PDA

View Full Version : BF2 key binding issue

Headcrab_Zer0
01-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm having a problem setting up my keybinds in BF2.

I want to bind forward to the right mouse button and back to the X button. However, if I try to bind one of these in the game options, the other bind unbinds itself automatically without any intervention from me.

More info here:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-2/1382647-key-binding-issues-bf2.html

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

Digital_Beating
01-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm having a problem setting up my keybinds in BF2.

I want to bind forward to the right mouse button and back to the X button. However, if I try to bind one of these in the game options, the other bind unbinds itself automatically without any intervention from me.

More info here:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-2/1382647-key-binding-issues-bf2.html

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

Bahahaha, you encountered the same problem as I did since we both do not use the ♥♥♥♥ty default controls. The only way to solve this nasty problem is to use Autohotkey and bind the Forward and Back keys onto a button on the mouse that is not being used.

Example, bind the Back key to Mouse 5 (Mouse 5 is considered to be the 2nd thumb button on mouses) in the game menu and then create a script with Autohotkey in a text file and rename extension into *.ahk. In this script input:

x::XButton2

This will map and tell Autohotkey that you want the 'X' button to execute Mouse5 when you press it. You don't have to use XButton2 on the mouse, you can use any free button on the mouse. I just suggest XButton2 because most people will not be using it. If you do not have extra buttons on the mouse this method will NOT WORK. Both the Forwards key and Back key must be bound on the mouse in order for this to work. The XButton1, XButton2, XButton3, etc... is the extra mouse thumb or buttons that Autohotkey refers to them as.

But like I said, the limitation of this is that you MUST bind both Forward & Back keys on the same device in this case the mouse and you also MUST have a free button on the mouse to bind this to. Otherwise it will not work because it needs the X/Y-Axis to be on the same device. So I am going to guess you are going to use 'Z' & 'C' key for left and right strafe, those also must both be on keyboard. I know, stupid right? It's a old DICE design problem, AFAIK that's the way DICE designed the system from wading through a ♥♥♥♥ ton of info on Google. At least that's what one of the supposed DICE programmers or Tech Support guys respond to it as, pretty much a design limitation.

Headcrab_Zer0
01-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Link for Autohotkey?

Guess ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ EA programming strikes again. Why does that not surprise me?

Digital_Beating
01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.autohotkey.com/

It's not EA programming, it was the limitation of whatever the hell DICE was using, their old ♥♥♥ engine.

Headcrab_Zer0
01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks. Is there a way to have the script only be active when I'm playing BF2?

Digital_Beating
01-02-2011, 12:19 AM
You have to add lines in the script to suspend or stop the script from running. But from inside the game I can't guarantee you that you will be able to toggle it on and off.

Here's an example it binds F1 and F2 keys to turn off and then turn on.

F1::
Suspend, off
Pause, off
return

F2::
Suspend, on
Pause, on
return

If you want to learn more or need more help go to the Autohotkey forums. Autohotkey requires a little bit of programming knowledge in order for you to program more advanced scripts. My suggestion is to just right-click and exit the program when you're done using it after you quit BF2. The icon will be on the lower right of your screen, it's a green and white 'H' just right-click on the icon and exit. Much easier to just quit the script after you're done using it. But if you want toggle you will have to try the above script or find a more advanced script.