geronimo789
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi guys,

Still debating on wether I should buy it, but AFAIK there's only these packs:

- season one: 14
- season two: 14
- season three (devil's playground): 16,50
- 'complete' pack: 30 (one & two)
- telltale holliday pack (2+3+ poker night-puzzle agent)

I'm at a total loss wich ones to buy...
(also, Mac user, but i genuinely don't care wether they are available or not)

So, the questions:
1) How connected are the seasons/episodes (read: do I need season two for season three, and one for two or are they completely separate) ?
2) Any recommendations on what seasons to buy ?
3) How long does a season last approximately ?

SmileyBarry
01-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I tried the free fourth episode from season one and liked it, but felt lost at times. (The game wasn't too fun and I had to use a walkthrough now and then ,because the game didn't have any clues and I had no idea what to do next. And I'm usually great at puzzle and adventure games.) People said it was the highlight of season one, so I'm not sure you should get it. Also, note: the first season is not available for Mac and there are no plans to port it. :(

Now, to answer the questions you actually asked:

Generally, you can just start with season three like I did. With every new character you meet, you get a short list with the character's highlights, and the characters sometimes reminisce on their past. You can understand it perfectly without needing to play the previous seasons. However, I've heard the characters in that season carry over from season two. I don't think you need season two, but it's your call. :) Note that episodes are not interconnected in seasons one & two, but are connected in season three. (Which is why you have to buy the whole season and can't buy separate episodes.)
I started with season three and it is by far the best adventure game I've played so far, and one of my favourite games ever. The story is funny, clever and well-written, the voice-acting and characters are funny and generally great, the plot is very interesting, the puzzles are very good and the graphics are superb. Plus, season three lets you ask Max for a hint, so if you ever get lost, you don't need a guide. :) (And I never did throughout the season.) From what I've heard, season three is the best, followed by two and then one.
A season is five episodes (six for season one), and they generally last 2-3 hours each, with the exception of season three's finale which was surprisingly short.

If you're going for all seasons, I suggest buying the first season's complete pack and the Telltale Holiday Pack. It's the best price and the included Poker Night and Puzzle Agent are also fun. :)

I'm actually going to get season two now. (I'm sad that there's no cheaper, holiday pack with all Sam & Max games. At least we should've gotten the current complete pack as a daily deal. :()

P.S.: Sorry for the wall of text! :-/

geronimo789
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
P.S.: Sorry for the wall of text! :-/

But that's precisely what I asked for :) Have some rep.
I'm downloading 104 atm, going to judge by that wether or not to buy Devil's playground. I'll probably leave the first episodes out of it then.

SmileyBarry
01-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Okay, good thinking. But note season three is so much better, so even if 104 is too hard and not that interesting, if you like the genre, laugh at the jokes in 104 and start to like Sam and Max, you should get The Devil's Playhouse. :)

geronimo789
01-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh well, it's a pretty awesome game, i'll give you that, but the price is a bit steep atm :(

Besides, I have a whole catalogue of unfinished games to complete ...

SmileyBarry
01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh, then don't worry. The Devil's Playhouse will be on sale for $10 some time soon. It was up for $10 as a daily deal a few days ago, and a month or so before that (when I got it). :)

Tanooki Mike
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Buy them all.

You won't regret it. =|