PDA

View Full Version : Damn, this game is hard.

Mogan
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I've played tons of the Total War series, so when I was selecting difficulty in King Arthur I went with Normal, since it said, "for those who have played a lot of strategy games." Figured that was me. Apparently not, because I just got my first Chapter II objective/quest and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ if I'm not going to die before I can even go look at it.

Things were going smoothly enough, I was winning battles pretty convincingly, even when their overall army % was higher than mine ... but its the crazy number of armies my enemies are able to produce that's kicking my ♥♥♥. I'm at war with two factions (one was my fault, I ignored a quest from him not realizing it'd lead to war) and I used my largest army to kill off THREE of theirs' in one turn, and two turns later they've got THREE more headed for my boarders. I need 3 turns just to refill my ranks. My army guarding Camelot beat an army almost twice their size, only to have another one show up the next turn and roll over the few survivors.

The part I don't get is how these factions, who have two provinces each, can both field more, larger armies than I can, with my 5 or 6 provinces, and do it so much faster. I'm scraping the bottom of the gold/food barrel keeping my 2 large armies and 1 small army in soldiers, and it takes 3 turns to fill ranks because the Military rating for my provinces has sunk (due, I assume, to all the recruiting I've had to do).

This game is great (often wonky writing aside), but I'm going to have to start over on easy or something. I'll probably also turn on Weaken Archers, since it seems like they pretty much decide battles and having armies of 50%+ archers is kind of lame.

Tavio
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Hello

ive been playing the game recently and i am in your same situation fighting against two countries, but only one is a real threat (so as long i dont let the other build up too many forces).

ive been reading the ai cheats on resources, meaning they could potentially get 400% more resources (or more) from a province, and trust me, the game keeps getting harder.

yes i also turned on the weaker archers option, it helps in the begining, but late game their power returns, (specially deepwood archers, unseelie archers) though i only have 4 archer units, apparently, a full cavalry army is very powerful, a mix of britons and light cavalry (upgraded to elite) and/or joust knights is enough to give a rating of 90-100%, and are a pain to coutner to avoid the trample since i cant tangle a full army with what i have.

ok back to topic, even though they do have that possible 400% more income, they do not cheat in other ways, meaning, if you make a sudden strike and manage to conquer several of their cities, and hold them miraculously somehow, they will starve to death (or so was reported)

oh and trust me, it WILL get harder

beginners option looks tempting now isnt it?
i know its tempting me...but it will happen until my last man dies in the battle against the *spoilers removed* that are swarming my provinces!

Squid3d
01-05-2011, 02:22 AM
You're right about the cities/strongholds. siege them for a couple of years and you'll see their armies gradually diminish. valid - if a tad boring tactics.
If your really struggling to refill troops:
Make sure you have decent liege lords assigned to your recruiting fields (balan has a 25% less recruiting cost in his province for example). the province also need a decent miltary score. marry the good liege lords well.
Consider researching the law to increase gold income in unassigned provinces.

Lead your armies well. all Warlords have a perk to reduce casualties after battle. max it and make sure he leads your units into the costly battles. pump the stat to reduce army costs too.

If your getting too many losses in battle still, a change of tactics and army composition probably needed. Boot up skirmish mode and play with some different armies.

don't neglect your spells. if welsh archers are a problem then you probably need to take them out early (sidhe roads->cleave - dead archers) or hard counter them (any storm spell - tank with longshields, flank with cav)

I tend to play the game on normal difficulty(normal archers). the ai still cheats like a bastard but it's much less noticable and i don't have to resort to cheese tactics to win :)

Mogan
01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Doing better now. I started over on beginner, but it was too easy; I was winning battles without so much as a lost soldier (I did max Masterful Stratigies for Sir Kay, and made him my head general, with Balan as his heavy hitter). So I bumped it to easy and now I just started Chapter Two again and I'm thinking of going back to normal.

I do have a question though. In both games I've been attacked by neighbors for no real reason. This last time it was one who had been friendly (the King who asks you to go into the Bedigrain (sp?) and destroy the Cristal tower). One turn he was listed as friendly, the next he declared war. Am I doing something to jarate them off without realizing it?

Tavio
01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
after you get a stronghold, at least the london stronghold that is, there is a quest that opens up for about, 2 or 3 seasons i think, if you dont do it osmeone wages you war.

also, the war waging seems to be by steps, i got a war waged on me by someone who was very far away from me, somehow i imagine its done so that a player mobilizes

Sneaksie
01-07-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm struggling through the game too:)
First of all, i don't understand what triggers the story progress.
Is there any way to turn the ♥♥♥♥ty DLC OFF?!! I bought the complete pack (i'm sure you have it as well) and have these additional items, quests and so on. Great. One problem - they cause even more problems to me! I have my hands full fighting and completing quests and then these challenges 'smth of Gorlois' appear on the map. I don't have any spare men to throw away in a battle for a magic trinket against ridiculously powerful enemy! The problem is, these 'challenges' cause nice effects like '-10% population growth'. Way to go, developers!
I guess the main problem of the game that it is not balanced. I like it, battles are ok, text adventures are EXCELLENT, but the game just spams you with quests, enemy armies. It would be okay if i had time to complete most tasks, but the freaking story progresses so fast, i get several new timed quests almost every season. The final stab was 'The Hermit' quest that failed while it was not stated that it was timed! Normally quests have a time limit like 20 turns and i thought that quests without time limit can be saved for later. Heck no, and you even don't know if and when it would fail!
Are there any experienced players who make give an advice how to better handle all this? I really want to complete this game, it's a good one except some very strange design decisions.

Squid3d
01-07-2011, 06:17 AM
The vision quest is the only hidden timed quest in the game. usually, most people do it the moment it pops up.

I think it's actually only timed from a certain event (probably something to do with Bedigraine forest locations) as I've often left it for many years before starting out with no problem.

failing it isn't the end of days either. you'll just miss a couple of ok-ish artifacts and have to deal with ghost armies a tad sooner (they come regardless).
You'll never complete all the quests the game throws at you (half of the quest lines are always shut down to you anyway) so why stress yourself :)

take your time, do the quests that intrigue you and enjoy putting down those rebelious regions :D

the little dlc icon (ingame menu) should give you the option of disabling the dlc...or i could be thinking of Lionheart (not got my pc atm so can't check).

Sneaksie
01-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the tips! I found the DLC button in main menu (it's kinda well hidden), but i can't figure how to disable one of the DLCs and if this is possible at all (it says 'active' for three DLCs and 'not purchased' for Druids DLC, no button or anything to diable or enable them).
What are the best units to battle ghosts? They slaughter elite heavy infantry like sheep. The only solution i found is lots of dragon fires and lightning magic, but for this i need to keep my good spellcasters (Gareth, Ywain and a couple of others) in a single army.

Squid3d
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I guess it was lionheart i was thinking of. there is probably some command line switch to disable the dlc but i don't know it offhand sry.

A last resort could be to delete the local content for the dlc (is that even possible?).

as for ghost armies, there's a few tactics:
a few heavy inf and loads of spear-men - auto-battle and win (cheesy and boring).
A half decent sage with daylight and hold (or slow), lots of crossbow men (a few spearmen too). use hold to stop you getting overwhelmed and hack/bolt away.
A good scrapper with max cleave (even better if he has any %kill or aoe perks) backed up by heavy inf/spearmen (later ghost armies are cav heavy) make sure you are using formations.

my favourite army for spampain - Sir Kay (merrick's sword for cleave + some artifacts/armor for spell resist) maxed out VL and attrition perks attched to knights. 4 heavy inf (fodder, don't bother with elites), a couple of light cav (quick capping VL's) and the rest are spearmen.

a veritable roving army of ghostbusters :)

there are other tactics/armie makeups but, you get the idea :)

Vague-rant
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Having difficulties here too. Keep getting christian armies popping up, the samhain(?) ruining one of my provinces and if I go further along the main quest line 2 Unseelie armies are going to attack. Its not that the fights are hard(I progressed slowly in the game so I have awesome units and heroes :)), its just I only have 3 armies, 1 of which is tied up in the quest line.

If anyone needs help with the Samhain... What I'm doing is just using summerborn/springborn and a few Seelies, use the Daylight spell to give them a bonus and ambush from some trees. Also theres a sidhe spell that gives all sidhe units +12 hp/s and -12hp/s to all non sidhe and it covers something ridiculous like 500m (summer and spring things count as sidhe). It should work with Winter/Autumnborn/Unseelies too but I think the shades get a boost in the same locations as Unseelies so its a bit harder.

Squid3d
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I tend to go for 3 main armies (same as you - 1 main quest, 2 for province and side quests) but if things get rough then i rope in my other Knights (who are usually training troops or sitting in an abbey) and make a couple of cheap/fodder armies.

main armies only have 2 Knights - army leader is always a Warlord with high movement and upkeep perks. second night is usually a champion or sage. I'll sometimes merge armies to a 4 knight for the very tough battles but that only happens 2 or 3 times in a campaign. I almost never have full elite armies either (although they are always lvl 10) as it get's too expensive when you have rebellions, ghosts and them damnable crusaders ruining your provinces output :)

Warlords and income/upkeep bonus' (at the stronghold) are key though. can't do without em :)

Tavio
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
That is an interesting set up there Squid3d, currently on a break from arthur, the battles get very mentally draining, and will most likely have to restart, i had one horrible accident buying money instead of food one time and i noticed too late, though up until that point, my main army consisted of:
Sir kay, King mark and Sir Balam (with elite breakshields, sentinels and golden gryphons respectively) (yes, horrible team make up for fighting sidhe archers and so) 2 king's guards, 4 elite breakshields and 4 deepwood bowmen, and aside from the ocassional enemy spell,s, i had few problems fightingt other armies, even the samhain army i was able to beat with little losses

the merricks complete set, while not impressive individually, it helped sir Kay get up to 200k hp, which is rather impressive (and so was seeing him once getting down to 20% of his hp X_X) and had a second army of 4 knights only and very damaged troops but worked as watchman in a province that was of little problems, but didnt want to conquer just yet, the last i needed was yet another front to defend.

my ideal set up is to eventually replace the elite breakshields with golden gryphons (including my knights retinue), but that still a long, long shot to go to

btw, what happens if you lose a hero in a battle (lose the entire fight) can you recruit the heroes later on or do more heroes appear?)

Sneaksie
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Just had a lovely battle with Mordred. He attacked my elite main army with lots of giants, some other giant things, some elite evil infantry and three heroes, including himself. I had 4 heroes, plenty of heavy infantry including golden gryphons, some knights and 2 unseelie archer death squads. I won, but it was cheesy: his army morale became zero just before my last hero was struck down (control zones capping works wonders), all his remaining troops obviosly were too scared to finish off these unseelie archers - they were the only survivors of this epic battle:)
This is ridiculous:) It's frightening to think what kind of armies game would likely throw at me at the end.
BTW, i'm currently closing sidhe paths, only one left. Does it mean the end game is near or am i completely screwed and should have waited with these quests for later? Saxons just joined me, need to conquer 2 of their remaining provinces, Welsh are conquered, have many rebellions, Sidhe army appeared, one Samhain army is on the loose and, of course, lots of lovely challenges from DLC are quickly depopulating my empire:)
BTW, for closing the paths i use one hero (Balan?) with mostly depleted cavalry unit and some boots for quick travelling in the Bedegraine - no need to carry entire army there. So far he was able to outrun Sidhe army of doom lead by 16lvl sorceress that tries to catch him in the forest:)
Another puzzling thing is why i am having 3 rebellions each year while i assigned the best 'good' heroes to govern all provinces and laws giving more loyalty and food growth in expense of taxes are active...

Squid3d
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
That is an interesting set up there Squid3d, currently on a break from arthur, the battles get very mentally draining, and will most likely have to restart, i had one horrible accident buying money instead of food one time and i noticed too late
Such a noob mistake. you'd never ever catch me doing anything remotely as stupid...

;P

I'm the same. i find the campaign can get quite stressful at times. i like to keep my gameplay sessions short too.
The saxons dlc i can play for hours though. Possibly due to the fact that the timed quests aren't really gamebreaking ones and that there are far more diplomacy/trade options.

, though up until that point, my main army consisted of:
Sir kay, King mark and Sir Balam (with elite breakshields, sentinels and golden gryphons respectively) (yes, horrible team make up for fighting sidhe archers and so) 2 king's guards, 4 elite breakshields and 4 deepwood bowmen, and aside from the ocassional enemy spell,s, i had few problems fightingt other armies, even the samhain army i was able to beat with little losses
Once you get the hang of the battle system, most army makeups are successful. some, obviously more than others but then it comes down to fun (or roleplay if thats' what floats your boat).

Sir Kay has a motley crew :)

the merricks complete set, while not impressive individually, it helped sir Kay get up to 200k hp, which is rather impressive (and so was seeing him once getting down to 20% of his hp X_X) and had a second army of 4 knights only and very damaged troops but worked as watchman in a province that was of little problems, but didnt want to conquer just yet, the last i needed was yet another front to defend.

Merricks' set is probably the least overpowered of the dlc sets.
It's a good set for your roving commander. i pretty much use it the way you have.

what happens if you lose a hero in a battle (lose the entire fight) can you recruit the heroes later on or do more heroes appear?)

There tends to be enough Knights to fill your table and lose a couple in battle (15 pre-dlc, 17 post i think). if you lose a battle badly and you night is captured then he becomes a prisoner in the victors castle/keep. you'll need to take this whole province to get your Knight back.

I could be wrong though, it's been a long time since i lost a Knight :)

Tavio
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
merricks the least overpowered of them? gees
there is no way in unseelie that i'll ever set foot in saxon's land without the support of the welsh to deal with them, the nightmares return...

i tried the saxons campaign just to see how different it was, and goddamit it is, diplomacy, i can even get a wife, less timed pressures and more lords for fights to be longer, and no time pressure, and you can set your own objectives, oh and did i mention no timed pressures?

only turn off was that theyre forcefully christians, but i'll eventually play that too

Drunk-Side Jedi
01-13-2011, 03:54 PM
What are the best units to battle ghosts? They slaughter elite heavy infantry like sheep. The only solution i found is lots of dragon fires and lightning magic, but for this i need to keep my good spellcasters (Gareth, Ywain and a couple of others) in a single army.

Actually, Elite heavy Infantry is presicely what I use to battle ghosts. Sir Balan lays down Protection from Magic, Sir Brandilis lays down Sanctuary and Master Tactics. Now I have a big bubble that my heavy infantry stay in and slaughter ghosts.

Tavio
01-16-2011, 09:15 AM
i try using everything i have on my heroes, but seems like one warlod 2 champions is not exactly the best combination, and i have lost lvl 5 and lvl 6 elite breakshields to them ghosts...and spells...

Drunk-Side Jedi
01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Magic resistance is the important part to protect you from the area of effect aura on thier units. Either Protection from Magic or the Champion passives that add to the Magic resist of thier attached unit.

I'm not sure if Breakshields are beefy enough, though. I'm using Golden Griffons myself.