PDA

View Full Version : Inexplicable graphics problems

googoogjoob42
12-30-2010, 02:25 AM
So, like. I really like The Ball. It's a pretty awesome game. I like the trippy quasi-Aztec atmosphere and I like big physics puzzles. But- every time I start playing the game, after maybe 10-20 minutes of playing, suddenly objects and parts of the environment (including the Ball itself) start flashing in and out of visibility (though they still exist). This makes the game more or less impossible to play. Restarting the game makes everything go back to normal, but this is problematic when the game only saves at checkpoints, and I might be losing quite a bit of progress by restarting the game.

I have no idea what the problem is; I meet the minimum system requirements for the game (2.4GHz quad core, 2GB system memory, GeForce 8600), and I've set all the options in the settings menu to the lowest possible, and turned off dynamic lighting and shadows, ambient occlusion, etc.

So: what is the problem, is it something wrong with the game, my setup, or something else, and how can I fix it?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Hourences
12-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Never heard of this one before. Can you get me your log file? In My Documents\My Games\The Ball\UDKGame\Logs\Launch.log. Feel free to email it if its too big to paste here - sjoerd@teotlstudios.com

No overheating problem? How old are your 3D card drivers? They shouldn't be older than sometime Summer 2010.

googoogjoob42
12-30-2010, 12:46 PM
http://pastebin.com/AktY6QxB

Pasted the whole log file here since it was just easiest hope that's okay.

No overheating problems as far as I know, and I'm not sure about the drivers.

Hourences
12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
If I am right you appear to use a driver from 2007? I could be wrong, but you should check it up. It is the most likely reason why it fails.

Mattrb83
12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Game will run well for a few minutes until the game starts acting funny. Some objects will flicker and the game starts to freeze( screen will go black and game will recover, well most of the time lol). i also actually had a BSOD. I can run my other hundred games well:cool:

googoogjoob42
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
If I am right you appear to use a driver from 2007? I could be wrong, but you should check it up. It is the most likely reason why it fails.

Welp. I'll check that out then. Thanks for the help.

googoogjoob42
12-30-2010, 05:44 PM
So I installed a new driver and the Ball worked perfectly; I played it to completion. It was pretty awesome.

Only now every time I exit a fullscreen game, my desktop resolution is automatically set to 800x600.

Also, I can't roll back the driver to the previous, working version.

EDIT: And now it arbitrarily decides to work I don't even know.