawlessly. This will bring down your temperature only a little, but if combined with the first two suggestions, may be enough to avoid having to buy and install a new heatsink.

- If you're using the stock heatsink/fan, you could get a better heatsink/fan. This requires the most amount of work, but the biggest payoff. I recently installed the relatively cheap Hyper 212 for $26, and it brought my temps down by about 17 degrees. (around 60 down to around 43 during heavy load, even after unlocking the fourth core)

- Leave the fourth core disabled. A fourth core will not get you more FPS in CS:S, though it may help in a few other games. I wouldn't recommend leaving it on with any sort of stability or temperature issues.

hyeedo
01-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Its winter I doubt airflow is a problem considering half the time my case is off the computer
So I was playing and all of a sudden i started getting rainbow colored min sprinkles all over the screen
I checked the cables turned off cs source, the desktop colors were all scared up too. I checked temperatures were fine for cpu and gpu.
Then,
I lowered the voltage to 1.4V(the lowest increment I could lower to) the computer would not show anything on the screen so i reset the cmos using the pins.
I just turned it on again it seems to be fine, im going to play source for a bit see what happens

hyeedo
01-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Can aol radio playing on firefox interfere?

PseudoKnight
01-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Of course. That doesn't cause graphical artifacts, though.

BTW, taking the side off your case doesn't necessarily improve air flow, unless your case design is poor and/or you have a fan blowing into the side. It's about bringing cold air in and pushing the hot air out. But if you're not getting high temps during Prime95 tests, this isn't your issue anyway.

Something's wrong and speculation isn't getting us anywhere. I think I already covered all the low-hanging fruit. I'd probably need to get my hands on it. Maybe we're seeing two issues at the same time or we're seeing a rare symptom caused by a problem with the motherboard or power supply. Maybe the video card isn't seated properly. Maybe the monitor is the culprit for the graphical artifacts and the shut down during CoD was overheating. Maybe some combination of the things I mentioned. I just don't know.

You may need to get someone who can help you locally or use remote desktop.

hyeedo
01-10-2011, 02:08 AM
I Just played the game for a good half hour and it was fine cept for a few minor stutters
I dont know what I changed but it seems to not crash so instantly.
I think it had to do with my memory voltages because by the motherboard default voltages my computer wont even run.
So I lowered the voltages .1v instead of .05 disabled the 4th core and updated the bios seems stable cept for minor hiccups.
I doubt I can take my computer to a technican, ive been making computers for past 6 years.
The last time I took it to a internet gaming cafe the guy charged me $110 and didn't even fix the problem he just changed the hard drive cables and organized the cables. Those guys are horrible for specific problems.