PDA

View Full Version : No light / to dark

ydoom
01-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Hey everyone,
I downloaded the Game yesterday and tried to play it.
But it was unplayable: After the short story sequence at the beginning, the tutorial started.
I couldn't see much - because the Level was totally dark. The lamps wasn't on :(
Even on the highest brightness settings I could only see a little bit of the level.
Can someone help me ?

ydoom

JoelFB
01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Sounds like something is wrong. Can you post your system specs? It could be a graphics card issue...

Also, you might simply need to re-download the whole game, sometimes the data files get corrupted during download so maybe that's the issue.

Edit: Good to hear. :)

ydoom
01-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey JoelFB - thank you for your quick answer.
I solved the problem on my own.
I made a mistake:
I play Trine on a MacBook Pro 15" 2010 with a GT 330M, but I use the tool gfxCardStatus to switch between the two graphic cards. The intel and the nVidia.
I was on the intel GPU and forgot to switch to the nVidia GPU.
That was the problem - only for people who have the same problem.

Thanks for the great game - it is so much fun to play it with my friends. Even on a Mac. We use a Keyboard and two Gamepads.
For people who try to get a xBox 360 Controller or a PS3 Controller work on a Mac:
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

kyoden
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm having the same problem. I'm on a 2011 13" macbook pro.

I can see the character model, but the environments are dark with some shadowy detail.

The new macbooks use an intel hd 3000 for graphics. I noticed that it says intel graphics aren't supported, but that all new-ish macs should work in the system requirements.

I've tried tinkering around with the settings, but nothing changes. Thoughts?

JoelFB
03-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Yeah unfortunately the new MacBook Pro 13" models only have the Intel graphics, and that's not enough to run the game properly. :( I will PM you and I'll try to get the requirements changed too, it's a shame Apple chose not to include a proper graphics card in the new 13" models. :(

nachogt
03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah unfortunately the new MacBook Pro 13" models only have the Intel graphics, and that's not enough to run the game properly. :( I will PM you and I'll try to get the requirements changed too, it's a shame Apple chose not to include a proper graphics card in the new 13" models. :(

I don't think that's the problem. Trine seems to run with no "darkness" problems in my 2011 Sandy Bridge MacBook 13" when using Boot Camp/Windows 7 and the graphics look beautiful, but it DOES have the "darkness" issue when running under MacOS/X in the same machine. I believe it's a problem either with the game itself or the OS/X drivers.

When running under Windows 7, Trine does have other problems (inconsistent framerate, which also happens with other Steam games like Half-Life 2), but not the "darkness" issue.

JoelFB
03-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Well that's quite interesting... We don't yet have the hardware so I can't test this myself. The darkness issue is related to the shaders, and they should act the same on Mac and Windows, but obviously it seems there's something strange going on then. Maybe we can figure it out eventually, but it's going to take lots of time (might even take until Trine 2 is released).

So regardless, at the moment the official word is that Trine doesn't work properly on the new 13" MacBook Pro.

I am interested to hear if more users manage to get the game working using Boot Camp though... The Intel HD graphics solutions (Windows) have been a little weird in the sense that I have seen some reports claiming that Trine works, but yet we get a much bigger amount of support requests for "not working" issues (which cannot be solved), and hence they are not officially supported. I'm not sure what's going on with that, and unfortunately we haven't had the time time to investigate the issue...

nachogt
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Well that's quite interesting... We don't yet have the hardware so I can't test this myself. The darkness issue is related to the shaders, and they should act the same on Mac and Windows, but obviously it seems there's something strange going on then. Maybe we can figure it out eventually, but it's going to take lots of time (might even take until Trine 2 is released).

So regardless, at the moment the official word is that Trine doesn't work properly on the new 13" MacBook Pro.

I am interested to hear if more users manage to get the game working using Boot Camp though... The Intel HD graphics solutions (Windows) have been a little weird in the sense that I have seen some reports claiming that Trine works, but yet we get a much bigger amount of support requests for "not working" issues (which cannot be solved), and hence they are not officially supported. I'm not sure what's going on with that, and unfortunately we haven't had the time time to investigate the issue...

If you want me to run some test, please just ask. It's been kind of a letdown to see it not working...

By the way, this is a Core i7 (dual core) processor, even though the graphics should be the same as in the i5.

Regarding Windows7/BootCamp, as I mentioned before it does work without any tweaks on my part. However something's not right because although the graphics render perfectly, the game plays like the processor was going on and off into turboboost periodically every half a second or so (thus affecting framerate). It's happens not only with Trine, but also with other games.

JoelFB
03-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the offer. We'll have to get our hands on the hardware and then find some time, but once we do and if there's something that could be tested, I'll be in touch.

Thanks for the Boot Camp clarification as well, sounds very strange but if it happens with other games too then I guess it's something in the architecture.

domdom22
04-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Hey, yeah i just got trine for my 2011 macbook pro 13 inch (intel) and i had the same darkness problem, when i looked at this thread i installed it again on bootcamp windows 7 and it works perfectly on basically the highest settings! Thanks for the great game!!

JoelFB
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Hums, thanks for reporting. Guess we should change our standard support reply to "Does not run on any Intel graphics chipset" to "Does not run on any Intel graphics chipset... but if you have BootCamp Windows 7 on your new MacBook Pro you can try that and with some luck it might work."

But I think I won't be comfortable suggesting this until I've seen it with my own eyes... I mean, it must be true, but... :)