PDA

View Full Version : Why All the Hype?

Cowmanwins
01-15-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't understand what people like about this game, it's really boring and repetitive IMO.

So someone please tell me, why do you think this is a good game?

kijib
01-15-2011, 08:28 PM
it has cool music!
none of that hippity hop everyone listens to nowadays

Cowmanwins
01-16-2011, 03:38 AM
If I wanted to listen to music I would open up Spotify.

It's a game.

megagoosey
01-21-2011, 12:04 AM
If I wanted to listen to music I would open up Spotify.

It's a game.

You kids and your hippity hop. Back in my day, we could only listen to music through our video games and we LIKED it that way!

Headcrab5000
01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
If it has to be explained to you you'll never understand.

Hachach19
02-03-2011, 12:19 PM
The gameplay is lovely and the logic required to beat some of the levels only makes it better.

nspc
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
if you dont understand the game, go play COD :)

Dunther
02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
It's a perfect game. A little short, but perfect.
Nice graphics, awesome soundtrack, amazing storyline, original gameplay, never repeats itself.
It's more than a game, it's a masterpiece of art, no hype.

literon
02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
You made me interested, I hope I will try it soon.

Brew78
02-15-2011, 09:11 AM
The logic required is unlike that in other platformers, specifically trying to manage things that are affected by the user-initiated time reversal and things that are not. Then there's the world where time only flows forward when walking right, and flows backward when walking left (including the music). And another world where manually reversing time spawns a shadow copy of yourself upon normal time flow, who performs whatever actions you'd performed before reversing time.

It requires multidimensional reasoning not found elsewhere, in addition to simple-to-moderate platformer running and jumping timing. I can only take it for a few stages at a time, but figuring out a stage that's had you puzzled for awhile really is pretty satisfying.

DeltaUK
02-17-2011, 04:01 PM

this ^

passthemayo
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I tried the demo and wasn't all that impressed either.

W-
03-01-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't understand what people like about this game, it's really boring and repetitive IMO.

So someone please tell me, why do you think this is a good game?

I don't know how you can call it repetitive since every level adds more difficulty and every chapter changes the mechanics.

Mexicutioner
03-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I got this game because I love puzzle platform games, but I didnt enjoy braid much. Maybe because it was only puzzle solving, and not really any platforming.

I also didnt like the story (it was cliche), the level designs are all very similar, I dislike the main character very much (not because hes a ginger, but because his model looks very plain like no effort went into designing him. There are some very clever puzzles, but there is also alot of frustrating ones.

Overall I would give this game a 6/10. Compared to other platform games like donkey kong, metroid, even mario, this game forces you to solve puzzle after puzzle which is something different but gets very repetitive. I would like to see more platforming instead of constant puzzle solving.

Jaheebus
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
You kids and your hippity hop. Back in my day, we could only listen to music through our video games and we LIKED it that way!

Damn right! :cool:

You deserve some reppety rep rep.

Dunther
03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I also didnt like the story (it was cliche), the level designs are all very similar
Are you sure we're speaking of the same game?

Compared to other platform games like donkey kong, metroid, even mario, this game forces you to solve puzzle after puzzle

Would you compare Quake with Portal? I don't think so.
If you bought it hoping for a mere platform game, well you misjudged it...

pat_pat
03-03-2011, 12:27 AM
its hipster ♥♥♥♥.

you will only get hate here

DeadlyFred
03-03-2011, 01:31 AM
its hipster ♥♥♥♥.

you will only get hate here

LOL ... yeah I mean... it looks nice, the music is nice... but what's the point? I mean the story is alright and possibly even profound if you lack the life experience of having been through similar circumstances for yourself -- and if you have it just comes off as trite -- but... the gameplay? Ok it's Prince of Persia meets Super Mario; not sure that's overly much originality.

A friend has been badgering me endlessly to get it and while it looks nice and perhaps moderately entertaining... sorry, waaaay overblown unless the ending is a fortune cookie containing the recipe to turn lead into gold. Serious, people.

Also? Color me incredibly annoyed that it apparently has absolutely no PC gamepad support. Especially when it is also on XBLA

Elpizo
03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Everyone has right for their own ophinions. This argument has no actual meaning.
It is unlikely for developers to think that everyone will like the game. I think they are still satisfied by this achievment.

Moragami
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
An interesting game. It took me quite a while to figure it out. I give the developers credit. It's unique. On the other hand, it's not super fun, and I really wish I'd paid 2.99 for it instead of $10 (D'oh!)

vittau
03-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I mean the story is alright and possibly even profound if you lack the life experience of having been through similar circumstances for yourself

sorry, waaaay overblown unless the ending is a fortune cookie containing the recipe to turn lead into gold.

So you're judging the story without having finished it yet? :rolleyes:

The ending DOES change everything.

DeadlyFred
03-03-2011, 11:43 PM
It changes the fact that the rest of it was a bunch of asinine drivel? I doubt it. I didn't find the game compelling enough to finish the demo so I doubt I would find it compelling enough to see this mind-blowing finale. I suppose I could Youtube it but, I really don't think I care.

Dunther
03-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I suppose I could Youtube it but, I really don't think I care.

It wouldn't be the same, Braid is an experience you must LIVE, not watch...

Tresob77
03-05-2011, 09:26 PM

I agree with this statement.

The pleasure of the game, for me at least, was the series of moments when I realized I was doing it all wrong...(Someone should make a series of Braid LOLcats)...and then had an inspiration for a different approach.

That really is an experience that requires a play through, and it is a far more satisfying moment than any amount of twitch-reflexes on a standard platformer or shooter.

On the other hand, I did find the non-stars ending to be a let down. It seemed like the game's story ends with a puzzle that is harder to solve than any of the physics engines.

Maybe that's the point...but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

DeadlyFred
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM

If this game is what passes as a life-altering experience I will go run my head over with a lawn mower right now.

Dunther
03-06-2011, 08:27 AM
If this game is what passes as a life-altering experience I will go run my head over with a lawn mower right now.

Well, actually it is...
You can't take Braid as a story+graphics+music+gameplay, it must be taken as a complex mix of elements and a complete piece of art that communicates to you in all its ways...oh well I'm not sure I can explain it in English...

anelaidlives
03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
So you're judging the story without having finished it yet? :rolleyes:

The ending DOES change everything.

If the story doesn't draw me in enough to want to finish it, the ending being profound doesn't really matter.

Flying Ace
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
it's the most imaginative and unique game I've seen since World of goo or the old nintendo 64 games

Ketho
03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I love this game, the music, the artwork, and the logic.

btw, I wonder why the Midweek Madness discount (http://store.steampowered.com/news/5076/) is still ongoing ... 3/4 days after the 3rd of March (Thursday)

Leoholbel
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
It changes the fact that the rest of it was a bunch of asinine drivel? I doubt it. I didn't find the game compelling enough to finish the demo so I doubt I would find it compelling enough to see this mind-blowing finale. I suppose I could Youtube it but, I really don't think I care.

You don't care enough to play it, yet you somehow care enough to come here and bash the game on its own forum... :rolleyes:

Why did I like Braid in a simple sentence: Like all good art, not every random idiot can figure it out, it's challenging.

Dunther
03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
btw, I wonder why the Midweek Madness discount (http://store.steampowered.com/news/5076/) is still ongoing ... 3/4 days after the 3rd of March (Thursday)

Don't ask, just share it to all the people you can.

anelaidlives
03-06-2011, 09:59 PM
You don't care enough to play it, yet you somehow care enough to come here and bash the game on its own forum... :rolleyes:

Why did I like Braid in a simple sentence: Like all good art, not every random idiot can figure it out, it's challenging.

Art is not good just because not everyone can appreciate it.

If a game's demo is supposed to sell me on the premise of it, and it fails to do so, then I don't see how deciding to say, "the game did not sell me its premise" is incorrect, or why he is an idiot for not liking it.

Leoholbel
03-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Art is not good just because not everyone can appreciate it.

If a game's demo is supposed to sell me on the premise of it, and it fails to do so, then I don't see how deciding to say, "the game did not sell me its premise" is incorrect, or why he is an idiot for not liking it.

There's no problem in saying "the game did not sell me its premise", but there is a problem in saying the game doesn't deserve the love it has gotten. Who the ♥♥♥♥ is he (or anyone) to tell people a game (or anything) doesn't deserve their attention? It's a matter of opinnion.

Also, he implied it's not worth playing... but he didn't play it, how the ♥♥♥♥ would he know????

For instance, I dislike the movie "Eli's book", but guess what: I've watched it, entirely, till the credits. And I respect people who like.

You just can't watch 30 secs of a trailer and say "This movie aint good" and create a thread on a fan forum bashing it.

If you don't like the game, maybe it's just not your type of game, so just gtfo and go back to COD forums or wherever you came from.

anelaidlives
03-06-2011, 10:57 PM
There's no problem in saying "the game did not sell me its premise", but there is a problem in saying the game doesn't deserve the love it has gotten. Who the ♥♥♥♥ is he (or anyone) to tell people a game (or anything) doesn't deserve their attention? It's a matter of opinnion.

Also, he implied it's not worth playing... but he didn't play it, how the ♥♥♥♥ would he know????

For instance, I dislike the movie "Eli's book", but guess what: I've watched it, entirely, till the credits. And I respect people who like.

You just can't watch 30 secs of a trailer and say "This movie aint good" and create a thread on a fan forum bashing it.

If you don't like the game, maybe it's just not your type of game, so just gtfo and go back to COD forums or wherever you came from.

For the record, I didn't like the game.

I appreciate that you're willing to sit through something you don't like, I don't but I can articulate what I didn't like and that what I saw did not convince me that the rest was worth it. Of course the story may change later on, but I can see why its not worth playing.

My problem is that I'm playing it now, I think I'm half-way, I'm at world 4, but I honestly don't see what people saw in this game. I might be missing something, because there was a lot of praise for this game so its not like it was known to be bad.

If you like it, that's fine, if you don't, that's fine.

Mushe
03-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Just inteligent people like this game, others they are just playing for get exited with shooting.

DeadlyFred
03-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Just inteligent people like this game, others they are just playing for get exited with shooting.

Intelligent people form their own opinions and mine is that this game is pretty and unique enough but not especially remarkable and certainly not some kind of religious experience.

Believe me, I get it. I understand it is a treatise on the human condition rendered in the form of a quirky puzzle-platformer. I get it. This fact is not lost on me. I realize some people find deep philosophical meaning in all of this but as for my apparently unintelligent self, I find it less than impressive. Why? Because to anyone who has actually engrossed themselves in any sort of existential debate, this is small fries.

If this silly little video game is your first and most profound encounter with exploration of the human condition you need to get out more, and I mean that seriously. Though if it acts as a gateway drug for getting people to use their brains more well, that might actually be a feat worthy of accolade. I would never be one to derail the notion of games as art or as a form of social commentary but the heights of the praise should not exceed the depth of the meaning and being intentionally ambiguous does not net you points in this category, at all.

I don't actually think its a horrible game, though I found it rather unexciting myself, I just don't think it's the second coming of your deity of choice.

Aetheryn
03-08-2011, 02:54 AM
It's a perfect game. A little short, but perfect.
Nice graphics, awesome soundtrack, amazing storyline, original gameplay, never repeats itself.

My words exactly.

DeliriousSorcer
03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
People tell me Shakespeare is art, but I see it as an academic torture-test. Braid, on the other hand, is art to me. It's not a crime to dislike either.

However, if you see Braid as shallow, trite, or profound only to those who lack some sort of specific life-experience (I'd like to know just what you think that is), then you lack a certain amount of depth or wisdom.

For example, I don't read the Old King's English, so I accept that my disdain for Shakespeare is representative of my own shortcomings. There are addition reasons, but these are beside the point.

Your disapproval of Braid has nothing to do with hype and everything to do with your own schema. If you want to like the game, erase any sort of pompous feelings that you harbor towards Braid or that you think its designer holds about art.

Tresob77
03-12-2011, 04:00 PM
People tell me Shakespeare is art, but I see it as an academic torture-test. Braid, on the other hand, is art to me. It's not a crime to dislike either...
For example, I don't read the Old King's English, so I accept that my disdain for Shakespeare is representative of my own shortcomings. There are addition reasons, but these are beside the point.

Shakespeare would most likely not have told you that any of his plays were "art."

They were entertainments, and he didn't seem to mean them to be studied...certainly not five hundred years later.

But you bring up an interesting problem about "shortcomings." A failure to appreciate Shakespeare usually stems from either not knowing Renaissance slang or not seeing the plays performed well. An accessible performance usually makes the language difficulty disappear pretty quickly. Thus, it's not necessarily the shortcomings of the audience as the shortcomings of the presentation that determines the level engagement on the audience's part.

With Braid, however, as with any video game, there is a skill level demanded of the player that far exceeds anything required to watch a Shakespeare play.

If you can't figure out what's happening on stage, the play will keep moving. The actors will still perform the whole thing whether you like it or not.

If you can't solve a puzzle in Braid, though, you don't get the whole performance.

Granted, if you can't follow a play you might not get as much out of it as someone else...but it's not like the performance actively withholds information or scenes from you as a punishment for not being dextrous enough. It's not like art museums test you, assess your score, and then decide what exhibits you are allowed to see.

Video games, however, will block your access to certain parts of the game unless prove yourself worthy to view those sequences by the game's own standards (or by hacking).

DPW
03-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Believe me, I get it. I understand it is a treatise on the human condition rendered in the form of a quirky puzzle-platformer. I get it. This fact is not lost on me. I realize some people find deep philosophical meaning in all of this but as for my apparently unintelligent self, I find it less than impressive. Why? Because to anyone who has actually engrossed themselves in any sort of existential debate, this is small fries.

Yeah. I first read Descartes, I dunno, a quarter century ago? Hung out on the Left Bank for a month (speaking of Shakespeare, do check out the eponymous English bookstore there). Do I get my existentialist creds here?

Just because something is said once, doesn't make it worthless to say again. And Braid does a fair job of using game mechanics to underscore the overarching theme. Saying something that's been said before from a different direction in a completely different manner is more than worthwhile.

Besides. The puzzles are fun.

Brew78
03-18-2011, 11:10 AM
As to the original question...

Personally, I found that the thought required to manage all the time-altering effects and finding ways to reach all the puzzle pieces was unlike any other game I've played.

Its not like you have a specific set of time altering powers other than the main one, and each world simply gets progressively harder - each world has its own unique power. And each has very different implications on the physics of that world, like the shadow self or AoE ring.

In addition to that, there are the monsters and cannons that are time-shift immune, as well as platforms that make you immune to your own time reversal.

Each world is its own specific challenge, each play VERY differently, and its one of the very few games I've played in recent years where I actually stood there studying the level to plan out my next attempt (in this case, to reach the puzzle piece).

If you've only played the demo, or World 2 (the first one), you may not be aware of each world being different.

zeroskill
03-30-2011, 06:49 AM
It just isnt for everyone.

Jackalope
05-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I liked the trailer for it. Not sure about the gameplay, but how's the story?

ProudTiger
05-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Too hard and I'm too dumb.

Mogh
05-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Braid isn't for everybody. I loved it, so much that I got several friends to try it, but most of them just didn't "get" it and lost interest in the game pretty quickly. Braid is definitely something else compared to most games though, and for that reason alone I would recommend people to at least try it.

Dunther
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I liked the trailer for it. Not sure about the gameplay, but how's the story?

The story is great, but you should get to the end to fully appreciate it.

MokeSavvy
05-24-2011, 02:44 PM
It was original.
Creative artstyle, clever puzzles and great music.

The story is up for interpretation.

It's also been a large inspiration for many independent developers.

ganner23
06-01-2011, 05:42 AM
It's a game that takes itself for a piece of art. And it's usualy easier to sell crap when you say it's a piece of art.

That said, Braid isn't crap (though it's really short), but it's a very classical puzzle platformer. No need for such a hype, really.

Dunther
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
it's a very classical puzzle platformer

Not so classical, I've never seen a game wich has a so functional time control mechanic...

Borsek
07-09-2011, 08:13 PM
The game is unique in that its story can be understood in multiple ways, depending on personal opinions and experiences, that's the real gem - the story isn't about one thing, it's about perspective, passion, love, life, profession and especially, about relativity, about the concept of learning from your own mistakes, etc... The gameplay is fun and somewhat easy (3.4h played finished with 1 star), but what really makes this game shine, is the altogether atmosphere... you know, that thing that most games made 1991-2000 had but none seem to have today? I'm guessing it's because they were made by smaller teams, dedicated to the project - making games was their passion... nowadays most games are not sculpted, they're pushed out of factories (insert EA bashing here), and have no atmosphere, no love poured into them - therefore they suck. Still, a few gems are released every year, I believe this is one of them :)

Paragraphs.

Narameh
08-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Why do people get hyped up over Braid? In my case, because it's clever. Because, this, finally is a game that isn't easybreezy blowthrough. For me, personally, it's close it perfection. I am not a particularly dextrous person, so I have some troubles pressing the right buttons at the right time, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE puzzles. Especially ones that require you to think differently, out of the box, with new rules. I felt like I was doing brainsports, for the first time in a very, very long while. This, in combination with the amazing implementation of the story, the lovely parallels in the story and the gameplay, the amazing ending, the secret layer, the multiple interpretations suggested in the epilogue made it wonderfull. Not to speak of the beautiful colourscheme and music. Everything fits. Everything has been thought of. Everything is in it's proper place, and has a function (except for the cloud in the epilogue ;)).

If you don't like it, don't like it. That's fine. But for people who, like me, like a challenge, are well versed in both science, philosophy and arts, this must be a hit. It's like coming home and discovering new lands at the same time :).