PDA

View Full Version : Dear Valve, no racism but please disable people joining from non-English countries

darkmoon47
01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Dear Valve,
My team has a hard time trying to communicate with players joining from non English countries. I mean, they will change their steam region to US, then join US games with no ability to speak/understand English whatsoever, not to mention their horrible pings, spoiling the whole point of fun of the game.

The point here is, I understand you have friends from other countries which you wanna play with in your game. That's why, I am saying DISABLE FROM STEAM REGION.

- OR Atleast Valve can do something better about this please. Thank you.

P.S. I have no problems playing with people from other countries, as long as they understand what the team is planning/communicating.

Link-To-This
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I love it when someone who does not have a good grasp of the language gets angry at other people for not understanding them, and ends up a mix of words as they think they are correctly insulting people -.-

synthemesc
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Dear Valve,
My team has a hard time trying to communicate with players joining from non English countries. I mean, they will change their steam region to US, then join US games with no ability to speak/understand English whatsoever, not to mention their horrible pings, spoiling the whole point of fun of the game.

The point here is, I understand you have friends from other countries which you wanna play with in your game. That's why, I am saying DISABLE FROM STEAM REGION.

P.S. I have no problems playing with people from other countries, as long as they understand what the team is planning/communicating.

Does it really happen that often to you? What a silly request...

Mambini
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Are you kidding ?

I would end up playing with 5 persons.

If you had any IDEA of how the poor matchmaking system works, you would NOT ask this.

zorrex
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Wow. I have some friends from South America, and many of their pings never exceed 120, and I'm in New England, AND they speak English. Also have another friend from Sweden, and his ping never exceeds 120, either.

Terrible idea.

john_volkov
01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I have like friends from allmost all countrys , but we all speak english , I'v played a lot on us servers with 200 ping and still abel to pwn some americans, not all people know english it's not valve's fault for that.I really don't even care if you don't speak english if you can anticipate what I am doing no need even for a mic.

defex
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
That's why, I am saying DISABLE FROM STEAM REGION.

[/I]

xenophobia

jasminethecat
01-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe they speak english and just don't want to type or speak?

Non-communicators join games all the time, and to say the issue is caused by non-americans is pretty weak. I vote "no".

Aderdunn
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Dear Valve,

Seriously?LOL
Try to use simple words like "come" and "shoot"...and even more simple like "yes","no","boom","oog"(I know the last one doesn't stand for a word):D
Don't need to tell them the whole plan:p...JK
Also it's a good way to get the feeling from the prehistoric age(u know where humans were in caves and used to hold clubs)
I know that is hard to communicate with people who don't speak much English but they still have(and shall have) the right to play wherever they want to...Like u.

twipps
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Non-communicators join games all the time, and to say the issue is caused by non-americans is pretty weak. I vote "no".

^QFT. Your idea would just exclude people based on a giant blanket assumption. Not nice :[.

LaDeX
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Dear Valve,

The download region has nothing to do with match making.

terb_pl
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Gread idea, but only if it gonna ban russians.

Their country, language and history are bad, and all russian players are rude and unfriendly.
They should be ban.

prophecy holder
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM

It should:

French: All around bad players.

Russian: So annoying and terrible players.

British: Mix of good and bad, also very arrogant and snobbish at times.

American: Mix of good and bad, lots of terrible attitudes.

Chinese/Japanese: Pretty good players, always talking about anime.

Brazilian: Ok players, nothing special.

max2
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Dear Valve,

Horrible idea. I am from the United States and this is the exact reason why I dislike playing with other Americans and refuse to if I can help. Servers in other countries are so much better most of the time. I do prefer a certain language, won't saw which one, but of course I don't really understand it. I do a little but that is about it. Still I don't care I love hearing new languages.

max2
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
It should:

You can't label like that lol. Everyone has bad players. I do have a prefer but won't say. To me it doesn't really matter. Surprised you haven't played with Australians or Koreans yet.

max2
01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Their country, language and history are bad, and all russian players are rude and unfriendly.
They should be ban.

I highly diagree. Played on a coop Russian server before and it was fun as heck! One of the best 3 to 6 hour coop games I have had in the whole Left 4 Dead 2. Though I can't decide what is the top one there is plenty. I had some great versus matches on other servers as well with people from Netherlands, China, Sweden, France and all over.

source-maps
01-19-2011, 01:27 PM
It should:

Dutch: Amazing overall

max2
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Dutch: Amazing overall

I haven't played with many Dutch but they are not bad at all!

defex
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I highly diagree. Played on a coop Russian server before and it was fun as heck! One of the best 3 to 6 hour coop games I have had

chech your social security number,and bank accounts: make sure your not owning a bunch of new credit cards in Uzbekistan .

max2
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
chech your social security number,and bank accounts: make sure your not owning a bunch of new credit cards in Uzbekistan .

Not all Russians are like that. I have news for you Americans, French, Polish, German, Swedish, Danish, British, Romanian, Brazilian, African, Spanish, Mexico, Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, etc all do scams. It is not just one certain group of people.

defex
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Not all Russians are like that. I have news for you Americans, French, Polish, German, Swedish, Danish, British, Romanian, Brazilian, African, Spanish, Mexico, Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, etc all do scams. It is not just one certain group of people.
and what about the Persians ?

Xeesheava
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Dear Valve,

Im from South America and I don't have problem with the language.
Maybe because im learning english languange since I was 6 yo.

Region block is bad, Blizzard did it on Starcraft II and Im stuck with the Latin American/Brazilian Version, a lot of "pinche manito wei" and "uheuehueheuehuehekeheheueheu".... No thanks.

TrenchFeeder
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Dear Valve,

I agree, pisses me off when I get some ♥♥♥♥♥♥ bag who cant understand me when I'm saying "Smoked right behind you, smoked smoked smoked smoked YOU CHING CHONG CHANG SMOKED BEHIND YOU"

Xeesheava
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM

They live in dungeons and jumps deadly traps because a sand clock it's going to run out.

max2
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Im from South America and I don't have problem with the language.
Maybe because im learning english languange since I was 6 yo.

Region block is bad, Blizzard did it on Starcraft II and Im stuck with the Latin American/Brazilian Version, a lot of "pinche manito wei" and "uheuehueheuehuehekeheheueheu".... No thanks.

I agree!. Hate that Blizzard does this. That is why I bought the European version of WOW so I could play with all my friends in Europe.

Is "pinche manito wei" and "uheuehueheuehuehekeheheueheu" Latin Amercian/Brazilian or something like it? I heard Brazilian before because I played on a server where they spoke that I just don't know how the words are spelled just the way they sound. They seem to speak English sometimes when I played there to help me understand.

I always find people nicer from other countries but that is just my opinion.

defex
01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
They live in dungeons and jumps deadly traps because a sand clock it's going to run out.

damn ive been handed a reverse forum sarcasm spell worth 20 damage.

Xeesheava
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree!. Hate that Blizzard does this. That is why I bought the European version of WOW so I could play with all my friends in Europe.

Is "pinche manito wei" and "uheuehueheuehuehekeheheueheu" Latin Amercian/Brazilian or something like it? I heard Brazilian before because I played on a server where they spoke that I just don't know how the words are spelled just the way they sound. They seem to speak English sometimes when I played there to help me understand.

I always find people nicer from other countries but that is just my opinion.

"pinche manito wei" is a mix of mexican and chilean slang, and "ueheheheh" it's how brazilian types the laugh.

prophecy holder
01-19-2011, 02:29 PM

They got thier asses handed to them by the spartans. They are too afraid to do anything now.

infrequent
01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Dear Valve,

Are you trying to make us believe that English is your natural language ?? Troll.

Adik
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
LoL U mad bro?!?!

Zora-Link
01-19-2011, 03:26 PM
A loving message to the OP, in case he isn't trolling:

The US has no official language. Thinking it is English shows your ignorance.

Enjoy being 1% less ignorant.

TheRevanchist
01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
The other players are probably doing the same thing. Complaining about this one American kid who can't speak their language :D

DustArma
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM

It actually does, the Download region influences which games show up in L4D2, once I tried using a random steam server just to download Alien Swarm back when it was just released (Server overload) then I tried playing L4D2, I found about 5 games and all of them spoke korean.

JezMM
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
This is exactly what the radial menu commands are for. If someone isn't keeping up with the rest of the team just spam "Hurry!" at them a few times. "You Take The Lead" while shoving them is enough of a clue for them to take point as well, for example. Best part is, at their end the characters will be saying all this in their own choice of installed language.

It should:

The fact that you group Chinese and Japanese together as if they are the same country shows you know next to nothing about them, lol. You may as well group French and American together too.

Aderdunn
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Horrible idea. I am from the United States and this is the exact reason why I dislike playing with other Americans and refuse to if I can help. Servers in other countries are so much better most of the time. I do prefer a certain language, won't saw which one, but of course I don't really understand it. I do a little but that is about it. Still I don't care I love hearing new languages.

AGREE 100%...I really like everytime I hear German or Japanese:D

max2
01-19-2011, 05:30 PM
AGREE 100%...I really like everytime I hear German or Japanese:D

Well glad I am not alone with loving to hear other languages I may not understand.

Aderdunn
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
The fact that you group Chinese and Japanese together as if they are the same country shows you know next to nothing about them, lol. You may as well group French and American together too.

Great idea...but I have an even greater one...He can groups 2-3 continents together as well;)

misfit410
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
THEY TOOK ERR JAYBBBBBSS!!

henrikhe
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
just the though of only having to play with those who speak my language sends shivers down my neck.

bl4ckrider
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
When I read OP I was hoping for some racist slurrs, stereotypes and insults.

While there are some, I am kinda disappointed.

Can someone please relate the policies of George W. Bush to the way Americans play the game?

I would also like to hear more about how the French have a hard time commicating while eating smelly cheese on their baguettes sideways and downing red wine by the crates.

Making fun of Persians is reasonably fresh, I'd like to point out my newly found homoerotic tendencies after having seen Prince of Persia. Could someone elaborate?

Religion hasn't been much of an issue. Can anyone maybe find a connection between Zombies and Djihad? I would appreciate that.

nekrocop
01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Dear Valve,

I dont live in the US.
Still i know English.
So tell me,how is Valve going to ban every non-US country,because most of us do know english and i dont think me getting banned from "THE GREAT LANDS OF AMERICA",unable to play with my few american friends that are not Jackasses like you.
Stupid Hamburger-eating-fatty-troll-♥♥♥-american.

P.S i dont hate Americans,i like them,but this guy is a paranormal idiot.

Rant over.

VintagePL
01-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Dear Valve, no racism but please disable people joining from non-English countries

No racism, but ban everyone non-English? You are ACTUALLY BEING racist.

Look at me. I'm from Poland. I am talking with English-speaking people for about 2 years. Since the moment I started - I ALMOST WASN'T EVER KICKED FOR MY NATIONALITY! YAY! :D The only time I was kicked - it was in another game. I was BANNED (no only kick option in Sauerbraten FTW) because I joined the server, said "Hi!" and I got kicked by some German racist (I don't have anything bad to GER people, I have so much friends who are German).

I am playing L4D2 very well. I am playing with a lot of English guys (and girls ^^) - they liked me. I wasn't EVER kicked IN L4D2 for my nationality.

So, please, don't be racist because of stereotypes and some random persons who are a clear stereotypes representants.

Gamingliker
01-20-2011, 01:25 AM
No racism, but ban everyone non-English? You are ACTUALLY BEING racist.

Look at me. I'm from Poland. I am talking with English-speaking people for about 2 years. Since the moment I started - I ALMOST WASN'T EVER KICKED FOR MY NATIONALITY! YAY! :D The only time I was kicked - it was in another game. I was BANNED (no only kick option in Sauerbraten FTW) because I joined the server, said "Hi!" and I got kicked by some German racist (I don't have anything bad to GER people, I have so much friends who are German).

I am playing L4D2 very well. I am playing with a lot of English guys (and girls ^^) - they liked me. I wasn't EVER kicked IN L4D2 for my nationality.

So, please, don't be racist because of stereotypes and some random persons who are a clear stereotypes representants.

This.
Although i am singaporean.
But true.Just because he met some non-english speaking people he wants to ban non english speakers from USA servers.And i dont think he meets them that much anyway.Unless he puts his download region in a foreign place.

max2
01-20-2011, 01:25 AM
I was asked a strange question from one of my German friends before but it didn't really bother me. I wasn't surprised though. Not really. Just learned something new about some people there. Not going to think all Germans are like that of course not. Same with anyone else. Just saying that to make sure people know I am not picking on one certain group of people. I find everyone quite fun. Some more so than others! I love the new crazy idea different people come up with from all different countries. Sometimes it makes you smile! That is why I enjoy playing with them so I can experience at least a little bit of another culture again and again. Though I am sure like anyone knows the best way is to actually visit that country especially if you want to learn the language.

I would trade nothing in the world. Not even $1 million dollars to stop playing with people from other countries. It is that good and always will be. Mote people should actually try it.

nyran125
01-20-2011, 02:52 AM
what a horrid thread. yeah, do you get it that often???. Ive played ALL left 4 dead games since the beginning and never EVER come across people that dont speak english. However is it that hard to just vote kick? I have more an issue of people coming on the server and team killing than anything else. Im sure most are smart enough to just follow you and use the character commands the characters have, instead of verbally speaking. Thats why valve put the commands in there in teh first palce, so there was a general vocubulary without needing to speak. same with "Enemy Spotted" In counter strike.

whirlmaster
01-20-2011, 03:16 AM
It should:

Chinese/Japanese: Pretty good players, always talking about anime and have a special affinity for sweat.

Fixed it for you. Whenever crap hits the fan, you can always expect them to say "swt".

scarabD
01-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Dear Valve,

Wow dude. "Communicate" less and play better is the solution for you. And what about kids who are bad in English but still live in your country? If you wanna chat dont play video games because most of people play it for fun.

princos70
01-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Dear Valve,

English-centric much? If the server is not yours, you are not entitled to force a particular language, imho.

Why not open your mind and learn something other than English and communicate with that players?

pyster
01-20-2011, 05:53 AM
How about we just keep you from joining any games at all. Problem solved.

When someone joins and doesnt speak english the answer is to just deal. Doing anything else is basically being a xenophobic jerk.

pyster
01-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Wow dude. "Communicate" less and play better is the solution for you. And what about kids who are bad in English but still live in your country? If you wanna chat dont play video games because most of people play it for fun.

You hit the nail on the head; PLAY BETTER. The lack of communication ability adds a layer of difficultly to a game, and difficultly is always fun.

Kinkade!
01-20-2011, 05:56 AM
I like the idea!

Just because it seems to be annoying a lot of people :)

princos70
01-20-2011, 05:59 AM

When someone joins and doesnt speak english the answer is to just deal. Doing anything else is basically being a xenophobic jerk.

Valve could improve the "command wheel". Chat&voice at same time (now is only voice, with few commands)

I know there are lots of phrases done but using them is cumbersome - like the community maps - .

misfit410
01-20-2011, 06:00 AM

That's going too far, the key to this game is communication.. if you lack it, you're bound to fail. The guy is not being "Xenophobic" he's just frustrated with how often it happens.

But on the other hand, some Countries just don't have many players or servers, my brother in law in China loves to play PC games but there are next to no servers there, so he always plays on American servers.

max2
01-20-2011, 06:20 AM
That's going too far, the key to this game is communication.. if you lack it, you're bound to fail. The guy is not being "Xenophobic" he's just frustrated with how often it happens.

But on the other hand, some Countries just don't have many players or servers, my brother in law in China loves to play PC games but there are next to no servers there, so he always plays on American servers.

Yeah when I went through all the Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 servers at one time I only saw up to maybe 50, if your lucky, servers from China supposedly. No guarantee but from the ping I would say they were. I played on them before a few times. Yeah I get a high ping, sometimes can't understand the in game text in the console or wherever, but it was fun. They offer a lot of custom map servers which is good! At least from what I have seen.

Xeesheava
01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Anyway, I love the way some people try to hide their racism under the statement "no racism but..." and then rush with a xenophobic comentary.
Obviously I know in America any racism related commentary will leave to some lawsuit or asking for a monetary compensation.
But they can't expect we pretend it's all ok when they say something like that.
"Im not racist, but all the china people must be dead" Obviously is a racist commentary but I said first "Im not racist", so... we are fine, right?

misfit410
01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Anyway, I love the way some people try to hide their racism under the statement "no racism but..." and then rush with a xenophobic comentary.
Obviously I know in America any racism related commentary will leave to some lawsuit or asking for a monetary compensation.
But they can't expect we pretend it's all ok when they say something like that.
"Im not racist, but all the china people must be dead" Obviously is a racist commentary but I said first "Im not racist", so... we are fine, right?

Wanting to have a team speak the same language you do for effectiveness, has nothing to do with ones race. I mean if you have a French Canadian who only speaks French to you, it's a white guy you still can't communicate with. He says no racism, because he just knows some dips**t is going to tie it to race.

Forblaze
01-20-2011, 07:36 AM
i like how some people prefer to play with people outside USA
im from el salvador,

Prepucius
01-20-2011, 07:38 AM
I like how OP trolled you guys out of your panties without making a single reply to his own thread. Masterly.

max2
01-20-2011, 08:06 AM
i like how some people prefer to play with people outside USA
im from el salvador,

Same here! I played with Left 4 Dead 2 with someone from around there. All I can remember is he was South American can't remember where extactly though at this time.

Very nice guy and even didn't mind talking about some cool supernatural stuff. Then again that is what I like about South America and even other countries they are more open to ideas way out there like me. Hopefully more people from there play Left 4 Dead!

I wonder what country plays it the most?

ZombieHunterNL
01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Seriously?LOL
Try to use simple words like "come" and "shoot"...and even more simple like "yes","no","boom","oog"(I know the last one doesn't stand for a word):D
Also it's a good way to get the feeling from the prehistoric age(u know where humans were in caves and used to hold clubs)
I know that is hard to communicate with people who don't speak much English but they still have(and shall have) the right to play wherever they want to...Like u.

Thats Dutch for Eyeball you know:p
anyway,disallowing people on steam seams like a direct insult to any other language then English to me.

TheAlphaMale
01-20-2011, 08:25 AM
No idea why so many are crying about it when it would be upto that person whether they could turn it on or off for themselves.

max2
01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
anyway,disallowing people on steam seams like a direct insult to any other language then English to me.

Is it really? oog! oog! I like it goes well for Left 4 Dead but we never see any zombie eyeballs :( To bad. I know some people hate anything doing with that. Especially in horror films.

I agree with that though. I bet there is more people in the world that speak another language rather than English than that do. India, Japan, or China alone may do that. If you include all the world though that is a definite. I know there is more English websites but some have dual languages which I always love. More should do that! I think Chinese or Japanese websites are catching up though.

RugbyOddjob
01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
I love it how a racist comment is often preceeded by "I'm not a racist but....".

Fact: The highest English speaking nation (by population) on Earth is INDIA (America is a lowly 19th)

Fact: Most European countries have English as a second language. What additional languages do you speak OP?

Personally I speak English (mother tongue), Norwegian, German and French, plus bits and bobs of similar languages (Swedish is similar to Norwegian, the latin languages have a common structure in the main etc.)

You see OP I made an effort. You on the other hand demand that only those that can communicate with your lack of ability in any other language can play.

I'm looking forward to your next thread "Dear Valve I couldn't believe it when a person with a different skin colur actually sat near me on the bus. Please ensure this doesn't happen again".

Which may be followed by.....

"Dear Valve. I played last night and this person who prefers man on man action joined. I was shocked and appalled at this. Please ensure that all players are white, heterosexual and English speaking in future".

Sunday I played and got 3 French randoms in my team. Did I stomp off and demand no more French from the manufacturer of an INTERNATIONAL game and that, by the wonders of the Interwebs, can send me to a French server, cease and desist in this? No. I muddled on and tried to enjoy the game. After all I was their visitor.

OP you are racist. Fact. You don't think you are, but that is called race-blindness. And Valve can't cure that.

谢谢
Dank u
Merci
Σας ευχαριστούμε
Grazie
ありがとう
Thanks ;)

Zora-Link
01-20-2011, 09:39 AM
All these responses, and I still love the fact that the US isn't an english country, but people are treating it as if it is :)

mugenfan99
01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow. I have some friends from South America, and many of their pings never exceed 120, and I'm in New England, AND they speak English. Also have another friend from Sweden, and his ping never exceeds 120, either.

Terrible idea.

same here, I'm friends with a few people from Brazil and South America AND they speak relatively good english and have good pings. also @OP if it bothers you so freaking much, then just play friends only games :P

darkmoon47
01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Seriously?LOL

Yeah? Try to do that when you're in middle of a crucial point in versus and explain those idiots who don't even understand even words like HELP. Which follows a next question: How you gonna teach them important spots to attack when they can't even understand and reply you back?

To others, I was NOT saying don't let your damn friends deny their access. Instead, don't allow others like them to change their locations and join in.

How about this: Only let people join server groups like 10 vs 10 (there are plenty of them there), let them join their games, you also join in and play with people from other nations and THEN, add them to your friends list and play with them. BUT, in regular versus, DENY their access from changing their steam region.

AGAIN, if you got friends, you WILL BE ABLE to invite them and play with them, BUT RANDOM IDIOTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN REGULAR VERSUS/REALISM VERSUS.

P.S. You are NINJA'd: I ain't American. I made thread to show how poor it is when SOME idiots join and ruin versus/realism versus games when they can't even co-operate with you. Are there any radial commands for infected? NO. Besides, I do have friends from other countries which are good and play regularly. But when it comes to random person joining and not understanding you, it just wastes time and fun.

Ninefingers
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I never have been able to figure out why so many people have a hard time understanding that race is a prerequisite for racism.

It has nothing to do with what language you speak, what country you are a citizen of, or whether you stand or squat to pee.

If it is not specifically related to race, its discrimination or prejudice, not racism.

DPW
01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Oddly, in L4D, I only seem to encounter North Americans with the occasional UK sort thrown in. Must be my timezone.

But I've played other games which seem more multinational, and it's one of the great things about multi-player online games. It's like getting to travel a bit and meet people. Of course, if you're not into that, I guess that could be a problem.

Now that I think about it, it's probably a miracle I never got abused for my mauvais francais (see, can't even type a cedille!)

P.S. Just to forstall the inevitable "Americans don't speak proper English" from our brethren across the pond to the east, I've got a Geordie mother in law. Until you get everyone in your country speaking perfect Received P, you haven't room to judge. Excuse me...y'all ain't got no room to be judging us, ya hear?

synthemesc
01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
If it is not specifically related to race, its discrimination or prejudice, not racism.

+rep

People just can't seem to grasp that simple concept. The dislike of different languages or region someone lives has nothing to do with "race."

caucasian, asian, black/african, etc, blah blah are examples of race.

The funny part, to me at least, is that the same people crying racism! racism! are just as bad as the racists and are usually somewhat racist themselves.

misfit410
01-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I never have been able to figure out why so many people have a hard time understanding that race is a prerequisite for racism.

It has nothing to do with what language you speak, what country you are a citizen of, or whether you stand or squat to pee.

Apparently you did not get the memo, owning guns makes you racist, as does wanting lower taxes, you need to keep up.

max2
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
+rep

People just can't seem to grasp that simple concept. The dislike of different languages or region someone lives has nothing to do with "race."

The funny part, to me at least, is that the same people crying racism! racism! are just as bad as the racists themselves and are usually somewhat racist themselves.

I totally agree. Love when someone speaks a different language then the person expects when they see them. It is awesome but seeing other people's faces when it happens is priceless.

Ninefingers
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Apparently you did not get the memo, owning guns makes you racist, as does wanting lower taxes, you need to keep up.

DAMMIT, I guess I've been a racist all these years and didn't know it.

max2
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Same here.

BigBurger
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
It should:

And what is with Germans ? xD

misfit410
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I totally agree. Love when someone speaks a different language then the person expects when they see them. It is awesome but seeing other people's faces when it happens is priceless.

I'm still waiting for Dave Matthews to win an African American musical achievement award.

Mizkei
01-20-2011, 11:25 AM

They should be ban.
I have met many good and friendly russians. They can't change their history if you didn't know that

Lord Gremlin
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, I'm Russian and my steam region is set to Russia, yet when I've been actively playing L4D2 I've often been matched with people from Germany, Poland, UK etc. It's no big deal since most people actually speak English, no matter where they're from.
It's kinda curious how every time some ♥♥♥♥head start labeling other people morons who don't know how to play it actually occurs that this very person is the biggest ♥♥♥♥. Take a break, peace out.
To summarize: STFU OP, you ♥♥♥♥ing butthurt racist.

Lord Gremlin
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I have met many good and friendly russians. They can't change their history if you didn't know that
Well, thanks for your kindness, I usually indeed behave friendly in online games. But let's leave the history where it belongs. Otherwise we may as well resort to considering every German a ♥♥♥♥.

synthemesc
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm Russian and my steam region is set to Russia, yet when I've been actively playing L4D2 I've often been matched with people from Germany, Poland, UK etc. It's no big deal since most people actually speak English, no matter where they're from.
It's kinda curious how every time some ♥♥♥♥head start labeling other people morons who don't know how to play it actually occurs that this very person is the biggest ♥♥♥♥. Take a break, peace out.
To summarize: STFU OP, you ♥♥♥♥ing butthurt racist.

psssstttt.. :cough: let me say this AGAIN.

The dislike of different languages or the region someone lives has nothing to do with "race."

The OP made no mention of skin color and even tried to tell people he wasn't trying to be racist.

Besides, if you didn't already know, different cultures have slightly different ideas of what is "fun" and/or acceptable behavior. Face it, some cultures don't mesh well together and they probably never will. You can't expect people to want to play with people that can't communicate with them and that sure as hell doesn't make them racist.

Lord Gremlin
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM

The OP made no mention of skin color and even tried to tell people he wasn't trying to be racist.
Well, you're right, It's not actually racism. Heck, Russia, USA, even Germany, France and many other EU countries are multinational. This however doesn't change the fact that his attitude is at it's core similar to one of a racist/♥♥♥♥.

It's hilarious how some people still don't realize that there are [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] in each and every country. And same goes for nice people, I for example have steam friends from all major EU countries.

Jayjones
01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
every person that i've ever played with that doesn't speak english were spanish speakers (i'd say mexican, or hispanic, but what if they white??)

they will understand you when you write "boom" or "shoot" or "tank" or "medkit" or...

yeah

JohannasGarden
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Besides, if you didn't already know, different cultures have slightly different ideas of what is "fun" and/or acceptable behavior. Face it, some cultures don't mesh well together and they probably never will. You can't expect people to want to play with people that can't communicate with them and that sure as hell doesn't make them racist.

Well, while "racism" wouldn't be the word for it, I do think that the OP displayed a willingness to both overgeneralize about a group of players based on the language they speak AND suggest a change that would make many servers off-limits to people logging in from certain countries based on these generalizations. And to be honest, I find that when someone starts a comment with "no racism, but..." what follows is usually racist or offensive in a related way.

I personally like playing with Spanish-speaking players (good practice for me) and have a Brazilian steam friend who often invites me to games, though I don't speak Portuguese at all. I find that if we each speak our own language, simplify what we say, say someone's name when you are directing your comment at them, etc. we usually pick up on what others are saying. Given that English is usually the second language of the South American people I've met, and they often hardly know Spanish if Portuguese is their first language (or vice versa) at all, I can't imagine how such a policy would be handled in South America.

Most of my friends from non-English speaking countries are people I met in hard to find public games like a custom campaign or a Scavenge lobby for something other than the top 3 maps. It wasn't that the other players reset their download region, it was that the only Welcome to Hell game with an open slot had 3 players from Argentina on it.

HolisticCookie
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Found on a Japanese Server (can't remember the whole quote but you'll get the gist of it)

"...the average japanese player is better than any other western player...."

Racism goes both ways.....

jmendes
01-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Congratulations on the most stupid thread ever.

IIRoflCopterII
01-21-2011, 01:18 AM
It should:

At least you can get some freindly player at times! Unlike COD Games where everyone is a :mad::mad::mad:

exonwarrior
01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Lets not forget the 12yo who shouldn't even be playing.

I've played L4D2 for quite a few months now. I've played on many different servers, with people of many different nationalities. Thankfully, a lot of people speak English, to varying degrees, or French, or Polish(and thanks to Polish, I can semi-understand Russian).

maybe pings would be an issue. But generally, it's ok. Heck, as someone has stated before on this thread, it adds more difficulty and innovation to a game, trying to figure out how to coordinated.

Aderdunn
01-21-2011, 02:58 AM

Oh,seriously:eek:?!I didn't know...Sorry about that...When you say "oog" in Greek is a very simple and funny word which refers to cavemans'way of speaking in prehistoric age...:D

pwet
01-21-2011, 04:04 AM
It should:

You do realize how stupid you look ? Nice clichés you got here, americans are fat, french stinks and are arrogant, germans are ♥♥♥♥♥... etc yeh we know timmy, you're gonna far kid. I'm sure that most of the players from those said "bad" countries would absolutely demolish your ♥♥♥.

@OP, rent a server, play with friends, stop crying.

Aderdunn
01-21-2011, 04:45 AM
谢谢
Dank u
Merci
Σας ευχαριστούμε
Grazie
ありがとう
Thanks ;)

You are one person,right?If yes:
I think that u wanted to say "Σας ευχαριστώ" not "Σας ευχαριστούμε"
Just a helpful advice:)

Aderdunn
01-21-2011, 05:02 AM
every person that i've ever played with that doesn't speak english were spanish speakers (i'd say mexican, or hispanic, but what if they white??)

they will understand you when you write "boom" or "shoot" or "tank" or "medkit" or...

yeah

If ur message refers to me:...I just made a joke for the racist guy who posted this thread!!!Of course most of the guys/girls(including me) won't understand someone who says/writes only one word per time:)

CosmicD
01-21-2011, 05:21 AM
dutch and belgian players: all good
players from seattle are noobs :P

HomerSimpson
01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
I haven't played with many Dutch but they are not bad at all!

dutch and belgian players: all good
players from seattle are noobs :P

Thanks! :D

misfit410
01-21-2011, 07:46 AM

yeah

Yea, I think everyone has had a South American in their game, most times they are not too bad.... but the most common thing people remember is.

ZaMoker, ZaMoker.. I'm Zamoked..

prophecy holder
01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Yea, I think everyone has had a South American in their game, most times they are not too bad.... but the most common thing people remember is.

ZaMoker, ZaMoker.. I'm Zamoked..

Is he saying he wants a cup of cold coffee?

RugbyOddjob
01-21-2011, 07:54 AM
You are one person,right?If yes:
I think that u wanted to say "Σας ευχαριστώ" not "Σας ευχαριστούμε"
Just a helpful advice:)

It was more of a general "Thank You" so blame Google Translate or whatever it was I used.

The japanese may be wrong because I'm sure that says (phoentic) moowakareyo. :confused:

The point is that OP made some sweeping statements and if they tried to at learn some additional languages, it may open up a wealth of other opportunities.

Godwhacker
01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
You crazy Americans...

Here in England I actually prefer to play with people from Holland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland. They're generally fun people to chat to and they speak fluent English, which is more than can be said for many other Brits and much more than can be said for whiny 14-year-old Yanks ;)

Anyway, French and German players seem to have worked out how to play the games with other people that speak the same language- why the hell can't you? Just join a gaming community and schedule some games. Problem solved.

Aderdunn
01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
It was more of a general "Thank You" so blame Google Translate or whatever it was I used.

The japanese may be wrong because I'm sure that says (phoentic) moowakareyo. :confused:

The point is that OP made some sweeping statements and if they tried to at learn some additional languages, it may open up a wealth of other opportunities.

I like watching animes regularly so I think that Thank U in Japanese is Arigatō (ありがとう)...

About ur last paragraph:Agree!!!:)Seriously,this kind of selfish behavior won't help him/her go any further...

RugbyOddjob
01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I like watching animes regularly so I think that Thank U in Japanese is Arigatō (ありがとう)...

About ur last paragraph:Agree!!!:)Seriously,this kind of selfish behavior won't help him/her go any further...

I know this but there is a very similar looking set of Japanese characters that mean "I must leave you now" or "goodbye forever" (depending on who you believe)

It is pronounced Moo-wa-karay-oo.

devilbunny
01-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't object to language barriers per se, though it certainly makes coordination difficult when I'm the only English speaker on the server. I've had really good games with Swedish or Polish speaking teams, though I have no idea what they were talking about.

Dan_the_pest
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm from Slovenia and I speak English fluently and (shockingly) better than the majority of US players I meet in-game. I've met more German, Swedish and Russian players who speak English properly compared to US players I've met.

ecto_ninja
01-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm not really bothered by non-English speakers, once they don't talk nonstop into the microphone - but then, I'm equally annoyed when English speakers do that too, so it's not a language problem. Once someone is a good player, he or she will basically know what to do and playing isn't an issue unless you're on realism expert or something where you need clear and constant communication.

The problem arises when you don't speak the language and everyone runs ahead and you get smoked or pounced somewhere and they don't understand what you're saying. But then, 1) they're inconsiderate players for rushing (not a fan of rushing, this game is about teamwork for me and therefore I like my team to stick together) and 2) if there are three Esperanto or Hindi or Afrikaans speakers on your team and you're the only one who only speaks English...well, that's your shortcoming there, buddy. Either become conversant in multiple languages, play friends-only, or just leave and rejoin games until you have a full English-speaking team. L4D2 is international, people all over the world play it, not everyone speaks English. How on earth did this even become a forum issue?

GLaw
01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Thank you Ninefingers for clearing up the the misuse of the word racism.

I too like to play with people I can understand. Oh my god, I'm the devil!

Have we run out of things to discuss about the game? I think so.

/forum

SpaceF
03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
i´m brazilian, from Rio de Janeiro. My english is poor, but i can speak with goods and patients players. On last week i played a expert campaign with one brazilian, one american and one canadian. The game has been amazing, with a lot of blood. Nice team.

Sorry me, but if you need be boxed with a few players i prefer play with ALL the World.

Zora-Link
03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
i´m brazilian, from Rio de Janeiro. My english is poor, but i can speak with goods and patients players. On last week i played a expert campaign with one brazilian, one american and one canadian. The game has been amazing, with a lot of blood. Nice team.

Sorry me, but if you need be boxed with a few players i prefer play with ALL the World.

Why would you bring this ignorant thread back. :eek:

Un4gvn
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I just let my .44 do all the talking ;-()

Karma Jockey
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Necro...

irogue
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
This is like saying please don't let ppl into coutnries who cannot speak the native language..

Seriously this is one of the worst requests ive seen to date, it isn't going to happen as for other players in certain regions being good or bad players with differeing mannerisms well that is called diversity, if you cannot accept this then i seriously believe youw ill have issues everywhere you go.

Un4gvn
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Once, I said in-game that I was living in California. One of the players started shouting, 'USA, you suck!' and then started fraggin me. I guess Americans arn't loved the world over :-{

SpaceF
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
We have good and bad players on all countries, not only in USA.

Karma Jockey
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Once, I said in-game that I was living in California. One of the players started shouting, 'USA, you suck!' and then started fraggin me. I guess Americans arn't loved the world over :-{

European's are typically the ones who do this. I live in Canada, everyone likes Canada (except for the US).

Blobman001
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Way to be an inconsiderate bastard -.-

Bluefox112
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Are you trying to make us believe that English is your natural language ?? Troll.

You're kidding right? So now speaking and understanding English perfectly isn't good enough anymore, if your mother tongue is something else?

For some people, the world is quite small. Ever go far from your trailer?

Zora-Link
03-10-2011, 02:17 PM
You're kidding right? So now speaking and understanding English perfectly isn't good enough anymore, if your mother tongue is something else?

For some people, the world is quite small. Ever go far from your trailer?

You're responding to someone from nearly two months ago.

:rolleyes:

Tyrant vs Tank
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I play with people from germany, portugal, england, etc.

For the most part, the experience is good. You do run into the occasional griefers though who grief based on your nationality.

Two of them came in one time on a modded 10 player campaign server and just did things like not help others and shoot others when they would get up. Then do nothing when the tanks arrived and when I called them out on it they exploded.

BTW AMERICA LOST THE VIETNAM WAR!!!!!

Its not the nationality that matters. There are griefers who play this game the world over. Over here and over there.

Bluefox112
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
You're responding to someone from nearly two months ago.

:rolleyes:

Wow, you're right. Sorry, First time I see this thread but didn't notice when it started.

Sorry about that

Poot
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
European's are typically the ones who do this. I live in Canada, everyone likes Canada (except for the US).

Aww, no, you're like our little brother, and no one can pick on our little brother but us. :)

(All jokes aside, the US likes Canada...it's hard to hate such polite people haha)

Psychological
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Aww, no, you're like our little brother, and no one can pick on our little brother but us. :)

(All jokes aside, the US likes Canada...it's hard to hate such polite people haha)

The ketchup potato thing helps too.

DESIDEvivix
03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Idiotic at best.

If this is implemented there better be an option to exclude xenophobic people like OP so I don't have to hear such ridiculous thoughts in game

Hivomnomnom
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
It should:

Brazilian: Ok players, but super annoying tags like [/123] BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[347287582356872568] in their steam names and whenever something goes wrong "FDPFDPFDPFDPFDP"

fixed

Kazaanh
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Learn to use vocalizes.

bloodfox1222
03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
You can't label like that lol. Everyone has bad players. I do have a prefer but won't say. To me it doesn't really matter. Surprised you haven't played with Australians or Koreans yet.

Austrailians are to busy wrestling aligators and hunting to play games

/RacistJokeImSorry

BmB23
03-11-2011, 02:09 AM
I think the best part about online gaming is the frenchmen rambling on in their incomprehensible language over voicechat.

Seriously, I love it. It's a great language. So screw if I don't understand a word of them and vice versa.

Thingy Person
03-11-2011, 03:28 AM
I think the best part about online gaming is the frenchmen rambling on in their incomprehensible language over voicechat.

Seriously, I love it. It's a great language. So screw if I don't understand a word of them and vice versa.

I understand quite a bit of french, and they're always calling people noobs, as well as various feces-related slurs.

yuri1622
03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm from Brazil and i dont mind playing with people from other places. Only bother with this when i play with stupid people. BTW IN BRAZIL WE SPEAK PORTUGUESE NOT SPANISH ♥♥♥♥ U KIDS!

Psychological
03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I used to love playing The Hidden mod for HL2 because it was mostly populated by the brits.
So, I could understand them fine, and I could listen to that accent ALLLL day long.

Thingy Person
03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I used to love playing The Hidden mod for HL2 because it was mostly populated by the brits.
So, I could understand them fine, and I could listen to that accent ALLLL day long.

I know right (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDI3PZuWgkE#t=0m53s) :D

ProudJedi23
03-11-2011, 12:47 PM
bad idea becouse some ppl like am dont have enought players for the game in my contry Ukraine for exemple there nobody almost nobody dont play l4d 1 - 2
and about my internet i am dont have good ping on russian region so i am play on UK or Germany regions there better pings and many ppl for play with them so NO very bad idea dude.

Psychological
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
"dear valve, no racism, but please implement a racist idea"

*facepalm*

Ufosxm
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Maybe they should match pings instead of language. When I am playing with swedish people (I'm from Sweden) there are almost always russians who jump in and have like 150 ping. Its playable though. Sometimes irritating when the ping exceeds around 200, and the characters are literally lagging across the screen, step by step. Its hard to hit them with the Jockey =)

OisinLoke
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Why doesn't the OP just play with friends..?

ImJTHM
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I think this is a legitimate complaint.
OP just wants to be able to play with just people who speak his language. To me, this is a half decent idea.

At least if a twelve year old joins and dies, you can yell at him. Now, if it's a RUSSIAN twelve year old, you can't even vent at him effectively.

Everyone! Get on the bandwagon! Assume OP is racist because he wants to play with people who SPEAK ENGLISH!

zapmunk
03-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I detect large quantities of racism and xenophobia in this thread.

if someone cant communicate, kick them. but not everybody from somewhere else is english-impaired.

cico34
03-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I love it when someone who does not have a good grasp of the language gets angry at other people for not understanding them, and ends up a mix of words as they think they are correctly insulting people -.-

"I deep bake your pancake dog."

Me: Waaaaaat?

iceman78772
03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Dear Valve,

Make it like instead of saying spanish it says espenol or whatever and the french translated into a french language so people might stay away from that.

prophecy holder
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Austrailians are to busy wrestling aligators and hunting to play games

/RacistJokeImSorry

Since when did Austrailians become a race? There is only one race my boy and that's the human race. It's only racist to claim otherwise because when you start dividing people into different races it only leads to "my race is better than your race" attitudes.

Do we need another Holocaust?

The Hop Goblin
03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
There is only one race my boy and that's the human race.

The Martian Delegation objects to your rampant racism.

prophecy holder
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
The Martian Delegation objects to your rampant racism.

Don't worry, ♥♥♥♥ Cheney will tell the martians to shut the ♥♥♥♥ up. Then he'll take the martian ambassador quail hunting and have another "accident". ;)

Wasted
03-14-2011, 01:49 PM
In America we speak American dammit!

prophecy holder
03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
This community likes to contradict itself a lot of times. They keep saying L4D2 is a team based game and if you are not a team player, you should be kicked at all times. So tell me this guys, how is having a person not being able to speak english going to be a good team player? Got three people speaking english and the other speaking something you haven't heard before.

Is it ok to play with others who can only speak your language? No, not according to the forums. Will it be ok to kick him? Hell no, that's "racist".

So what are we to do?

raptor67
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Just disable Russian and French localization files and you should be fine.

Seriously, most people who do not live in America or England can still speak English.

ImJTHM
03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
This thread is exaactly why I don't play L4D2 anymore.
Not the OP, he has a legitimate complaint.

Listen to everyone else. "ITS RACIST" "ITS NATIONALITY" "IT BLAHBLAH"

You're all idiots or trolls, except like four of you.

Cymen90
03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I love it how a racist comment is often preceeded by "I'm not a racist but....".

Fact: The highest English speaking nation (by population) on Earth is INDIA (America is a lowly 19th)

Fact: Most European countries have English as a second language. What additional languages do you speak OP?

Personally I speak English (mother tongue), Norwegian, German and French, plus bits and bobs of similar languages (Swedish is similar to Norwegian, the latin languages have a common structure in the main etc.)

You see OP I made an effort. You on the other hand demand that only those that can communicate with your lack of ability in any other language can play.

I'm looking forward to your next thread "Dear Valve I couldn't believe it when a person with a different skin colur actually sat near me on the bus. Please ensure this doesn't happen again".

Which may be followed by.....

"Dear Valve. I played last night and this person who prefers man on man action joined. I was shocked and appalled at this. Please ensure that all players are white, heterosexual and English speaking in future".

Sunday I played and got 3 French randoms in my team. Did I stomp off and demand no more French from the manufacturer of an INTERNATIONAL game and that, by the wonders of the Interwebs, can send me to a French server, cease and desist in this? No. I muddled on and tried to enjoy the game. After all I was their visitor.

OP you are racist. Fact. You don't think you are, but that is called race-blindness. And Valve can't cure that.

谢谢
Dank u
Merci
Σας ευχαριστούμε
Grazie
ありがとう
Thanks ;)

All of this.
+rep

Psychological
03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Why is this thread still alive?

Cymen90
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Why is this thread still alive?

Becuase you are bumping it :o
wait....
:eek:

prophecy holder
03-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Becuase you are bumping it :o
wait....
:eek:

Yes it happens every now and then....
D'OH!:o

Thingy Person
03-15-2011, 05:52 AM
This community likes to contradict itself a lot of times. They keep saying L4D2 is a team based game and if you are not a team player, you should be kicked at all times. So tell me this guys, how is having a person not being able to speak english going to be a good team player? Got three people speaking english and the other speaking something you haven't heard before.

My opinion is; If you want to play L4D as a team-based game, find friends, or a group, and play in an organised way. If you want to just hop into a game with no effort, then shut up and tolerate the people you end up playing with.

FreneticSpeed
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
i just love how a thread that starts with "no racism" is actually full of it. please continue.

Lenny77
03-15-2011, 08:41 AM
This is borderline funny in that it is so non-politically correct that I almost seems like a troll job. I did say "almost". I get his point, though, in that it is tough to function (especially in vs.) if you don't understand each other. Other games had dedicated servers for different countries. So if you were Brazilian and wanted to play with other portuguese-speaking people, you could connect to one of those servers. Same for Korea, China, Japan, Germany, Russia, French and Spanish-speaking countries. That requires a lot of dedicated servers, though and it doesn't prevent people from connecting to the ones they want anyway. All that said, maybe some people are coming on to practice their English. They'll learn very useful words like "Pwnd" and "WTF!?!" as well as a variety of curse words.

Lenny77
03-15-2011, 08:47 AM
fixed

Haha!! FDP = Filho da puta = son of a ♥♥♥♥♥

Brazilians are some funny mofos

Razor118171
03-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Haha!! FDP = Filho da puta = son of a ♥♥♥♥♥

Brazilians are some funny mofos

Not just brazilians, portuguese have those too! Don't forget us portuguese!

Gurluas
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
I am sorry for this, I really am, but I support this.
Sometimes you need 1 more person and I feel bad having to kick some random guy because he cant communicate.

But l4d is a social game and communicating is an absolute must.
They should make region based servers like WoW did.

Sud
03-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I am sorry for this, I really am, but I support this.
Sometimes you need 1 more person and I feel bad having to kick some random guy because he cant communicate.

But l4d is a social game and communicating is an absolute must.
They should make region based servers like WoW did.

They threw that idea out the window by introducing three spanish speaking realms onto the US Central battlegroup.

Un4gvn
03-15-2011, 11:49 AM
In America we speak American dammit!

Because we're Mericans with a capital 'M' !

infrequent
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Dear Valve,

Why is understanding English a necessity ? Maybe the problem is the many languages that YOU are not able communicate in !

prophecy holder
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Why is understanding English a necessity ? Maybe the problem is the many languages that YOU are not able communicate in !

So I ran into a store and need to pick up an item because I am in a hurry. I go ask a clerk for the item and he doesn't speak english. He makes hand gestures and it doesn't help because he doesn't speak english.

i guess it's wrong of me for not knowing his language, even though he lives in an country dominate by the english language and is a store clerk so he can't help the majority of people who come in.

The logic this forum sometimes spews is so astonishingly bad at times it makes me wonder how these peple manage to remember how to breathe.

P.S.

Yes this actually happened to me. Instead spending 3 minutes at the store I had to spend more time looking for a clerk that spoke english.

Ninefingers
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM

By all accounts, english is currently considered the international auxillary language.

It is globally acceptable to expect someone to speak english. If your native language is Urdu, you are expected to know english if you want to communicate with anyone outside of Pakistan, for example.

aquarius
03-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Dear Valve,

I see... you're one of those US dumb kids(and they are many) who believe world is only Americas not like Europe, Africa, Asia etc..

NabsterHax
03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Asking people to learn every other language in the world is unreasonable. Lots of people know how to speak english as a second language and therefore people who speak english as a first language are a bit stuck. Sure, they can learn another language, but chances are online, you're not gonna run into people who speak that language that don't already use english.

I still feel embarrassed, though. Especially when everyone on my team is french or german and they ALL have to speak english for me.