PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable minimum requirements

DJ_Heady
01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
these minimum requirements:

Processor: at least 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: at least Geforce 79XX or equivalent with DirectX 9, Shader Model 3.0, 256 MB VRAM, VGA resolution
DirectX®: DirectX 9
Hard Drive: 1 GB free disk space

for this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4wyuWaAqk

Are you f***ing serious?

That game does not even have 1 GB of data (most of its size is probably music) and it needs 2 GB of RAM?? What for?

Dual core processor? What for?

bäm!
01-14-2011, 01:03 PM
sloppy programming probably

brod
01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
If your PC doesn't meet those requirements you have bigger problems than being unable to run a game... such as being below the poverty line.

dontbyvista
01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
That isn't exactly something to joke about -_-

Also, many people purchased laptops, or stock PC's a few years before 2008 who thought a 2D game would...I dunno...not have such insane requirements and be able to run on at least PS2.0 cards? :/ It's a game friendly for casual players as well, and I doubt many casual players have a PC like that (And yes I know it isn't exactly new, but most casual gamers don't even have a graphics card. Probably an Intel chip which is good for 3D games before 2006 or 2D games)

I can just hope for a PS3 port.

M4nkoRid3r
01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
If your PC doesn't meet those requirements you have bigger problems than being unable to run a game... such as being below the poverty line.

Yea, I have to question whether a person should even bother PC gaming if they complain about minimum requirements being too much.

HDD size has a different function to RAM size too DJ_Heady, and you know dual cores have been known to help in processing power. What obsolete heap are you running to warrant such a topic?

dontbyvista
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Alright odd. Just for curiosity I tried the demo on my very ill-equipped PC and was able to run it just fine.

Maybe those are recommended specs for running the game at 120FPS at 1920x1080 or something. Or maybe it gets more graphically intensive later on.

SpectralShade
01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the people complaining about people complaining about un-needed system reqs need to get things in perspective.

The game in the video is no where near what should require those specs. Bloatware is just not good design. Period.

Besides that, I have a laptop I use when I'm abroad, and that one has quite a few years on it by now. Most of the games in my steam catalogue I can't even run on it, cause development teams have a habbit of ignoring the art of tuning code (oh how I miss the days of the C64 where coders did what they could to squeeze everything they could out of the hardware, instead of todays sloppy "They'll just need a bigger pc" attitude).

There are few gems I can play on it, though, like the puzzle quest series. But I can't help do a facepalm at the developers every time I install a simplistic looking 2d game on my laptop, and get told that I need some fancy-smanzy graphic card gimick to run the game, and the game in question looks worse than games I CAN run on the system which are 5 years old...

tr0n187
01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I think the people complaining about people complaining about un-needed system reqs need to get things in perspective.

The game in the video is no where near what should require those specs. Bloatware is just not good design. Period.

Besides that, I have a laptop I use when I'm abroad, and that one has quite a few years on it by now. Most of the games in my steam catalogue I can't even run on it, cause development teams have a habbit of ignoring the art of tuning code (oh how I miss the days of the C64 where coders did what they could to squeeze everything they could out of the hardware, instead of todays sloppy "They'll just need a bigger pc" attitude).

There are few gems I can play on it, though, like the puzzle quest series. But I can't help do a facepalm at the developers every time I install a simplistic looking 2d game on my laptop, and get told that I need some fancy-smanzy graphic card gimick to run the game, and the game in question looks worse than games I CAN run on the system which are 5 years old...

^This

I have a beefy I7 comp and could blow this game out of the water. HOWEVER the system requirements are quite steep for what I'm seeing from the game. Indeed it looks to be shoddy programming.

dontbyvista
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes to that.

And before anyone says "Well, you just need to upgrade. Unless you want Tetris graphics in 2011, lol."

There's a difference between better graphics, and poor optimizing.
Take the Source Engine for example. It looks pretty good and runs fast on a capable PC, yet scales itself down generously for those with older PC's. For example, those who still use PS2.0 cards or chipsets.

Anyway. the point is this game is 2D, doesn't have a lot of effects, and the requirements are beyond overestimated. Not trying to flame anyone here or start any argument by the way.

chris.j
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
The game runs just fine on my System that is way below the recommended specs. I am sure they just make the requirements that high so noone can complain if it has some frame drops. And if it doesn't run smooth you can always reduce the resolution or turn off some effects.

My suggestion is that you just download the demo like I did and see if it works for you!

M4nkoRid3r
01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
It's a quick bodge Xbox port, there is no denying optimisation is going to be shoddy. I have no problems with complaints about steep hardware requirements, especially for a 2D side scroll shooter.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but that wasn't the impression I had of the OP. He ♥♥♥♥♥ed about 1GB HDD space, 2GB of RAM and a dual core, asking what for - Like that hardware isn't normal (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) and as if he doesn't meet those requirements.

KingAlbrecht
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Runs perfectly smooth on my 13" acer notebook with ATI 5650.

DJ Cryotek
01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Some of us do a bit of "gaming" on our portables- I like having some neater low-end or older games on my netbook- so optimization does matter. If I buy this, I'm more likely to play it on the netbook than this.

Trying the demo tomorrow...

grouios
01-15-2011, 01:01 AM
well it asks for windows 7 or vista.
windows 7 need 1 gig of ram to start working so 2 gigs of ram to actualy use them...
vista needs 2 gigs of ram minimum and 3 to start using programs without lagging.
game needing 1 gig of hdd is wrong it needs 345.9 MB so say 512 MB of hdd.
when you get ingame you realise that the controls are smooth for a keyboard but you will need to redo some keys in order to play normally plus the help screen only shows a 360 controller with the keys to press and no mouse support as far as i know.
graphics card requirment I think they just picked up a random value and added it.
basicaly semi good console port its a great game and all but they did not really bother to see how compatible it is and how to make the controls better for anything other that a 360 controller.
game rocks but just ignore the specs

Nature333
01-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't think it's actually asking for that much. Dual @ 2GHz is pretty much what you would want for any PC running modern programs these days. The game renders some advanced audio effects as well as graphical. They're not overly obvious, nor do I think they're intended to be, but I think the designers probably felt they helped nail down basic experience. 2GHz x2 sounds just about right to run OS + background apps & game and maintain consistent performance. Also, I'm not sure what the requirements to record & store about 5 seconds of gameplay data would be, but you can't discount that either.

People need to stop complaining about decade old hardware and how it's not supported anymore. There aren't very many people that would actually choose to go back to the way that apps or the web were back then; it's innevitable that things move forward.

RavN
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Try not to be so insensitive. I would rather be poor than be rude.

I can run this game fine on my laptop if I want. However, the issue here is that everyone should be able to run a 2d side scroller just fine. What about all the people on netbooks? You must realize that most people who are not into gaming purchase regular laptops which have integrated graphics cards. Also, many low spec desktops might not even run this game.

It seems a weird business decision to alienate potential customers. Torchlight is an example of scalability done right, which undoubtably helped it sell over 500,000 copies on PC. Its probably just a matter of sloppy coding in Zeit to be honest.

e3borealis
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I remember that 79XX card and elder have another shader model, for example, Saboteur and Metro 2033 run with graphical bugs on cards below 79XX.

dontbyvista
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Just thought I'd share this quote form one of the devs after I notified them about the steep requirements for this game, and other issues such as screen resolution problems.

You are right about the Minimum Requirements. The Steam page is asking for a lot better system than you actually need to play the game.

In the menus at the bottom the game always shows you what keys to press. You also have a key config menu where you can setup two alternative controls. There are only two places in the game where an Xbox controler is displayed. Also the one tip you just said was missed in localization.

Screen resolution is not capped at 1280x720. If you don't see higher resolutions the graphics device does not say that it supports higher resolutions. You could try to update your drivers or to manually enter any resolution you think your computer should support. You can find the config file at "[user]/My Documents/Saved Games/Zeit2/GameOptions.xml" and change the following two lines and save the file before starting the game again:
<ResolutionWidth>1024</ResolutionWidth>
<ResolutionHeight>768</ResolutionHeight>

As you already wrote below the game supports 4:3,5:4,16:9 and 16:10 resolutions.

BlueDraconis
01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Today, games with this level of minimum requirements is normal.

However, a 2D shooter game having higher minimum requirements than games like Mass Effect 2 is not.

The developer/publisher should change the requirements on the store page to match the actual requirements that can run the game.

BlueTrin
01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Yea, I have to question whether a person should even bother PC gaming if they complain about minimum requirements being too much.

HDD size has a different function to RAM size too DJ_Heady, and you know dual cores have been known to help in processing power. What obsolete heap are you running to warrant such a topic?

Why not make it a game I could play on a laptop ?

talkingwires
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
It's a quick bodge Xbox port, there is no denying optimisation is going to be shoddy.Oh, well there's the answer then. PC games built on XNA usually have very bloated hardware requirements.

I don't understand all the comments from people mocking the OP not meeting the minimum requirements. Not everyone in this forum is some teenage kid whose mommy and daddy buy the the latest $3000 gaming rig every year, or are living a bachelor life-style where you got plenty of disposable income. Some of us enjoy gaming, but have real-world adult financial responsibilities that preclude us from throwing hundreds of dollars a year at a system to keep up with the Jones's.

The game looks like it would be at home on the Dreamcast, and those requirements are crazy.

brod
01-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Since you've assumed that I'm a teenage kid I'll go ahead and give the response that a teenage kid would, as it saves me some time.

QQ more.

SpectralShade
01-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Since you've assumed that I'm a teenage kid I'll go ahead and give the response that a teenage kid would, as it saves me some time.

QQ more.

I guess if you have nothing more intelligent to add, then you can always do that. :rolleyes:

Not that it adds anything to the discussion either, though.

My gaming rig can play any game I got at maxed out settings without a hitch. I still think it's silly to make bloated and excessive requirements on a simplistic looking game. I can find games that are several years older that have better graphics and lesser requirements AND that I can run on my aging laptop for when I'm travelling.

Hell, back when I was playing World of warcraft I could even play that on my laptop with pretty decent settings.

Bloatware is bloatware. Stop trying to defend shoddy PC-programming.

MrMordof
01-20-2011, 06:39 AM
There are some features (like Pixel Shader 3.0) etc that only come with higher up cards. Based on the way the game looks and the effects it has, i would not be surprised in the least to find that they've used technology only available in these newer cards. It has nothing to do with actually requiring the full speed of that card.

As for the other requirements, it is possible to get a lot happening at one time. Too much collision detection (not to mention being able to triple (or quadrouple) those requiements in any given situation with time travel and then throwing a shockwave in plus a special weapon would spike up processor requirements - to what degree i have no idea. likely not to what they're listing it as for minimum though I haven't tested.

As for the RAM requirements, that still has me guessing..

TB_BSG
01-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone,

the requirements stated on the Steam store page are higher than what you actually need to play the game, but we could not check the game on every possible configuration. Look at it more as a recommended system rather than a minimum system requirement. You don't need 2GB ram to play the game but as always it helps to make sure no other programs are running while playing.

The best way to find out if your system is strong enough for the game is downloading the demo version and just trying it out yourself.

A couple of reasons mentioned in this thread like advanced shaders, XNA and of course the time travel mechanic have to be taken into account looking at the system requirements.

Feel free to post your own system specs here to show others what computers you use to run the game.

Thanks your Brightside Games Team