PDA

View Full Version : Zeno Clash Story Discussion *SPOILERS*

monchan
01-05-2011, 06:44 AM
I just beat the game a few hours ago and I must say it is a very nice indy game. However, some of the plot holes are driving me mad! Here are some of my questions:

1)How do people not know that their children are being stolen/replaced with random creatures?

2)How do the same fighters come up multiple times?
3)Why do people choose to be crowids?
4)Who is Deadra (specifically)?
5)Is there somewhere I can find more information about the game lore?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for answering the questions!
PS- I forgot to ask! This is sort random, but for the single shot rifle, how does the reloading mechanism work? He basically loads some bullet balls into the barrel, then has to use some stick with a heated end to close the hatch?

cbordeu
01-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Hi monchan. Here are some answers straight from the devs:

*BTW I added spoiler tags to your first question to make the thread even more spoiler friendly... (the #1 question is quite a big spoiler).

1) FM replaces children with only pigs... not random creatures. Remember he has this pig place behind the Northern Gate Bar (that is run by members of the the Norther Gate... not his children). Remember the place where you fight the elephant man for the first time with the little piggies...?

FM only swaps babies from outside of Halstedom. All his children are prohibited from venturing out mainly because they could possibly realize about his secret. The few settlers who dare live outside of Halstedom are very poor, ignorant and superstitious creatures / people. Think that even some are on the verge of insanity like the corwids.

If you remember in the chapter where Helim is intoduced; there is a Sloth-type creature with a baby pig (presumably that is Therium's mother). Therium is the big brown sloth you fight in the game. He is a son of FM.

2) You never kill anyone in the fist fights. You are punching them until unconscious... not killing them. The weapons are not powerful enough to kill. Zeno Clash may be the first-person game with less deaths there is... ;)

3) I wouldn't say people choose to become a corwid, but rather that they find no purpose with their lives and are driven by either a mania or new purpose which leads them to crazy-like behavior. The world of Zeno Clash is extremely primitive and many creatures live very basic lives. The path to becoming a corwid can also be seen as the path of the inhabitants returning to a more primitive state... leaving the city and returning to nature.

The game conveys a bit the idea that Halstedom is a lawless and chaotic center which is both a shelter from the hostility of the outside primitive world, but also a place with no structure in which the stronger survive. From a certain point of view the corwids live in a freedom that the citizens of Halstedom can never have.

4) She is Ghat's companion... you can think of her as his girlfriend. She is not FM's daughter (some people have made that mistake).

5) Visit our ACE Team forum (http://forums.aceteam.cl/)

Zomnivore
01-08-2011, 06:20 AM
My big issue is with Golem, and then the ending, and the rubix cube+ the society that built him etc.

"what killed the people who made him"
"what's his connection to player / ppl he affects via dmg"
"what thing was he made to guard/fix/w/e"
"why the strange cod pieces ugh"
"how exactly is telling father-mother's big secret the unique thing that will end the conflict, and why does the main character hesitate to tell the secret but fine with having to fight for his life/gf's life etc"

epicphail
01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
i to just beat it also wish it was longer but I was suprised and liked it alot.

mcilrain
01-10-2011, 05:01 PM
2) You never kill anyone in the fist fights. You are punching them until unconscious... not killing them. The weapons are not powerful enough to kill. Zeno Clash may be the first-person game with less deaths there is... ;)

Really? I'm pretty sure those weapons are deadly, after all, Metamoq uses the explodey-skull to kill himself, and it seems the situation is pretty dire, it doesn't make sense that Ghat wouldn't kill his attackers.

I thought there was something more to the "coming back to life" thing, since after the second time you kill the mercenary, Deadra says something about making sure it doesn't come back to life.

strawzombie
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Just finished the game too. Great game! :D

At first I thought it was a tad too short also, but now I think it was just the right length. The game at it's current length still gives you plenty to think about.

I do wish there was more background story though. I mean, there could have been a digital comic book, or a section for artwork with character descriptions accessible within the game.

It also would have been cool if there was a fight between Deadra and Rimat (that raging straw-hatted sister). Not necessarily to play as Deadra, but just as part of the story. Judging by how much Rimat hated Ghat, it just seemed like that would naturally happen eventually. And during the game I kept waiting for Deadra to say something to her, or at least something about her to Ghat in a cut scene.

So instead of fighting as Deadra, while still playing as Ghat, the player could have climbed up to higher ground and provide cover fire for her, to prevent the rest of Father/Mother's children from intervening in Deadra's fight with Rimat.

Also, here are some of my (out there) philosophical thoughts on the game's storyline.

I think Father/Mother is a metaphor for a religious God.

Also, not sure, I'll have to play through the game again, but I think Father/Mother can also be a metaphor for pretty much ANY deeply entrenched authoritative social institution. Like "Big Brother" or the mafia. But I'm going to use the original religious God metaphor from here on out.

Ghat used to be a willing/loyal member of his religious family until uncontrollable circumstances made him see that this family was living a lie. He never sought to uncover anything about anyone. The lie was shown to him by pure coincidence and he just couldn't turn away from it. He's an accidental protagonist.

From Ghat's perspective, he's helping his brothers and sisters by exposing this lie to them. He's trying to free them.

From his brother's and sister's perspective, Ghat is an evil murderer and has taken away the only thing "real" to them, especially within the violent and chaotic city of Halstedom.

Ghat is no longer a "slave to reality" so he can handle having his so-called reality messed with a bit, without immediately wanting to destroy the person who is messing with it. His brothers and sisters, not so much.

I have no idea about Golem. :confused: The only thing I can think to say about Golem is that he's not a "slave to coherence." (the desperate need/obsession for things to always make sense or to be easily wrapped up in neat packages)

I don't remember the exact wording, but one of my favorite lines in the game was when he was commenting on the Corwid lifestyle.

Finally, here's a thought experiment: If Oxameter (the Corwid who walks in straight lines) is on one side going about his merry way, and Gabel (the Corwid who eats people) is on the other side running in full charge, and they are both heading directly toward each other, who would win?...

Vaka
01-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Finally, here's a thought experiment: If Oxameter (the Corwid who walks in straight lines) is on one side going about his merry way, and Gabel (the Corwid who eats people) is on the other side running in full charge, and they are both heading directly toward each other, who would win?...

LOL, I'd think that Gabel would win, Oxameter died against a tree hahaha very stupid, I laughed a lot when I saw that.

The only thing I don't understand is who the ♥♥♥♥ is the misterious guy who appears at the end, and what the hell is he doing....but i think it was made on purpose for a second game coming up :)

PS: it's very cool the male/female voice of FM, reminds me of Fallout 1 final boss

cbordeu
01-12-2011, 05:14 AM
I don't remember the exact wording, but one of my favorite lines in the game was when he was commenting on the Corwid lifestyle.

"These are the most abject and miserable creatures I anywhere beheld". I believe this is what Charles Darwin said about the Selk-Nam... a native tribe from the southern parts of Chile. Edmundo can correct me if I'm wrong (he wrote the story).

it seems the situation is pretty dire, it doesn't make sense that Ghat wouldn't kill his attackers.

Many of his attackers are his own brothers and sisters... and even the corwid whom he seems to greatly respect. He is not a murderer. And Metamoq's exploding skullbomb on the face... it is one of the only real deaths in the game. I guess a skullbomb too close to the face might be deadly... maybe he put it in his mouth. :eek:

Anyways... for those who want to read more interesting facts and debates about the story, I recommend this recent post from our forums:

Story discussion (http://forums.aceteam.cl/index.php?showtopic=2315)

...and this might be also quite interesting...

Golem's real name (old cryptography challenge) (http://forums.aceteam.cl/index.php?showtopic=679)

strawzombie
01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
"These are the most abject and miserable creatures I anywhere beheld". I believe this is what Charles Darwin said about the Selk-Nam... a native tribe from the southern parts of Chile. Edmundo can correct me if I'm wrong (he wrote the story).

Thanks for the reply cbordeu. I found the quote I was looking for:

"If you won’t try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic instead of affecting others with your pointless actions."

That's my favorite line in the game cuz at first the Corwids seemed so cool. But in that light, they seem kind of sad. Also cuz Golem seems to be so detached and outside all of what's going on in that world, yet he's somehow still very connected to both Ghat and Deadra (when he get's hurt, they both get hurt). Golem still confuses the hell out of me. He seems cold and heartless, but still helpful to Ghat and Deadra. I mean, most god-like fictional characters similar to Golem wouldn't even bother taking the time to explain themselves to characters like Deadra so much.

Anyways, back to that cool quote. Ghat says the Corwids aren't slaves to reality, but maybe Golem is saying that the Corwids are just as much slaves to reality as anyone else. Similar to how someone can still remain a so-called slave to something by spending all their later life energy trying to rebel against it. Such as someone who was at one point a slave to money, but then decides to turn away from all forms of wealth entirely, and therefore still remains a slave to the whole idea of it. But then again, I can see how passive apathy can be pretty sad too.

Also going to check out the story discussions on the other Zeno Clash forums.

gen. DeGroot
03-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Then how come after defeating talonco the first time, flies orbit his body?

cbordeu
03-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Then how come after defeating talonco the first time, flies orbit his body?

Many Corwids have flies around them even as they battle... it is a small detail that actually few people see in the game. They're pretty filthy the Corwids... they don't need to rot before flies come after them ;)

gen. DeGroot
03-12-2011, 11:44 AM

However, Metamoq kills himself with a skullbomb about 16 inches from his face, ghat does the same to FM, and I've thrown a skullbomb at teskung while he was getting up, and it was pretty close to his face and he didn't die.:confused::confused::confused:

gen. DeGroot
03-12-2011, 06:12 PM
LOL, I'd think that Gabel would win, Oxameter died against a tree hahaha very stupid, I laughed a lot when I saw that.

I don't think he died, I think he's just pushing it until it falls over.

cbordeu
03-15-2011, 06:17 AM
However, Metamoq kills himself with a skullbomb about 16 inches from his face, ghat does the same to FM, and I've thrown a skullbomb at teskung while he was getting up, and it was pretty close to his face and he didn't die.:confused::confused::confused:

A direct skullbomb to the face could be lethal... that's part of the fiction that you have to accept in the game. But in the story Ghat isn't trying to kill his brothers and sisters.

gen. DeGroot
03-17-2011, 09:58 PM
A direct skullbomb to the face could be lethal... that's part of the fiction that you have to accept in the game. But in the story Ghat isn't trying to kill his brothers and sisters.

I understand that. Teskung is in fact a northern gate gang member, one of Jsaj's cronies.

held
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Just finished it, great game. I also finished Homefront today, but I had more fun with Zeno Clash. I like the world-design of the game, it's unique.

Is this guy with the telescope at the credits Golem? Or another similar ancient being?

abordeu
03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Is this guy with the telescope at the credits Golem? Or another similar ancient being?

Not Golem ;)

gen. DeGroot
03-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Not Golem ;)

So who is he? melog?

EDIT: also, the skullbomb launcher. Why can you headshot?

gen. DeGroot
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh and who are the mucoli worshipers, and why are they trying to kill ghat at one point?