PDA

View Full Version : If you're thinking about buying this, think again.

wayzey
01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not trying to discourage people from buying this game but rather informing people that this game was made by Ubisoft and that means it has DRM and for people who live in Australia, the DRM is not working properly so very few Australians can currently play this game.

It's only fair that consumers know what they're paying for so take this into consideration before you click purchase. Any Ubsisoft game has DRM which means that to play any Ubisoft game legally you must have a stable internet connection whenever you wish to play the game.

$25 is not a lot of money but you must remember that by purchasing this game you are supporting DRM and fueling Ubisoft in it's rein to control the video game market. Ubisoft claims that their DRM is uncrackable but it's a blatant lie. If you want this game you can easily download it via torrents or rapidshare and you won't have any DRM woes.

I won't be downloading the game illegally nor am I endorsing it but if you want to stop DRM the best protest is to stop buying Ubisoft games. Big corporations only care about one thing and that is profit. Only when they start losing a considerable amount of profit will they remove DRM from their games.

Don't buy this game unless you endorse DRM.

TheInsaneDump
01-01-2011, 06:44 PM
You're a bit late to the party. Ubisoft has cut back on its DRM so you only need an internet connection when you first start the game.

Linkage (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/constant-net-connection-no-longer-required-for-ubisoft-games/).

wayzey
01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
You're a bit late to the party. Ubisoft has cut back on its DRM so you only need an internet connection when you first start the game.

Linkage (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/constant-net-connection-no-longer-required-for-ubisoft-games/).

That's still DRM and that's still incredibly stupid.
The game's already been cracked so why the hell would Ubisoft discourage consumers from obtaining the game legally with DRM?

If I bought this I'd only really play it at LANs and such but it's too much of a hassle to get everyone connected to the internet for LANs let alone convince 5 or 6 people to spend $25 each to try out a new game. I'd much rather pirate it, save $25 and be able to play the game without the restrictions of buying it legally. I've decided not to get the game at all though and just play Civ 4 and 90's RTS games at LANs so oh well.

TheInsaneDump
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
It's exactly like that for Company of Heroes and that remains insanely popular.

Lemming Jesus
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
It's exactly like that for Company of Heroes and that remains insanely popular.

Drunk driving and unprotected sex are also popular. Your point is?

TheInsaneDump
01-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Drunk driving and unprotected sex are also popular. Your point is?

Quite simple actually. Company of Heroes uses the same DRM avenues that Ubisoft receives so much flak for. When the Opposing Fronts expansion was released, players were required to have an internet connection on at all times to play both multiplayer and singleplayer, yet all hate was directed at Ubisoft for their "draconian" DRM.

After CoH's second expansion Tales of Valor rolled around, it was downgraded to what Ubisoft now uses, yet Ubisoft continues to receive flak despite the changes. Despite the very same DRM, CoH remains as popular as it was even though it uses the same exact service. My point being, if people wish to be fair in their criticisms, the hate should be thrown equally at every developer.

Evilnod999
01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I think you miss a point.. basicly if company goes byebye, so does your game. since every time you start the game it require connect to server. when company goes down, the last thing they will do is spend any $$$ put out a no server patch. when it happen you pretty much SOL. this also why when i buy my old childhood game i always goto Good old game first as they take out all DRM from the game they sale.

if you think company big enough and never would goes down, think again.. sierra online, origin, access, infocom they all AAA title company like blizzard of today. and they all goes down fast and hard (well.. sierra is a bit different story, sad story indeed)

i'm not too sure what those new game company thinking.. unlike xbox or PS3 there hardly any resale market for PC game. unless you are collector of some kind, you would never spend over 5$ on ebay for box set instead of digital copy from steam or gog.

instead of spend 25$ now, with DRM i will wait until maybe next year when they onsale for 5 bucks. cuz thats all i welling to pay with DRM games. (and yes.. i did just spend 5$ on EA CnC4 yesterday :P )

HeavilyLactate
01-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I'll check the Steam forums from now on before I buy another Ubisoft game. If I bother to buy from Ubisoft ever again, that is.

Oh well, ♥♥♥♥ happens I guess. I'm off to go find a torrent for Settlers 7 SO I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY A WORKING VERSION.