PDA

View Full Version : Any other SW titles worthwhile?

snapcase
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
So I finally managed to play Kotor after having bought it on one of those sales (don't even remember when I bought it honestly). Really good game. 60-62 hours of playtime (forgot to check what my last save file said before archiving it) for a few bucks. It wasn't without flaws, but was far better than I had expected it to be.

So looking at the scores of other Star Wars games, they all seem to be ranked rather mediocre. Are there any other Star Wars games that you would recommend to someone who liked Kotor (and loves FPS, RPGs, and other action titles in general)?

Sweetz
01-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Honestly, while a few of the other games are considered classics - and I'm sure you'll get someone full of nostalgia (and lacking in perspective) recommending them - they're just a bit too long in the tooth to enjoy from a modern viewpoint.

The Jedi Knight games are very well regarded - and were indeed great back in the day - but there's been so much advancement and refinement in the FPS genre over the years, that I find they're a bit tough enjoy these days.

Maybe your tolerance for outdated game mechanics is much greater than mine, but if I were recommending a game to myself, the only thing I'd recommend is The Force Unleashed - and only if it's on sale. Even though it's a pretty lackluster port, The Force Unleashed can be a lot of fun if you like 3rd person brawlers (stuff like God of War, Devil May Cry). Definitely do not pay $30 for it though. Wait for it to go on sale for $10 or less and you'll get your money's worth (oh, provided you have a decent PC that is - the requirements are high).

---Edit---

Oh yeah, completely forgot about LEGO Star Wars. Even though it's ostensibly a "kiddie" game, the LEGO games are actually really damn fun, and they're not overly simple or anything like that. All my gamer friends love LEGO Star Wars and they're in they're late 20s and 30s like myself. If you like platformers at all, there's a lot to like there.

Guardian452
02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Republic Commando is GREAT GREAT GREAT! I can't recommend it enough.

The game is unbelievably short though, as in, not a lot of gametime at all- I beat it in one day. But for what's on there- it's great!

BathroomCitizen
02-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I find the old Jedi Knight games a group of the finest FPSs ever made, especially Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Its level design is very impressive with its open layouts: many games still fail to achieve this level of freedom.

I really preferred the Jedi Knight games to the Kotor series, although you can't really compare them because they're completely different genres. Maybe it's just that I enjoy FPSs more than RPGs...

By the way, all the Jedi Knight games are very, very good. I found the Force Unleashed quite shallow in comparison to these games... of course The Force Unleashed is meant to be played on a console, not a PC.
Anyway, I seem to like all the Star Wars games :)

Hope this helps man!

Sweetz
02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I find the old Jedi Knight games a group of the finest FPSs ever made, especially Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Its level design is very impressive with its open layouts: many games still fail to achieve this level of freedom.
It seems like you're a person who played them when they originally came out though - and I'm betting you were relatively young at the time too.

When you've experienced something as a kid (and that includes anything under the age of say 22) and when it was new, it's very, very difficult to keep that from skewing your perceptions of it. It takes a concentrated effort not to be affected by nostalgia.

It's just like a person who watched the original Star Wars trilogy when they were kid, would have a completely different perception and reverence for it than someone who's say, 30, watching it for the first time today.

Jedi Knight was one of the greatest FPSes of it's day, but there's been so much refinement over the years in the FPS genre, that it's tough to live with these days. If you're a huge Star Wars fan, that might be enough to pull you through, but as just a typical gamer with a passing affinity for Star Wars - not so much.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I played Jedi Knight back in day - but when I tried to recently replay it, I even found it tough to find any entertainment value in it that wasn't just about revisiting fond memories.

cbe123456
02-14-2011, 04:07 AM
If you liked KotOR then you could try KotOR 2

Monster_user
02-14-2011, 07:03 AM
It seems like you're a person who played them when they originally came out though - and I'm betting you were relatively young at the time too.

What is relatively young? I was a teenager when I first played.

While the graphics are subpar, I still find the game to be quite good. I much prefer a straight shooter to the QTEs of modern games. Force Unleashed was a passable game, far too shallow. I cared about Kyle Katarn, I didn't care about this new Skywalker fellow in Force Unleashed.

I'm not sure which is better though, JK or JK2. JK2 is prettier, but I always felt it was lacking compared to DF2:JK1.

As for recommendations:

Mass Effect: The spiritual successor to KOTOR.
X-Wing Alliance/X-Wing series
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series

TempS
06-22-2011, 04:41 PM
The Mass Effect series is the way to go. Mass Effect 1 gets off to a somewhat slow start at first, but gets great toward the end. Mass Effect 2 is all around a phenomenal game. Best sci-fi rpg shooters I've ever played.

(Mass Effect was made by the same developer...Bioware... as KOTOR. KOTOR2 was made by Obsidian... different developer and imo not quite as good. Just look at how much worse NWN2 (Obsidian) was compared to the original NWN (Bioware).

runtheplacered
06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
The Jedi Knight games are still great fun. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be. I didn't realize games became less fun over time.

Also the Force Unleashed is absolutely awful. And I try not to be hyperbolic very often but it really was just not any good. No matter how you shake it.

Particle_Man
06-26-2011, 08:40 PM
i disagree and thing the force unleashed is very good!

play demos, watch vids, decide what you'll like by yourself.

dont listen to us, we're a bunch of opinionated nerds.

KubanitoS
06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
The only good thing about Star Wars the Force Unleashed is the graphics. It is a very average action game, where you simply go forward and kill everyone that comes in your way. If this isn't enough, playing it with a keyboard and mouse combo is almost impossible. The controls simply suck.

I'd recommend the "new" Jedi Knight games: Outcast and Academy.

Also, the Mass Effect series are simply brilliant.

Dragonsbrethren
07-01-2011, 04:49 AM
I've yet to pick up the full versions of the Force Unleashed games, but I had fun with the demos. I did read the forums and know not to pick up the PC ports (unless they go dirt cheap during the summer sale and I can't help myself), but unless the demos were really sexed up (and I doubt it since I found TFU1's demo kind of lame) I easily found them some of the best Star Wars games I've played.

The Jedi Knight games...well, I'm trying to like them. I really am! But these games are extremely outdated now, and even though I play plenty of games from the same era on a regular basis, I'm having a hard time getting into them. Dark Forces is the best of the bunch, and that's a pure FPS with tons of annoying platforming and cheap kills. Which isn't saying much. JK/MotS have technical issues that make playing them less-than-enjoyable at times. Haven't tried JK2 yet and JA's lightsaber mechanics were an instant turn off but I haven't really given it a chance yet.

Also seconding Lego Star Wars. They're easily the best Star Wars action games ever made. Only played the demo of Clone Wars but I owned the first two on the GCN and played them for hours, actually bothering to get 100% completion, which is something I rarely do in any game. Make sure you've got a buddy around to play with you, though (I'd recommend a console version unless your PC is set up in a way that coop is easy).

i'm Batman
07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
i'm sorry, but mass effects sucks compared to kotor just because of the backstory. Star wars is more complexe. The game play is boring and the dialog is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to long. TherE's a reason that shots lever last more then 5 seconds in movies... it just gets REALLY boring REALLY fast. I'dd rather read a text in baldur's gate for 5 minutes then hear bad voice acting with clunky and repeatetive animations for 10 minutes. Inventory system in the first one is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and the second one is dumb down to an action game.

It's basicly the video game version of transformers the movie. Just... really really slower passed.

Since EA bought bioware, they dumbed down there games to the point that anybody with more then 100 IQ will find it irretating how... bland the game is. MAYBE its just that i have played to many games and have grown so nsotalgic that i'm unable to appreciate mainstream games anymore... but it will be hard to convince me that the storyline in the new bioware games are good.

Just saying... Buy kotor, it's one of the last good RPG's that bioware made.

synx
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
The entire Jedi Knight series is definitely worth checking out if you're a big SW fan.

puenboy
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Battlefront is always fun to play.

gothicsanctum
07-01-2011, 11:07 PM
If you liked KotOR then you could try KotOR 2

KOTOR 2 is crap mr. derka.

synx
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
KotOR 2 is great.

It's got bugs, and had a lot of content cut (Like EVERY game Obsidian has ever released, ever), but if you loved KotOR, you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing the second.