PDA

View Full Version : Serial #/GFWL Account Association Tragedy

Ravenium
01-04-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm writing this in the hopes someone can figure out something I've missed, but I'm not holding out much hope. Here goes.

I bought DR2 a little before Christmas when it was on sale. As with a lot of people here, I spent the first few trying to work out the blasted GFWL issues, but finally it seemed to be working. I played a match or two online, and it seemed to be ok, more or less. However, I noticed that my online handle was some randomly generated stuff. Ugh, I said - I want to be Ravenium! I went to change it, yet it was taken, it said.

How could this be, I thought? Aha! I had an old email account from back in the day that must be using it, that must be it, I said. Sure enough, that was the one. I said to myself "ok, I'll switch to that email account and nuke the GFWL account I just made, since it's a bad idea to have duplicate accounts lying around."

Bad idea - I soon realized that when I deleted the MSN Live email, my serial # died with it. I am now no longer able to play online.

I tried remaking the live acct - no such luck, different GUID. I tried contacting GFWL support, they said to try Valve or that I'd have to buy another copy of the game (???). I tried Valve and they (rightfully) said that they don't do support for the game and it's Capcom's issue. I've got a support ticket in, but if it fails I'm out of options.

Anyone got any other ideas? I just want one working serial number for the one copy of the game I purchased, so that I can play online. Needless to say, I'll never delete an account again!

puffader
01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Contact support. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=11

Ravenium
01-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I already contacted Steam support - that's when they said they don't support 3rd party games (and linked me to Capcom support).

"The Steam Support Team does not provide support for account issues within this game, nor can we issue a replacement key.

Please visit our FAQ article for information on how to contact the support provider for this title:

Title: Dead Rising 2
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4470-WPHC-0121"

I suppose I could refile as another type of issue, but I'm not sure if they'd like that.

Ravenium
01-06-2011, 08:39 AM
The weird thing is, it let me re-create it right after deleting it. The GFWL rep I spoke with was very polite, if unhelpful. I'll keep trying - thanks! Maybe the Capcom support people will get back to me, too...