PDA

View Full Version : Attacking uncap/deployment

BeSerious
01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I would like to hear peoples reasoning behind why there should be
no attacking uncaps/deployment areas.

85% of servers have this rule, and any time I even ask, I am met with "Go play somewhere else".

Help me understand the logic behind allowing the enemy to come out of their base unimpeded.
If the point of the game is to win, I cannot understand how letting the enemy get even two feet out of the base is a good idea.

I never complain when I am being baseraped, I merely try a new strategy, or resign myself to losing that match.

Serious replies only please.

Also, if anyone knows any good servers without the rule, please let me know, so I can play there.

Twombly
01-08-2011, 12:45 PM
The server renter has the prerogative to assign rules within certain parameters, which includes not attacking uncaps. I'd assume they set that rule so that people don't get spawn camped and ragequit.

Rock-Star
01-08-2011, 01:02 PM
BeSerious, it's simple: It's not fun for a team to have only one place to respawn that is being targeted by the whole enemy team.
That means you respawn and hardly have more than 3 seconds to live. Does that seem good gaming experience for you? Tbh, if the enemy team is camping outside your base, covering all the possible (normally 2 or 3 exits), with tanks, choppers and infantry, there's little you can do. You'll most likely respawn in the open and are turn into pieces in a matter of seconds.

EDIT: forgot to add that in vietnam you cannot actually enter their spawn, so acquiring enemy vehicles that way is impossible. I dont have any objections to "vehicle stealing" as the way i see it, vehicles are there to be used. But that means getting the vehicle and get out of the spawn, not staying there mowing down every infantryman that spawns in a presumed safe area.

Kalabalana
01-08-2011, 01:05 PM
This only occurs when the server administrators are not competent in the actual game. Poor players feel (in Rush for example) that attacking a defenders uncap is against the way the game should be played. These people do no understand the game as either they have not played it enough, or are just so bad, they cannot see why they are so laughably wrong. If anything, attacking people in uncap should be rewarded, and end the round faster as clearly one team is not going to win. It's not easy to maintain an offense against an uncap unless your team is significantly better, and in which case, you should actually want the round to end faster.

Rock-Star
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
This only occurs when the server administrators are not competent in the actual game. Poor players feel (in Rush for example) that attacking a defenders uncap is against the way the game should be played. These people do no understand the game as either they have not played it enough, or are just so bad, they cannot see why they are so laughably wrong. If anything, attacking people in uncap should be rewarded, and end the round faster as clearly one team is not going to win. It's not easy to maintain an offense against an uncap unless your team is significantly better, and in which case, you should actually want the round to end faster.

Well i guess he was talking about conquest, as with rush mode there is a totally different perspective. Defenders have unlimited tickets while attackers don't, so it's normal that defenders spawn in the vincity of some attackers and get killed. Must not forget that defenders are not allowed to enter attackers spawn, so no "base ♥♥♥♥♥♥" occurs. When attackers camp back, that's their problem and will loose ofc.

But conquest is a little bit different. Imo, you should be able to mix up some of the Assault gametype that existed in previous versions: You start both with uncap areas, and proceed to cap points. if a team gets to the point that he has no more points and it's left again with only the original uncap, it should turn into cap, and "attackers" could effectively end the game, as in they wiped out the other team.

Ace Quat
01-08-2011, 01:21 PM
this is a game, it is primarily designed to have fun (as you wont gain anything in real life when you achieve something ingame). if people are constantly losing, most people try harder, some tend to ragequit or in rather rare case they join the winning team (according to my studies, a very low lifeform of human being).

hence when one team gains the entire control over the map and starts spawn killing the other team, the quitting of players will seriously increase turning 16vs15 skirmishes into a 14vs8 (or worse) slaughterhouse.

also, with your logic of enabling base attacks, games would be over soon as one team has captured all flags for the first time barring the enemy team from having a possible comeback

Rock-Star
01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
also, with your logic of enabling base attacks, games would be over soon as one team has captured all flags for the first time barring the enemy team from having a possible comeback

I see your point ofc, but that went very well with BF2. Maybe i am missing the fact that BF2 had more flags, as well as one team started with an uncap and the other started with all points captured (all capturable)

Twombly
01-08-2011, 01:29 PM

It doesn't "only occur" in any one situation. If I'm an admin and I see my server frequently emptying out due to spawn camping, I'm going to add a rule to prevent it. What good is an empty server? It doesn't matter what my skill level is as an admin, I'd just rather have people playing on my server than not playing on my server.

Even if I'm on the team spawn camping, I generally tell my squad buddies to back off because it's just not fun, and the other team tends to ragequit.

That said, I don't run a server at all, I'm just saying. Generalizing like that is plain stupid.

PoIson895
01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Spawning into bullets and not having time to react is not fun. Its a very cheap strat. I do it.... lol

BeSerious
01-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated.

While I do see the logic that you would not want the server to empty out because people are getting murdered in the spawn, there are servers that don't have this rule, and I rarely see more than a couple people leave when the baseraping occurs.

Personally, I would rather play with the caliber of players who are willing to make an effort when they are being beaten down, than players who quit the game because things aren't going their way.

I can have fun either way, with the rule or without. I will state though, that some of my most memorable moments in the game come when we surmount overwhelming odds and repel back a baseraping force.

Maybe I wouldn't care so much, if servers would indicate the rules in their title. Then I'd be able to find a server that suits my taste easier.

Thanks again for the replies.

evoleo24
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm fine with it as long as the server also has a team scrambler add on. One that can switch up friends as well.

HvC_Terr
01-08-2011, 06:52 PM
The problem is not "attacking uncap". That's merely the symptom.

The real problem is either:
Teams which are not balanced
Rush maps which are designed badly

The real solution isn't adding crappy "shoot that guy and you die" plugins, the real solution is a team-balance plugin that keeps it from becoming an epidemic in the first place.

Justiin
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated.

While I do see the logic that you would not want the server to empty out because people are getting murdered in the spawn, there are servers that don't have this rule, and I rarely see more than a couple people leave when the baseraping occurs.

Personally, I would rather play with the caliber of players who are willing to make an effort when they are being beaten down, than players who quit the game because things aren't going their way.

I can have fun either way, with the rule or without. I will state though, that some of my most memorable moments in the game come when we surmount overwhelming odds and repel back a baseraping force.

Maybe I wouldn't care so much, if servers would indicate the rules in their title. Then I'd be able to find a server that suits my taste easier.

Thanks again for the replies.

I agree. Sometimes the team getting baseraped is just awful. So even if your entire team just laid back for a few minutes and let the other team advance, within 10 minutes they'll be pushed back to their spawn. I notice this happening on teams on the the most when my team is full of snipers and don't get the concept of advancing.