PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the game

orb505
01-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I had RMS Titanic on the Commodore 64 and that age old game had far more depth (excuse the pun) and playability than this offering.

I was first disappointed to find I started the game already at the bottom of the ocean. I'd had liked to have some options like a budget or choice to hire crew, ship, equipment, or even attract investment. Even a nice cut scene of the sub being lowered into the water would have been something! Nope, just magically at the bottom of the ocean.

You have a colleague on the radio to help you, his pidgoen English can be sometimes hard to understand and doesn't always make sense, but he isn't a show stopper. He does get confused at time, first insisting you re-surface as your battery or oxygen are low and then starts giving you directions deeper into the wreck to find the next object.

The controls are awkward and the default keys just don't make sense. You can reasign though. Movement of the sub and ROV isn't very good, especially if you attempt a head down decent, you get to a certain angle and the view swaps around and you're upside down and you can't turn any further. The crash detection on some objects is out. Many times I ended up stopped by an object I was several feet from.

A number of the objects and debris around the wreck clip through walls (several jugs you find either side of the wall), and it takes away from the game. Some textures are also badly placed, in some cabins you can clearly see the join on the ceilling or floor where two different textures meet.

The game play is linier, your colleague on the surface gives you instructions in an order and you must follow. For example when replaying one level to retrive a plate I knew a far quicker way to the cabin, I fetched the plate back but the game just didn't recongise this and my colleague still gave me directions to take the sub to the staircase to fetch it!

I would have liked to have seen the chance for my character to have more input. You can't collect anything else other than the object of your current mission. You can take photos to sell but the game even tells you when and where to take them.

That said the game initially does give a very good atmosphere and you could believe you are looking at the real wreck at times.

It was a really good concept but let down by lack of game play, it's basically a maze game. More managment options and perhaps the chance to find the location of the wreck from the surface would have greatly improved it.

I would have been happy to purchased this game in the 'Under 7' section, but after paying 25 I certainly don't think I received value for money.

Kimohboda
01-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for this cristal clear review! Saves me money...

scottus
01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I wish I would have waited but I fell for the hype. The graphics are sub-par at best and inaccurate in some cases. I was disapointed to find there was no F deck to explore, and no stern. The textures are boring and all very similar. The "rusticles" do not look right. I know this is not a triple A title but imagine what a major company could have done with this idea!

Onyx3173
03-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Well this review has pushed me away from purchasing the game. It's a shame, sounded like it could be enjoyable.

y077er
04-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Damn, just bought it. Wish I had checked forums first, been using steam for years and this is the first time I have been caught like this and I hope it's the last time.