PDA

View Full Version : Stupid regional lock

cybertario
01-01-2011, 06:57 AM
I really don't understand this regional crap.

I put this game in the wish list since it was announced. I was waiting to got it since the release (still locked), but yesterday a saw it in Wall Mart at U$S 30 retail (+/- given the exchange), so i came to Steam to see the actual price... yeah, they have this unbreakable proxy wall that prevent any... ok, I use TOR... (http://www.torproject.org/) and it its $ 29,99 ($22,49 at sale).

Now, this is another game Steam wont get any money from me just for the stupid desition of a suit in an office at (SEGA?), who thinks selling this game in my country encourage piracy...
Because the only reason i hear so far for regional locks is piracy... HELLO??? We have access to TPB here!!!! (i can't wait for the movie ;) ), what, not selling legal original games stop pirates from pirating? or just prevent legal users like me to get the game we want, legally...? Who wins? Me, I have to wait nearly 1 year to got the game legally, or pirates, who have it in TPB, a month after the release...?
Surely not Steam, at least by 1 copy so far Wall Mart have the advantage here... (maybe the wall mart edition is super duper protected againt piracy? ;))

I known Steam have nothing to do with this, but maybe now they can ask why the regional lock is keep just for them to sell...

:):)

silvertemplar
01-01-2011, 08:18 AM
I think this IS a steam issue, since i noticed you can buy this game on all the other -international- etailers. I bought it from IGN / Direct2Drive earlier this year and they are even more region-restrictive normally . Anyway, go to Gamersgate or Direct2Drive they will have it and it will be cheaper than $30 .

The same applies to any Rockstar/GTA game. I for the love of me can't fathom why you can't buy GTA [of all freaking games] on Steam if you're not in the USA . But whatever, Steam is fortunately not the only online digital company out there.

cybertario
01-01-2011, 09:05 AM
The same applies to any Rockstar/GTA game. I for the love of me can't fathom why you can't buy GTA [of all freaking games] on Steam if you're not in the USA . But whatever, Steam is fortunately not the only online digital company out there.

OMFG i only mention AP because this is the relate forum, but I totally agreed with you. I hate Rockstar every sale Steam do, i have no game from them from Steam but a realy would like to buy most of them!!! WTF, how can they have such a good devs team and so ugy sales desitions, come on, if they unlock their games i probably buy the hole pack!!! :mad::mad::mad:

XDragon350
01-01-2011, 05:59 PM
You bring up some good points, cybertario. It's ironic that restricting sale actually encourages piracy. There must be some other angle, because I can't believe that big corporate types don't understand the basics of economics. But then again, there is still that half-baked war on drugs.