PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands With No Cd? PLZ HELP

(OCD)Mr.Taco
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Ok so my friend has had borderlands on pc for while and he lost the cd and now he wants to play it is there any way to play it without the cd?

Winterkid
01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Borrowing another copy from somewhere or sending away for a replacement disc. *shrug*

Latharion
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Purchase it from Steam? That way there will never be a CD requirement, and he can play it on any PC he likes.

nrnoble
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Borrowing another copy from somewhere or sending away for a replacement disc. *shrug*

This is the only options I can think of too. And I am not too sure they will replace a lost game disc simply because if you find the old one, then you have two copies of the game for the price of one.

You might get a better official answer over at gearbox's forums (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/).

Winterkid
01-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I am not too sure they will replace a lost game disc simply because if you find the old one, then you have two copies of the game for the price of one.

I meant that they would probably charge him for a replacement.

.O.
01-13-2011, 05:18 PM
can't you just activate borderlands on steam, then play it through steam?

nrnoble
01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
can't you just activate borderlands on steam, then play it through steam?

There are only a handful of games that work that way. Borderlands is not one of the games that can be bought as a retail game (on DVD) and then activated on steam.

Ciryaher
01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
there is no "legal" way to do it.

Nirguna
01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Gearbox may be willing to send a replacement CD if you can provide adequate proof of ownership... I'd be emailing/posting on their support forums myself...

nrnoble
01-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Gearbox may be willing to send a replacement CD if you can provide adequate proof of ownership... I'd be emailing/posting on their support forums myself...

Most likely for the same price it would cost to buy a new copy. How does a person prove they lost the CD forever? Just because its hidden under a pile of clothes for the past two weeks, doesn't mean it won't be found when mom comes in and demands that the room be cleaned up. :)

Redtide
01-15-2011, 09:47 PM
You wouldn't get a new CD key so I don't see it being a huge problem for them to charge for another CD.

nrnoble
01-15-2011, 11:41 PM
You wouldn't get a new CD key so I don't see it being a huge problem for them to charge for another CD.

That is true.... I had not thought of that. :)

Winterkid
01-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Used to be like 5 bux and postage.

Ciryaher
01-16-2011, 07:06 AM
I thought Borderlands has no CD key

Redtide
01-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I thought Borderlands has no CD key

Pretty much every retail PC game has a CD Key.

nrnoble
01-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Pretty much every retail PC game has a CD Key.

Yeah.... Largely in part because of multiplayer; the key is used to uniquely identify each copy in the MP game.

Winterkid
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I think the retail CD version has one, but I think it's only to verify it's a legit copy at install.

Redtide
01-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I think the retail CD version has one, but I think it's only to verify it's a legit copy at install.

I have the retail version of Borderlands and I can definitively say that it does have a CD key and it is necessary every time you install it. I think there's an activation limit as well if I'm not mistaken.

Thus, your CD key is really your right to play the game. The disc is just the data and is useless (legitimately) without a valid CD key. If you proved you owned the game then it would not be risky for them to send you another disc since if you were using a cracked key or something, you're probably pirating the game anyways.

Skcus_Rafez
01-17-2011, 02:38 AM
You could probably find a no-CD patch if you tried. I use one for BF2142 because my disc is scratched to the point of no repair.

nrnoble
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
You could probably find a no-CD patch if you tried. I use one for BF2142 because my disc is scratched to the point of no repair.

Has Gearbox issued a no CD Patch for the CD version of the game? And I am wondering if the CD version even needs the CD after install.

Winterkid
01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Gearbox wont issue a no-cd patch, and I highly doubt 2K will approve one if they did. In all likelihood, if you did find a no-cd patch, it would be a homemade one, and no idea if Securom would accept it without bugs.

It's against the EULA to bypass Securom most of the time. No idea about Borderlands EULA

ZeroSignal
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I almost always buy my games on Steam, I hate dealing with CDs.

Redtide
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Has Gearbox issued a no CD Patch for the CD version of the game? And I am wondering if the CD version even needs the CD after install.

No Gearbox has not released a no CD patch and yes the CD has to be in when you start the game for the CD check but you can take it out afterwards.

seseorang
01-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Replacement discs still cost. Last time I checked it was about 6 and postage. Why would they send one out for free?

It's probably just a disc in a sleeve, so you can put the disc in your jewel case/box to replace the one that got damaged/destroyed/entered another world as it got bored with this one (lost)