PDA

View Full Version : How to improve rotation speed on tank mounted machine gun?

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I like to ride as the second player in a tank on BC2-VN. Great fun to shoot down choppers and take out infantry! :) But, I would like to be able to rotate the gun faster than I can with my current mouse (Logitech MX500). Do I increase or decrease mouse sensitivity for faster rotation? Would I be better off with a gaming mouse like the Logitech 518 with variable sensitivity via a quick mouse click? Is there a better gaming mouse?

Mouldaiselne
01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I think I might be able to help.

I searched around a little bit, although I have never felt the need to do this.

I see in C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\My Documents\BFBC2\input that there is a file named land.dbx

If you open it in notepad, you should be able to find sections called-type="GameSharedResources.MouseInputActionData">

If you look at that section, there is a part that says
<field name="ScaleValue">1</field>

I would imagine that changing this value to 3 would triple the sensitivty in land based vehicles, so you could try playing around with that.

I have not done this, or verified that this works. Copy the edited file to your desktop first. That way, if anything bad happens, you won't have any difficulty switching back the files to fix it.

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Hmmm. I have a Windows 7 64 bit OS. I checked and was not able to find an input file in the BFBC2 folder. Perhaps it sets up different in Win 7 than XP? (I'm assuming you have XP since I haven't seen a "documents and settings" folder since XP days). Thanks for looking and trying to help me!

Best

Add In: I searched for land.dbx on the hard drive and it was not found.

_Dariuszek_
01-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I recommend you Sidewinder x8, 4000 dpi.

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Tell me more, I've only used basic mice during gaming... Can the Sidewinder be adjusted on the fly? Can I have presets, one for basic firearms, one for sniping, and one for 50 cal machine gun on tank? Thanks!

Digital_Beating
01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Rotation will be difficult on default controls. You either have to mess with the Air.dbx or Land.dbx files located in

C:\Users\[Computer Name]\Documents\BFBC2\input

to adjust the speeds for choppers and ground vehicles. I don't like messing with them because you have to log in and out of game each time to test if you like the speeds. The better solution is just to get a mouse that has on-the-fly adjustable DPI. This solves the problem faster of beating around the bush trying to fix the sensitivity through the files. But if you want to mess around more with it then read this guide (don't blame me if you jack up your sensitivity, do a backup first):

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446923.page

But if you want a new mouse continue reading. It will solve the problem much faster and leave no room for error or require testing procedures to load and reload the game to test.

You'd want something with high adjustable DPI like 1600-5,600 DPI. That should be enough for you. Many like Logitech mouses, I'm a Razer kind of guy because ergonomics of DeathAdder and Mamba is just superior to Logitech's offerings, but you might like Logitech better.

Learn what you play with first though, because the mouse you buy you might not like its design. Consult this guide:

http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/html/palmgrip.php

Try looking into MX-518 (many other's claim this mouse to be godly), G-500, G700, or G9/G9X Logitech. For Logitech, I'd say go with the G-500 mouse because it has on-the-fly adjustable controls. I tried out the G9X, didn't like its design and felt very clunky in the hand. I tried my friend's MX-518, didn't like it either. It just didn't feel right in the hand. MX-518 has no on-the-fly buttons like the G-500 but if you can live with the DPI settings then you can give it a try. The G700 is like a more expensive G500 re-designed with wireless kind of like the Mamba.

For Razer look into the Diamondback, Copperhead, DeathAdder, or Mamba. Diamondback & Copperhead is for Claw type. I'm more of a Palm person but I can do Claw because I started with an original Diamondback. I can't do Fingertip, it's just too weird for me. Lachesis is combination hybrid of Claw+Palm, I just couldn't do it so I'd recommend to stay away from Lachesis. For Diamondback & Copperhead you can adjust the DPI through the butons on the right side of mouse if your right-handed and left if your left-handed. Just be aware that you may at times press these extra buttons if you've never used them before so it takes some time getting used to it. But these mouses are good if you're a lefty because they're ambidextrous. The DeathAdder and Mamba fits like a glove in the hand if you're a Palm player. DeathAdder has no on-the-fly buttons so you might not like it. The Mamba has the same shape as the DeathAdder but it has wireless and higher DPI kind of like G500 and G700. But the Mamba does have on-the-fly buttons to adjust DPI. So basically a higher end more expensive version of the DeathAdder with wireless and on-the-fly buttons. As for other Razer mouses, I have no experience with them so you're on your own reading the specs and figuring out if they're Palm/Claw/Fingertip types of mouses.

The prices of some of these mouses might drive you away though, especially the G700 or Mamba.

lilbabycat
01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
G5 adjustable sensitivity. And i bought a left handed Deathadder, its a newer model, long story short... it was a piece of ♥♥♥♥, the software for it is buggy, their version of the adjustable sensitivity is buggy and requires you to bind it to a button (and even then, it only goes one direction, so if you want to have an UP/DOWN you have to bind TWO buttons).

As well, the click mechanism was trash, frequently didn't respond/register me clicking..

So i'm back to my G5, which is shaped incorrectly to my hand (as I said, lefty), so slight hand pain for a much better performance.

Maybe the lefty one is manufactured cheaper ( It ♥♥♥♥ing cost $20 more than righty) or maybe I got a defective one... i dunno.

neuromancer
01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I've tried 400 up to 2500 DPI in the turrets and it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. The turrent turn speeds appear to be locked, likely to ensure they are balanced. Being able to jack up the turn speed on them would make them OP (they're badass enough as is).

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Excellent reply Digital_Beating! (+ rep) Lots to think about. I've always liked Logitech and gravitate toward their products. The Mouseguide wepage was very interesting. I'm not sure if I'm a palm or claw user... I'm probably a claw since I wear extra large gloves due to a wide and long palm but average finger length. My palm does not rest easily on most mice but I think I would a larger mouse that allowed a palm rest. Geez, better check locally... Thanks again for the very helpful info!

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I've tried 400 up to 2500 DPI in the turrets and it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. The turrent turn speeds appear to be locked, likely to ensure they are balanced. Being able to jack up the turn speed on them would make them OP (they're badass enough as is).

Good point, altering turret speed would be grossly unfair in a tank battle. But I'm talking about the machine gun on top of the turret. Let's say we have a chopper attacking from the North. I get right on him, hes smoking and passes overhead. I need to wheel the gun around quickly 180 degrees to get back on him... Would adjusting mouse sensitivity impact my speed in rotating the gun? Or is the 8"x8" game pad the problem? I have to sweep the mouse 4 times to rotate the gun 180 degrees which is too slow... A larger pad may help but I don't have much more room (max 10"x 14").

thanks!

neuromancer
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the machine gun turn speed is locked as well, likely for the same reason.

I'm a fairly competent chopper pilot and I can assure you that the tanks are enough of a menace as is. I will rarely engage a tank if it's gunner is already firing at me and I will never engage a tank if there are more than 1 within range of me.

Let's say we have a chopper attacking from the North. I get right on him, hes smoking and passes overhead. I need to wheel the gun around quickly 180 degrees to get back on him...

This right here is the saving grace versus tanks. With the Warhead Damage spec and a decent gunner the attack chopper is still going take 2 passes at absolute minimum to kill a tank. If it was able to track me as fast as I pass over it, the chopper would have no chance versus a tank with a decent gunner.

Being able to pass over the tank to drop the gunners' tracking then drop behind a building or terrain has saved me from fiery death many times.

bboy_yoga2
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Bind the arrow keys to turret movements.

andrzej_91
01-02-2011, 03:30 PM
http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm nuff said

_Dariuszek_
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Tell me more, I've only used basic mice during gaming... Can the Sidewinder be adjusted on the fly? Can I have presets, one for basic firearms, one for sniping, and one for 50 cal machine gun on tank? Thanks!

Yes you can change DPI on the fly, also you can set the dpi for each button in a external program, for example first one 1800 dpi, second 2500, third 4000 dpi.

I prepared for you picture of my setup.

http://i56.tinypic.com/10oplxd.jpg

bboy_yoga2
01-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Is this thing Autobot or Decepticon?

andrzej_91
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Is this thing Autobot or Decepticon?
R.A.Ticepticon 9000

velsoft
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Vehicles and Stationary turrets have Negative Acceleration by default

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Hmmm, there are threads that detail how to modify negative acceleration in BFBC2 from this spring. Search on Google. Not sure if they even still work in BFBC2 or BFBC2-VN... Don't think I will try it...

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Bind the arrow keys to turret movements.

Hmmm, that's a possibility but I've been controlling a tank turret (in BF games) with a mouse for over 5 years... To ingrained to change now...

The_Gump
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
You are probably experiencing "negative acceleration"...

Thanks to consoles the controls in BC2 are not perfect, the game/win7 thinks your making a "mistake" in moving your mouse fast and decides to "smooth" out your control inputs for you... thus slowing your turning rate when you move the mouse very fast...

Check here for a fan made config editor...

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1009847-em-clan-certified-bc2-configurator-best.html

And have a look here for Win7 gaming tweaks...

- Windows 7 Mouse Fix : http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1846538
- Windows 7 Media Throttling Fix : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043281
- Windows 7 "Receive Window Auto-Tuning" Fix : http://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/display/InfoSysWireless/Windows+7+and+Vista+Window+Auto-tuning+Feature+Might+Cause+Network+Timeout+Problem s

Ive found this problem most annoying on the Vietnam PBR boats MG's... The faster I try to turn the guns the slower they actually spin... keeping a steady turn rate (eg mouse movement), turns them faster...

MyIdaho
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the links The_Gump (+1 rep). I'll check them out in more detail this week!

Methuselah969
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

You got it dude.

If you want the best look no further.

phobus
01-03-2011, 12:18 AM
*removed*

Escannihilator
01-03-2011, 04:29 AM
I use my 5th dpi setting for the turrett (5000 dpi) on the g500

evoleo24
01-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a logitech MX-518. And yes you can adjust DPI on the fly. It works wonders. I play at around 800 dpi when I'm not in in a vehicle but bump it up to 1800 when in a tank. The turret is much, much faster.

MyIdaho
01-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I have a logitech MX-518. And yes you can adjust DPI on the fly. It works wonders. I play at around 800 dpi when I'm not in in a vehicle but bump it up to 1800 when in a tank. The turret is much, much faster.

evoleo24,

Do you change the DPI after a quick tank exit (ie, ready to blow)? If not, does the higher DPI throw off your aim? How much faster is the turret? Could you time how long to traverse 180 degrees at 800 dpi and 1800 dpi? Thanks, interesting datapoint.

evoleo24
01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
evoleo24,

Do you change the DPI after a quick tank exit (ie, ready to blow)? If not, does the higher DPI throw off your aim? How much faster is the turret? Could you time how long to traverse 180 degrees at 800 dpi and 1800 dpi? Thanks, interesting datapoint.

I jump in the tank, hit the buttons up until it hits max. (There's no visual, but you can feel it). Then when I jump out I gotta bump it down some. It does throw of my aim at first because when I exit the tank, I move the mouse an inch my gun flys across the screen xD.

project 90
01-03-2011, 01:08 PM
i would just reccommend the logitech g500 got 5 settings that u can choose from 400 to 5700dpi.

had a shot of a razor mouse and felt like i was using the tray in a box of choclates very cheep and nasty

andrzej_91
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
You are probably experiencing "negative acceleration"...

Thanks to consoles the controls in BC2 are not perfect, the game/win7 thinks your making a "mistake" in moving your mouse fast and decides to "smooth" out your control inputs for you... thus slowing your turning rate when you move the mouse very fast...

Check here for a fan made config editor...

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1009847-em-clan-certified-bc2-configurator-best.html

And have a look here for Win7 gaming tweaks...

- Windows 7 Mouse Fix : http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1846538
- Windows 7 Media Throttling Fix : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043281
- Windows 7 "Receive Window Auto-Tuning" Fix : http://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/display/InfoSysWireless/Windows+7+and+Vista+Window+Auto-tuning+Feature+Might+Cause+Network+Timeout+Problem s

Ive found this problem most annoying on the Vietnam PBR boats MG's... The faster I try to turn the guns the slower they actually spin... keeping a steady turn rate (eg mouse movement), turns them faster...
thx man! help me out alot! and not only sensitivity, more grafx and other options too :D

MyIdaho
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Tell us more andrzej_91... What did you change and how did you assess the response? What was the effect of removing negative acceleration on time to rotate the turret 180 degrees? Same effect for the machine gun mounted on the tank? Did you evaluate response in BC2, BC2-VN or both?

Escannihilator
01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
i would just reccommend the logitech g500 got 5 settings that u can choose from 400 to 5700dpi.

i have the same one and it works great luv the extra buttons on it, previously had the g5

andrzej_91
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Tell us more andrzej_91... What did you change and how did you assess the response? What was the effect of removing negative acceleration on time to rotate the turret 180 degrees? Same effect for the machine gun mounted on the tank? Did you evaluate response in BC2, BC2-VN or both?
I spoke too soon, my bad, sorry. it doesn't take away the negative acceleration, the only difference is that u can change the speed of the turret.

MyIdaho
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I ran a quick test with my setup on an empty server. I have a logitech MX 500. Default DPI setting is at the halfway mark. I compared the time to rotate the turret or machine gun 180 degrees with the pointer setting at half DPI and full DPI. Results:

turret: half 5 to 6 sec
turret: full 4 sec

MG: half 4 to 5 sec
MG: full 3 to 4 sec

There is an advantage to increasing DPI but mouse handling is markedly different. IMO, it probably is easier to find a compromise DPI and use it full time rather than adjust. At least for this 56 yr old gamer... ;)