PDA

View Full Version : Nice game, sound sucks.

eagleFMJ
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Just realized I had access to beta after seeing this was to be released tomorrow.

Looking at the videos and screens its looks awesome and a must buy as it's different then anything I have seen in awhile. Sorta like Mad Max RTS. :D

I like the looks and feel this the game, GUI and ingame graphics are decent.

In game there is no way to customize controls ingame, but you can edit a text file in the game files to do this.

There are no environment (outside) ambient sounds also melee, vehicles, and factories have no sound effects aswell.

This game reminds me of borderlands in a way, I suggest the developers play it and take note of the sound effects when outside.

Imagine playing Total War or COH with no outside ambient sounds. Of course when battles start you don't notice outside noises, but setting up you bases before battles and in between waves of attacks its adds to the realism.

Kudos to this independent developer for a pretty cool game, but with these sounds added the game could be so much better.

eagle

tunguska47
01-20-2011, 04:05 AM
i was told the game was gonna be free

after watching 1 gameplay video it should be free

chalkman
01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Maybe someone could provide a more useful response cause I am also kind of curious about this now. Sound is kind of important in games.

eagleFMJ
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
It's like a silent movie in game form. BTW 95% of the time I turn game music off.

I am sure lots of people will still enjoy the game though. =)

eagleFMJ
01-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Well I went ahead and bought it anyway, I like to support small Indie companies.

I thought they were going to charge alot more for the game, I mean it even has the feel of a game in the 20-30$ range, at 10-15$ that's a deal.

But I still hate the fact that there's no environment/vehicle/melee sounds. Really hope they add these soon.

I can't believe more of you do not feel the same way. Do most of you care if there is the above mentioned sounds in rts games? Please by all means voice your opinion!

Mark Currie
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
We appreciate your support and the feedback. I agree the sound fx could be better. We had to pick and choose where to focus our resources, and ultimately we focused on other areas of the game. Hopefully we can address the sfx in an update.

Music is another story. I personally like the music in APOX very much. A very talented musician from this company composed the music www.xtruist.com.

flava_clown
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
I can't believe more of you do not feel the same way. Do most of you care if there is the above mentioned sounds in rts games? Please by all means voice your opinion!

usualy i do care. and i do care about userunfriendly DRM and that's why i don't care if this game have ambient sound or not, coz i am not going to buy it. at least not until they remove this 3rd party DRM from the steam version. i am not going to support any developer who treats me like Ubisoft does!

Haku
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Well I went ahead and bought it anyway, I like to support small Indie companies.

I thought they were going to charge alot more for the game, I mean it even has the feel of a game in the 20-30$ range, at 10-15$ that's a deal.

But I still hate the fact that there's no environment/vehicle/melee sounds. Really hope they add these soon.

Yes, some of those sounds might just add a little more depth to the whole environment, I agree, but personally, it wouldn't make much difference to me as while playing, my focus is always on either kicking the enemy's a$$ or saving my own :D

I agree with you completely on the price part. The game has got some very unique features, and once you're familiar with them, it's hell lot of fun, especially the multiplayers! It's clearly underpriced, but then, that surely benefits us customers, isn't it? :)

DuckStab
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
usualy i do care. and i do care about userunfriendly DRM and that's why i don't care if this game have ambient sound or not, coz i am not going to buy it. at least not until they remove this 3rd party DRM from the steam version. i am not going to support any developer who treats me like Ubisoft does!

there is no third party DRM.

flava_clown
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
there is no third party DRM.

thanx, i've seen that already, though there is still a permanent internet connection required even for the single player... still no buy from me.

a user...
HI! I bough this game yesterday and i can't even play for 10 minutes, i am always getting this message window "Lost Connection With Game Server You cannot continue playing this game instance"

the developer...
We developed this game with online features. It has a client/server architecture. There are no authentication servers, but yes you have to have an internet connection to play. Playing single player on a server has some benefits to the online community. I've discussed this other threads. Anyway, we can't really change this now, but we are thinking about adding offline single player in an update. Topic closed.

The game servers never crash, but sometimes the server provider overloads their network and then there's a disconnection. We are starting to figure out which providers are good and which aren't. We'll keep adding and removing servers all are stable and good.

trusteft
01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. There is no way I am going to buy it now that it requires online connection for single player. Cheers.

jbmac03
01-29-2011, 01:31 AM
You guys are idiots. Why would you get a multiplayer oriented RTS, just to play singleplayer? There is no campaign or anything. Jesus everyone these days has DSL and Cable. I see absolutely no problem why a game cannot connect to a server during play. You act like they want to spy on you.

MIK3K
01-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Ubisoft's DRM is bad enough that I don't buy their games anymore on pc.

Nothing personal with this company, but small company with what 5-6 servers to serve the planet? What if sales don't meet expectations? Even if initial sales are good at some point they will begin dropping. How long till the plug is pulled?

It's just nice being able to pull out a game after several years and playing it again.

At least it's just 15 bucks I guess.

jbmac03 - I am one of those idiots that bought this for the single player "100 scrimmage maps" and to "play against AI-controlled bots in single player or co-op mode" though I am still trying to figure out the "gameplay concepts from first-person shooters" (though I share it with a 13-year-old who likes to play online).

Mark Currie
01-29-2011, 05:28 AM
We are most probably going to add offline mode. We are evaluating the work. It probably will happen when the map editor is released.

BTW, my previous game Trash has been online since 2004, it's still up and going to stay up. You can expect APOX servers to remain up for a very, very long time -- we are not EA.

oliathsg
01-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I think the sound is ok.
It fits with the retro-ish feel of the game which i quite like.

For example the sounds when you click on troops and stuff. It's nice.

Borba
01-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I agree some sounds in general should be worked on.

The music, while not memorable, fits nicely.

jbmac03
01-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I like the music. The intro is the only annoying one. With headphones it hurts your head

Savage1969
02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
BTW, my previous game Trash has been online since 2004, it's still up and going to stay up. You can expect APOX servers to remain up for a very, very long time -- we are not EA.
You, sir, just sold another copy.... Cheers.

UndeadRufus
02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Echoing the OP, the lack of ambient and vehicle sounds really is an annoyance. The first thing I do when load an RTS for the first time is turn the music off, and doing that in this game leaves the atmosphere feeling very, very dead. That doesn't do the rest of the experience justice at all, because it's otherwise nicely realized.

eagleFMJ
03-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Echoing the OP, the lack of ambient and vehicle sounds really is an annoyance. The first thing I do when load an RTS for the first time is turn the music off, and doing that in this game leaves the atmosphere feeling very, very dead. That doesn't do the rest of the experience justice at all, because it's otherwise nicely realized.

Glad some people see (hear) it the way I do! :)

I haven't played this game since a day or two after release, lost interest. Such a common feature (ambient sounds) that almost all games have now days. I ALWAYS turn music in games off, unless I am racing in Test Drive Unlimited 1 or 2, where I have my own song collection playing. In fact most of my friends turn off in game music as well.

Small details like the atmosphere noises, wind, factories, vehicles, adds a good deal of depth to the game experience. This is the main reason I lost interest in this game, it's just too odd for me the way the sound is at present.

There are very few games I have come across where when I cut the music off there's dead silence until sound from the characters in the game, footsteps weapons etc.

Kudos to the development team for a cool game, and if you can deal with the sound issue I have then try this game out, it's quite fun, but if you are used to hearing a lively environment in your games then you might want to pass, unless weapons are firing, it's dead silent.

vinniereddy
05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
We just released a major update to APOX and we improved all the sound effects in the game.

Update include:

New Features:
 Campaign, Skirmish and Tutorial games are now offline.
 Map Editor. You can now make your own maps. New map once selected by host is auto downloaded for the rest of the players.
 2 Campaign Missions (from APOX: Legend DLC).
 15 new Achievements.
 Campaign games can be saved and reloaded.

Lorentz Factor
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
We just released a major update to APOX and we improved all the sound effects in the game.

Update include:

New Features:
 Campaign, Skirmish and Tutorial games are now offline.
 Map Editor. You can now make your own maps. New map once selected by host is auto downloaded for the rest of the players.
 2 Campaign Missions (from APOX: Legend DLC).
 15 new Achievements.
 Campaign games can be saved and reloaded.

Vinne, I'm glad to see the developers are acting with customer complaints in mind. This has sold 2 more copies today. One for me and one for my brother. Keep this up and your future releases shall also have us as customers. This is the model all companies should follow. They need to remember that the customer knows what they want as they ARE the consumer.

eagleFMJ
05-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Great to hear vinnie, I will check out the new updates!

eagle