PDA

View Full Version : whats up with the horrible lip syncing?

trek554
01-09-2011, 02:50 AM
I dont own the game yet but videos I have seen for it show pretty horrible lip syncing. it looks bad enough to actually make me question buying the game. I have even seen it mentioned in some reviews so why aren't more people complaining about it here?

Krychek
01-09-2011, 04:36 AM
What do you prefer the good story and humor or the lip syncing?

Ghostbreed
01-09-2011, 08:23 AM
both.

trek554
01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
What do you prefer the good story and humor or the lip syncing?are you freaking kidding me? so now I have to choose from a good story or lip syncing? what good is all the great voice acting if the mouth movement doesn't even match what they are saying?

Ghostbreed
01-09-2011, 04:29 PM
are you freaking kidding me? so now I have to choose from a good story or lip syncing? what good is all the great voice acting if the mouth movement doesn't even match what they are saying?
^this.

civanT
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Lip syncing is more trouble than it worths. Really, it's as difficult as understanding a David Lynch movie but on the contrary of a David Lynch movie most people don't care about them.

If the game is not Mass Effect or something like Heavy Rain, lip syncing is not really important.

trek554
01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Lip syncing is more trouble than it worths. Really, it's as difficult as understanding a David Lynch movie but on the contrary of a David Lynch movie most people don't care about them.

If the game is not Mass Effect or something like Heavy Rain, lip syncing is not really important.well to you maybe not but to me it ruins the experience to see characters talking out of sync. it was the VERY FIRST THING I NOTICED when I saw videos for the game. I was hoping it was just the videos but after research it turns out it was the game. sorry but I will pass on this game since they are too lazy to get something as basic as lip syncing correct.

Monster_user
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM

If the game is not Mass Effect or something like Heavy Rain, lip syncing is not really important.

So maybe a game like Mass Effect, during "Action sequences". For Heavy Rain, or Mass Effect during "cinematic sequences" lip syncing is important.

Gammerman12
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
All Telltale games have it. The engine isn't made with a very good faceposer, like source.

Ghostbreed
01-10-2011, 04:48 AM
even Sam and Max have better lip sync than this

Krychek
01-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Just use your freakin' imagination, you graphic♥♥♥♥.

civanT
01-10-2011, 07:08 AM
well to you maybe not but to me it ruins the experience to see characters talking out of sync. it was the VERY FIRST THING I NOTICED when I saw videos for the game. I was hoping it was just the videos but after research it turns out it was the game. sorry but I will pass on this game since they are too lazy to get something as basic as lip syncing correct.

As basic as lip syncing? I understand it bothers you and I can respect that but lip syncing is not a simple thing mate. It's a profession for lots of people in show business. Every language needs its own lip syncing on animations. Otherwise there will be overrun or underrun problems. It takes considerable time and money.

Talltale releases their games on monthly basis and this schedule is not really suited to realistic lip syncing process. Like I said even if you can afford the man power you may not have the time.

That brings up the question: Do you want polished games with good story and fast releases but no lip syncing, or with lip syncing but with more problems?

I really don't care about lip syncing in Telltale games. I read the subtitles anyway.

But if Bioware were to not lip sync Mass Effect games, I'd be really angry. I would so ninja troll their forums. Geez, even thinking about it gives me goosebumps :eek:

trek554
01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Just use your freakin' imagination, you graphic♥♥♥♥. use my imagination instead of paying attention to the video game that is right in front of me? :rolleyes:

trek554
01-10-2011, 03:46 PM
As basic as lip syncing? I understand it bothers you and I can respect that but lip syncing is not a simple thing mate. It's a profession for lots of people in show business. Every language needs its own lip syncing on animations. Otherwise there will be overrun or underrun problems. It takes considerable time and money.

Talltale releases their games on monthly basis and this schedule is not really suited to realistic lip syncing process. Like I said even if you can afford the man power you may not have the time.

That brings up the question: Do you want polished games with good story and fast releases but no lip syncing, or with lip syncing but with more problems?

I really don't care about lip syncing in Telltale games. I read the subtitles anyway.

But if Bioware were to not lip sync Mass Effect games, I'd be really angry. I would so ninja troll their forums. Geez, even thinking about it gives me goosebumps :eek:this isn't some either or crap. pretty much every game I have owned can get lip syncing correct. so they can work hard polishing a story and doing good voice acting acting but they cant sync the voice to the mouth movement? the only thing more ridiculous than that is the fact that some of you are defending it and saying it doesn't matter.

quasit
01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Good that you brought this up as I planned on buying this. Defending crap lip sync because of good story is silly.

Monster_user
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I am ignoring it, I expect they will fix it with a patch, if enough people complain.

Personally it doesn't bother me right now. It will probably bother me later.

trek554
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I almost positive they will never fix it. I mean if they went through the whole development process and play tested the game then released it like that then certainly dont care or either its not fixable.

civanT
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
They won't fix it because there is nothing to fix.

What you are doing is like attacking Super Mario because of it doesn't have a deep story.

Lack of lip syncing is not a fault, it's a choice that made by developers.

Take it or leave it if it bothers you that much. What's the big deal? If you are ready to not buy this game because of lip syncing, obviously you don't care much about it anyway.

trek554
01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
are you actually saying they make the lip movement out of sync with the voice on purpose? lol

Monster_user
01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Lack of lip syncing is not a fault, it's a choice that made by developers.

A choice and a fault are not mutually exclusive. It is the developers fault for making that choice. It is still a fault though.

are you actually saying they make the lip movement out of sync with the voice on purpose? lol

I would assume that he was saying that the developers decided to "not try" on purpose. If they lips had somehow been synced, they would have been fine with that.

Den
02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I found a youtube video of the lip sync.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162rSgMysDY
Honestly, it seems okay to me.
:D

The Commander
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
If the lip syncing is so bad you can always close your eyes when they are talking, or just not purchase the game and spend you money/time on another game to complain about.

trek554
02-10-2011, 10:44 PM
If the lip syncing is so bad you can always close your eyes when they are talking, or just not purchase the game and spend you money/time on another game to complain about.or join a forum and make your first post completely useless...

switchblade123
02-11-2011, 03:11 AM
I went through The Tales of Monkey Island and it was the same. Up until now I didn't even notice there was a Sync Issue. I still don't see it as I am too busy enjoying the game itself. You obviously are nitpicking and looking for a reason to not buy this game so why bother coming on here, making a post and trolling all the responses like a child?

And for the record, I see no sync issues, I am too busy playing the game. You want to see real Sync problems, go play Alan Wake. And even that games Sync Issues didn't bother me. Didnt bother a lot of people's cause it got good scores from a lot of places.

trek554
02-11-2011, 03:18 AM
I went through The Tales of Monkey Island and it was the same. Up until now I didn't even notice there was a Sync Issue. I still don't see it as I am too busy enjoying the game itself. You obviously are nitpicking and looking for a reason to not buy this game so why bother coming on here, making a post and trolling all the responses like a child?

And for the record, I see no sync issues, I am too busy playing the game. You want to see real Sync problems, go play Alan Wake. And even that games Sync Issues didn't bother me. Didnt bother a lot of people's cause it got good scores from a lot of places.and the comment I had just replied to was not a 100% troll post?

I was not looking for a reason to not get the game at all. I was very interested in it but the videos showing the lip syncing being off bothered me. is it really silly of me to expect a modern game developer to actually take the time to sync the voice to the mouth movement?

and I hope you realize that developers that actually care will maybe see the complaints and strive to address that. a forum is not just a place for collective butt kissing and being rude to others that may be bothered by something even if you are not.

yodahome
02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
is it really silly of me to expect a modern game developer to actually take the time to sync the voice to the mouth movement?

No, it's not but it's an odd feature to choose as the main reason for a buying decision. I played the whole game (and many other Telltale games) and it never even occurred to me as a diversion from the game experience. I also don't expect realistic facial animation from a game that doesn't really try to be realistic anywhere else in its presentation. So while it's a technical flaw I wouldn't base my whole judgement on it, as technical perfection alone doesn't make a good game.
Maybe my standards are low but then again so is the price tag. There, I said it.

Monster_user
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm used to mild lip sync issues, as long as the lips move when the character is talking, I'm fine. Also, TellTale Games get a free pass.

As for the price, this game wasn't cheap. $30 is what I would pay for a AAA title, $25 is awfully close for a subpar game. So if this wasn't TellTale, I would be miffed.

Voleron
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Wow... really? Lip sync?

It wasn't all that long ago that characters didn't even have moving faces, let alone lip sync, and the best you could hope for was a jaw that flapped up and down.

People need to lower their standards on such trivial things like this.

trek554
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Wow... really? Lip sync?

It wasn't all that long ago that characters didn't even have moving faces, let alone lip sync, and the best you could hope for was a jaw that flapped up and down.

People need to lower their standards on such trivial things like this.and perhaps you should raise your standards a bit because its ridiculous looking in a modern game. I have games from 6-7 years ago that had no problem getting it right. if it doesn't bother some of you then great but I find it pretty annoying while trying to watch the characters talk.

mriguy
02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Is this lip syncing problem present in the real game. I have seen other companies release trailers in multiple languages, only changing the soundtrack. This resulted in the trailer having bad lip syncing that was not in the actual game. I can't imagine Telltale overlooking this issue, story or no story.

Monster_user
02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
It may be more obvious in different languages, or to some more sensitive individuals.

I live in the U.S. and the English copy does have some lip syncing issues. Most noticeable when Biff is shouting while his lips are closed. Other than that, the issues seem to be mild.

Also, some graphics driver issues, or LCD image enhancement features may cause those issues to become more noticeable.

I think the first episode is free from TellTale games' website, so see for yourself.

Aradraugfea
02-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Telltale games ship with multiple audio tracks. Not 'are translated later' SHIP WITH. You can't lipsynch for all languages, so you might as well just get a vague 'Lips are moving vaguely when they need to.'

Clamburger
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
You can't lipsynch for all languages, so you might as well just get a vague 'Lips are moving vaguely when they need to.'

Why not?

Monster_user
02-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Why not?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Maybe its a time issue. TellTale is releasing games mere months apart, it is difficult to get the mouths synced for a single language in less than a couple of weeks. Much more difficult when the game is still changing during that time period.

eccentrix
03-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Also, when you're walking, you can't always go where you think you should be able to. I thought modern video games were past this.