PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott's Prometheus Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Zero_Vector
06-07-2012, 07:22 AM
There was just so many odd bits in it that seemed forced and so many plot holes and silly mistakes. Anyone notice the main character not wearing gloves while outside? I mean, shouldn't she die???

lol yeah, there were many silly mistakes like that. For example how the hell did punk looking scottish guy and his buddy get lost in the alien ship when they have a god damn GPS strapped to their arms and he's the one who brought along the scanning orbs in the first place?

Norek
06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm seeing it tonight. Can't wait. :D

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. :)

Larry1212
06-07-2012, 07:28 AM
lol yeah, there were many silly mistakes like that. For example how the hell did punk looking scottish guy and his buddy get lost in the alien ship when they have a god damn GPS strapped to their arms and he's the one who brought along the scanning orbs in the first place?

Haha, yeah. It was pretty dumb or how about the fact that they both decided to hide in a room with weird goo leaking all around them and that same geologist/whatshisface thought it was a good idea to pet what looked like a giant ♥♥♥♥♥?

Only two "horror" worthy moments in it.

Warhorse
06-07-2012, 07:40 AM

Add into this. On the bridge of the ship there was a massive 3D map of the structure and it showed the locations of all the crew, yet somehow the captain (or anyone else on the bridge) didn't notice 2 of the crew were on there own? - then when he did (after people noticed 2 of the crew hadn't returned) instead of staying on the bridge to make sure they were ok (as any normal person would), he went off after one of the worst chat up lines ever (that made no sence in the movie AT ALL).

The whole movie was full of things like that, things that simply made no sence.

Norek
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Only two "horror" worthy moments in it.

This film was not a horror film.

MrChris
06-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Add into this. On the bridge of the ship there was a massive 3D map of the structure and it showed the locations of all the crew, yet somehow the captain (or anyone else on the bridge) didn't notice 2 of the crew were on there own? - then when he did (after people noticed 2 of the crew hadn't returned) instead of staying on the bridge to make sure they were ok (as any normal person would), he went off after one of the worst chat up lines ever (that made no sence in the movie AT ALL).

The whole movie was full of things like that, things that simply made no sence.

I think it was more of a case of nobody was watching, I also thought it was a bit weird that they were all casual about it and not really paying attention whatsoever to what was happening with those two and were all off ignoring them, the Captain was off banging Charlize Theron though so can't exactly blame him

Aemony
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
There was just so many odd bits in it that seemed forced and so many plot holes and silly mistakes. Anyone notice the main character not wearing gloves while outside? I mean, shouldn't she die???

I'm not entirely certain that is the case. Breathing said atmosphere for more than two minutes is deadly, yes, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the atmosphere is toxic for your skin as long as you don't have any open wounds.

I thought that was the most immersion breaking plot development in the film. Possible explanation could be that the imminent storm was messing up with their connection to the onboard computers which stored the geographical data.

Haha, yeah. It was pretty dumb or how about the fact that they both decided to hide in a room with weird goo leaking all around them and that same geologist/whatshisface thought it was a good idea to pet what looked like a giant ♥♥♥♥♥?

Not to mention that some crew members obviously thought the barrels looked dangerous, yet they didn't mention this to the other members... Teamwork much?

Blackgammon
06-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I didn't like it... I feel so sad. :(

Had zero to do with the actual Alien film and was in no way a prequel, more a spin off. I really wasn't impressed and it wasn't much of a horror.

It wasn't as good as I thought it to be, I reckoned it was a reboot, because you know, the xenomorph is kinda different looking, instead of a second tongue, it kinda has a second face, and it's head is more pointed, friends argued that it was because it wasn't a 'true' xenomorph, only the missing link between them and us.

But I agree, there were tonnes of times when I swear Charlize Theron did not have any common sense AT ALL.

Norek
06-07-2012, 10:25 AM
It is not a reboot.

Aemony
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
It wasn't as good as I thought it to be, I reckoned it was a reboot, because you know, the xenomorph is kinda different looking, instead of a second tongue, it kinda has a second face, and it's head is more pointed, friends argued that it was because it wasn't a 'true' xenomorph, only the missing link between them and us.

But I agree, there were tonnes of times when I swear Charlize Theron did not have any common sense AT ALL.

It's important to recognize that from what we can gather, xenomorphs take on a certain set of features, look and abilities from their host. The host of this xenomorph in particular wasn't a human and therefor shouldn't be expected to look like one either.

Further on, it's more than possible that this was merely one strand of the deadly virus they experimented on. It's well within reason that they had multiple installations trying out multiple strands of the same virus on either the same planet, or on different planets.

So it's possible that the virus/xenomorph Prometheus discovered wasn't the same as in Alien.

tibetanpunk
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
It was a good film. I really enjoyed it. I am not really sure what the significance of the opening scene was though.

i9urd
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Like I already said, I did enjoy the film. However, there are two places in the film where it feels like scenes were missing.

Also, it just got ridiculous after the point where Weyland is being attended to by a medical team that came out of nowhere. The surviving characters' reaction to him were on the level of someone dropping their pen by accident.

The_End254
06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Like I already said, I did enjoy the film. However, there are two places in the film where it feels like scenes were missing.

Also, it just got ridiculous after the point where Weyland is being attended to by a medical team that came out of nowhere. The surviving characters' reaction to him were on the level of someone dropping their pen by accident.

Scott did admit stuff was cut and in the scene in particular it really showed.

supernaut
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
First impression...

Weird

I'd like to talk more right ♥♥♥♥ing now but I have to get some sleep. :(

Gordon He-Man
06-07-2012, 03:24 PM
First impression...

Weird

I'd like to talk more right ♥♥♥♥ing now but I have to get some sleep. :(

I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from...

For Sihts and giggles, I'll add this link...

Goodnight!

http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1591422

Porcupeth
06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
In what sense of the word "weird" are people talking about? Cause i like weird. If it's the kind of weird i'm thinking about.. or.. ?

Larry1212
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
In what sense of the word "weird" are people talking about? Cause i like weird. If it's the kind of weird i'm thinking about.. or.. ?

I believe it's the "disappointed" weird.

It's not what you expect it to be. It's not Alien at all.

BadBeat
06-08-2012, 06:56 AM
It was a good film. I really enjoyed it. I am not really sure what the significance of the opening scene was though.

Well, that opening scene was the birth of humanity. Engineer drinks some stuff that makes his body break down into component DNA that, somehow, gives rise to humans.

Anyways, I was really rather unimpressed with it to be honest. It felt less like a film and more like a Q&A session about the extended Alien universe.

Also, horror movies generally work by having one single threat that escalates, becoming more dangerous as the film goes on. Take Alien: From a single incapacitated crew member, to a small alien that kills a crew member, to a big alien that has to be fought and finally to a big alien that *has* to be run from.

In Prometheus, I personally felt that lots of mini-threats kept cropping up, followed by them swiftly being solved, breaking any possible rise in tension. Seriously, loads of spoilers!A *Super-Dangerous* storm that disappears a bit later; Infected crew member goes beserk, kills a bunch of people but is stopped a minute later; EEEEEK! It's growing in me, what will I-ah I can just get it removed safely; OH NO! the ship is off to destroy Ear-oh wait, it's crashed now; ARRRRRGGGGG, it's coming for yo-oh you opened a door.

frankly, I think the whole "Keeping everything a mystery for as long as possible" thing really hurt the film.

Also, what was with the robot David infecting that scientist? That really bugged me. For the entire time before and after, he's pretty much made out to be an emotionless automaton who only follows orders. I suppose you could argue Weyland gave him the order to do it, except that Weyland didn't know about this weapon at all and even if he did, infecting a crew member with a foriegn contaminent puts him very much at risk, entirely at cross-purposes with his plan to live forever. I'm not kidding, that really, really bugged me, especially given that so much of the movie was based around that one point.

Oh and btw, this is the first 3D movie I've seen and I was personally less than impressed with that as well. It had this tendency to seem to switch between 2D for panoramic/landscape views then suddenly you've got a chair sticking out to your face. I found it *totally* immersion breaking. Also, I found people moving had a tendency to occasionally, sort of, blur.

Btw, that blurring was very, very, very, very, VERY noticable in the Spiderman trailer before-hand. If that was an example of what the new Spiderman movie will be like in 3D, I'd advise avoiding watching it in 3D like the Alien Plague.

Norek
06-08-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm not kidding, that really, really bugged me, especially given that so much of the movie was based around that one point.

Did you not pay attention to the conversation that he was leading with Holloway prior to infecting him? One of the themes in this film was the relationship between the Creator and the Created. Maybe David wanted to feel like a Creator at this point. Maybe he wanted to see what it is to be a God.

What I liked about the film is that it gives you a lot of food for thought. You can have amazing discussions with friends after you see it, and that's what its all about.

Zero_Vector
06-08-2012, 07:16 AM
As usual, me and my friends specifically chose to see the 2D version. I just prefer 2D, and it's cheaper.

I think the only point in David infecting the scientist was just to see what the stuff did, maybe he was asked to do it or maybe he did it on his own, but I don't think there was any grand scheme beyond "research". We know that Scott prefers his Android to be nutty, whereas Cameron likes them logical :p

Demon Wraith
06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Also, what was with the robot David infecting that scientist? That really bugged me. For the entire time before and after, he's pretty much made out to be an emotionless automaton who only follows orders. I suppose you could argue Weyland gave him the order to do it, except that Weyland didn't know about this weapon at all and even if he did, infecting a crew member with a foriegn contaminent puts him very much at risk, entirely at cross-purposes with his plan to live forever. I'm not kidding, that really, really bugged me, especially given that so much of the movie was based around that one point.

David is not emotionless. He's just quieter. He infected Holloway because Holloway took pleasure in mocking him. And because he had a thing for Elisabeth. He's constantly giving attention to her. He watches her dreams and its the only ones we see. He confides in her that he can do this. He compliments her determination. He holds on to her necklace personally. The interesting thing about David is that he probably doesn't even know he has emotions.

His emotional cues are all over the place. He starts the movie bored. He's trying to imitate characters from films he thinks are cool. He's vindictive with Holloway. Obsessive with Lisbeth. And when he sees the holographic map, he is simply in awe.

And now for the ultimate mindbleep.
The Engineer only started attacking after David talked to it. What did he say? He knew they intended to destroy earth, or that's what he believed. Yet he never warns anyone beyond a passing mention to Elisabeth. And he wanted to take one of the ships, loaded with the biological agent, back to earth.

"Don't we all want to see our parents die?" He's not talking about just Weyland, but all of humanity. Remember the talk with Holloway. If you found out the only reason you were made was because they could. He's especially not happy that his father dismisses him on such terms as not having a soul.

Except Lisbeth is different. Perhaps he sees her fondness for her father, the care they have for one another in her dreams, as the relatioship he wishes he had. He sees the part of humanity worth saving in her.

scojer 2.0
06-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm scared of this thread now. I haven't seen the movie yet! So tempting to highlight the spoilers... must leave thread...

tibetanpunk
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
The one this that bugged me in retrospect was that geologist dude coming back to life for no apparent reason and becoming some kind of undead zombie thing...It was very reminiscent of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', but didn't really make any sense within the context of Prometheus. It seemed kind of random to me.

The opening scene also didn't make much sense...Was that them leaving Earth in the distant past? Why did that one dude stay behind and disintegrate himself in such a ritualistic way?

Then it went straight discovering the cave paintings...Then basically straight to the planet...The set up happened way too abruptly I think. It could have been a lot better laid out.

Of course, the open ending left you with no clue as to what was going on or the reasons behind anything.

Also, I think that the only properly developed character was David. Lisbeth was just the stereotypical 'Ripley' kind of character. The rest had very little depth, so it was hard to care about them when it got to crunch time

Demon Wraith
06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
stuff

He went face down in black goo.

Prometheus giving fire to man Or rather, giving birth to animal/human life. The motivations for anything the Engineers did is not really known. But looking at the Prometheus myth, he was probably wanting to give earth a gift. This may also explain why the Engineers "changed their mind." Prometheus wasn't supposed to do that.

marie pavie
06-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm scared of this thread now. I haven't seen the movie yet! So tempting to highlight the spoilers... must leave thread...

Same here.

TimM
06-08-2012, 09:06 AM
As the reviewers said accurately. It was done better in the earlier movies.
What we see in this movie, we have seen in the earlier movies. Still a decent flick though.

But not as awesome as the originals, of course.

BadBeat
06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
David is not emotionless. He's just quieter. He infected Holloway because Holloway took pleasure in mocking him. And because he had a thing for Elisabeth. He's constantly giving attention to her. He watches her dreams and its the only ones we see. He confides in her that he can do this. He compliments her determination. He holds on to her necklace personally. The interesting thing about David is that he probably doesn't even know he has emotions.

His emotional cues are all over the place. He starts the movie bored. He's trying to imitate characters from films he thinks are cool. He's vindictive with Holloway. Obsessive with Lisbeth. And when he sees the holographic map, he is simply in awe.

The Engineer only started attacking after David talked to it. What did he say? He knew they intended to destroy earth, or that's what he believed. Yet he never warns anyone beyond a passing mention to Elisabeth. And he wanted to take one of the ships, loaded with the biological agent, back to earth.

"Don't we all want to see our parents die?" He's not talking about just Weyland, but all of humanity. Remember the talk with Holloway. If you found out the only reason you were made was because they could. He's especially not happy that his father dismisses him on such terms as not having a soul.

Except Lisbeth is different. Perhaps he sees her fondness for her father, the care they have for one another in her dreams, as the relatioship he wishes he had. He sees the part of humanity worth saving in her.

A fair point. Everyone in-film was so insistent that he had no emotions/soul and only followed orders that I took it at face value. I didn't give it too much thought as I was spending all my time being constantly distracted by the odd 3D. :P

Gordon He-Man
06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
It is not a reboot.

...oooh, but it is.

Norek
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
...oooh, but it is.

No, it isn't.

IgnoreThisPlox
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
No, it isn't.

ooooh, but it is but it isn't.

Demon Wraith
06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
It's more of a sidequel. It's the Universal Soldier to Blade Runner.

Aemony
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM

All of this.

As for David's interest in Elisabeth, I think it might also have something to do with them sharing a certain interest in their "creators", so to speak. David knows why he was created and seems to hide a deep hatred towards humanity, or at least how they view him as a mere lifeless object with no soul (as his 'father' puts it). Elisabeth similarly are hunting the idea of humans being created, and she hopes to meet these creators to know the reason of our existence. It's more than possible that David became interested in her for this very reason, as he can see quite the similarities between them.

Though what I probably loved the most of the movie was how it handled David's personality. When Weyland introduces himself to the crew he refers to David as his son whereas David lights up with a smile in response to this. It's possible David did this since not only was he suggested to be on a higher level than Weyland's real daughter, but it also somewhat made him more alive. However when Weyland continues with saying that the only fault of David is that he has no soul (since he isn't "alive"), we can see the previous proud and happy smile turn in a saddened one. Already in this scene we can see that David are quite capable of emotions, which is built upon further into the movie.

Also, I find it curous that very few seemed to notice that David have no regard for human life whatsoever? The film was filled with scenes where he showed quite the disregard, if not even directly hostile attitude. For example, when he says "isn't it the dream of all children that their parents should die?" in one of the scenes. And when they're within the alien structure the first time he opens doors, executes commands and pretty much do all kind of potentially dangerous stuff without caring for the rest of the crew. While certain parts of this can be attributed to his orders from Weyland, this direct and clearly visible behaviour of not caring is more likely caused by some sort of hidden hatred, or complete disregard, for humanity. Had he merely acted upon the orders given to him without any underlying emotions whatsoever he would've ensured a friendly relationship to the whole crew, since he doesn't gain anything from getting on their bad side.

In my opinion, Michael Fassbender's portrayal of David was one of the highlights of the movie.

Gordon He-Man
06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
It's more of a sidequel. It's the Universal Soldier to Blade Runner.

I believe you mean 'Soldier'...:eek:

Demon Wraith
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I believe you mean 'Soldier'...:eek:

Dang, you're right. It's really embarrassing when my esoteric trivia has to be corrected.

Thanks.

Vir
06-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Will Ridley Scott make a follow up to Prometheus story?

supernaut
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I updated the OP with my thoughts, don't read it if you haven't see it. I didn't use spoiler tags.

Seph64
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
It's important to recognize that from what we can gather, xenomorphs take on a certain set of features, look and abilities from their host. The host of this xenomorph in particular wasn't a human and therefor shouldn't be expected to look like one either.

Further on, it's more than possible that this was merely one strand of the deadly virus they experimented on. It's well within reason that they had multiple installations trying out multiple strands of the same virus on either the same planet, or on different planets.

So it's possible that the virus/xenomorph Prometheus discovered wasn't the same as in Alien.

The "Engineers" seem to share similar DNA with humans (although, they are bigger and strong), but I buy the entire "this Xenomorph" is not the same as the one in Alien theory, as such, the face hugger IS ♥♥♥♥ING HUGE! And the resulting Xeno burst out fully grown. Which must be painful to experience before dying several hours before chest burst, heck, I'd imagine this type of Xeno would normally die before it can burst out since a lot of the species it would find would not have the body mass to hold it in for the entire gestation period.

And the way the Face Hugger is formed is weird. The DNA component infects a male host, and then that male host has to have intercourse with a female before it dies (due to the immune system fighting it off due to incompatibilities), and then the women gives birth to the hugger, which in turn probably (if it doesn't kill her during birth) hugs the face of the person who brought it in to this world, and then, well...

Which is probably why this way of xenomorph creation never came to fruitition, because it seems all the "Engineers" are male, and thus, they all die off before a Face Hugger gets created.

LV426 seems to have the most successful version of this species, Face Huggers come from Eggs, and the chest burster is not fully grown when it is ready. It is quite possible that the Engineers on this planet were ready to set sail to Earth when something went horribly wrong.

Or it could be a different species, and we're only assuming it's a Xenomorph because of it's black skin?

I loved this film, there's a lot of quirks, but that didn't distract me from my enjoyment of the film. I am so glad I stayed away from this thread (once I realized it released elsewhere before the US) til I saw it.

shawn·m
06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I can't believe Scott directed and produced this retched turkey. Writing? Acting? Directing? It's almost as if Scott, the writers and the actors all aimed to flip the audience off. In my book, the entire troupe just earned themselves a colossal set of black eyes. . . If you absolutely must see it, wait for Netflix.

If Prometheus does well, there will be a sequel. . .Riiiiiight.

i9urd
06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Will Ridley Scott make a follow up to Prometheus story?

Don't be silly, that is Cameron's job!

Gordon He-Man
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
What's the tracking on this?

supernaut
06-09-2012, 03:29 AM
What's the tracking on this?

What do you mean?

Norek
06-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Good read, supernaut. I don't agree with every word, but it's a good review nonetheless.

supernaut
06-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Thanks, Norek.

IgnoreThisPlox
06-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Isn't the importance of the first scene to show Scott's interpretation of how life was created on earth?

Sorry I haven't read some of the new posts in the thread, but I remember seeing earlier posts wondering how about the first scene.

Saw it last night 2D, I thought it was a really good sci-fi movie 8.5/10, but an average horror, Alien-type movie 6.5/10 if you came in expecting a horror film like Alien.

Having read earlier reviews, I came expecting a sci-fi/fantasy-esque film and walked out really happy.

CoffeeCrazy
06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Spoiler alert. Ridley Scott is full of riddles.

I'm left with more questions than answers. Wtf did I just see.

Lozer
06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Spoiler alert. Ridley Scott is full of riddles.

I'm left with more questions than answers. Wtf did I just see.

ask away

MADDOGGE
06-09-2012, 12:27 PM
My son's taking me to see it tomorrow as an early Fathers Day gift. Good or bad I'm still looking forward to it. Anything has to be better than Aliens 3 & 4 or the AvP movies even if this one doesn't have Ripley's aliens in it. At least once I've seen it, I can safely read the Prometheus threads.

marie pavie
06-09-2012, 12:38 PM
At least once I've seen it, I can safely read the Prometheus threads.

Same here. I can't even read supernaut's write up yet! :eek: :(

TangledThorns
06-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I walked away from this moving knowing what I already know, Damon Lindelof should not be allowed to write for film or television again.

To figure out what everything meant in the film is pointless when Damon Lindelof is involved.

TangledThorns
06-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Don't be silly, that is Cameron's job!

I prequel to Aliens about Hadley's Hope would be an interesting film!

Seph64
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I prequel to Aliens about Hadley's Hope would be an interesting film!

Why would we need a prequel about Hadley's Hope? Do we really need a movie to hand hold us through the events that occurred between Newt's father getting face ♥♥♥♥♥ and the arrival of the Marines? Especially during this era where prequels and sequels are horrible?

IgnoreThisPlox
06-09-2012, 02:44 PM
I walked away from this moving knowing what I already know, Damon Lindelof should not be allowed to write for film or television again.

To figure out what everything meant in the film is pointless when Damon Lindelof is involved.

What things did you find pointless to figure out?

TangledThorns
06-09-2012, 03:10 PM
What things did you find pointless to figure out?

Too many to point out but have already been discussed in this thread.

Lozer
06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Too many to point out but have already been discussed in this thread.

compelling argument...:rolleyes:

supernaut
06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I usually don't read that many full reviews, apart from Ebert and looking at Kermode clips, mostly just the excerpts found on RT or Metacritic, but now I've read a couple from Slashfilm and I more or less agree with everything in the following review, though not to the same degree, since the author rips it to pieces and gives it a 4/10. Doesn't include major spoilers unless highlighted, otherwise it's mild spoilers here and there.

http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-review-big-small-beginnings-small-beginnings/

I wasn't too hung up on the plot holes, just the general lack of focus. If you want to go in a safe direction, which the film does in a lot of ways, choosing a theme or asking an important question and building a cohesive narrative around that, is more proven than throwing a lot of ♥♥♥♥ to a wall and hope that something sticks.

Seph64
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
My opinion on the lack of focus is that it seems a bit condensed. Like it was supposed to be a 2 or 3 parter, condensed in to 1 Two and a Half hour movie.

Maybe it should have been a 2 to 3 parter, if it'd make it a better (series). Or maybe it was, but the publisher didn't want to green light a movies series based on it (Prometheus) being a prequel to an already established series.

IgnoreThisPlox
06-09-2012, 04:44 PM
In terms of story, I'd rather a film like Prometheus leave mysteries/room for differing opinions and answers created by the audience rather than being given all the answers as many of the new sci-fi movies have done. Yes, there are some plot holes in the movie, but the other stuff that people are getting angry at for the film not addressing can be left to the audience's interpretation.
A film that leaves people creating reasons and guessing what explanations make sense and what doesn't is better than being given explanations by the movie and then realizing they don't make sense (A popular, recent example of this would be Inception)

Aemony
06-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I've heard that up towards 30 minutes were cut from the movie, but if this is true or not I don't know. The opening scene in particular seemed to have a much longer sequence at first which involved a ritual where some old of those Engineer dudes hands a younger one the vial of black goo which we later saw him drink. This were supposed to highlight their belief in creation through destruction (a theme mentioned all throughout the movie).

Zombie_GMan
06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
So I went to see this movie and I got scared at the part with the snake thing in the goo.So we left the theater because I suck. :(

Could someone in a PM tell me the rest of the movie?

I feel horrible now.

Seph64
06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
So I went to see this movie and I got scared at the part with the snake thing in the goo.So we left the theater because I suck. :(

Could someone in a PM tell me the rest of the movie?

I feel horrible now.

No, suck it up, be a man and go to the theater again to watch it. :p

Numnums
06-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Just got back and all i can say is i am disappointed.

I don't mind movies that let you fill in the blanks but I shouldn't have to fill in the plot holes as well. I felt that it was trying to have some great meaning but just could not focus enough to deliver.

The whole drive back me and my brother just kept going wtf.....trying to rationalize some of the direction the movie took. I don't think we were the only ones. A woman sitting next to me told me she saw Alien in theaters and was so happy to be watching this movie........after the movie she stood up and looked at me and said "well......that was a waste".

tibetanpunk
06-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I've heard that up towards 30 minutes were cut from the movie, but if this is true or not I don't know. The opening scene in particular seemed to have a much longer sequence at first which involved a ritual where some old of those Engineer dudes hands a younger one the vial of black goo which we later saw him drink. This were supposed to highlight their belief in creation through destruction (a theme mentioned all throughout the movie).

Cue directors cut...

I don't find it hard to believe that a lot of it was cut out because in a lot of places, I kind of felt like it was moving too fast.

The film could easily have been another 30-45 minutes longer and handled the initial set-up a lot better, while also giving other characters a bit more screen time to help the audience identify with them a bit better.

When they had the bit with the medical pod, that was the complete opposite of subtle. It was so predictable then that it would be needed later and was a big part of the plot.

When the captain, and the two other dudes went kamikaze on the engineer ship, I didn't really feel anything for them...and their deaths kind of needless and seemed more convenient to the plot than anything else (though they could have just as easily died like Charlize...as in, not running sideways) :/

I dunno...The more I think about the film, the less I seem to think of it...I did enjoy it at the time though.

If they release a directors cut I'll probably give it another watch and see if it is any better.

Zefar
06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/08/vlog-6-8-12-prometheus/ <-- Over an hour long and full with spoilers.

If the movie was good by his standard I'd go watch it but when he didn't like it I watched the whole review of it.

The thing that turns me off the most is that these people in the movie are stupid. I just don't like that. Same reason I don't really watch zombie movies anymore. Most of them have idiots that screw it up for others.

He also brings up a lot of stupid things the people do and good lord do they do stupid things.
HOW can some astronauts be allowed to bring with them WEED?

I'll give it a rent when it's out on DVD and see what it is like. But not going to the cinema for it. I had hoped it would be somewhat like Alien 2 but sounds like it isn't.

supernaut
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
I hope Red Letter Media has a go at it, either on Half in the Bag or a full review. :)

Aemony
06-10-2012, 03:19 AM
The thing that turns me off the most is that these people in the movie are stupid. I just don't like that. Same reason I don't really watch zombie movies anymore. Most of them have idiots that screw it up for others.

Yep, most characters are a bunch of morons and suffer from lack of communication. I mean, probably half of the dangers in the movie could've been avoided if the characters would just open their god damn mouths and warn each others of the potential dangers they've found/seen/whatever.

Seph64
06-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Now that I think about it, I do have one major issue with the movie.

That it follows the cliché that the creature they were looking for is actually evil, and needs to be stopped, or humanity is doooooooooomed.

For once, can the entities that these movies feature not be genocidal ♥♥♥♥♥♥bags? And does anyone know what David said to the Engineer that set him off in the first place? Or was David speaking some made up language made for the movie?

MADDOGGE
06-10-2012, 01:57 PM
First off let me say I did have a good time with the movie. It was beautiful, the art fantastic, special effects great. 7.5/7.8.

Other than that though, I'm not really sure what to say about this movie. Confusion more than anything. It's not what I was led to believe it would be by what I had seen in trailers(always dangerous to believe trailer) prior to release. Honestly I expected a very terrifying movie on par with Alien, even though I knew going in that this was not an "Alien" movie.

This movie at times just plods along. The trailer gave a false impression of frenetic action. The characters being strangers are very shallow for the most part. The captain and the company lady seem to come to life there for a short time then it's like switched off. From the time of the operation, I had a really hard time taking anything else Naomi's character did seriously major surgery and all that running around? Pleazzzzzz.:rolleyes:

The music kept using that same rif that reminded me of Star Trek's music. It was funny and disconcerting at the same time.

Lozer
06-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Yep, most characters are a bunch of morons and suffer from lack of communication. I mean, probably half of the dangers in the movie could've been avoided if the characters would just open their god damn mouths and warn each others of the potential dangers they've found/seen/whatever.

what exactly could have been avoided? most of the dangers were already known by David but purposely kept quiet.

Aemony
06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
what exactly could have been avoided? most of the dangers were already known by David but purposely kept quiet.

Remember how David warned one of the guys about the fluid coming out from the vials the first time they entered the room with the massive head? Neither him nor the other crew man (was it Charlie?) passed it along to the rest of the crew, which had the ripple effect of the geologist and that rock dude being obviously ignorant of it later when they got stuck in the alien structure.

Then we have the very event that put those two in the situation to begin with, where they didn't find their way. How can it be that it never occured to them to contact the ship and get directions?

Further on, when Shaw, David, Charlie and the last fourth crew member comes out during the storm they notice that the big truck/bus they arrived on had already left (Shaw comments on this), and only two small vehicles remained. When they drove back to the ship we clearly see that the small vehicles can only carry two people, one driving and one in the back. Now, why would the driver of the bigger truck/bus leave without taking into account that there are 6 people remaining in the structure, yet the 2 small vehicles can only carry a total of 4 together? The driver's lack of communication to the rest of the away crew effectively stranded the two people in the structure to begin with...

More signs of lack of communication can be seen further into the movie but most of them involves crew members who seemingly vanish and such. For example, the two crew members who trid to sedate Shaw and prep her for cryostasis? What happened with them? Also, why didn't Shaw mention the "dead" alien in the medbay to anyone? And why did nobody ask her about the wound and stitches she now carries?

One might call it nitpicking, but I'd expect a scientific project of this magnitude and which involves what might possibly be the very first discovery of alien nature, to follow some sort of protocol and ensure vital information is handed out to everyone.

The way the crew in Prometheus acted, one could assume they are on a vacation cruise heading for some obscure, but very relaxing, paradise island.

ADD:
I'm not entirely sure about this one, but did the crew who escorted Weyland at the end of the movie carry any guns at all? I don't think so (but it's possible that I'm wrong) and if that's the case then I just can't fathom why they would go in unarmed back into the structure that already cost them the life of 2 crew members, whos' deaths still remains much of a mystery.

marie pavie
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-review-big-small-beginnings-small-beginnings/
Prometheus may seem like more sophisticated fare, with a promise of greater significance deeply entrenched in the oft-mentioned subject matter (i.e., uncovering the origin of human life), but the movie utterly fails at tying its ideas and its monstrous happenings together. Despite feigning interest in probing life’s most pertinent mysteries, the film has nothing to say. It asks — literally asks, aloud — weighty questions without any interest in exploring the answers. The film expects you to do the heavy lifting, as though it should be rewarded for even daring to ask the questions to begin with. What is the meaning of life? Where do we come from? Why do we believe what we believe? What makes us human? What drives us to find the answers to these questions?

Well?

Yes, I’m asking you.

What, am I supposed to contribute something to the conversation? I’m the one who asked the questions. That’s, like, the hardest part. Because naturally, nobody watching Prometheus has ever considered these questions before. This is literally the first time anyone has thought to breach such existential territory, save for stoners, coffee shop philosophers, and everyone who has ever lived since the beginning of time.
Lol
It's quite out of fashion to have these sort of expectations regarding film. Sitting at the local, jawing with your bud's about how unknowable reality is, while the girls are all talking with somebody more interesting is more the film analysis now.
I don't know yet if I'll agree with this reviewer or not, but I do think intellectual expectation of film is really low now. Like Inception (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7iL_jLedxE) being touted as the thinking mans sci-fi? As if following a convoluted plot is intellectualism?
Anyway, I can watch it for gorgeous cinematography, & whatever else will be gravy (http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/gravy).

MADDOGGE
06-10-2012, 07:21 PM
[SPOILER]
I'm not entirely sure about this one, but did the crew who escorted Weyland at the end of the movie carry any guns at all? I don't think so (but it's possible that I'm wrong) and if that's the case then I just can't fathom why they would go in unarmed back into the structure that already cost them the life of 2 crew members, whos' deaths still remains much of a mystery.Hopefully if we ever do achieve interstellar capability the people running OP's aren't the ones that think foolishly that technologically advanced aliens automatically == morally advanced and peaceful. I'd rather be carrying an arsenal including nukes and never have to use it than run across belligerent aliens and have nothing but a few pistols, a flamethrower and harsh language to use against them.

PS: After all, even if all intelligent aliens turn out to be peaceful that doesn't mean there isn't native lower lifeforms that aren't dangerous or deadly.

On the first trip into the structure one of the guys wanted to bring a flamethrower just in case, but was told by Naomi's peace and love character he could not. Since no shots were fired on the second trip I'm assuming they learned absolutely nothing after all that happened and still took no weapons.

marie pavie
06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
technologically advanced aliens automatically == morally advanced and peaceful.

Yeah, sure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDAaTzccCik).
:p I'd expect big trouble from aliens, even on the best of days.

Joker One
06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I just got back from it and I found it to be awful; but hey, to each of their own.

wazups 2x
06-10-2012, 08:06 PM
ADD:
I'm not entirely sure about this one, but did the crew who escorted Weyland at the end of the movie carry any guns at all? I don't think so (but it's possible that I'm wrong) and if that's the case then I just can't fathom why they would go in unarmed back into the structure that already cost them the life of 2 crew members, whos' deaths still remains much of a mystery.

No, they had a gun and they even shot it a few times.

IgnoreThisPlox
06-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Reviews from Grantland and the New Yorker, my favorite places for media reviews
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8020546/prometheus-ridley-scott-blockbuster-alien-franchise
Prometheus contains riffs on cinema history — Lawrence of Arabia, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and any number of other classic sci-fi and horror films are explicitly referenced — beautiful 3-D photography, and quality acting from Michael Fassbender, Logan Marshall-Green, and Noomi Rapace, among others. It also features a scene in which Charlize Theron does near-nude push-ups; multiple flamethrowers; and the soothing sight of Stringer Bell idly playing an accordion that supposedly once belonged to Stephen Stills. Not to mention decapitated heads and caves full of evil. It's a movie as comfortable being smart as it is being dumb, quiet as it is loud. It does, in short, what so few franchise installments these days do: makes you hope for still more.
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2012/06/18/120618crci_cinema_denby?currentPage=all
There is too much trolling around in the dark, and some garbled and repetitive plot turns in the film, but, when the action breaks out across that slate-colored plain, Scott uses 3-D well, giving the movement persuasive depth. He knows that the sight of a real human body charging through actual space is what produces excitement, a simple enough lesson (all the old Hollywood directors knew it) that has recently collapsed into airborne digital scrambles in “Avengers” and a dozen movies like it. “Prometheus” may be a brutal spectacle and a scare show, but Ridley Scott’s craft is all-powerful. This movie earns an exhausted respect.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2012/06/18/120618crci_cinema_denby#ixzz1xS3fK1IC

MADDOGGE
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
:p I'd expect big trouble from aliens, even on the best of days.Dang you marie.:mad: Now I have to find my copy and watch it. Now where is that VCR at:confused:.

That movie had some big names in it:D:cool:.

TheInsaneDump
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Saw the film today. Very disappointing. Hollow.

It seemed as though someone with ADD wrote this script. No time at all was spent developing the characters or making them at all compelling. We knew nothing about them and I felt nothing for them. There was zero camaraderie either for characters being a part of the captain's team or the surveyor's team (As Charlize points out with her "Welcome back" speech in the beginning)

Charlize's acting was so wooden that she seemed like a robot. She looked bored or something. And in a true showing of irony, David showed more character/emotions than his fellow crew and he was an android!

Several scenes/parts made little sense to me:

1. How did Shaw get back into the wrecked ship when it completely rolled on its side? She needed a rope to get out with David's head, but managed to get in just fine on her own.

2. Shaw must be an Olympic runner since after the ship crashed, she had two minutes of oxygen left in her suit and it looks like she trekked 2 miles to that escape pod in 1.5 minutes. That ship was really far in the distance.

3. Getting lost in the wrecked ship despite GPS-pinpointed navigation and mapping probes. (Not to mention the captain being all nonchalant about life readings in a long-dead space ship.)

4. No evidence of dead xenomorphs despite dozens of dead alien crew with their stomachs exploded.

5. The alien crew's motives or reasons of deciding to exterminate the human race; let alone the lone survivor just randomly killing everyone. Not to mention this whole "creators" bit was a very weak way to describe the back story of where xenomorphs came from.

6. The "drama" between Meredith and her father. They divulge this connection like it actually mattered and we get some kind of glimpse into her character. It had zero bearing on anything.

7. Shaw wearing no gloves in a hostile environment.

There are more, but I can't be bothered.

Aemony
06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
:p I'd expect big trouble from aliens, even on the best of days.

Geez, I remember when I first saw Mars Attacks when I was young... Scared the ♥♥♥♥ out of me... Something about that comedy is just friggin weird and horrifying.

No, they had a gun and they even shot it a few times.

Oh, they did? Well, that's smart! Especially after the mutated Fifield paid the hangar bay a visit before and proved just how ineffective those small guns were. After having experienced that, I'd arm myself with that damn flamethrower of theirs before going back into the structure. But I guess the new crew members who seemingly just appeared didn't get the memo...

Bud042
06-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Characters sucked, plot had good potential. David was an ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, everyone else a complete idiot.

Only likable people were the ship's crew cuz they had such minor roles.

TangledThorns
06-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Reading IGN's interview with Damon Lindelof makes my blood boil. The film was supposed to be a true Alien prequel but Damon was against that idea. Damon is to script writing the same way the Brothers Strause are to film directing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/11/the-secrets-of-prometheus-with-damon-lindelof

monkeedude1212
06-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Saw the film today. Very disappointing. Hollow.

It seemed as though someone with ADD wrote this script. No time at all was spent developing the characters or making them at all compelling. We knew nothing about them and I felt nothing for them. There was zero camaraderie either for characters being a part of the captain's team or the surveyor's team (As Charlize points out with her "Welcome back" speech in the beginning)

There wasn't meant to be much "camaraderie". The dysjunct between flight crew and surveying crew was supposed to be there. The people who've "worked with her before" was the flight crew - and as you'll notice all 3 choose to go down with the ship. Everyone else though, basically doesn't know each other, hasn't worked with each other before, and some of them are downright unpleasant to talk to.

Charlize's acting was so wooden that she seemed like a robot. She looked bored or something. And in a true showing of irony, David showed more character/emotions than his fellow crew and he was an android!

I have a feeling this was intended, I will get into this a little bit more later. ;)

4. No evidence of dead xenomorphs despite dozens of dead alien crew with their stomachs exploded.

To add to part of the mystery. Where did they go?

Keep in mind the crashed ship in Prometheus is not the exact same crashed ship in Alien, in Alien the Engineer is still in the seat with his chest burst. The alien we see at the end of Prometheus is not the first of it's kind, I'm sure.

5. The alien crew's motives or reasons of deciding to exterminate the human race; let alone the lone survivor just randomly killing everyone. Not to mention this whole "creators" bit was a very weak way to describe the back story of where xenomorphs came from.

Well, the idea that the aliens were an engineered weapon was around long before Prometheus, it's been suggested by fans since the first Alien Movie; that the crashed ship in Alien was meant to deliver a payload of xenomorphs to some other planet, when a facehugger broke free and killed the pilot. I liked that Scott took this idea and kept it running, it seems a fitting backstory to me.

As for the engineer's motives. This is the most important understory to the movie. It's built upon the foundations of consciousness and reasoning. Ash's words in Alien also deeply reflect upon it, that xenomorphs are creatures of great purity. "Not clouded by Conscience or delusions of morality" as he puts it. Why does man create artificial life in synthetics? Holloway says: They do it because they can. Why does man believe in God? Because some people choose to believe.

It's the ultimate point they meant to underscore, that choice is a really fickle thing. Someone can choose to create life, then they can immediately regret that decision and choose to end it. That these decisions can be made without apparent reason. When choices are made for the sake of making choices. I think it was a very powerful theme for a movie. Something that might have gone over a few people's heads, but I bet if you watch it again with this now in mind you'll find the clues very clearly.

6. The "drama" between Meredith and her father. They divulge this connection like it actually mattered and we get some kind of glimpse into her character. It had zero bearing on anything.

This is the other big twist that I think probably confused most people. Most of this is just my personal speculation, but it all adds up in my head too well to mean anything else:

I don't think he was her father. I think she used that term in a much more meaningful way... Theron's acting was supposed to make her seem robotic. So much so that even the Captain was fooled, he had to ask. Since he might be catching on, she decides to appease him. She was synthetic, like David, but she was designed to be so human-like that no one would know. The thing that REALLY should be confusing you is that she gets this awesome medical bay pod that can do just about any operation, and she's a female, but the pod is optimized for males only: Why the heck is that? It's because she never really needs it. If anyone would need it at the time, it'd be Weyland. So I'm pretty sure she's an AI.

Here's the real part where it clicked for me. I remember a few times people calling her "Old Mum" and stuff on the ship. Like more than twice, and at first I just thought whatever, they were just being chummy. But then her outwardly robotic tendancies got me wondering. Then, when she says "Father" - it seemed obvious.

She is Mother.
Weyland asks why she bothers to be there and she just wants to be there when he is dethroned. Given that Mother runs Weyland-Yutani in future alien films, it just seems so fitting.

TheInsaneDump
06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
There wasn't meant to be much "camaraderie". The dysjunct between flight crew and surveying crew was supposed to be there. The people who've "worked with her before" was the flight crew - and as you'll notice all 3 choose to go down with the ship. Everyone else though, basically doesn't know each other, hasn't worked with each other before, and some of them are downright unpleasant to talk to.

The characters were not at all compelling though. None of them were developed. If the intent was to create a ragtag bunch who didn't know each other then they succeeded. The audience doesn't even know who these people are.

The two characters who decided to go down with the ship - as well as repeat that silly little "bet" subplot - had no bearing on anything. There was no emotional pull. It felt like saying goodbye to a stranger; "Okay, you're going down with the ship? Bye then." Like a Security Chief extra in Star Trek. Even when the Captain made the decision to ram the alien ship, it wasn't a feeling like "Oh no, please don't die! You're important!" but one of "Okay then *shrug*".

This is the other big twist that I think probably confused most people. Most of this is just my personal speculation, but it all adds up in my head too well to mean anything else:

And don't see how it was a big twist. She calls him father at the end of the scene and that's it. You hardly even see her character ever again...until she gets crushed by a giant ship because she didn't run sideways.

I don't think he was her father. I think she used that term in a much more meaningful way... Theron's acting was supposed to make her seem robotic. So much so that even the Captain was fooled, he had to ask. Since he might be catching on, she decides to appease him. She was synthetic, like David, but she was designed to be so human-like that no one would know. The thing that REALLY should be confusing you is that she gets this awesome medical bay pod that can do just about any operation, and she's a female, but the pod is optimized for males only: Why the heck is that? It's because she never really needs it. If anyone would need it at the time, it'd be Weyland. So I'm pretty sure she's an AI.

Here's the real part where it clicked for me. I remember a few times people calling her "Old Mum" and stuff on the ship. Like more than twice, and at first I just thought whatever, they were just being chummy. But then her outwardly robotic tendancies got me wondering. Then, when she says "Father" - it seemed obvious.

Only David called her mum. Based on your thought processes, it would seem she's an android then, but so what? A twist is meant to influence the story or have an affect on it. It was revealed so late in the film anyway and so little time was spent on it. And who cares? What significance did it have on this film? She wasn't much of a character to begin with. If the purpose of this revelation is to set the stage for future movies, then it feels nothing more than a checklist of "things that we need to get out of the way" before the next film.

See, the trouble is if you're purposefully withholding information because you intend on creating a sequel, what does that say about this first movie? It's a "setting the stage" movie then and how is that compelling? I guess not enough for myself.

Seph64
06-11-2012, 08:32 AM

She is Mother.
Weyland asks why she bothers to be there and she just wants to be there when he is dethroned. Given that Mother runs Weyland-Yutani in future alien films, it just seems so fitting.

Meredith is not a Synthetic. She's a human. The reason she's so emotionless, robotic is probably because she was abused at some point in her past that lead her to believe that emotions were a crutch for the weak, and if she was gonna be strong, she wouldn't need that crutch.

If she were a droid, she need not worry about a helmet when going outside. A space suit would have no purpose for a droid except to satisfy certain aesthetics for other people (lets face it, in a zero air atmosphere, a person with no space suit or a helmet would look freaky). That's David's justification for going outside with a space suit and a helmet on. Now, Meredith puts on the space-suit a long with a helmet, so she could at least survive a bit outside when the crew for the Promotheus decided to crash in to the Alien ship. Who would she try to appease by wearing a helmet if she knew she didn't need it to survive? It's serve no purpose for the survival of a droid. She is not a droid, she's a human with a tragic past.

monkeedude1212
06-11-2012, 08:49 AM
If she were a droid, she need not worry about a helmet when going outside.

She is a droid meant to appear human. No one is supposed to know she is a droid. Hence she would wear a helmet so that no one would know she was a droid. It's just like Ash in Alien, no one knew until he went psycho killer.

monkeedude1212
06-11-2012, 08:52 AM
See, the trouble is if you're purposefully withholding information because you intend on creating a sequel, what does that say about this first movie? It's a "setting the stage" movie then and how is that compelling? I guess not enough for myself.

I think it was with-holding information in order to show the origins of Mother as much as the movie took till the very end to show a full on xenomorph. Showing the Alien at the end popping out of the Engineer held no signifigance to the film either, but was there to help the tie-in to the Alien Franchise.

This movie was about as much of a prequel as you could get, they wanted to cover all the bases, not just the Xenomorphs; they also covered the Engineers and the Weyland-Yutani corporation. It's not so much a set up for a sequel (though there might be another movie in the franchise) - it's a set up to tie in to an already existing movie.

Seph64
06-11-2012, 08:56 AM
She is a droid meant to appear human. No one is supposed to know she is a droid. Hence she would wear a helmet so that no one would know she was a droid. It's just like Ash in Alien, no one knew until he went psycho killer.

No, she is not a droid. The only other person (she thought to be) alive on an otherwise lifeless planet would be Dr Shaw, and who she gonna tell? As far as Meredith was concerned, there was no other way back to Earth, so her "secret" life as an adult robot would have been been kept safe, if she was a droid.

Besides, if she was really a droid that was supposed to appear human, would it not make more sense for her to actually have emotions?

TangledThorns
06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Whats funny is I saw Snow White and Prometheus last weekend the former was the better film of the two, not by much but still better.

Dammit, the more I think about Prometheus the less I like it. Even the soundtrack was lame.

monkeedude1212
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM
No, she is not a droid. The only other person (she thought to be) alive on an otherwise lifeless planet would be Dr Shaw, and who she gonna tell? As far as Meredith was concerned, there was no other way back to Earth, so her "secret" life as an adult robot would have been been kept safe, if she was a droid.

Besides, if she was really a droid that was supposed to appear human, would it not make more sense for her to actually have emotions?

If she was supposed to be human, wouldn't it make sense for her to have emotions? Any argument you make for her doing something because she's human becomes an argument for why she must do it to appear human.

Her robotic tendancies *don't* really have an explanation though. That she is trying to de-sex herself, to be the son that Weyland wanted? *Possibly*. But why couldn't Weyland have a son, but he could have a daughter? Why is she Meredith Vickers and not Meredith Weyland? With medical technology being what it is, why couldn't they get a genetic son through a surrogate mother if he wanted? It seems more like a problem that Weyland is sterile, there are so many ways he could try to have a son but instead he BUILDS one. How far of a stretch would it be for him to have built another?

Aemony
06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Whats funny is I saw Snow White and Prometheus last weekend the former was the better film of the two, not by much but still better.

At least the former featured a trolling mirror (http://imgur.com/rTi8i)...

TheInsaneDump
06-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Did Kristen Stewart's acting improve? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DlZh-LIFk&feature=related)

TangledThorns
06-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Did Kristen Stewart's acting improve? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DlZh-LIFk&feature=related)

This was the first Kristen Stewart film I saw and I think she did well.

wazups 2x
06-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Dammit, the more I think about Prometheus the less I like it. Even the soundtrack was lame.

I hated Snow White, the trailer made it look a lot better than it was. Prometheus was a much better film, IMO.

supernaut
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Wait, what?
http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-viral-continues-peter-weyland-ready-ted-talk-101112/

Gordon He-Man
06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Supernaut, your 'Half-In the Bag' wish has been answered...

supernaut
06-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Supernaut, your 'Half-In the Bag' wish has been answered...

Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

Here's the link for anyone else who's interested...
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-prometheus/

z3hr
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Here's the link for anyone else who's interested...
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-prometheus/

Wow, that was a very good review.

supernaut
06-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Wow, that was a very good review.

Aye, well analysed and rational as always.

Gordon He-Man
06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Aye, well analysed and rational as always.

Indeed...for a TRULY negative review, check out 'Jack and Jill' or 'ZooKeeper'...but ESPECIALLY 'Jack and Jill'...

Also, if these forums had proper sigs, this would be mine...

"If you're one of those people that gets that upset over this movie, you should probably stop watching movies. In a world of Jack and Jill's and What to Expect When You're Expecting and movies like that, an ambitious but incredibly flawed sci-fi film, if that's what gets you horribly upset, then there's no hope for you""

mr. duck
06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
It is just my opinion but this was a hack of a movie. It was superficial to say the least and would have been better to have the promethius crash at the beginning and roll credits. The first alien is my favorite scary movie and This incarnation is the worst of them all because of the expectations that I had with Ridley Scott making a return. Now i see Scott in a retirement home sitting next to the other old hack, George Lucas.
As to not talk about the substance of the movie, I would recommend people read Larry Niven's book called Protector. I think of the alien franchise was dropped that this story idea would have been better by itself and carried the same questions that was presented in Promethius.

Seph64
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE! (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/35567-bum-reviews-prometheus)

cegrogan
06-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I was really intrigued about the biological warfare aspect of the black goo. It seemed that it was, after direct consumption, producing the same effects on Shaw's significant other as it did on the engineer at the beginning of the film. Had Vickers not killed him, would this furthered evolution even more? Was that the point of the payload, were the engineers creating life, wiping it away, and trying again?

Also, the xenomorphs. It was interesting that they were such a plurality of creatures, and only became the proto-xenomorph that we're familiar with after bursting from an engineer.

TheKigYarGamer
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
I kinda liked it. But then I saw the original Alien after watching it and I liked that more. Still, Prometheus was pretty good. But my biggest complaint about the movie is that the plot is, inititally at least, centred around the idea that humans came about through the intervention of some alien species. Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's been done quite a few times before, hasn't it?

P.S. I think Fifield (AKA Mohawk Scientist) was a Furry.

scojer 2.0
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I loved the film. Sure it could of expanded on the characters a bit more, but all in all, it was awesome, and I hope they do a sequel that answers a lot of the questions.

MADDOGGE
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
It is just my opinion but this was a hack of a movie. It was superficial to say the least and would have been better to have the promethius crash at the beginning and roll credits. The first alien is my favorite scary movie and This incarnation is the worst of them all because of the expectations that I had with Ridley Scott making a return. Now i see Scott in a retirement home sitting next to the other old hack, George Lucas.
As to not talk about the substance of the movie, I would recommend people read Larry Niven's book called Protector. I think of the alien franchise was dropped that this story idea would have been better by itself and carried the same questions that was presented in Promethius.Love Niven's early works and those he did with Pournelle. Actually Protector done by someone knowing what they are doing would make a awesome movie. The way it is tied into the RingWorld series and the Man-Kzin Wars eventually could well make for some great but expensive films. The key words done correctly. For example, I love Dean Koontz as an author but I have yet to see a Dean Koontz book done into a good movie. They have all sucked that I've seen.

Consensus seems to be the characters and plot are lacking while the visuals are lovely.

Spidery_Yoda
06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Another Red Letter Media video
RedLetterMedia talks about Prometheus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=g-all-u)

MADDOGGE
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
RedLetterMedia talks about Prometheus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=g-all-u)ROFLMAO, that was great! So many good questions and no answers.:confused:

TheInsaneDump
06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
RedLetterMedia talks about Prometheus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=g-all-u)

Awesome. Dead on. Movie had so many plot holes.

marie pavie
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I think RedLetterMedia is fun, if you move away a little from a typical review format you can address other aspects of film.

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
It is really bad when characters in the movie do things so far out of context that it just makes no sense whatsoever. Definitely spot on with the guy approaching the leech thing while they were stranded. And yeah, rather absurd that they ran in the exact path which the ship was falling. A rather cheap way to get rid of the chick from the story. This reminds me of the dude from Chernobyl diaries, Yuri, getting out of the car at night and going off alone to kill stuff... makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

Some of the other questions I think are fine and not problematic in terms of plot. Like the black goo, it's purpose, the purpose of the aliens, things of that nature. I have no issues with those being somewhat clouded.

And yea what's up with the old dude. Feels like they should have fleshed out that story more and just made the movie another 30 minutes long. Having something shrouded in mystery is fine, some more depth associated with it would have been nice, so it feels less like a necessary plot tool, and more like an actual part of the story.

Defintely one of the better movies out in a long while, even with a few minor issues. All movies have a few minor issues.

Rumina
06-12-2012, 03:13 PM
I didn't see this posted.

Prometheus Unbound: What the Movie was Actually About (http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html)

I gave it a read yesterday and it actually put a lot of things into context that seemed to not make sense for me. Ridley Scott backs some of it up.

Granted, there's obviously some things in the movie that just don't plain make sense but this helped with some things I just assumed were bad writing. Though really they should have been touched on more in the movie, maybe those things are intended for the sequel though.

Gordon He-Man
06-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Not sure about the 'Jesus-Engineer', though...

Rumina
06-12-2012, 03:31 PM

I thought it sounded weird at first too, but reading that Ridley Scott quote that was apparently their original intent in the script and after that they decided they should back off that and leave it vague.

cegrogan
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM

At first, I was skeptical too, but he makes some good points...

Masterclown
06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I kinda liked it. But then I saw the original Alien after watching it and I liked that more. Still, Prometheus was pretty good. But my biggest complaint about the movie is that the plot is, inititally at least, centred around the idea that humans came about through the intervention of some alien species. Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's been done quite a few times before, hasn't it?

P.S. I think Fifield (AKA Mohawk Scientist) was a Furry.

Indeed it has.

One of the best renditions (to me at least) was 3001: The Final Odyssey.

MADDOGGE
06-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Prometheus Unbound: What the Movie was Actually About (http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html)

Not buying it. If he was trying for allegory perhaps he should have got C.S. Lewis to write it.

Aliens burst out of your chest not stomach. Christ was stabbed in hise side after death while hanging on the cross not his stomach.

The Alien doesn't look like the one in the Alien movies. It's close but has no piston mouth.

PS: Does Ridley know what happens to intestines when you cut open someones abdomen?

This is "2001 A Space Odyssey" all over again but not done near as well.

Aemony
06-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Did someone mention 2001? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0)

Rumina
06-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Not buying it. If he was trying for allegory perhaps he should have got C.S. Lewis to write it.

Aliens burst out of your chest not stomach. Christ was stabbed in hise side after death while hanging on the cross not his stomach.

The Alien doesn't look like the one in the Alien movies. It's close but has no piston mouth.

PS: Does Ridley know what happens to intestines when you cut open someones abdomen?

I was more intrigued that the original intention was for the aliens to be angry with us for crucifying Jesus 2,000 years ago. If that's as Ridley Scott says then it seems their original intent was to go the C.S. Lewis route and have christian overtones. Honestly though, if that's what they were going for it feels like they really missed the mark which I guess makes sense since it sounds like they tried to back away from it and that it didn't fit the material to begin with.

trojanrabbit.gg
06-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Does Prometheus have any cheap loud noise 'gotcha' moments? I have a rather bad phobia of sudden loud noises. I may go see it tommorow if someone can elaborate on the matter...

tibetanpunk
06-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Does Prometheus have any cheap loud noise 'gotcha' moments? I have a rather bad phobia of sudden loud noises. I may go see it tommorow if someone can elaborate on the matter...

It doesn't so much go for those sorts of moments at all. There are maybe one or 2 jump worthy parts, but that's about it.

ernest.
06-18-2012, 11:20 AM

I think there were two times when random loud noises scared me, they really stuck out

Gordon He-Man
06-30-2012, 05:45 AM
This movie was ruined by cheap 'fan-service'; yet at the same time, that's the only reason FOX 'green-lit' it in the first place...

In the words of Ridley Scott himself on Hollywood in general...

"We tolerate it because it's common, it's trivial. We tolerate it morning, noon, and night. Well, not anymore. I'm setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."

...oh...wait, that was someone else.

Pim Pandoer
06-30-2012, 05:47 AM
wtf is going on

EDIT: ok sorry i tried posting a link but it turns into hearts for some reason and the link doesnt work.:(

supernaut
06-30-2012, 06:00 AM
Prometheus will have some sort of presence at Comic Con. I have no idea what's going on, it's probably just not performing as well as they hoped, so they're continuing with the promotion until/after the DVD/Blu-ray.

Gordon He-Man
06-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Prometheus will have some sort of presence at Comic Con. I have no idea what's going on, it's probably just not performing as well as they hoped, so they're continuing with the promotion until/after the DVD/Blu-ray.

...I've seen quite a few ludicrous rumors about how Ridley in fact 'filmed the sequel without us knowing' kinds of BS...

...I imagine it's a reveal of what Tom Rothman wouldn't allow for the theatrical version as opposed to the DVD/BlueRay...that's what I'm HOPING at least.

...doubt that will be on the same 'par' as the 'Kingdom of Heaven' Director's Cut...

...not with THAT script.:eek:

Ratskit
06-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Meh. AVP: Requiem was better.

Gordon He-Man
06-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Meh. AVP: Requiem was better.

I'm interested in visiting your universe. It sounds surreal.:p

Gordon He-Man
07-06-2012, 07:53 AM
3-disc Blu-ray version of Prometheus details. I figured the availability of the different versions of the scripts would pique some interests, though I doubt many of you will be buying it to read them:

Disc One will include the film in 2D along with 150 minutes worth of extras, including 15-minutes of deleted and alternate scenes, audio commentary by director Ridley Scott, 4 Private Records of Peter Weyland viral videos (The Offer of Elizabeth Shaw, Happy Birthday, David, Prometheus Transmission: Extended Version and The TED Conference: Weyland in 2023 - Long Version), Pre-Production material (including text of the first and final drafts of the script, a gallery of Ridleygrams, The Art of Prometheus photo gallery, a 30-minute Pre-visualization featurette, 15 minutes of Noomi Rapace screen tests, a Costume Design gallery and what appears to be a featurette called Look of the Cast), Production material (a Graphic Video Dashboard, a Production Team photo gallery and video taken by the private pilot) and Post-Release material (including a Marketing Gallery). There's also 60 minutes of Second Screen App content featuring the archives of Peter Weyland.

Disc Two is the Blu-ray 3D version of the film.

Disc Three is a Bonus Disc containing additional extras, including the 9-part, feature-length The Angry Gods "making of" documentary At the Conquest of Paradise (scenario), The Engineering Upside Down (direction & design), The Manifest Human (characters & costumes), A Nest of Demons (creature design), A World Without Green Spaces (Pinewood), Gains of Chance (stunts & action), The Beginning and End (Iceland), The Sky on Fire (visual effects) and Prometheus Without Limits (post-production and theatrical release)], as well as 30 minutes of Units of Improvement mini-featurettes and the aforementioned Archives of Peter Weyland. In addition to Prometheus, there's also apparently going to be a 9-disc Evolution: From Alien to Prometheus BD box set (at least in France), which basically just combines Prometheus with the previous Alien Anthology BD set. Keep in mind that until Fox make the official announcements this list should be considered tentative and subject to change. However, you can bet we'll get more details next week at Comic-Con.

Myself =P
07-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Interesting, someone that thinks like me, I thought the same watching the movie, the atmosphere was really like 2001's, exploring the unknown, but of course, Prometheus was more fast paced, but left many questions open just like 2001, but it didn't had the Kubrick's Magic onto it

Overall I think Prometheus was a great movie, not the best or worse, something between, but above the average

supernaut
07-07-2012, 06:19 AM
3-disc Blu-ray version of Prometheus details. I figured the availability of the different versions of the scripts would pique some interests, though I doubt many of you will be buying it to read them:

Disc One will include the film in 2D along with 150 minutes worth of extras, including 15-minutes of deleted and alternate scenes, audio commentary by director Ridley Scott, 4 Private Records of Peter Weyland viral videos (The Offer of Elizabeth Shaw, Happy Birthday, David, Prometheus Transmission: Extended Version and The TED Conference: Weyland in 2023 - Long Version), Pre-Production material (including text of the first and final drafts of the script, a gallery of Ridleygrams, The Art of Prometheus photo gallery, a 30-minute Pre-visualization featurette, 15 minutes of Noomi Rapace screen tests, a Costume Design gallery and what appears to be a featurette called Look of the Cast), Production material (a Graphic Video Dashboard, a Production Team photo gallery and video taken by the private pilot) and Post-Release material (including a Marketing Gallery). There's also 60 minutes of Second Screen App content featuring the archives of Peter Weyland.

Disc Two is the Blu-ray 3D version of the film.

Disc Three is a Bonus Disc containing additional extras, including the 9-part, feature-length The Angry Gods "making of" documentary At the Conquest of Paradise (scenario), The Engineering Upside Down (direction & design), The Manifest Human (characters & costumes), A Nest of Demons (creature design), A World Without Green Spaces (Pinewood), Gains of Chance (stunts & action), The Beginning and End (Iceland), The Sky on Fire (visual effects) and Prometheus Without Limits (post-production and theatrical release)], as well as 30 minutes of Units of Improvement mini-featurettes and the aforementioned Archives of Peter Weyland. In addition to Prometheus, there's also apparently going to be a 9-disc Evolution: From Alien to Prometheus BD box set (at least in France), which basically just combines Prometheus with the previous Alien Anthology BD set. Keep in mind that until Fox make the official announcements this list should be considered tentative and subject to change. However, you can bet we'll get more details next week at Comic-Con.

Thanks for this. Deleted scenes and the scripts definitely pique my interest.

supernaut
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Fox is moving forward with the sequel, without Lindelof, if need be.

http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-2-evolves/

Good riddance, best to keep Lindelof away. Scott spoke of a sequel long before the movie came out, so this is merely confirmation from the studio and obviously very early on, so no fixed year or anything else for that matter.

I'm still looking forward to the DVD release, along with The Avengers, which is probably going to be the most rented film of the last decade, at least.

ragan651
08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
I rather enjoyed Prometheus. I think it was one of the better movies of the Alien universe, and it was very well done (although a bit too much of a tribute to some other classic movies, like 2001). I will be looking forward to the DVD/Bluray release.

Seph64
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Fox is moving forward with the sequel, without Lindelof, if need be.

http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-2-evolves/

Good riddance, best to keep Lindelof away. Scott spoke of a sequel long before the movie came out, so this is merely confirmation from the studio and obviously very early on, so no fixed year or anything else for that matter.

I'm still looking forward to the DVD release, along with The Avengers, which is probably going to be the most rented film of the last decade, at least.

Calling it now: It deals with how the Engineer ship found on LV 426 came to be there. :p

MrChris
08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I think it should be an intergalactic comedy about a chick with a hole in her chest and a decapitated talking head

Myself =P
08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Calling it now: It deals with how the Engineer ship found on LV 426 came to be there. :p

I was expecting Prometheus to explain that

sdaniels7114
10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
It may be a minor nit I'm picking here but I'm wondering why they had a very young man play a very old man in the part of old man Vickers? The makeup was awful and the guy didn't move right at all. Why didn't they just get a really, really old guy to play the part and then just tweak the makeup?

What's next? Having Zooey Deschanel play a 150 year old man just to show off what makeup and CGI can do? It seems to me that these movies maybe wouldn't be hitting 200 million to make and $13 to watch if a little common sense was used.

monkeedude1212
10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
It may be a minor nit I'm picking here but I'm wondering why they had a very young man play a very old man in the part of old man Vickers?

Guy Pearce is 45, he's not really that young.

Plus I think there are parts of him where he plays a younger version of himself (the videos and what not) - I think it was just easier to make a younger man appear aged as opposed to an elderly man appear young.

Seph64
10-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Anyone know what the Alternate Opening and Endings are like? I bought the DVD, which only has alternate scenes for parts I am not interested in. And even if I did buy the Blu-Ray, I couldn't play it since I do not have a Blu-Ray player.

supernaut
10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Anyone know what the Alternate Opening and Endings are like? I bought the DVD, which only has alternate scenes for parts I am not interested in. And even if I did buy the Blu-Ray, I couldn't play it since I do not have a Blu-Ray player.

I've seen the deleted scenes and the alternate stuff, pretty much all of it was simply expanded versions of the scenes in the film. Deleted scenes were meaningless, I suppose that's why they call them deleted scenes. Sometimes you can find interesting stuff among deleted scenes, making you wonder why this or that wasn't included, but there's none of that here. I'm not surprised there's no Director's Cut. Haven't watched the other extras, just lost all interest after that.

They were really pushing the tagline "questions will be answered" up to the home theater release, by then I didn't really give a ♥♥♥♥ (glad a friend bought the Blu-ray though), cos I was disappointed by the theatrical cut to a point where no alternate or deleted stuff could fix it.

MrChris
10-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Alternate opening, you have a few more of the engineers around when that dude drinks the life starting syrup that just so happens to turn him to mush

they are all there as if part of a ceremony, but same thing occurs

ending, well there is a bit where the engineer talks, still resorts to his head pulling off antics but its all pretty much the same thereafter except they were going to make the engineer vs shaw fight longer (she axes him a bit)

unless there was something else I missed

supernaut
10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
That pretty much covers it. :)