PDA

View Full Version : [Not really a release yet] Kuga's L4D2 Config ("Smart" Automatic Pistol Script)

Pages : [1] 2

NKuga
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Features:

Advanced Automatic Pistol Script
- Accounts for switching to a different slot and for item/health usage
- Easily Adjustable for players with high and low end computers
- Works with numerical item switching, mouse wheel switching, last weapon (q) switching, or any combination thereof
- Has a quick toggle for turning on/off
- Customizable cross hairs on primary and secondary weapons

Wait Testing Script
- Automatically detects if the server has the wait command disabled.
- Preemptively turns off automatic pistols on disabled servers in order to prevent crashing
- Wait Check is always active and will prevent crashes
- Restores your previous setting if you join a wait enabled match after encountering a disabled server

Optional Automatic Reload for Primary Weapon
- Works with the automatic pistols enabled
- Integrated into the rest of the script
- Quick toggle on/off

Download via Mediafire: Here (http://www.mediafire.com/?dsz06d1q09wh0sv)

Installation:
Look at the readme.txt please.

Autoexec.cfg file goes in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg or whatever directory you may have L4D2 installed to.

How To Use:
See the readme file for changing the script settings. By default, automatic pistols are on and automatic reloading is off until you toggle it on.

Keypad Slash (Right side of the keyboard) will toggle the automatic pistols on or off. Keypad Multiply will toggle automatic reloading on or off.

To change the cross hairs, edit the information in "//Configurations", under "//Crosshair Scripts."

Change log:

1.2 Beta:
- Revamped wait testing code to be continuously active.
- Other tweaks

1.10 Beta:
- excess code removed or optimized (25% reduction in script size [9KB vs 12.2KB])
- the naming scheme of aliases has been made consistent throughout the script
- identification of aliases and organization of code has been improved
- pistol and crosshair script settings have been simplified for easier user configuration

1.02:
- Fixed potential crash when manually toggling automatic pistols on while playing in a wait disabled server
- Changed default pistol toggle key to keypad slash and automatic reloading key to keypad multiply in order to reduce the possibility of conflicts with other scripts like SEADS

1.01:
- Fixed issue where changing spectate targets or taking control of a bot in campaign did not work correctly(Thanks go to shazzz for posting the spectate commands)
- Removed now redundant +attack bind for bypassing above issue

Explanation for half-assed release with less stuff than the old script:
Well, I decided to cut out everything that wasn't related to the automatic pistols or the automatic reloading. I left the cross hair script in because it is sort of useful too. If this garners interest I'll clean up the code and make a proper readme.

Script Limitations:
There are some unavoidable limitations with alias scripting. The most significant is that the script does not know when your weapon is changed without a button press. (downed, drop your primary gun, etc) When such a situation arises, you will need to "tell" the script by hitting the "2" button.

In addition, the code was made with the assumption that the player will always be holding a primary weapon. This means that on the early parts of Dead Center 1 and the Passing, the script will not always function correctly. It won't break anything, but don't expect the automatic pistols to work all of the time unless unless you hit "2", "q", or scroll down once. (Because the script will think you are on your primary weapon after throwing an item or using health/pills)

The wait command is not based on any particular amount of time. "wait" just tells the game to execute the next command after X frames. So depending on your FPS at the given moment, the automatic pistols will either function amazingly well, decently, or terribly. If it doesn't appear to be working optimally, you can change the pistol settings by checking under "//General Settings" near the bottom of the autoexec.cfg file and following the directions.

Because the script needs to determine your slots via button presses, it does not know when you do and do not have an item. Therefore you may have to scroll past "empty" slots when using the mouse wheel to change weapons. Also, a slight delay is built into switching to the secondary slot. I can remove it if people don't want it.

Finally, there are a few minor issues. The chainsaw will not work with the auto pistols enabled. Toggle it off with the keypad enter button to make it work. All other melee weapons should work correctly. The second issue is that you will see "Press [?]" to spawn or take control of a character. You can still just left click to do these things.

Edit 02/17/14:

Feel free to message me via Steam if you are having any difficulties with the script. I've no plans to update this config, but I don't mind doing ad-hoc fixes or changes if it's nothing too major.

PinkPonies48
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
im confused here. Can you summarize what exactly this is good for? Ive never heard of any pistol glitch

NKuga
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
There is no pistol glitch. It will fire dual pistols (and the deagle I guess) at maximum or near maximum speeds, depending on your current frames per second.

Optics233
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
There is no pistol glitch. It will fire dual pistols (and the deagle I guess) at maximum or near maximum speeds, depending on your current frames per second.

Sounds essentially like an attempt to cheat or gain an unfair advantage to me. Should this even be allowed on the forums?

NKuga
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds essentially like an attempt to cheat or gain an unfair advantage to me. Should this even be allowed on the forums?
I am not going to debate this with you. Read the red letters.

mewsin
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM

How cute - it's almost like he thinks he can stop the impending discussion about whether this is cheating or not... :)

Good luck!

jonny b
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, im not one to argue over scripts, but when it comes to things like this in a game like this, it just seems like overkill. I mean seriously, when was the last time you were like "Damn, I wish my dP's shot faster while I was incapacitated."?

Karma Jockey
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Well technically pistol scripts arent considered cheating. Just frowned upon.

ryancee7
01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
I have the DP shooting script set to a button for the days my fingers are tired of clicking. (I play Dead Center 1 a lot)

1337warrior
01-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Just like the third person shoulder was?

Karma Jockey
01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Just like the third person shoulder was?

Yes, not cheating but frowned upon. Just like setting you graphics settings to lowest so that certain props and walls disappear at certain distances.

Woden
01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
The script works like a charm so far. I had to rebind the toggle keys because your defaults conflict with SEADS, but no complaints.

A more elegant, slimmed-down version of the code would be welcome, just for the sake of readability in my poor, bloated autoexec.

Optics233
01-20-2011, 07:38 PM

This is a public forum and you're essentially advocating a script which may or may not give users an unfair advantage. It's a very valid discussion point, whether you want it to be or not..

Optics233
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, im not one to argue over scripts, but when it comes to things like this in a game like this, it just seems like overkill. I mean seriously, when was the last time you were like "Damn, I wish my dP's shot faster while I was incapacitated."?

.. Actually, all the time. I've lost entire games because I wasn't able to kill a smoker/charger/jockey in time while incapped (Double pistols, not magnum). It can be challenging to do and a huge deciding factor.

NKuga
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
The script works like a charm so far. I had to rebind the toggle keys because your defaults conflict with SEADS, but no complaints.

A more elegant, slimmed-down version of the code would be welcome, just for the sake of readability in my poor, bloated autoexec.

Glad to hear it's working. I haven't tried SEADS in a long time, so I had no idea that the keypad keys were used.

And yeah, one of these days I'm going to make a diagram or two and figure out which levels of aliases and commands are unnecessary. I kept using the same code when I added/removed stuff from the old script(mostly niche or aesthetic things), so I'm sure that a lot of things can be removed. Plus it would give me a chance to make the alias naming scheme consistent.

Gogol
01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I used to have a toggle fast fire script, but I found that it would lock up a lot (I'm on a laptop so I guess my thumb might hit one of the mouse buttons or something). I don't like having to mash my mouse into oblivion whenever I want to shoot pistols, so I modified it a bit. Original credit goes to ESSOBIE, who I think wrote it over a year ago for TF2.

// AutoPistol Toggle
// original autopistol function credit to ESSOBIE
alias _apistolOFF "bind mouse1 +attack"
alias _apistolON "bind mouse1 +apistol"

alias _autooff "_apistolOFF"
alias _autoon "_apistolON"

alias +apistol "alias repeat_function +repeat; +repeat"
alias -apistol "alias repeat_function stoprepeating"
alias repeat_function "+repeat"
alias +repeat "+attack; wait 2; -repeat"
alias -repeat "-attack; wait 2; repeat_function"

bind "MOUSE4" "+apistol"

That code can probably be cleaned up a bit...

I press and hold Mouse4 and it shoots until I let go. I can use it for shotguns or getting a fast SI spawn too, although I rarely use it outside of pistols. Dunno if anyone could have use for it.

defex
01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
kindly keep the "scripts are cheating" crap out of this thread.

Oh i see, NKuga owns the public forums

Scripts are a form of cheating

inb4lock

Odins Raven
01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh i see, NKuga owns the public forums

Scripts are a form of cheating

inb4lock

Wont be locked. You are incorrect about your assumption that It's considered cheating. What you have to say on the matter is irrelevant, Good day.

@ OP- Good for you man, some people like scripts for all sorts of reasons. I mainly use a autofire script to save my fingers and mouse from clicking all the time. Anyway here's mine- its pretty pistol exclusive and looks more complicated then it actually is.

Basically when you hit 2 it activates auto. if you scroll with Mwheel up or down auto remains active, if you hit 1,3,4,5 it deactivates auto so you can just hit the button for another weapon and it deactivates.

alias _apistolOFF "bind mouse1 +attack"
alias _apistolON "bind mouse1 +apistol"

alias _slot1 "_apistolOFF; slot1"
alias _slot2 "_apistolON; slot2"
alias _slot3 "_apistolOFF; slot3"
alias _slot4 "_apistolOFF; slot4"
alias _slot5 "_apistolOFF; slot5"

alias +apistol "alias repeat_function +repeat; +repeat"
alias -apistol "alias repeat_function stoprepeating"
alias stoprepeating ""

bind MOUSE1 +attack
bind 1 "_slot1"
bind 2 "_slot2"
bind 3 "_slot3"
bind 4 "_slot4"
bind 5 "_slot5"

Anyway that's mine- don't worry bout them haters this is the L4D2 forums after all, and they come in regardless thinking they know the "rules" or what's going to lock a thread down. Rofl, it's not even like this is the first thread about this, there are literally hundreds.

Woden
01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
After using the script for a while, I have one complaint to register: the script rebinds the mouse button in such a way that my spawning dialog box now tells me to hit Enter to spawn--although M1 still works--and M1 and M2 no longer switch between players while spectating.

The mislabeling on the spawn dialog is not a big deal, but the loss of view switching is. Any way you could rework the script to fix that?

defex
01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Wont be locked. You are incorrect about your assumption that It's considered cheating. What you have to say on the matter is irrelevant, Good day.

just as irrelevant as your opinion.

if your gaming with a turbo key, that is a form of cheating.
by my understanding any means artificial is basically a cheat if its not originating from user input.

Kinkade!
01-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Of course its cheating!

You are adding something to the game to gain performance advantage.

Is adding an aimbot simply becuase it helps you aim better mearly frowned upon?

I think I'll get a wall hack, its not cheating it just lets me see better thats all.

defex
01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Of course its cheating!

I think I'll get a wall hack, its not cheating it just lets me see better thats all.

approved +repped

NKuga
01-20-2011, 10:49 PM
After using the script for a while, I have one complaint to register: the script rebinds the mouse button in such a way that my spawning dialog box now tells me to hit Enter to spawn--although M1 still works--and M1 and M2 no longer switch between players while spectating.

The mislabeling on the spawn dialog is not a big deal, but the loss of view switching is. Any way you could rework the script to fix that?

I'll see if I can think of an elegant solution. In the mean time, binding a key to +attack2 and/or one to +attack should allow you to use those keys to cycle through players. The problem is that the game doesn't recognize the mouse 1&2 inputs as +attack/2 because they are hidden behind aliases. This same situation happens when you join an in-progress campaign match or return from idle, which is why I included enter as a +attack command. (And why it tells you to use Enter to spawn)
I have no idea why you can use an aliased +attack to spawn but not for spectating/returning from idle. Valve's coding at work, I guess.

Terracotta
01-21-2011, 03:30 AM
may i ask you if you used shooter 0.24.1 from gamebanana.com as guideline?
because im using some parts of it for my own pistol script which is similar to your scripts

// Profile #1 - Shooting from weapon in 2nd slot - pistol
alias "+quick_attack_1st" "alias next_action loop_shooting_1st; loop_shooting_1st"
alias "loop_shooting_1st" "+attack; wait 3; -attack; wait 3; next_action"
alias "-quick_attack_1st" "alias next_action -attack"

alias "assign_mouse1_00" "slot1; current_mode; alias "current_weapon" "assign_mouse1_00" ; -quick_attack_1st; -attack; bind mouse1 +attack; bind Q assign_mouse1_01"
alias "assign_mouse1_01" "slot2; alias "current_weapon" "assign_mouse1_01" ; -attack; bind MOUSE1 +quick_attack_1st; bind Q assign_mouse1_00"

bind "1" "assign_mouse1_00"
bind "2" "assign_mouse1_01"
bind "3" "slot3;bind mouse1 +attack"
bind "4" "slot4;bind mouse1 +attack"
bind "5" "slot5;bind mouse1 +attack"

assign_mouse1_01

this script is automatic and knows when your weapon is switched however it still got the problem with the chainsaw and it cant be used with mousewheel to weapon switch

Mambini
01-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Scripts like this ones are considered a grey area. They give you an advantage, sure but they can't loan you skill.

For stuff like this that use the wait command, Valve introduced the sv_allow_wait_command for server admins to block their usage..

Personally, I don't agree with adding this type of stuff, anyway..Good work.

Drowning Witch
01-21-2011, 06:21 AM

except when you rapidly click your m1 button your accurancy suffers more then when you use a script.

easy to test try holding down m1 and moving your mouse then try to click it like a meth addict and move your mouse around. not even close to the same accuracy.

but yeah, its not a cheat, just a lame attempt at getting an advantage. wait command disabling FTW.

Optics233
01-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Scripts like this ones are considered a grey area. They give you an advantage, sure but they can't loan you skill.

For stuff like this that use the wait command, Valve introduced the sv_allow_wait_command for server admins to block their usage..

Personally, I don't agree with adding this type of stuff, anyway..Good work.

Thanks. Just disabled this command in my server. One less form of cheating I have to worry about, and one more lul for me when people complain they can't do it.

Optics233
01-21-2011, 06:50 AM
except when you rapidly click your m1 button your accurancy suffers more then when you use a script.

easy to test try holding down m1 and moving your mouse then try to click it like a meth addict and move your mouse around. not even close to the same accuracy.

but yeah, its not a cheat, just a lame attempt at getting an advantage. wait command disabling FTW.

Duno about that.. the very definition of cheating is getting an unfair advantage that other players don't have. Cheating doesn't only mean "hacking."

monsto
01-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Duno about that.. the very definition of cheating is getting an unfair advantage that other players don't have. Cheating doesn't only mean "hacking."

it's unfair because only _I_ have access to this script?

ok just checking.

NKuga
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
may i ask you if you used shooter 0.24.1 from gamebanana.com as guideline?
because im using some parts of it for my own pistol script which is similar to your scripts

[code]

this script is automatic and knows when your weapon is switched however it still got the problem with the chainsaw and it cant be used with mousewheel to weapon switch

No. I originally used ESSOBIE's script as a guideline before I rewrote it and made the code a hell of a lot more complex. (Just look at it. D: ) If you glance at the features list, you'll see that I have support for mouse wheel switching. It isn't perfect (you will need to "scroll" past an empty slot if you do not have an item), but it's the best I can do given the limitations of using the commands built into the game.

You can quickly disable the automatic pistols with a toggle button and use the chainsaw if you want. And then hit the button again to turn it back on when you pick up pistols. There is no way for any script to actually know what weapons you are carrying, so problems like this arise.

monsto
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Nkuga

i'm curious how the detect script part of the script works. can you explain it?

HeadshotHoncho
01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
-snip-

I may not use scripts, but I applaud you for taking the high road and ignoring all of these people trying to re-ignite the never-ending argument about scripts.

TrenchFeeder
01-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Features:

Advanced Automatic Pistol Script
- Accounts for switching to a different slot and for item/health usage
- Easily Adjustable for players with high and low end computers
- Works with numerical item switching, mouse wheel switching, last weapon (q) switching, or any combination thereof
- Has a quick toggle for turning on/off
- Customizable cross hairs on primary and secondary weapons

Wait Testing Script
- Automatically detects if the server has the wait command disabled.
- Preemptively turns off automatic pistols on disabled servers in order to prevent crashing
- Will check if wait is enabled every time you switch to pistols (seamless and completely unnoticeable)
- Restores your previous setting if you join a wait enabled match after encountering a disabled server

Optional Automatic Reload for Primary Weapon
- Works with the automatic pistols enabled
- Integrated into the rest of the script
- Quick toggle on/off

Download via Mediafire: Here (http://www.mediafire.com/?udl6ons64hdyo4c)

Installation:
Look at the readme.txt please.

Autoexec.cfg file goes in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg or whatever directory you may have L4D2 installed to.

How To Use:
See the readme file for changing the script settings. By default, automatic pistols are on and automatic reloading is off until you toggle it on.

Keypad Enter (Right side of the keyboard) will toggle the automatic pistols on or off. Keypad Plus will toggle automatic reloading on or off.

To change the cross hairs, edit the information in "//Configurations", under "//Crosshair Scripts."

Explanation for half-assed release with less stuff than the old script:
Well, I decided to cut out everything that wasn't related to the automatic pistols or the automatic reloading. I left the cross hair script in because it is sort of useful too. If this garners interest I'll clean up the code and make a proper readme.

Script Limitations:
There are some unavoidable limitations with alias scripting. The most significant is that the script does not know when your weapon is changed without a button press. (downed, drop your primary gun, etc) When such a situation arises, you will need to "tell" the script by hitting the "2" button.

In addition, the code was made with the assumption that the player will always be holding a primary weapon. This means that on the early parts of Dead Center 1 and the Passing, the script will not always function correctly. It won't break anything, but don't expect the automatic pistols to work all of the time unless unless you hit "2", "q", or scroll down once. (Because the script will think you are on your primary weapon after throwing an item or using health/pills)

The wait command is not based on any particular amount of time. "wait" just tells the game to execute the next command after X frames. So depending on your FPS at the given moment, the automatic pistols will either function amazingly well, decently, or terribly. If it doesn't appear to be working optimally, you can change the pistol settings by checking under "//General Settings" near the bottom of the autoexec.cfg file and following the directions.

Because the script needs to determine your slots via button presses, it does not know when you do and do not have an item. Therefore you may have to scroll past "empty" slots when using the mouse wheel to change weapons. Also, a slight delay is built into switching to the secondary slot. I can remove it if people don't want it.

Finally, there are a few minor issues. The chainsaw will not work with the auto pistols enabled. Toggle it off with the keypad enter button to make it work. All other melee weapons should work correctly. The second issue is that you will see "Press ??? to spawn" as a ghost infected. You can still just left-click to spawn though. Incidentally, in campaign you will need to press enter to take control of your character when first joining the server or returning from idle. This is a glitch that Valve has not fixed.

More wall-o-text:
Anyhow, feel free to let me know how this works and if you like it. If you have any suggestions or bugs to report, please let me know in this topic. Oh, and kindly keep the "scripts are cheating" crap out of this thread. You don't like them? Don't use them. I'm not here to debate it with you. Go find a chair to yell at or something.

Whether you want to hear it or not you and everyone that uses this WILL get banned eventually by VAC. It is now a bannable offense to modify the CFG especially in L4D2

and you don't need to argue, because that is a fact. Read the newest steam user agreement and you will see modifying game files for any Valve game can get you banned

Woden
01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Whether you want to hear it or not you and everyone that uses this WILL get banned eventually by VAC. It is now a bannable offense to modify the CFG especially in L4D2

and you don't need to argue, because that is a fact. Read the newest steam user agreement and you will see modifying game files for any Valve game can get you banned

That... may be the most amazing thing I've ever read. Congratulations sir, you have won.

NKuga
01-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Yeah, sure.

//Wait Testing Scripts
//Wait Test
alias Wait.Test "alias Wait.Result Wait.Disabled; Wait.Test.1; Wait.Test.2"
alias Wait.Test.1 "wait; Wait.Result"
alias Wait.Test.2 "alias Wait.Result Wait.Enabled"
alias Wait.Result "Wait.Enabled"
alias Wait.Disabled "echo Wait is Disabled...; Wait.Scripts.Off"
alias Wait.Enabled "Wait.Scripts.On"
//Result Scripts
alias Wait.Scripts.Off "Auto.Pistol.Off"
alias Wait.Scripts.On "Auto.Pistol.Refresh"

When you run the Wait.Test command, it does a few things.
1. Resets the result to prevent getting the wrong answer if Wait is disabled and the script is run multiple times.
2. Runs Wait Test 1 & 2 at nearly the same time. Test 1 runs slightly ahead of 2 because it is first in the sequence.

Wait Test 1 will "wait" and do nothing for one frame, and then trigger wait result. 2 will immediately set the result to Enabled.

Then, depending on the result in Wait.Result (either enabled or disabled), the appropriate scripts are run to either turn off automatic pistols or to continue the script normally.

The trick is that if wait is enabled, Test 1 will wait a frame before going to the result. This gives Test 2 time to change the result to enabled. However, if wait is disabled, Test 1 will not wait a frame and will immediately go to the disabled result before Test 2 can set it to enabled.

Finally, the Wait.Test command is built into to the script so that it runs whenever you switch to your pistols. Since the test only takes two frames to finish, it completes long before the user is able to fire and potentially crash the game due to infinite looping.

I hope this explanation is adequate.

NKuga
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Modifying .cfg files is not a bannable offense. It never has been and it never will be. This script does nothing that you cannot do by yourself in game.

Please stop spreading misinformation and outright lies.

Optics233
01-21-2011, 07:49 AM
it's unfair because only _I_ have access to this script?

ok just checking.

Oh yeah. Everyone can download hacks too, right? Not only one hacker has exclusive rights to 'em. So they must be okay. :rolleyes:

praetor
01-21-2011, 07:58 AM
If ever Valve released a fix for disabling the "Wait" command in game modes, this would not work anymore ;)

Mambini
01-21-2011, 08:18 AM

I'm sorry but actually changing the core files of the game or having some app running that interfers with the game memory gets you Vac banned. Not even the plugin to change the FOV that was around the forum made players that used it Vac bannable.

(I was one of them and I still play l4d 2..)

Valve considers scripts a grey area, they don't support it but its usage is not prohibited.

If ever Valve released a fix for disabling the "Wait" command in game modes, this would not work anymore ;)

AS i mentioned earlier, there's a server side cvar that prevents them from being used.

shazzz
01-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Cool. Just noticed sv_allow_wait_command 0 doesn't make people that use the wait command crash anymore. Now I can use it on my server without people complaining.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Of course its cheating!

So by your logic setting graphics to lowest to see through certain props and walls at certain distances is cheating?

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Its using cvars that are already in the game. They dont have a cheat flag on them, thus not considered cheating.

shazzz
01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
So by your logic setting graphics to lowest to see through certain props and walls at certain distances is cheating?

It depends on the intentions. It's a known problem and if someone uses it go gain an advantage you can say that person is cheating. Is it as serious as using aimbot? Of course not.

Optics233
01-21-2011, 08:47 AM

If you're doing it specifically to gain an advantage, yeah, it is..

shazzz
01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Its using cvars that are already in the game. They dont have a cheat flag on them, thus not considered cheating.

That doesn't make sense. Just because it's in the game and it's not cheat flagged doesn't mean it's acceptable and not a cheat. There were some commands that Valve removed some months ago that literally enabled you do anything you wanted on any server. Changing survivor health, call hordes, etc. It was only fixed after one year. Are you gonna say it wasn't cheating because it wasn't cheat flagged?

NKuga
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Cool. Just noticed sv_allow_wait_command 0 doesn't make people that use the wait command crash anymore. Now I can use it on my server without people complaining.

It will still cause a client crash for people using normal auto pistols or other looping scripts. Mine just avoids the issue by checking to see if wait is disabled and turning off the pistols if needed.

Silly that Valve hasn't fixed things like infinite command loops, though.

alias abc "xyz"
alias xyz "echo lol; abc"
abc

That easy to crash a source game. =<

shazzz
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
It will still cause a client crash for people using normal auto pistols or other looping scripts. Mine just avoids the issue by checking to see if wait is disabled and turning off the pistols if needed.

Silly that Valve hasn't fixed things like infinite command loops, though.

alias abc "xyz"
alias xyz "echo lol; abc"
abc

That easy to crash a game. =<

Yeah, I know. But now there is a way to prevent crashing. And that was the only reason I allowed the wait command on my server.

Peegee
01-21-2011, 08:54 AM
scripts are built into the game. ergo it's not cheating

the 'cheating' scripts only work on servers where sv_cheats 1 is enabled

blah blah etc

thanks OP!

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
It depends on the intentions. It's a known problem and if someone uses it go gain an advantage you can say that person is cheating. Is it as serious as using aimbot? Of course not.

I set my graphics settings to lowest so that I have best fps and for connecting faster when playing versus. I cant help but notice si sometimes behind some props way behind us.

There are two ways to gain a cheap advantage in a game:

1. Hacking - Using an external program or modifing core game files.

2. Exploiting - Using game mechanics, bugs and the level design to gain an adavntage.

Scripts would fall under exploiting because Scripts are just groups of cvars without cheat flags on them. Also scripts are seperate .cfg files and do not modify core game files.

Anyone can make a .cfg file for whatever purpose. Such as custom gamemodes and custom key bindings.

shazzz
01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
scripts are built into the game. ergo it's not cheating

the 'cheating' scripts only work on servers where sv_cheats 1 is enabled

blah blah etc

thanks OP!

Wrong. What I mentioned was possible on ANY server.

I set my graphics settings to lowest so that I have best fps and for connecting faster when playing versus. I cant help but notice si sometimes behind some props way behind us.

There are two ways to gain a cheap advantage in a game:

1. Hacking - Using an external program or modifing core game files.

2. Exploiting - Using game mechanics, bugs and the level design to gain an adavntage.

Scripts would fall under exploiting because Scripts are just groups of cvars without cheat flags on them. Also scripts are seperate .cfg files and do not modify core game files.

Anyone can make a .cfg file for whatever purpose. Such as custom gamemodes and custom key bindings.

I agree. They're separate things. And the Effect detail on Low thing can't be the reason to call someone a cheater, simply because it's a gui option. What I'm saying is, just because it isn't cheat flagged it doesn't mean it's ok.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
If you're doing it specifically to gain an advantage, yeah, it is..

That doesn't make sense. Just because it's in the game and it's not cheat flagged doesn't mean it's acceptable and not a cheat. (Right there, not cheat flagged thus not a cheat but an exploit of Valves failed coding) There were some commands that Valve removed some months ago that literally enabled you do anything you wanted on any server. Changing survivor health, call hordes, etc. It was only fixed after one year. Are you gonna say it wasn't cheating because it wasn't cheat flagged?

But it isnt considered "cheating". Just exploiting, you cant get banned for exploiting.

I havent even used pistol scripts for a few months now... Why am I even being an advocate?

Peegee
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Wrong. What I mentioned was possible on ANY server.

I agree. They're separate things. And the Effect detail on Low thing can't be the reason to call someone a cheater, simply because it's a gui option. What I'm saying is, just because it isn't cheat flagged it doesn't mean it's ok.

but I wasn't talking to you. I just read OP, saw QQing and responded.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
I guess I'm just trying to get through to people that using scripts can't get you banned. Unless Valve states otherwise then this is my stance.

shazzz
01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I guess I'm just trying to get through to people that using scripts can't get you banned. Unless Valve states otherwise then this is my stance.

Well, of course you won't get banned. And what I'm trying to say is, imo of course, Cheating is something that gives you an advantange over others, I don't care if it's an external program or something built into the game. I don't care if it's detectable/bannable or not. Because I know there were commands built into the game, not cheat-flagged, not detectable, not bannable that probably helped you more than external cheats.

ryancee7
01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Meh, Valve made the pistols go that fast, if they limited the pistols to only go so fast then you wouldn't be able to exploit them, so obviously Valve doesn't care about it. I mean I don't think automitic pistols give any unfair advantage, You get melee with a 1 hit kill, people barely ever take pistols mostly magnums and 80% of regular pistol users usually make nice headshots anyway.

Personally I just got annoyed that I went threw 2 mice with using pistols, and I really do like using them, I'd settle for a slower firing script, doesn't matter to me, the mouse click on my $75 Mouse+Keyboard set went, and my backup mouse went, Now I got a new $60 combination and I'm not letting this one suffer the same fate.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Meh, Valve made the pistols go that fast, if they limited the pistols to only go so fast then you wouldn't be able to exploit them, so obviously Valve doesn't care about it. I mean I don't think automitic pistols give any unfair advantage, You get melee with a 1 hit kill, people barely ever take pistols mostly magnums and 80% of regular pistol users usually make nice headshots anyway.

Personally I just got annoyed that I went threw 2 mice with using pistols, and I really do like using them, I'd settle for a slower firing script, doesn't matter to me, the mouse click on my $75 Mouse+Keyboard set went, and my backup mouse went, Now I got a new $60 combination and I'm not letting this one suffer the same fate.

This happened to me a few months ago. I'm a pretty aggressive autoshotgun user in versus.

prophecy holder
01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Yes, not cheating but frowned upon. Just like setting you graphics settings to lowest so that certain props and walls disappear at certain distances.

Guilty, but I do that to get the maximum amount of FPS possible but other stuff is just a reward. :)

jasminethecat
01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
I am not sure why this is being debated.

It is LAME and WEAK to have to use a pistol script to be able to keep up with those who do not use a pistol script. Call it an exploit, call it cheating, call it hacking, it doesn't matter. It is just LAME and WEAK. (I think the definition would fall under exploit, technically, as Karma Jockey explained.)

If the pistols can actually fire that fast, then Valve intended for it to be possible, and people are taking advantage of a scripting language which is also set up by Valve. I can fire pistols pretty darn fast on my own, without a script. I also don't need a script to auto-reload my shotgun every time i stop shooting.

This issue is something only Valve can make a decision about. They can change the pistol's rate of fire at any time, which eliminates the usefulness of this script. They can put cheat flags on the wait command or any other command if it is that much of an issue to them.

For the rest of us who choose not to download hacks, exploit maps or use scipts to fire faster, feel good about yourself for not having to resort to lame and weak tactics to win.

You cannot change the minds of people who feel the need to cheat, hack or exploit to win. Be a better person and you'll be better off for it. Don't get your blood pressure up on this issue, it's not worth it.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Guilty, but I do that to get the maximum amount of FPS possible but other stuff is just a reward. :)

Exact same opinion as me.

ryancee7
01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I am not sure why this is being debated.

It is LAME and WEAK to have to use a pistol script to be able to keep up with those who do not use a pistol script. Call it an exploit, call it cheating, call it hacking, it doesn't matter. It is just LAME and WEAK. (I think the definition would fall under exploit, technically, as Karma Jockey explained.)

If the pistols can actually fire that fast, then Valve intended for it to be possible, and people are taking advantage of a scripting language which is also set up by Valve. I can fire pistols pretty darn fast on my own, without a script. I also don't need a script to auto-reload my shotgun every time i stop shooting.

This issue is something only Valve can make a decision about. They can change the pistol's rate of fire at any time, which eliminates the usefulness of this script. They can put cheat flags on the wait command or any other command if it is that much of an issue to them.

For the rest of us who choose not to download hacks, exploit maps or use scipts to fire faster, feel good about yourself for not having to resort to lame and weak tactics to win.

You cannot change the minds of people who feel the need to cheat, hack or exploit to win. Be a better person and you'll be better off for it. Don't get your blood pressure up on this issue, it's not worth it.

Lol people go on like it's murder...

Oh for god sake, it's automatic pistol script get over it, it's not like it's as powerful as an AK47. Boo scripts for actually making pistols useful.

In L4D1 where pistols are your main weapon rather than magnums and melee, I'd consider this weak and cheap, but now it actually makes pistols compare to the magnum's 1 hit kill and the melee's 1 hit kill + no fatigue.

3% of people use pistols. Maybe now we'll get 4%.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 10:30 AM

Oh for god sake, it's automatic pistol script get over it, it's not like it's as powerful as an AK47. Boo scripts for actually making pistols useful.

In L4D1 where pistols are your main weapon rather than magnums and melee, I'd consider this weak and cheap, but now it actually makes pistols compare to the magnum's 1 hit kill and the melee's 1 hit kill + no fatigue.

This. It's barely an advantage anyways.

jasminethecat
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM

I stand by the idea that this is no more cheating than taking a map exploit. Valve left it in there, but they didn't make it obvious or encourage people to use it. If you do, and the vast majority of people do not, then expect some razzing in-game. If you brag about it on the forums, expect people to object the way we're doing here.

Most players do not know what the pistol script is unless they come to the forums. They will assume you're hacking when you empty dual pistol clips in under 2 seconds. Those of us here know it is just a script to give you an advantage against other players. If it didn't give you some advantage you wouldn't use it.

If you could increase an gun's accuracy in a script, would that be cheating? If you could increase a gun's damage in a script, would that be cheating? By raising the shots per second and taking the physical aspect of repeated clicking out of the equation, you are in fact doing both to the pistol here. You are changing the characteristics of the pistol to allow it to kill hordes and SI faster than you can do without the script, and at the start of most campaigns the pistol is the only secondary weapon available.

I am sure you'll argue that damage <> damage_per_second...i'll wait for it. If you can kill a charger in 1 second and it takes mortals 2-3 seconds with the same weapon, I call that an advantage and an exploit. You can call it fair play if you like.

I agree to disagree.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I stand by the idea that this is no more cheating than taking a map exploit. Valve left it in there, but they didn't make it obvious or encourage people to use it. If you do, and the vast majority of people do not, then expect some razzing in-game. If you brag about it on the forums, expect people to object the way we're doing here.

Most players do not know what the pistol script is unless they come to the forums. They will assume you're hacking when you empty dual pistol clips in under 2 seconds. Those of us here know it is just a script to give you an advantage against other players. If it didn't give you some advantage you wouldn't use it.

If you could increase an gun's accuracy in a script, would that be cheating? If you could increase a gun's damage in a script, would that be cheating? By raising the shots per second and taking the physical aspect of repeated clicking out of the equation, you are in fact doing both to the pistol here. You are changing the characteristics of the pistol to allow it to kill hordes and SI faster than you can do without the script, and at the start of most campaigns the pistol is the only secondary weapon available.

I am sure you'll argue that damage <> damage_per_second...i'll wait for it. If you can kill a charger in 1 second and it takes mortals 2-3 seconds with the same weapon, I call that an advantage and an exploit. You can call it fair play if you like.

I agree to disagree.

It doesn't increase accuracy though... The only thing I used pistol scripts for was killing CI throughout the map (not hordes). Using it mainly to kill SI is just silly unless its on DC 1, and besides CI are just a mere annoyance in versus, its the SI that do everything.

You were right about the dps increase though, and some other stuff...

Kattila
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I can already click M1 pretty fast, is that cheating?

Drowning Witch
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
It doesn't increase accuracy though

lol bullcrap. it increases accuracy at a given dps.

your saying your mouse look accuracy and control is the same when clicking 80 times a min compared to your mouse look accuracy and control when your clicking 20 times a min?

Optics233
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I can already click M1 pretty fast, is that cheating?

No, that's called skill.

Drowning Witch
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
No, that's called skill.

+ it has a tradeoff of your hand not being as steady.

Odins Raven
01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
you guys are funny. since you know it all why doesn't some one throw chet an email and see what HE says? Maybe then it will shut up all the dopes who think this is anything anyone in charge really gives two ♥♥♥♥s about

Nudge.Voelturi
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I've read all the posts, crunched the numbers, and have come up with only one possible conclusion: you couldn't win a legit game.

nasty nate
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Only pathetic noobs would use this or try to defend it. This is 100% cheating plain and simple. That goes for intentionally decreasing settings to see through things too. You know you're bad when you have to tweak your cfg and try all kinds of underhanded exploits to be able to keep up with real players with actual skill.

Volg
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Too complicated for me :P although that doesn't mean it's not good. I just prefer a more simple script.

Here ya go, my two cents:

//ALT Toggle Special Binds (Autofire)

bind "ALT" "+special"
alias +special "s_special_binds"
alias -special "s_normal_binds"

alias s_special_binds "s_mouse1_special; -attack; -attack2"

alias s_normal_binds "s_mouse1_normal; -attack; -attack2"

// | These are the normal binds. |

alias s_mouse1_normal "bind MOUSE1 +attack"

// | Special Binds |

alias s_mouse1_special "bind MOUSE1 +autofire"

alias +autofire "alias repeat_function +repeat; +repeat"
alias -autofire "alias repeat_function stoprepeating"
alias stoprepeating ""

I borrowed a script from here and tweaked it with an old TF2 script.
Basically, every time you press ALT it binds mouse1 to +autofire, and when you let go of it, it returns to +attack.

IsEnough
01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
So why not give it a try instead of crying about it? Would be much simpler for everybody IMO.

Zeratulz
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I've read all the posts, crunched the numbers, and have come up with only one possible conclusion: you couldn't win a legit game.

Win. Have a Rep Cookie.

nasty nate
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
So why not give it a try instead of crying about it? Would be much simpler for everybody IMO.

Why not get some skill instead of cheating? I can already shoot the pistols at probably 95%+ of the maximum speed. Don't need some fail script to do it for me.

NKuga
01-21-2011, 03:05 PM
What an excellent time to note that the script works well with the Deagle too!

you guys are funny. since you know it all why doesn't some one throw chet an email and see what HE says? Maybe then it will shut up all the dopes who think this is anything anyone in charge really gives two ♥♥♥♥s about

Expecting any consistent amount of support from Valve is foolhardy. (unless it involves hats, of course)

Woden
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Quick question for the religious types in this thread: is tweaking your netcode commands also cheating? It improves the game experience, so by your logic, it must be cheating. Right?

ryancee7
01-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I agree to disagree.

How would they know your using a pistol script, the game only shows the pistols going so fast in 3rd person when in 1st person they go much faster. I can't even tell I'm using it when I use thirdperson(WHOOPS thats a huge cheat also...) Anyway...

God forbid, these damn pistols should have increased accuracy anyway.

Anyway I personally don't get an advantage from it, I just use auto fire on pistols only, I use it because my fingers can get sore easily and i don't want my new mouse to die before it's time.

For the average low headshot person I'd like someone to calculate how many times you click using pistols on Dead Center 1 -_-

I view this subject like saying a person using a gamepad playing GTA drives better then a person using a mouse and keyboard then them 2 people going in the same match, the gamepad guy has the upperhand, he must be cheating...

EDIT: Kill a charger with melee in 1 second, thats a weapon in the same category as pistols? Why should that be so strong? Why should Pistols be so useless and weak, now they can actually almost come close to their brothers melee and magnum

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Only pathetic noobs would use this or try to defend it. This is 100% cheating plain and simple. That goes for intentionally decreasing settings to see through things too. You know you're bad when you have to tweak your cfg and try all kinds of underhanded exploits to be able to keep up with real players with actual skill.

Well for me it wasnt to keep up but to try to get ahead. Most competitive players use performance configs anyways. You're just pain wrong that it's 100% cheating. Cheating means to gain an advantage by breaking rules. There are no rules against making your game have better performance and/or using scripts.

Karma Jockey
01-21-2011, 06:28 PM
lol bullcrap. it increases accuracy at a given dps.

your saying your mouse look accuracy and control is the same when clicking 80 times a min compared to your mouse look accuracy and control when your clicking 20 times a min?

Oh, if you mean in that way then wow... My mouse doesn't spaz all over the place when I click M1 for my pistols fast. It's not modifying the code to increase accuracy to technically it's the same accuracy, it just depends on how the player uses their mouse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the unskilled and/or new players would get all butthurt over someone using pistol scripts...

Odins Raven
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh, if you mean in that way then wow... My mouse doesn't spaz all over the place when I click M1 for my pistols fast. It's not modifying the code to increase accuracy to technically it's the same accuracy, it just depends on how the player uses their mouse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the unskilled and/or new players would get all butthurt over someone using pistol scripts...

doesn't it seem strange? the amount of butt-hurt in this thread i mean lol
Reminds me of the townspeople in Southpark going RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!

Even funnier when its a whole NEW wave of people who just got the game around xmas or something, so it's not like they've actually played it for the last couple years and seen the millions of times they've been proved that scripts are allowed lol

Jayjones
01-21-2011, 08:20 PM
LOL ROFLMFAO. i love your last sentence! +rep :D :D :D

seems good. i might try it out...hmm... NOW

Woden
01-21-2011, 09:54 PM
OK, so I'm totally not hep to the scripting jive talk, so this is probably going to be a stupid idea, but here goes: set up the script so that when the mouse button is pressed, it fires the standard attack command and then rebinds the mouse button to the autofire aliases and continues autofiring. When the button is released, it rebinds itself to the standard attack command. If such a thing is possible, that might work around the inability to use the mouse buttons to switch who you're spectating.

1337warrior
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I think its pretty easy to point finger at OP for releasing a config with autopistol, and at the same time go play L4D2 and use a corner or play with friends against pubs and call them noobs.

Not saying everyone does, but look a bit beneath your nose before you attack someone.

OP thanks for the post =)
Personally I don't use more than connection tweaks, but good job.
Just remember that haters gonna hate, welcome to internet =)

Jayjones
01-21-2011, 10:19 PM
LOL ROFLMFAO. i love your last sentence! +rep :D :D :D

seems good. i might try it out...hmm... NOW

well, i did try it out. and it's great :D
The jockeys die super fast :)

azamodaz
01-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for this script NKuga. I completely avoid double pistols because clicking the mouse button rapidly isn't enjoyable. I would use them on the xbox version because the design of that controller made it better for rapid firing of pistols.

I have a few comments/suggestions. I noticed that your script change the binding of some keys. "Enter" was made to fire I believe. I think that this script quit working when I changed some of my keys back to the original. I didn't test this thoroughly. Also, is it possible to have the file named something else? I have another script which changes outline colors and some other things. They both share the same name and cannot use them at the same time.

Prepucius
01-21-2011, 10:38 PM
if your gaming with a turbo key, that is a form of cheating. by my understanding any means artificial is basically a cheat if its not originating from user input.

Meh. By the same token you could say that using gaming-grade kick-♥♥♥ hardware is an unfair advantage because you can load and run games faster than the cheapskates running Win7 on 512MB Ram. That guy with a 7-button mouse, customizable profiles and OTF resolution switching? A cheater, because somewhere, someone else is playing the game with a generic 2-button piece of crap.

Right.

You are adding something to the game to gain performance advantage. Is adding an aimbot simply becuase it helps you aim better mearly frowned upon?

You're wrong. The scripting language comes with the game, nothing is added.

You are an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about. Stop spreading lies and misinformation.

Oh yeah. Everyone can download hacks too, right? Not only one hacker has exclusive rights to 'em. So they must be okay. :rolleyes:

That's a stupid argument.

The scripting language is built into the game. It's offered by the developer as an advanced feature, one that has been available in virtually all FPS games since forever, and its use is approved by the developer.

A hack is a third party software that tampers with the way the game is supposed to work and will get you banned.

They're not the same thing and saying otherwise just makes you look like a moron.

It is LAME and WEAK to have to use a pistol script to be able to keep up with those who do not use a pistol script. Call it an exploit, call it cheating, call it hacking, it doesn't matter. It is just LAME and WEAK.

Being clueless AND judgemental is lame and weak.

If the pistols can actually fire that fast, then Valve intended for it to be possible, and people are taking advantage of a scripting language which is also set up by Valve.

Of course Valve intended for it to be possible, otherwise they wouldn't have provided the scripting language and ample documentation on how to use it. You get no points for stating the obvious.

I can fire pistols pretty darn fast on my own, without a script. I also don't need a script to auto-reload my shotgun every time i stop shooting.

Fascinating, but completely irrelevant. You're talking about your personal preferences, as if they somehow constitute proof of prowess, thus lending credibility to your argument. I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way. What you can or cannot do with a script has no bearing whatsoever on the subject at hand.

The decision has been made already.

Hint: They ship the scripting language as part of the game.
And the game doesn't work without it.

Every few weeks some tool will come to the forum and claim that scripts equal cheating, yet the developers never removed the feature. And they won't block harmless commands just because clueless people are too lazy to understand what they do and how they work.

Rest assured, it is not an issue to them. It never was and it never will be, regardless of how many angry wannabes decide to dispense wisdom on how PC games should be made.

For the rest of us who choose not to download hacks, exploit maps or use scipts to fire faster, feel good about yourself for not having to resort to lame and weak tactics to win. You cannot change the minds of people who feel the need to cheat, hack or exploit to win. Be a better person and you'll be better off for it.

And that's the heart of the issue.

At least you're honest enough to admit that this nonsense you're trying to pass as a moral objection is just a holier-than-thou attitude.

The developers do not consider the scripting language as cheating. On contrary, they offer it as an advanced feature and have said time and again that no user will ever be banned for using that feature.

If you have two neurons to rub together you'll quicky realize that their opinion is the only one that matters.

Yours doesn't, and that's good, because actually you're not even interested in understanding what you're talking about - you just want to feel good about yourself by belittling and demeaning other people.

Newsflash: All you're doing is flaunting your ignorance and bigotry in public.

So green.

ryancee7
01-21-2011, 10:53 PM
The Valve Anti-Cheat system is enabled for servers displaying the Secured shield logo. Using custom skins, sounds or maps and playing multi-player mods which do not modify core .EXE and .DLL files will not result in a VAC ban

According to that, this is not a bannable offense.

Just to clear that little situation up (I'm not tryin to backseat mod, just want to show hard evidence from the source[no pun intended].)

IsEnough
01-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Meh. By the same token you could say that using gaming-grade kick-♥♥♥ hardware is an unfair advantage because you can load and run games faster than the cheapskates running Win7 on 512MB Ram. That guy with a 7-button mouse, customizable profiles and OTF resolution switching? A cheater, because somewhere, someone else is playing the game with a generic 2-button piece of crap.

Right.

You're wrong. The scripting language comes with the game, nothing is added.

You are an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about. Stop spreading lies and misinformation.

That's a stupid argument.

The scripting language is built into the game. It's offered by the developer as an advanced feature, one that has been available in virtually all FPS games since forever, and its use is approved by the developer.

A hack is a third party software that tampers with the way the game is supposed to work and will get you banned.

They're not the same thing and saying otherwise just makes you look like a moron.

Being clueless AND judgemental is lame and weak.

Of course Valve intended for it to be possible, otherwise they wouldn't have provided the scripting language and ample documentation on how to use it. You get no points for stating the obvious.

Fascinating, but completely irrelevant. You're talking about your personal preferences, as if they somehow constitute proof of prowess, thus lending credibility to your argument. I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way. What you can or cannot do with a script has no bearing whatsoever on the subject at hand.

The decision has been made already.

Hint: They ship the scripting language as part of the game.
And the game doesn't work without it.

Every few weeks some tool will come to the forum and claim that scripts equal cheating, yet the developers never removed the feature. And they won't block harmless commands just because clueless people are too lazy to understand what they do and how they work.

Rest assured, it is not an issue to them. It never was and it never will be, regardless of how many angry wannabes decide to dispense wisdom on how PC games should be made.

And that's the heart of the issue.

At least you're honest enough to admit that this nonsense you're trying to pass as a moral objection is just a holier-than-thou attitude.

The developers do not consider the scripting language as cheating. On contrary, they offer it as an advanced feature and have said time and again that no user will ever be banned for using that feature.

If you have two neurons to rub together you'll quicky realize that their opinion is the only one that matters.

Yours doesn't, and that's good, because actually you're not even interested in understanding what you're talking about - you just want to feel good about yourself by belittling and demeaning other people.

Newsflash: All you're doing is flaunting your ignorance and bigotry in public.

So green.

Thank you. +REP

shazzz
01-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Let's see...

Makes you shoot faster than what's humanly possible? Yes
Is it easier to aim with since you're not clicking 8 times per second? Yes
Does the majority use it? No
Is it an advantage over people that don't use it? Yes
Can it be called cheating? No
Does it mean scripts = cheating? No
Did every Valve's game that included dual pistols had this problem? Yes
Is there any Valve game that got dual pistols fire rate capped? Yes, TF2.
Does it mean Valve doesn't care about this, or thinks it's no problem, just because it never got fixed in L4D2? No

Gamingliker
01-22-2011, 02:07 AM
-yells at a chair-
Nah jk.
I am sure this is going to be neat in Dead Center 1.Where your first weapons are dual pistolz and melee.

IsEnough
01-22-2011, 02:21 AM
Let's see...

Makes you shoot faster than what's humanly possible? Yes
Is it easier to aim with since you're not clicking 8 times per second? Yes
Does the majority use it? No
Is it an advantage over people that don't use it? Yes
Can it be called cheating? No
Does it mean scripts = cheating? No
Did every Valve's game that included dual pistols had this problem? Yes
Is there any Valve game that got dual pistols fire rate capped? Yes, TF2.
Does it mean Valve doesn't care about this, or thinks it's no problem, just because it never got fixed in L4D2? No

Is it on the forum for everyone to see and download? Yes.

And let me correct you:
Is it easier to aim with since you're not clicking 8 times per second? No.

I don't know whose hand shakes as bad here as to say their aim actually gets worse while clicking. It's quite ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ that I can press LMB and shoot the AK47 auto but I can't do the same for ♥♥♥♥ing pistols. While I realize there are pistols where you would have to do that IRL, I don't see why L4D2 would even try to emulate that realism when there are other less realistic aspects of the game.

In finance there is a principle that says that as long as the information is legally and realistically available for everybody's use it's fair to use it. Unfortunately, this is a gem nobody's smart enough to just download and use. They have to complain about it a ♥♥♥♥ton before they realize that it's useless to complain and just download it instead.

Why do you do it? Do you not know how to simply copy and paste it into your autoexec, or what?

EDIT: Also, this forum should be the first resource to anybody that's trying to get better at the game. At least out of habit from other games. And since this is on the forum, the only more blatant way to give people this script is by embedding it into the game as an option.

And I bet my ♥♥♥ that if this were a little check box in the options like:

HOLDING LMB MAKES PISTOL FIRE AUTOMATICALLY [X]

most of the people on here would NOT be whining right now. They would just tick it and play. So the reason for the whining is completely beyond me.

HorseRotorvator
01-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Auto mode for the pistols would be a neat and much appreciated buff. Especially in this game where you just spearhead your way through swarms and swarms of crap.

I approve.

shazzz
01-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Is it on the forum for everyone to see and download? Yes.

And let me correct you:
Is it easier to aim with since you're not clicking 8 times per second? No.

I don't know whose hand shakes as bad here as to say their aim actually gets worse while clicking. It's quite ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ that I can press LMB and shoot the AK47 auto but I can't do the same for ♥♥♥♥ing pistols. While I realize there are pistols where you would have to do that IRL, I don't see why L4D2 would even try to emulate that realism when there are other less realistic aspects of the game.

In finance there is a principle that says that as long as the information is legally and realistically available for everybody's use it's fair to use it. Unfortunately, this is a gem nobody's smart enough to just download and use. They have to complain about it a ♥♥♥♥ton before they realize that it's useless to complain and just download it instead.

Why do you do it? Do you not know how to simply copy and paste it into your autoexec, or what?

EDIT: Also, this forum should be the first resource to anybody that's trying to get better at the game. At least out of habit from other games. And since this is on the forum, the only more blatant way to give people this script is by embedding it into the game as an option.

And I bet my ♥♥♥ that if this were a little check box in the options like:

HOLDING LMB MAKES PISTOL FIRE AUTOMATICALLY [X]

most of the people on here would NOT be whining right now. They would just tick it and play. So the reason for the whining is completely beyond me.

It makes aiming harder. It's simple. You're applying and removing a force on your mouse 8 times per second (that's like the maximum clicks per second people are capable of). Of course it affects the movement of the mouse. Just try it here http://people.csail.mit.edu/paulfitz/plank/s19980801_i_clicker.html

And yes, if it was a game option, I wouldn't say anything, because it's default behaviour and available to everyone. The problem is not auto-fire, the problem is the advantage that it gives you, firing way more faster than it's humanly possible. You certainly can understand this point, I guess. Why not make the autofire script only shot 7/8 bullets per second then?

HorseRotorvator
01-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Quick question

What exactly is stopping your neighbour, your priest and your grocer from using this script?

shazzz
01-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Quick question

What exactly is stopping your neighbour, your priest and your grocer from using this script?

It doesn't matter how easy is to use it or download it. It's the principle of having to use a script so you don't get in disadvantage.

HorseRotorvator
01-22-2011, 02:59 AM
It doesn't have to be an advantage. Everyone should use this.

Really quite a lot of fun. Reminds me of running through buildings in CoP with an upgraded Martha. Good times.

shazzz
01-22-2011, 03:12 AM
It doesn't have to be an advantage. Everyone should use this.

Really quite a lot of fun. Reminds me of running through buildings in CoP with an upgraded Martha. Good times.

But it is, and most people don't even know what the console is, nevermind a config.

Anyway, I think I got my point across. Not much else to say. Unless Valve caps the dual pistols fire rate, so that the firing speed is always the same regardless of auto-fire script or not, there will always people saying it's not an advantage (which isn't true) and people saying is cheating (which isn't true). Have a nice weekend :)

Woden
01-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Quick question for the religious types in this thread: is tweaking your netcode commands also cheating? It improves the game experience, so by your logic, it must be cheating. Right?

Interesting that nobody seems willing to take up the logical gauntlet here. I wonder if that means that their position is full of crap?

HorseRotorvator
01-22-2011, 03:27 AM
Interesting that nobody seems willing to take up the logical gauntlet here. I wonder if that means that their position is full of crap?

Your position is redundant when the argument has been settled under the umbrella of graphics.

NKuga
01-22-2011, 04:35 AM
OK, so I'm totally not hep to the scripting jive talk, so this is probably going to be a stupid idea, but here goes: set up the script so that when the mouse button is pressed, it fires the standard attack command and then rebinds the mouse button to the autofire aliases and continues autofiring. When the button is released, it rebinds itself to the standard attack command. If such a thing is possible, that might work around the inability to use the mouse buttons to switch who you're spectating.

The problem is that A. Rebinding is something that scripts should never be doing on the fly, and B. the game isn't looking for a command to do a "+attack" or "+attack2", it's looking for +attack/2 in the bind itself.

i.e.,
alias +FireScript "+attack; +Stuff"
alias -FireScript "-attack; -Stuff"
bind mouse1 +FireScript

Will not work for the purposes of switching characters in spectate.

alias +FireScript "+stuff"
alias -FireScript "-Stuff"
bind mouse1 "+attack; +Firescript"
Will work for the purposes of joining from idle/spectating, but the problem is that the engine will now no longer execute -Firescript when mouse1 is not pressed. That obviously causes a ton of issues. (You never stop firing, etc)

And you don't want a script to rebind involved keys because it can cause lag, errors, and such.

I'll see if there's a way to make it work or to bypass the issue entirely if there are console commands to return from idle/change camera target in spectate

shazzz
01-22-2011, 06:59 AM
The problem is that A. Rebinding is something that scripts should never be doing on the fly, and B. the game isn't looking for a command to do a "+attack" or "+attack2", it's looking for +attack/2 in the bind itself.

i.e.,
alias +FireScript "+attack; +Stuff"
alias -FireScript "-attack; -Stuff"
bind mouse1 +FireScript Will not work for the purposes of switching characters in spectate.

alias +FireScript "+stuff"
alias -FireScript "-Stuff"
bind mouse1 "+attack; +Firescript"Will work for the purposes of joining from idle/spectating, but the problem is that the engine will now no longer execute -Firescript when mouse1 is not pressed. That obviously causes a ton of issues. (You never stop firing, etc)

And you don't want a script to rebind involved keys because it can cause lag, errors, and such.

I'll see if there's a way to make it work or to bypass the issue entirely if there are console commands to return from idle/change camera target in spectate

spec_next
spec_prev

Or something similar

Kinkade!
01-22-2011, 08:45 AM

So your argument is so weak, that your attemting to say having a decent connection is cheating?

Odins Raven
01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
I just had a thought you haters might not understand. just want to throw it out there-

You keep saying its unfair that its much easier to aim when holding down the fire button as opposed to repeated clicking of it? Like that's throwing off your aim on emptying a whole clip versus me not having to click 30 times to fire off 30 shots?

It's really not that accurate to be honest because while you don't get the mouse movement from clicking too much, you also get ALL the recoil of firing off all your bullets which means at least with my script that its actually a bit LESS accurate and acts like a burst weapon.

I see commons and hit my button I just send like 5-6 bullets in the direction of their head like it was a SCAR. I miss plenty with the auto on because the gun recoils vertically so im actually aiming in a moving line straight up. IMO, Its NOT AS ACCURATE as just firing the pistols- but ONLY because of recoil.

ryancee7
01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I find it funny how when someone makes config's using inerpt and tweakin the connection to make deadstops super easy and rarely anyone complains. When you come with a simple script to make auto pistols then they flip out. Pretty much every gun in the game you can hold click and it shoots (not as fast on some guns but it does) Pistols are the only things I see that don't do this. (Not sure about the magnum, but thats extremely powerful anyway)

I just did that click test and got 8 clicks per second and my mouse never even moved from click here. I've never heard of someones aim go flying about while clicking fast... Maybe a bit, but not enough to miss zombies, and specials.

If anything this script can make it harder at times, I don't realize how fast i go through ammo and I'm always reloading haha.

Well not EVERYONE can get a decent connection, so jeeze MUST be cheating, UNFAIR advantage that I got 200 ping, and mr. 30 ping is deadstoppin left and right.

NKuga
01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
spec_next
spec_prev

Or something similar

Hey, thanks!

A bit of experimentation and those commands fixed all of the problems. In the end, I added yet another level to the script (+Firing and -Firing) in order to easily implement it. (+Fire and below are re-aliased in other parts of the script and I didn't feel like changing a lot of lines)

It works fine right now, but it really does mean that this whole thing is getting due for a rewrite. Looks messy. :<

This fixes both spectator bugs. (unable to change players as spectate targets and the return from idle issue) Also added it to mouse2 so clicking it will scroll to the previous player instead.

On the down side, you still see "Press ?" to spawn/take control/etc, but left click works fine for all of them now.

You can also remove the bind for enter to +attack now, as it serves no purpose anymore.

Download: Here (http://www.mediafire.com/?ak5v2hovclga4cv)

1337warrior
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I find it funny how when someone makes config's using inerpt and tweakin the connection to make deadstops super easy and rarely anyone complains. When you come with a simple script to make auto pistols then they flip out. Pretty much every gun in the game you can hold click and it shoots (not as fast on some guns but it does) Pistols are the only things I see that don't do this. (Not sure about the magnum, but thats extremely powerful anyway)

I just did that click test and got 8 clicks per second and my mouse never even moved from click here. I've never heard of someones aim go flying about while clicking fast... Maybe a bit, but not enough to miss zombies, and specials.

If anything this script can make it harder at times, I don't realize how fast i go through ammo and I'm always reloading haha.

Well not EVERYONE can get a decent connection, so jeeze MUST be cheating, UNFAIR advantage that I got 200 ping, and mr. 30 ping is deadstoppin left and right.

In my option this script can't be more unfair than a team camping at (The Corner) at Dead Carnival finale, people just can't realize what they are talking about.

If we go on everything that is unfair, well just take the game down..lol

Woden
01-22-2011, 05:06 PM
So your argument is so weak, that your attemting to say having a decent connection is cheating?

You're... very bad at the whole "reading comprehension" thing, aren't you?

English beaver
01-22-2011, 07:34 PM
What does frame rate have to do with the fire rate?

NKuga
01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
What does frame rate have to do with the fire rate?

All automatic pistol scripts are based off of the wait command. The wait command does not wait for a set amount of time. It waits for X client frames rendered before executing the next command.

For example:

There are two players, A and B. A gets 50 frames per second on average, while B gets 100.

If I made a command that had "wait 50" in it, A would wait for one second and B would wait for only half a second. It takes half as long for B because his client completes 50 frames faster. This needs to be kept in mind while creating things like a pistol script, because they do have limits on their fire rate and problems if you "fire" too often.

omghax111
01-23-2011, 01:33 AM

Ok, anyone with a better internet connection than me, is a cheater.
Anyone with a better graphics card than me, is a cheater.
Anyone with a better mouse than I have, is a cheater.
Anyone with a better headset than I have, is a cheater.
Anyone with a better networking card, is a cheater.

on and on.

English beaver
01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
All automatic pistol scripts are based off of the wait command. The wait command does not wait for a set amount of time. It waits for X client frames rendered before executing the next command.

For example:

There are two players, A and B. A gets 50 frames per second on average, while B gets 100.

If I made a command that had "wait 50" in it, A would wait for one second and B would wait for only half a second. It takes half as long for B because his client completes 50 frames faster. This needs to be kept in mind while creating things like a pistol script, because they do have limits on their fire rate and problems if you "fire" too often.

Wait...so people with bad framerate has it work better? I didn't quite understand to much ._.

Sublime2k
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I just tested this script and it works great. I really like how crosshair changes color (green/red) to indicate if auto reload is off or on, very helpful. Also, I like how auto reload turns off when you switch to pistol(s) and back on when you switch back to shotgun.

Only thing you have to pay attention to is pressing keypad plus when you get incapacitated, otherwise auto reload will remain turned on for pistol(s).

I personally prefer turning off dynamic crosshair, that's the only change I did to the script.

I'd really like to see this get a proper release.

People who want to discuss usage of scripts and whether or not is it fair should make a separate thread because the author of this thread clearly states that's not the topic of this thread.

NKuga
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Wait...so people with bad framerate has it work better? I didn't quite understand to much ._.

Not entirely. What I'm trying to say is that how fast you fire with the script depends on your frames per second. (This is true for all pistol scripts) Because really high or really low frame rates don't work very well with the default pistol settings, I included extra code so that users can change the settings to fit their particular case and make the pistols fire faster for them.

I just tested this script and it works great. I really like how crosshair changes color (green/red) to indicate if auto reload is off or on, very helpful. Also, I like how auto reload turns off when you switch to pistol(s) and back on when you switch back to shotgun.

Only thing you have to pay attention to is pressing keypad plus when you get incapacitated, otherwise auto reload will remain turned on for pistol(s).

Instead of turning off the automatic reload, it may be easier to hit "2" or "q" to switch the script to the pistol settings. Scripts are completely reliant on loops and button presses (What I wouldn't give for conditional statement support and other basic programming logic), so it has no way of knowing when your current weapon is changed by the game and not you. So the next time you get beaten down by a tank, just hit "2" and the pistols should stop auto-reloading.

I personally prefer turning off dynamic crosshair, that's the only change I did to the script.

I don't use the dynamic crosshair either. I'm just afraid that turning it off by default is a large step above changing the crosshair color. So, I left the command in the script to allow people to change it on their own.

I'd really like to see this get a proper release.

Thanks for the support.

Kinkade!
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM

No.

And again you offer no real argument, and we both know why that is.

Apart from this pathetic script being infantile it shows up those who use it as selfish and desperate to win at all costs.

It IS a cheat, it is a gameing version of a performance enhancing drug, and to be honest will only be used by kiddies and poor players anyway.

Kinkade!
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
In my option this script can't be more unfair than a team camping at (The Corner) at Dead Carnival finale, people just can't realize what they are talking about.

If we go on everything that is unfair, well just take the game down..lol

Oh dear your are so very desperate to defend you useing this arnt you, thats called guilt matey.

There are about 40 different maps in this game and you look for the one single part that you think lets you off.

And more importantly corner camping isnt unfair because both teams play each map as survivors there is no advantage.

This script does give unfair advantage because its only an option to those who know about it and are noob enough to need it.

But the most telling thing is your username :)

Woden
01-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Alright, let's review:

No.

And again you offer no real argument, and we both know why that is.

Apart from this pathetic script being infantile it shows up those who use it as selfish and desperate to win at all costs.

It IS a cheat, it is a gameing version of a performance enhancing drug, and to be honest will only be used by kiddies and poor players anyway.

The claim being made is that the script is cheating because it improves the play experience for the user. There's a whole lot of rooster-waving semantically null cruft piled on top of that, but that's the heart of the issue.

So, logically, the contention is that improving the gameplay experience is cheating.

Tweaking the netcode commands is done purely to improve the gameplay experience.

Therefore, IF improving the gameplay experience is cheating AND the netcode commands are only tweaked to improve the gameplay experience, THEN the same people who are arguing that this script is cheating must also hold that tweaking the netcode commands is cheating. If not, their position is hypocritical and baseless.

I say again that you are very bad at reading comprehension. Hopefully this version will be easier to follow.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to follow your lead down Ad Hominem Lane. Your mom is a noob, or something.

ryancee7
01-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Alright, let's review:

The claim being made is that the script is cheating because it improves the play experience for the user. There's a whole lot of rooster-waving semantically null cruft piled on top of that, but that's the heart of the issue.

So, logically, the contention is that improving the gameplay experience is cheating.

Tweaking the netcode commands is done purely to improve the gameplay experience.

Therefore, IF improving the gameplay experience is cheating AND the netcode commands are only tweaked to improve the gameplay experience, THEN the same people who are arguing that this script is cheating must also hold that tweaking the netcode commands is cheating. If not, their position is hypocritical and baseless.

I say again that you are very bad at reading comprehension. Hopefully this version will be easier to follow.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to follow your lead down Ad Hominem Lane. Your mom is a noob, or something.

Totally Agree I see no difference between this script and using net tweaks.

And dude, Kinkade man you really gotta calm down with the noob calling, all it does is make automatic pistols haha, it's not like they shoot insta death nukes out.

john_volkov
01-24-2011, 12:49 AM
I just tried it out a bit ago , I just did the hole carnival even with pistlols only it was shoting 30 rounds in an insane ammount of time,if you don't call that an edge I don't know what is.

TGUSOL
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM

If it is too create fake lag then yes, there are plenty of things you can do within the "Rules" that really are borderline and have always been.

I would rather upload my skills than download them. when i win it is because i played better, not beacuse i use sciprts to carry out things i could not do otherwise or use low graphics tweaks or the aids for the disabled.

What next you'll point me at steam stats and be telling me i need steam to play MP onlines....wait that was another discussion, still nice to see the same people wrong again.

shazzz
01-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Alright, let's review:

You're the one who don't seem to comprehend that changing a value of a cvar option is not the same thing as having something run the command +attack 20 times per second. If you can't understand this then you're the one with a comprehension problem.

Sublime2k
01-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Instead of turning off the automatic reload, it may be easier to hit "2" or "q" to switch the script to the pistol settings. Scripts are completely reliant on loops and button presses (What I wouldn't give for conditional statement support and other basic programming logic), so it has no way of knowing when your current weapon is changed by the game and not you. So the next time you get beaten down by a tank, just hit "2" and the pistols should stop auto-reloading.
That's good to know, pressing 2 (below W) is much more handy than pressing keypad plus. :)

I don't use the dynamic crosshair either. I'm just afraid that turning it off by default is a large step above changing the crosshair color. So, I left the command in the script to allow people to change it on their own.
I see your point. :) When my crosshair was back to dynamic because of the script, it was a big change and surprise because I got used to non dynamic one.

Thanks for the support.
No problem. :)

Kinkade!
01-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Alright, let's review:

you putting an awefull lot of time into defending your kiddie script

Woden
01-24-2011, 04:09 AM
You're the one who don't seem to comprehend that changing a value of a cvar option is not the same thing as having something run the command +attack 20 times per second. If you can't understand this then you're the one with a comprehension problem.

Logic is such a lost art.

But, regardless of what positions we hold, Valve demonstrably thinks scripts are fine, so the discussion regarding morality can't go much beyond that.

I use pistol scripts because I would rather focus on the tactical situation than on holding my hand steady as I click like mad. I want as few impediments as possible between me and the game. That's as far as the decision-making process goes for me. Automatic pistols make the gameplay experience smoother and more enjoyable for me on the rare occasions that I use pistols instead of the vastly superior melee weapons.
inb4slipperyslope

you putting an awefull lot of time into defending your kiddie script

D'aww, it thinks it's people.

Kinkade!
01-24-2011, 04:48 AM
I will say absolutely anything I can think of to make excuises to use my noob kiddies script

Much more acurate

anthill955
01-24-2011, 04:53 AM
What has this thread told us? User scripts in Left 4 Dead 2 are very, very serious business.

shazzz
01-24-2011, 05:19 AM

But, regardless of what positions we hold, Valve demonstrably thinks scripts are fine, so the discussion regarding morality can't go much beyond that.

I use pistol scripts because I would rather focus on the tactical situation than on holding my hand steady as I click like mad. I want as few impediments as possible between me and the game. That's as far as the decision-making process goes for me. Automatic pistols make the gameplay experience smoother and more enjoyable for me on the rare occasions that I use pistols instead of the vastly superior melee weapons.
inb4slipperyslope

I'm not even discussing the morality of this anymore. I'm just saying your comparison makes no sense. Changing an option on the config once is not the same as having something running commands for you at an impossible speed. That's all.

jasminethecat
01-24-2011, 05:49 AM

inb4slipperyslope

You use pistol scripts because it gives you an advantage, an advantage that is not in the game without modifying it. You can sugar-coat it all you want, but you are changing the characteristics of the pistol to make it go beyond fully-automatic.

You get more damage per second than you can without the script. You gain accuracy because you don't have to "click like mad". You are changing a gun intended to fire once per mouse click to fire one clip per mouse click. You can take down SI like a charger in probably half the time as a person without, which will reduce the damage to your teammates. You can take down SI from further away as mouse wobble from clicking is eliminated.

But still hold to the idea that you're just not cheating or exploiting. You said earlier "So, logically, the contention is that improving the gameplay experience is cheating." Your logic is so flawed that it isn't even describable.
Griefing improves the gameplay experience for the griefer.
Wall hacking improves the gameplay experience for the wall hacker.
Aimbotting improves the gameplay experience for the aimbotter.
Exploiting improves the gameplay experience for the exploiter.
Cheating improves the gameplay experience for the cheater.

Playing fair improves OUR gameplay experience, as does owning people who have a compulsion to "improve their own gameplay experience" by any means necessary.

I do agree that since valve allows it you can "legally" do it, but it is a weak, lame, cheap way to play, just like skipping parts of levels or using any other type of exploit/cheat. It shows a lack of a player's skill and a lack of respect for the people they play with.

john_volkov
01-24-2011, 06:15 AM
I really hate this script as well.

NKuga
01-24-2011, 06:32 AM
What has this thread told us? User scripts in Left 4 Dead 2 are very, very serious business.

Indeed. On the other hand, any publicity is good publicity. The hater gang is indirectly getting my script more downloads and giving me enthusiasm to continue supporting it. Keep up the stellar work, guys!

Prepucius
01-24-2011, 09:27 AM
You use pistol scripts because it gives you an advantage, an advantage that is not in the game without modifying it.

That's not true. You don't have to modify the game to use scripts.

You can sugar-coat it all you want, but you are changing the characteristics of the pistol to make it go beyond fully-automatic.

That's not true either, it does not make the pistol go beyond fully-automatic. It won't aim or fire for you. It won't tingle when you're in danger. It won't make you invulnerable. It won't make you fly.

You're funny. You talk like people are making up excuses and apologizing as if they're ashamed, yet you have no qualms resorting to hyperbole and lies in order to make a point.

You get more damage per second than you can without the script. You gain accuracy because you don't have to "click like mad".

Not necessarily. If you can pull off headshots consistently, this script will only waste ammo, and any accuracy gains would be redundant.

You are changing a gun intended to fire once per mouse click to fire one clip per mouse click.

What you failed to realize is that such a change is only possible because the game offers an option to achieve it. You can't really talk about hacking or exploiting here, since the developers not only allow that change, but actually provide the tools to do so.

But I understand, it can be hard to see small details from your high horse.

I want my eggspensive mouse to last forever, and I'm of a certain age, so I'd rather avoid repetitive strain injuries. I don't use or need that script as a crutch for lack of skill, I use it for comfort.

You don't see me calling you an idiot because you refuse to take advantage of a game feature. And it has nothing to do with my opinion about you - it's called common sense and courtesy. It's your game and I don't get to play it for you. Likewise, you have no business passing judgement on my choice of configuration. Why do you insist in doing so?

You can take down SI like a charger in probably half the time as a person without, which will reduce the damage to your teammates. You can take down SI from further away as mouse wobble from clicking is eliminated.

You should try it before making any assumptions. The way you talk, people would think scripts can operate miracles. They can't.

But still hold to the idea that you're just not cheating or exploiting.

And rightfully so. There's an universe of difference between using an advanced configuration option and cheating or exploiting. Weren't you too wrapped up in passing judgement on other people, maybe you could educate yourself on the subject and understand why. But you're too busy calling names and promoting your self-righteous ways, no time to waste with facts, uh?

You said earlier "So, logically, the contention is that improving the gameplay experience is cheating." Your logic is so flawed that it isn't even describable.
Griefing improves the gameplay experience for the griefer.
Wall hacking improves the gameplay experience for the wall hacker.
Aimbotting improves the gameplay experience for the aimbotter.
Exploiting improves the gameplay experience for the exploiter.
Cheating improves the gameplay experience for the cheater.

You can't appeal to logic if you decide to disregard the facts. That's not how it works.

You're still trying to put scripts in the same category as aimbotting, griefing and wallhacking, despite the fact that the developer has a completely different notion.

You don't get to criticize other people's logical reasoning after spewing that much BS. It doesn't lend any credibility to your argument. It only shows how little you know about the subject and, honestly, when you pontificate on stuff you don't understand, you're bound to make yourself look like a fool.

Playing fair improves OUR gameplay experience, as does owning people who have a compulsion to "improve their own gameplay experience" by any means necessary.

And who said *you* get to decide what's fair and what's not?

Here's a clue: You don't.

You keep going on about how script users will employ "any means necessary" to win, like aimbots or wallhacks, when in fact they're using only "means that are approved by the developer".

You're not earning any credibility by ignoring the facts and making crap up to defend a point you don't have. You might think it makes you look good, but in fact you're just coming across as meddlesome and obnoxious.

You obviously don't feel good about yourself just by taking what you perceive to be the righteous path. No, that won't do. You feel good about yourself by belittling and offending those who don't follow your very own notion of fairness.

Here's another clue: Nobody cares.

In the end, you play your game, I'll play mine, and no amount of proselytism will ever change that.

I do agree that since valve allows it you can "legally" do it, but it is a weak, lame, cheap way to play, just like skipping parts of levels or using any other type of exploit/cheat. It shows a lack of a player's skill and a lack of respect for the people they play with.

This is what you're saying:

"I don't care about what the developer says you can or cannot legally do, I have my own standards and they should be mandatory to everyone else because I think it makes me look better than other people".

You ignore the facts in an attempt to twist reality, you talk about stuff you don't understand, you lie, you call people lame, weak and cheap... and then you talk about respect.

Ain't that adorable?

Fairness is a worthy goal, but truth is you don't care a fig about it - unless *you* get to define the meaning and boundaries of fairness.

And you still think your opinion matters?

Kids these days...

1337warrior
01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh dear your are so very desperate to defend you useing this arnt you, thats called guilt matey.

There are about 40 different maps in this game and you look for the one single part that you think lets you off.

And more importantly corner camping isnt unfair because both teams play each map as survivors there is no advantage.

This script does give unfair advantage because its only an option to those who know about it and are noob enough to need it.

But the most telling thing is your username :)

Ahhhhhhh, there is more than one place where I think its unfair to play.
I don't use autopistol, the only script I use is connection tweaks. Not because its unfair but because I don't really need.

Just not a good job on trying to flame me with nickname, not mad at all. =)

ZombieHunterNL
01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Since when are people on this forum allowed to post "cheat" scripts.:confused:

now that we're working on it,i want an auto-magnum:rolleyes:
:pwhere is the forum moderator when you need him.:p

Odins Raven
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM

People aren't allowed to post cheats genius, you are just easily confused.
Here you can have my script- just go pick up a magnum.

Forum moderators are all around here, obviously they aren't closing the thread because there's nothing wrong with it. If there WAS it never would have gotten past a couple pages. Of course that doesn't mean anything to most of the smart people in this thread, because they know better then anyone else.

Oh and here's a thought, if scripts are cheating, then anyone crying about it in here, and then using the console to do ANYTHING, is a total hypocrite.

MrBrown
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
inb4slipperyslopeWith that over-simplified logic you can also explain why using an Aimbot is fine...

My Beard Turned
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Few things...

First, I wonder how many of the people crying how this is cheating are doing that just to seem "noble" but using the script themselves.

Second, it seems *MORE* like cheating (it still isn't) if you just download a script like this. Coming up with it yourself, typing it in yourself and tweaking it yourself is the way to do it. I've got my own self-written auto-pistol script that fires 9x a second since that's my clicking speed. Does that make me a cheater?

Finally, as has been stated many times, there's no modifying of files in any way here, and this can easily be typed in the console line by line. A cfg file's just a quicker way to put it in.

ryancee7
01-24-2011, 01:15 PM

It's not cheating, VAC doesn't care, and Valve gives you the ability to script things like this.

And It's god damn pistols people. For god sake, i'd rather everyone use auto pistols then run around with OP melee, killin things with 1 shot and killing hordes with 1-2 swips.

It's amazing how worked up ya'll can get of a simple script that allows the pistol to shoot it's BB's faster.

This works on the magnum also, but the magnum has a speed limit.

Woden
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
With that over-simplified logic you can also explain why using an Aimbot is fine...

It makes no sense to call it "oversimplified logic" when I was expressing my opinion, not constructing a chain of logic. But whatever. Aside from the obvious difference that aimbots are explicitly illegal and are enforced as such while scripts are explicitly legal, using an aimbot is letting your computer play for you, while using a script such as this one is not. And before somebody goes "nuh-uh, it's TOTALLY playing for you!!!!!!eleven", I would like to point out that the game involves a wee bit more than clicking the mouse really fast.

Setting all that aside for the moment, there's still the issue that this is L4D2, not 1. Pistol scripts in 1, which had useful pistols, were legitimately complaint-worthy, and I myself disdained them. In 2, who takes pistols? Aside from Dead Center 1, I rarely touch them, because the melee weapons are dramatically overpowered, so they're the clear choice to carry. The script relieves some of the annoyance I feel when circumstances force me to bring peashooters to a gunfight.

PugPug
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM
The wait test is a pretty cool idea.

I crafted my own autofire script because I just wanted a toggle button (I bound it to caps lock) since I like to select equipment by mouse wheel, Q and keyboard, depending on what I'm doing at the time. The toggle gives me total control without having to keep track of my script's behavior.

It shuts off autofire no matter what I do to switch, except hitting 2 (to select secondary weapon), which turns it on.

I also turn the crosshair color to "coral" when it is on so I know without firing.

I'm not at home right now but I can post it later if there is interest.

BigBadHarv
01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
The wait test is a pretty cool idea.

I crafted my own autofire script because I just wanted a toggle button (I bound it to caps lock) since I like to select equipment by mouse wheel, Q and keyboard, depending on what I'm doing at the time. The toggle gives me total control without having to keep track of my script's behavior.

It shuts off autofire no matter what I do to switch, except hitting 2 (to select secondary weapon), which turns it on.

I also turn the crosshair color to "coral" when it is on so I know without firing.

I'm not at home right now but I can post it later if there is interest.
I would like to see this script.

On a different note, guys, this script is a blast to use. Call it what you will, if you don't at least try it, you won't know what you're missing. It's good fun seeing the pistols unload so quickly.

PugPug
01-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I would like to see this script.

On a different note, guys, this script is a blast to use. Call it what you will, if you don't at least try it, you won't know what you're missing. It's good fun seeing the pistols unload so quickly.

Here you go, mate. Rebind the toggle key or adjust wait time to taste. And yes, it is a lot of fun, especially with the duals during horde events. It's also just convenient if all you have is a single pistol, or you are using a shotgun or sniper rifle on a tank.

//All equipment selection turns off autofire
//Except 2, which turns it on and selects your secondary weapon
bind mwheelup "invprev; DisableAuto"
bind mwheeldown "invnext; DisableAuto"
bind q "lastinv; DisableAuto"
bind 1 "slot1; DisableAuto"
bind 2 "slot2; EnableAuto"
bind 3 "slot3; DisableAuto"
bind 4 "slot4; DisableAuto"
bind 5 "slot5; DisableAuto"

//capslock is our toggle button
bind capslock ToggleAuto

//Make pressing the toggle button turn on autofire
alias ToggleAuto EnableAuto

//Player has either toggled on autofire or pressed 2 on their keyboard for pistol
//Bind mouse1 to autofiring
//Re-bind capslock to "turn off" autofire
//Change crosshair color
alias EnableAuto "bind mouse1 +AutoFire; alias ToggleAuto DisableAuto; ChangeCrosshair"

//Player has clicked and held mouse1 to autofire
//Set CurrentAction to the firing cycle script
alias +AutoFire "alias CurrentAction FireCycle; FireCycle;"

//Fire, then check to see if we should keep firing
alias FireCycle "+attack; wait 1; StopAndCheck"

//Should we keep firing?
//If CurrentAction == FireCycle, we will repeat the firing cycle
//If CurrentAction == CeaseFire, we will execute CeaseFire
alias StopAndCheck "-attack; wait 1; CurrentAction"

//Player has released the mouse1 button
//Lets set CurrentAction to ceasing fire
alias -AutoFire "alias CurrentAction CeaseFire"

//Cease fire!!!
alias CeaseFire ""

//Player has either toggled auto off or selected something other than their pistol
//Return mouse1 binding to default attack
//Return capslock binding to "turning on" autofire
//Return to original crosshair color
alias DisableAuto "bind mouse1 +attack; alias ToggleAuto EnableAuto; ResetCrosshair"

//Change or change back crosshair color
alias ResetCrosshair "cl_crosshair_blue 220;cl_crosshair_green 182;cl_crosshair_red 138"
alias ChangeCrosshair "cl_crosshair_blue 165;cl_crosshair_green 177;cl_crosshair_red 230"

monsto
01-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, sure.

When you run the Wait.Test command, it does a few things.

so Wait.Test is an actual l4d(2) command? I think that's the part that's getting me, is how he figures out whether or not Wait works without actually using it.

monsto
01-29-2011, 11:30 AM

sit, fool... hacks modify the game in ways that weren't intended. there's no packet level access to the data, so an external app that modifies your aim is cheating.

the wait command is in the game. and i can type these commands at the console.

it's exactly what competitive quake player used to do before a live match. depending on the league, you were given X amt of time to do console setup before a match started and people did ♥♥♥♥ like set fov, set textures to zero, setup railgun zoom scripts, etc etc. in the same situation, you could easily set this up in the same 2 minutes.

and if a competitive league wants to NOT allow it, then go them. It then simply becomes a parameter of the league.

monsto
01-29-2011, 11:40 AM

there's the rub right there. . . intention.

as soon as you can measure someones intention and build a system to account for it, you will have won life.

that's what this entire thread is about. and gun control, and corporate law and the RIAA and on and on.

in the game, there is no intention. wait is simply a tool. everyone in this thread hollerin about "it's cheating" assumes that the only intention to use it is to gain unfair advantage over other players.

in my case, i don't play competitively. hell i don't even play vs. MY intention is just to not have to beat on a key. i'm old (45) and my hand hasn't moved that fast since i was 13.

I'm not cheating. some people do and they want to justify it. holler at them. hollering at me in this forum aint solving jack.

Jayjones
01-29-2011, 11:46 AM
You don't like it, fine. sorry you don't. if you have no problem using it, the go right ahead no one's stopping you.

NKuga
02-05-2011, 06:10 PM
so Wait.Test is an actual l4d(2) command? I think that's the part that's getting me, is how he figures out whether or not Wait works without actually using it.

No.

Say I type this as a line of commands:
alias ping.check "net_graph 1; wait 600; net_graph 0"
bind f12 "ping.check"

I've created the command "ping.check." If I type ping.check into console (or hit f12), ping.check will execute those commands. It will set net_graph to 1, wait 600 frames, and then set net_graph to 0.

Now, if that server has wait disabled, it will set net_graph to 1, and then immediately set net_graph to 0. You wouldn't see anything because the commands would be executed before the next frame is rendered.

My Wait.Test is a command I made that basically just uses other alias-created commands and commands built into L4D2 to do some fancy (not really D: ) stuff that returns a different result depending if it was allowed to wait 2 frames to finish the sequence of commands or not.

JollyGiant13
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey Nkuga, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but when the script is active and you try to fill a car/tank/whatever with a gas can you kinda spazz out and can't fill the car/tank/whaterver.

NKuga
02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Hit "1" or "q". Or don't pick up things with your pistols out. The script doesn't magically know if you pick up something. It's impossible unless Valve makes client Source scripting more functional. And I really really doubt that will happen.

Also:

Features section of OP updated.

JollyGiant13
02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Hit "1" or "q". Or don't pick up things with your pistols out. The script doesn't magically know if you pick up something.

Ya, I figured that out just wanted to let you know in case you could make a fix. But with the speed of the pistols now it's fine if this is all I have to deal with.

Undying Zombie
02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I dunno but for some reason this reminds me of a HL1 mod called Natural Selection where you used to ( before the devs put in a delay ) be capable of emptying your clip in less than a second.. though you could do this by simply binding +attack to mwheel up and down.. Though people still assumed you used a script or macro when doing it lol.

Kinkade!
02-05-2011, 10:26 PM
It makes no sense to call it "oversimplified logic" when I was expressing my opinion, not constructing a chain of logic. But whatever. Aside from the obvious difference that aimbots are explicitly illegal and are enforced as such while scripts are explicitly legal, using an aimbot is letting your computer play for you, while using a script such as this one is not. And before somebody goes "nuh-uh, it's TOTALLY playing for you!!!!!!eleven", I would like to point out that the game involves a wee bit more than clicking the mouse really fast.

Setting all that aside for the moment, there's still the issue that this is L4D2, not 1. Pistol scripts in 1, which had useful pistols, were legitimately complaint-worthy, and I myself disdained them. In 2, who takes pistols? Aside from Dead Center 1, I rarely touch them, because the melee weapons are dramatically overpowered, so they're the clear choice to carry. The script relieves some of the annoyance I feel when circumstances force me to bring peashooters to a gunfight.

You say its ok in one game and not in another, and you try to justify contradicting yourself by saying you dont use pistols?

If you dont use pistols why are you useing this infantile kiddie script then?

Can I ask your opinion on other possibilities?

What about a script for making any other gun unload twice as fast?

What about one that speeds up the Tank?

Or one that makes the survovors run faster?

Jayjones
02-05-2011, 11:19 PM
You say its ok in one game and not in another, and you try to justify contradicting yourself by saying you dont use pistols?

If you dont use pistols why are you useing this infantile kiddie script then?

Can I ask your opinion on other possibilities?

Angry post? bad day?

Edit: my 360th post!! :D

NKuga
02-05-2011, 11:42 PM

Impossible with what we're given. The only reason that pistols can even be fired quickly is because VALVE set that rapid speed as the maximum fire rate.

Perhaps you should read up on how console commands work before you post more inane babble.

monsto
02-06-2011, 12:02 AM
My Wait.Test is a command I made that basically just uses other alias-created commands and commands built into L4D2 to do some fancy (not really D: ) stuff that returns a different result depending if it was allowed to wait 2 frames to finish the sequence of commands or not.

hm . . . so not every context of Wait use would hang the client? so you found a way to run Wait where it wouldn't hang?

interesting. . . and inconsistent.

thanks for the tutorial.

NKuga
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
If sv_allow_wait_command is 0, the client will act like the wait command doesn't exist. This inherently isn't a problem, but some rather problematic issues start popping up if you use wait to manage a loop. Take this code for example:

//Pistol High
alias +Auto.Pistol.On.High "alias Auto.Pistol.B.High Auto.Pistol.C.High; Auto.Pistol.C.High"
alias -Auto.Pistol.On.High "alias Auto.Pistol.B.High "
alias Auto.Pistol.B.High "Auto.Pistol.C.High"
alias Auto.Pistol.C.High "+attack; wait 5; -attack; wait 5; Auto.Pistol.B.High"

While +Auto.Pistol.On.High is active (pressing and holding left mouse button), notice that that command does two things. First, it changes B to loop to C. Second, it goes to C. C fires for five frames, stops attacking and waits for another five frames, and then loops back to B. B immediately loops back to C. When you let go of the left mouse button, -Auto.Pistol.On.High is activated. This severs the loop by changing B to do nothing.

So what happens if the wait command is disabled?

When +Auto.Pistol.On.High is activated, it changes B to point to C and then goes to C. C fires, stops firing, and goes to B in the same frame. B goes back to C in the same frame. C fires, stops firing, and goes back to B in the same frame; et cetera.

An infinite loop is born! The Source Engine grinds to a halt while attempting to process thousands of +attack/-attack commands in a single frame.

In any case, my wait test just preemptively disables the automatic pistols so this does not happen.

bl4ckrider
02-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I would like to request a script that kills every infected once it appears on my screen.

I will kill them anyway once I see them and they can always attack from behind, but I could protect my wrist and mousepad if I didn't have to move the mouse all the time.

Thank you in advance.

Kinkade!
02-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Impossible with what we're given. The only reason that pistols can even be fired quickly is because VALVE set that rapid speed as the maximum fire rate.

Perhaps you should read up on how console commands work before you post more inane babble.

I was taking the p1ss you stupid noob!

mystrdat
02-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Nice, more uninformed people burning the wait command on a cross due to misunderstanding scripting principles. Thirdpersonshoulder, auto-pistol scripts, glow scripts, time toggles... none is any close to "cheating" and definitely not "hacking", which is something that makes me choke vomit when I hear it in relation to petty aimbotting.

You disable the wait command on your server = you're basically denying Source it's NORMAL USUAL AWESOME feature which many people use in ways absolutely unrelated to any pistols = you're no different from 8v8 lobby vote disabled servers, which I believe everyone regards as the lowest low of all lows.

shazzz
02-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Nice, more uninformed people burning the wait command on a cross due to misunderstanding scripting principles. Thirdpersonshoulder, auto-pistol scripts, glow scripts, time toggles... none is any close to "cheating" and definitely not "hacking", which is something that makes me choke vomit when I hear it in relation to petty aimbotting.

You disable the wait command on your server = you're basically denying Source it's NORMAL USUAL AWESOME feature which many people use in ways absolutely unrelated to any pistols = you're no different from 8v8 lobby vote disabled servers, which I believe everyone regards as the lowest low of all lows.

Why is it so important to you to use scripts?

NKuga
02-06-2011, 07:42 AM
I was taking the p1ss you stupid noob!

Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed you were uninformed and not just some butthurt scrub. My bad.

Why are some players so against utilizing the Valve approved tools that they have available?

Odins Raven
02-06-2011, 12:32 PM

why is it so important to you if that we don't?

shazzz
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
why is it so important to you if that we don't?

Because there's no reason you need a script that uses the wait command. I don't care about glow scripts, but I'm against autofire, bunnyhop, etc. And since there's no way to block only one of those things, I just disallow them all, on my server. And I asked mystrdat why was he so upset that he couldn't use his scripts. Just disable them for the current server and play, or disconnect.

Adenru
02-07-2011, 12:42 AM
NKuga, thanks for the script. I just hate rapid clicking with pistols.
I also in love with sniper rifles, is there a similar script for them?

julmiZ
02-07-2011, 12:53 AM

I'm not sure what this script consists of since I made a simple auto-shoot script myself. Obviously works with every weapon so I would assume this would too.

Shazam
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Apparently Makes People Rage
- Users on forums get mad about stuff built into the game and Valve approved
- Less QQ, more pew pew
- Script does not include an angry dome; sorry
[/B]

lol'd

Adenru
02-07-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm not sure what this script consists of since I made a simple auto-shoot script myself. Obviously works with every weapon so I would assume this would too.
Well, it certainly will need a key for deactivation or you'll have problems with putting colla and fueling.

Euclix
02-07-2011, 04:11 AM
I don't know about other scripts but this one doesn't give you an advantage imo, only a disadvantage. If you are running around guns a blazin' at the maximum fire rate, you also have the maximum recoil/spread. That means you're not getting as many head shots as you should. I see no reason to fire the pistols at their maximum rate except for rare occasions (out of ammo and there is a tank, for example).

This script is for people who don't want to break their mice (hard to imagine this actually happening) or people that are just too old/lazy to fire the pistols rapidly.

I would never use it because I usually don't want to spam the pistols. If I'm using a shot gun, I will fire them very slowly to get head shots on that distant smoker. If I am using them to kill zombies because I want to save my machine gun/sniper rifle for specials, I will be short burst firing/single shotting zombies heads. The only thing a pistol script will do is decrease my accuracy or cause me to reload more often in the case of shooting zombies.

Say your shooting a pounding charger with the pistols. Okay you could use the pistol script and have a pseudo ak or you could just shoot it's head carefully and controlled to kill it even quicker. The magnum for example takes something like ten deagle shots to kill it. Or you could just shoot it in the head three times. Much quicker. So although I understand the debate about cheating. I think you are all wasting your breath on this one.

NKuga
02-08-2011, 06:26 AM

It's doable, but there would be problems with it. Specifically, you would have trouble with actions that require holding down the left mouse button, much in the same way that the pistols cause issues. Except if you had both an automatic fire and automatic pistols on, you would need either need to toggle it off every time or bind an entirely separate key to +attack and use that to do those actions.

Not really worth the trouble, imo. Let me know if you really want it and I'll see what I can do.

This script is for people who don't want to break their mice (hard to imagine this actually happening) or people that are just too old/lazy to fire the pistols rapidly.

My original intention when I made the early versions of this script for L4D1 was to make dual pistols fire quickly while keeping my aiming steady. I'm not the best player out there. When I spam left click my aim can shake a bit. I guess I can admit that the script gives me a slight advantage over another player. But I have absolutely no guilt over using it, especially when I released my version and subsequent revisions so that anyone who wanted to try it could.

In L4D2, I like to think of it as an attempt to equalize the power of the secondary weapons. We all know that the magnum and melee are superior choices; this just allows the dual pistols to carve out a niche as having less accurate but higher sustained ranged DPS versus the magnum. To be honest, I don't see why Valve just doesn't pull a TF2 and fix the pistols permanently. Then no one would have a reason to ♥♥♥♥♥ over an obsolete script.

zoquan
02-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Nice work on the script, NKuga.

Choke vomit? LOL. Here's hoping that every server you load into has disabled the wait command. It sounds like you would be curled up on the ground in the fetal position if you ever ended up on a server with realism settings. No glow scripts? Oh no!

Euclix
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
When I spam left click my aim can shake a bit. I guess I can admit that the script gives me a slight advantage over another player.

When you spam the pistols, the random spread goes up so much that I don't see how it makes a difference whether your hand is steady or not, it's all random at that point.

I mean maybe if your hand really goes off the deep end I could understand. But then the script will only help you bring you to a level that other players are at and you should be, it's not really an advantage but a handicap.

BTW, the magnum is a tier 2 weapon, it's supposed to be better than the pistols.

NKuga
02-08-2011, 05:25 PM
BTW, the magnum is a tier 2 weapon, it's supposed to be better than the pistols.

And dual pistols are technically tier 2 also.

Euclix
02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
And dual pistols are technically tier 2 also.

I did not know this.

NKuga
02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I guess 1.5 is more appropriate considering the primary weapons. But since most magnum spawns are interchangeable with second pistol spawns, I suppose that they are on the same intended level. Whatever.

On the wait issue:
Admins are allowed to do whatever they want with their servers. They are well within their rights to stop wait scripts with another tool Valve gave them. Don't mind it at all. Just as players can choose to play on a server or not. Options are never bad, yo.

Adenru
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
It's doable, but there would be problems with it. Specifically, you would have trouble with actions that require holding down the left mouse button, much in the same way that the pistols cause issues. Except if you had both an automatic fire and automatic pistols on, you would need either need to toggle it off every time or bind an entirely separate key to +attack and use that to do those actions.

Not really worth the trouble, imo. Let me know if you really want it and I'll see what I can do.

Will script ruin assault rifles?
To tell the truth, does not matter to me since I usuaaly have sniper+melee or shotgun+pistols, so I see no problem in toggling script with num+.
If it won't ruin assault rifles, that would be a cake:D

julmiZ
02-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Wait, this is a toggle script? Thats just stupid.

Make a simple script that shoots at the fastest rate by holding down a button. That would require an extra mouse button but who doesn't have one? Also works with rifles and shotguns and its much better since it doesn't require toggling. I would paste mine right now but I'm not at home and can't really remember the wait timings.

NKuga
02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Wait, this is a toggle script? Thats just stupid.

Make a simple script that shoots at the fastest rate by holding down a button. That would require an extra mouse button but who doesn't have one? Also works with rifles and shotguns and its much better since it doesn't require toggling. I would paste mine right now but I'm not at home and can't really remember the wait timings.

It probably has twenty times the code yours does. Try it or actually read the features section before calling it a simple toggle script.

Will script ruin assault rifles?
To tell the truth, does not matter to me since I usuaaly have sniper+melee or shotgun+pistols, so I see no problem in toggling script with num+.
If it won't ruin assault rifles, that would be a cake:D

Yes, an autofire will make the fire rate of assault rifles noticeably slower unless the wait commands are timed perfectly. Which is impossible, given how every single player's framerate will be fluctuating constantly (unless vsync is on) and how different guns have different rate of fire.

Sublime2k
02-14-2011, 05:47 AM
I sent you a PM about this, but I'll post here as well in case someone else is interested.

It would be nice if you could post a script for auto reload alone because I seem to have occasional problems with crashing when activating/deactivating auto firing. I don't use it anyway so I don't need it in my autoexec.

Of course, crosshair indicator and everything else auto reload related should remain in the script because it has worked flawlessly so far.

I have question, though. Why doesn't auto firing work on every server? I think I remember reading somewhere that some servers don't allow wait command. But doesn't auto reload also use wait command? It worked in every game so far.

Seelenfrieden
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
It would be nice if you could post a script for auto reload alone....

Oh yes, this wouldt be very nice.

NKuga
02-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Open the autoexec.cfg in notepad, scroll down to //Script Defaults, and follow the instructions to turn off the pistols and/or make automatic reloading default to on.

Also, the automatic reload function does not use the wait command. It will work on every server.

I am sort of concerned about the crashing though. It's the first I've heard of problems with the automatic pistols. When does the crash occur? Immediately when you switch, when you fire your first shot, during the firing loop, when you switch back to another weapon, etc. Have you made any changes to the binds in the script or anything?

Sublime2k
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
The script is untouched and it happened randomly when I was checking if it's on or off, i.e. I tried shooting the pistols, then pressed numpad enter, then tried shooting again.

Sublime2k
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Open the autoexec.cfg in notepad, scroll down to //Script Defaults, and follow the instructions to turn off the pistols and/or make automatic reloading default to on.
I was actually thinking about removing the script for auto firing altogether, i.e. deleting the text from .cfg file.

Also, the automatic reload function does not use the wait command. It will work on every server.
Well that explains it. :)

NKuga
02-14-2011, 05:13 PM
The script is untouched and it happened randomly when I was checking if it's on or off, i.e. I tried shooting the pistols, then pressed numpad enter, then tried shooting again.

I think I know why that happens. The script does not immediately perform the wait test after toggling the pistols back on. This creates a small window where the pistols can be forced on and a wait check is not run. This will cause a crash if the user has pistols selected before toggling autofire on, fires before switching weapons, and the server has wait disabled.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. It'll be fixed in the next version. The complexity of the script (i.e., cluster**** of retrofitted code) can cause little bugs like that to pop up occasionally.

I was actually thinking about removing the script for auto firing altogether, i.e. deleting the text from .cfg file.

Do so at your own peril. The code wasn't written to operate in bits and pieces. I'd help you with most modifications, but I'm unwilling to revise and remove significant portions of the script when the exact same result can be achieved by changing one line in the settings section. A couple dozen unused aliases never hurt anybody.

mattdamonsblues
02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
You should use scripts if:
-you want to prove you are bad at the game to yourself
-you used to by autofire joysticks for your NES because you cant beat games without it

If you can't be good at a game, make AI (aka bot aka scripts) to do it for you.
Pathetic.

Sublime2k
02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I think I know why that happens. The script does not immediately perform the wait test after toggling the pistols back on. This creates a small window where the pistols can be forced on and a wait check is not run. This will cause a crash if the user has pistols selected before toggling autofire on, fires before switching weapons, and the server has wait disabled.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. It'll be fixed in the next version. The complexity of the script (i.e., cluster**** of retrofitted code) can cause little bugs like that to pop up occasionally.
Heh, no problem. :) I'm glad if I can contribute to the development.

Do so at your own peril. The code wasn't written to operate in bits and pieces. I'd help you with most modifications, but I'm unwilling to revise and remove significant portions of the script when the exact same result can be achieved by changing one line in the settings section. A couple dozen unused aliases never hurt anybody.
I guess I'll just do it the simple way then... Don't want to screw things up.

-you used to by autofire joysticks for your NES because you cant beat games without it

Pathetic.
You should shut up and go away.

mattdamonsblues
02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
The truth and reality are always so harsh to the cheats.

Here it is again, truth hurts:

Pathetic.

NKuga
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
You prefer them and the enhancements/conveniences they provide.

Oddly enough, this script will not make you any better or worse than you already are. And judging from those opinions, you're probably rather bad.

Do you know how ****ing hard it was in Bomberman 64 to get those extra stages? I hurt my fingers doing that. D:

Pathetic.
Holy ♥♥♥♥, I invented AI with my four-level pistol script! Imagine what I could do with basic logical operators.

QQ more, ignorant plebeian.

Prepucius
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
The truth and reality are always so harsh to the cheats.

Here it is again, truth hurts:

Pathetic.

Yet another child not left behind.

Billions of tax dollars spent to defend the right to act fruitlessly and a massive investment of time and resources to foster idiocy.

Mission accomplished: Idiots everywhere!

...And now you understand why the ancient romans just threw them from the tarpeian rock at the first sign of feeble-mindedness.

Wuer
02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Hello. Can we use only the "wait test" in another cfg to disable glows? How? Thx

NKuga
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Hello. Can we use only the "wait test" in another cfg to disable glows? How? Thx

An always on loop is another can of worms. It is drastically different from a controlled loop like the automatic pistol script is because the loop is always active, even when you are not connected to a server.

That said, I have a few theories regarding how a wait test could be implemented effectively. The most graceful solution is to embed the test directly into the loop and allow it to break the loop if wait is disabled. Alternatively, one could make a long non-continuous loop that renews its ability to start the next cycle when triggered by a common action, such as hitting the "W" key. Or maybe even a hybrid approach that works in a more comprehensive manner when changing servers.

I probably won't be able to take a detailed look at the code and test it until this weekend. If anyone else wants to take a crack at it in the meantime, feel free.

Wuer
02-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the explanation, will keep a look to your thread in case you can release something related. Thanks!

NKuga
02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Edit: Angry words no longer required.

Sublime2k
02-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Is there a way to check if wait command is enabled on a server?

NKuga
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
sv_allow_wait_command

zato-1
02-15-2011, 09:21 PM
so when you use your mouse wheel to fire, telling it to attack 20 times in a second, thats cheating, got it. ill make sure to throw my mouse out.

you're wrong and you know it. the script doesn't allow pistols to be fired any faster than their maximum rate of fire. it doesn't make the pistols more accurate, or less accurate, than clicking the button yourself. the pistols max rate of fire is easily achieved, this script saves the trouble of killing your mouse. if you are unable to achieve maximum rate of fire using your hands, then the fault lies on YOU, not the script. thousands of other players are more capable than you and were previously destroying their mouses achieving maximum rate of fire on a weapon which should have already been LMB-automatic from the start.

but you don't see that, because you're caught up in your stupid self-righteous argument where you pretend you are a videogame purist whose skill is more meaningful because you stubbornly choose manual input when automated input is not only more efficient but less detrimental to your own health.

FYI.. mouse mashing.. NOT A SKILL.

Sifer2
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
If Valve didn't want people to cheat this they should have fixed this when they made L4D2. Since people scripted it in L4D1 as well.

IMO they should have done this anyway. Added a set firing rate an allow you to hold down the button to fire as fast as it will fire. Should be like that for Shotguns/Snipers too. Would be more fair an less carpal tunnel. But since they are too silly to do that I don't mind abusing it with scripts an saving myself the carpal tunnel. Blame Valve for leaving the same exploitable rapid fire ability in the game NES games did lol.

Euclix
02-15-2011, 09:59 PM
FYI.. mouse mashing.. NOT A SKILL.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was trying to make. This script doesn't really do anything.

But let me ask OP this. Didn't valve remove fps max to make it harder to 'cheat' with scripts. Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me. Why did they remove fps max?

Because if they did it to make scripting harder, well, maybe that does indicate that they frown upon this?

Vink
02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
If Valve didn't want people to cheat this they should have fixed this when they made L4D2. Since people scripted it in L4D1 as well.

IMO they should have done this anyway. Added a set firing rate an allow you to hold down the button to fire as fast as it will fire. Should be like that for Shotguns/Snipers too. Would be more fair an less carpal tunnel. But since they are too silly to do that I don't mind abusing it with scripts an saving myself the carpal tunnel. Blame Valve for leaving the same exploitable rapid fire ability in the game NES games did lol.

To be fair, TF2 originally had the pistol act like this, but decided that scripts made the weapon unfair. The pistol now fires at a fixed rate.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/August_13,_2009_Patch

Sublime2k
02-16-2011, 05:19 AM
sv_allow_wait_command
Thanks. :)

Now I'm going to use this:

bind "F4" "waitcheck"
alias "waitcheck" "toggleconsole; clear; echo [WAIT COMMAND CHECK]; wait 60; sv_allow_wait_command"

Because of this:

alias "quickpill" "use weapon_pain_pills; wait 40; +attack; wait 40; -attack"
bind "g" "quickpill"
alias "quickadr" "use weapon_adrenaline; wait 40; +attack; wait 40; -attack"
bind "h" "quickadr"

Maybe someone finds it useful. :)

Jayjones
03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Do you plan on updating this script at any time?

NKuga
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah. I've been swamped with classwork and projects (and a burning desire to do nothing productive), but spring break is finally here. I apologize for not giving you guys a heads up.

I'll probably fix the previously mentioned issues first, and then start on a total rewrite to slim down the script and make the alias names more consistent/user friendly. This script isn't totally abandoned yet.

Sublime2k
03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear that. :)

NKuga
03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
up

1.02:
- Fixed potential crash when manually toggling automatic pistols on while playing in a wait disabled server
- Changed default pistol toggle key to keypad slash and automatic reloading key to keypad multiply in order to reduce the possibility of conflicts with other scripts like SEADS

Download (http://www.mediafire.com/?k0bu7bxbaj8i1ng)

Script rewrite is next on the agenda. Wait check for glow scripts might eventually come too if enough people care about it. Time to get flowcharting so I can figure out how to slim down this beast.

Edit: I hate flowcharting

NKuga
03-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Finally finished rewriting this sucker. Ready for beta, yo.

Changes include:

- excess code removed or optimized (25% reduction in script size [9KB vs 12.2KB])

- the naming scheme of aliases has been made consistent throughout the script

- identification of aliases and organization of code has been improved

- pistol and crosshair script settings have been simplified for easier user configuration

Try your hardest to break the script. I've been testing it for at least an hour now, but I want to be sure it's stable. I combined a lot of old/new code and small glitches may arise because of it. If you can find any reproducible problems or crashes, please let me know.

Download (http://www.mediafire.com/?9yn6cjfz8nc525s)

Jayjones
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a glow script named the same exact file name as this one. Does this mean i can't have both?

Edit: WOOT 500TH POST

NKuga
03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a glow script named the same exact file name as this one. Does this mean i can't have both?

Edit: WOOT 500TH POST

Rename your glow script to (anything).cfg
In my autoexec.cfg, add a line at the top or bottom that says "exec (anything).cfg" without the quotes.

Sheepdawg
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
its a script. its a 'hack'. How the ♥♥♥♥ is this even still here and not locked. People like you ruin this game.

However....gratz on creating a script. I been learning programming and, well...its not like the easiest thing in the world.

I still dont like you. And also you said READ THE RED LETTERS. Lol all it says is auto fire is on and auto reload is off, you have to turn it on. LOL.

Honestly, if you cant be bothered by clicking your mouse more than once to fire more than one round...you blow.

Sublime2k
03-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Give it a rest, Sheepdawg. If you really mind it so much, there are servers that don't allow the wait command, play there.

NKuga, how exactly does the wait test work?

I used to have problems with pulsating custom glows in the past, the game would freeze on loading screen if the server didn't allow the wait command. Then I switched to non-pulsating custom glows and the problem disappeared completely.

Maybe it's different with your script because wait command is not used instantly when loading the game (like glows, which are visible all the time).

I'll test your rewritten script a bit. :)

coffee2go
03-08-2011, 05:07 AM
would this work ?

//Wait Testing Scripts
//Wait Test
alias Wait.Test_a "alias Wait.Result Wait.Disabled; Wait.Test.1; Wait.Test.2"
alias Wait.Test.1 "wait; Wait.Result"
alias Wait.Test.2 "alias Wait.Result Wait.Enabled"
alias Wait.Result "Wait.Enabled"
alias Wait.Disabled "echo Wait is Disabled...; Wait.Scripts.Off"
alias Wait.Enabled "Wait.Scripts.On"
//Result Scripts
alias Wait.Scripts.Off ""
alias Wait.Scripts.On "exec glow.cfg"

and have a bind for Wait.Test_a ?

sloppinjoe
03-08-2011, 05:28 AM
this is good for those who are over 30 and have arthritis in thier fingers

NKuga
03-08-2011, 07:14 AM
would this work ?

and have a bind for Wait.Test_a ?

Glow scripts are different because they are always running. I haven't added support for them because it's tricky to implement. I have ideas for doing it, but all of them involve modifying the glow script itself, which is not user-friendly in the least.

NKuga, how exactly does the wait test work?

I used to have problems with pulsating custom glows in the past, the game would freeze on loading screen if the server didn't allow the wait command. Then I switched to non-pulsating custom glows and the problem disappeared completely.

See This (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20682915&postcount=145).

Also This (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20687501&postcount=154)for why it crashes.

azamodaz
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I just downloaded this and edited the .cfg to execute this other glow config I have. The turbo pistol fire did not work but the auto reload function did.
Pressing * made auto reload work.

I tried / \ and neither of those made the pistols autofire.

NKuga
03-08-2011, 07:53 AM
I just downloaded this and edited the .cfg to execute this other glow config I have. The turbo pistol fire did not work but the auto reload function did.
Pressing * made auto reload work.

I tried / \ and neither of those made the pistols autofire.

Just a question, but did you try this on your own local server (single player), or did you try on a dedicated server? Because you might have run into a wait disabled server, which would mean the script is functioning as intended.

coffee2go
03-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Glow scripts are different because they are always running. I haven't added support for them because it's tricky to implement. I have ideas for doing it, but all of them involve modifying the glow script itself, which is not user-friendly in the least. [...]

I have my default glow script in my autoexec without any wait commands. What I wanted to do is press for example Num0, script checks if wait is allowed, if its allowed execute my glow.cfg

NKuga
03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I have my default glow script in my autoexec without any wait commands. What I wanted to do is press for example Num0, script checks if wait is allowed, if its allowed execute my glow.cfg

It would work in that case if you bound a key to Wait.Test_a, but you need to be aware of problems that can arise: (Accounting for all possible situations is not easy and it's one of the reasons why I had such a pain-in-the-♥♥♥ time making and implementing the wait test in the first place)

You join a server and it is set to sv_allow_wait 1.
You press num0 and activate the glow script.
You leave and join another server that has sv_allow_wait 0 in the same game session.
Game crash as soon as the map loads.

Hence why I need to find an elegant way to embed the test into glow scripts so that it is always ready to sever/restart the loop depending on the server settings.

coffee2go
03-08-2011, 10:44 AM
It would work in that case if you bound a key to Wait.Test_a, but you need to be aware of problems that can arise: (Accounting for all possible situations is not easy and it's one of the reasons why I had such a pain-in-the-♥♥♥ time making and implementing the wait test in the first place)

You leave and join another server that has sv_allow_wait 0 in the same game session.

Hence why I need to find an elegant way to embed the test into glow scripts so that it is always ready to sever/restart the loop depending on the server settings.

As a simple workaround Ive binned to my disconnect key "exec autoexec.cfg" to get rid of my glow.cfg. It'd would be cool if you could make it work without any binds but as of now it works just fine for me.

btw thanks for the scripts and help !

NKuga
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Edit:Nevermind, should've checked before posting.

Glad I could help.

Sublime2k
03-08-2011, 11:43 AM

This is my problem exactly. I join a game, see if wait command is allowed, if it is I execute a separate .cfg with pulsating glows and everything is fine. Then I exit the game, join another one that doesn't allow wait command and crash because I forgot my pulsating glows are enabled...

As a simple workaround Ive binned to my disconnect key "exec autoexec.cfg" to get rid of my glow.cfg. It'd would be cool if you could make it work without any binds but as of now it works just fine for me.

btw thanks for the scripts and help !
And this looks like a solution to my problem. Just bind execution of separate .cfg with non-pulsating glows to my disconnect key and that's it.

I don't really mind manually checking if wait command is allowed and executing the glows. All I want is not to crash. :) Thanks for the idea.

See This (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20682915&postcount=145).

Also This (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20687501&postcount=154)for why it crashes.
Thanks for explanation. :) If I got it right, wait check is done every time you try to activate auto firing? If wait command is not allowed, the script doesn't activate auto firing?

egor1908
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Why use this script, when 98% of people here can make a similar macros in 7 minutes?

Wuer
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
What should be the exact command to bind that to the Disconnect?

Thanks

egor1908
03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Wuer

In order to use this script, enter this into your console:bind mouse1 quit

NKuga
03-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for explanation. :) If I got it right, wait check is done every time you try to activate auto firing? If wait command is not allowed, the script doesn't activate auto firing?

Basically. There's also an alias called Pistol.Refresh that holds the user desired status of pistols and doesn't change regardless of what happens in the wait check. (Pistol.Enabled or Pistol.Disabled) This way the original pistol setting is preserved and re-enabled after switching from a wait disabled server to an enabled server with automatic pistols on or vice-versa if you want the pistols off. At the cost of sounding a bit arrogant, I'd like to reiterate that some thought went into the creation and implementation of all of this wait test jazz.

Why use this script, when 98% of people here can make a similar macros in 7 minutes?

Hmm? Do explain. Are you talking about mouse macros or basic pistol scripts? Either way, it's like apples and oranges.

What should be the exact command to bind that to the Disconnect?

This is kind of a jury rigged solution, but whatever.

You need to do three things. First you need to write an additional sub-script in each loop of the glow script (or make every single glow pulse into one big loop) to allow you to toggle the loop on and off with two separate commands. Next, you need to change Wait.Enabled to alias Wait.Enabled "Pistol.Refresh; [Command to enable and restart loop if another alias returns that the loop is not active]" (or you could just force the loop restart for simplicity's sake, I guess.) and then make a disconnect command like this:
alias Quit.Server "disconnect; [Command to disable Loop and maybe load static glow settings]"
bind [key] "Quit.Server"

Of course, that is a cluster**** of a script that works but requires manual input.

Or you could wait a few days for me to add the support in a much more efficient and autonomous manner.

EDIT:

If you want to do it completely wrong but still make it work at a functional level, you can just add this to Wait.Enabled

"Pistol.Refresh; [Glow Script Off Command]; wait X[longest glow loop duration + 1]; [Glow Script On Command]"

and still use the above disconnect Alias.

MordGesicht
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
These scripts are cool and all, but they don't belong in MP. They just don't.

NKuga
03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
These scripts are cool and all, but they don't belong in MP. They just don't.

Why? Any PC player has equal access scripts. It's part of the game. Hell, you don't even need to know what an alias is or much beyond binding keys if want to use them.

In TF2, people whined over and over about Scout/Engie Pistol scripts and Soldier/Demo automatic reloading. Valve decided they were good ideas and added the features in an update. Now no one ♥♥♥♥♥es about it because everyone has it.

If scripts like mine were so commonplace that almost everyone used them, would you still call it unfair?

Sublime2k
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
@Wuer & NKuga:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but isn't this simpler?

bind "F4" "waitcheck"
alias "waitcheck" "toggleconsole; clear; sv_allow_wait_command"
bind "F11" "disconnect; exec glow1"
bind "F12" "exec glow2"

Of course, glow1 would be non-pulsating and glow2 would be pulsating. You enter the game, press F4, if wait is allowed, press F12, get pulsating glow and that's it. Upon leaving the game, glow goes back to non-pulsating.

NKuga
03-08-2011, 02:49 PM
@Wuer & NKuga:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but isn't this simpler?

bind "F4" "waitcheck"
bind "F11" "disconnect; exec glow1"
bind "F12" "exec glow2"

Of course, glow1 would be non-pulsating and glow2 would be pulsating. You enter the game, press F4, if wait is allowed, press F12, get pulsating glow and that's it. Upon leaving the game, glow goes back to non-pulsating.

Glow2's loop would be still active even if you aren't in a server or activated another glow script. Hence upon joining a new server it could cause a crash. That's why you need to break the loop when disconnecting and then restart it when wait is enabled.

MordGesicht
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Why? Any PC player has equal access scripts. It's part of the game. Hell, you don't even need to know what an alias is or much beyond binding keys if want to use them.

In TF2, people whined over and over about Scout/Engie Pistol scripts and Soldier/Demo automatic reloading. Valve decided they were good ideas and added the features in an update. Now no one ♥♥♥♥♥es about it because everyone has it.

If scripts like mine were so commonplace that almost everyone used them, would you still call it unfair?

TF2 isn't comparable to this game. The only reason it could even be considered "fair" in that game, is because everybody has access to them, at all times in the game.

L4D2 is different, because it only gives ONE team an advantage, whilst leaving the other team at a disadvantage. Unless you also add an "autofire/autotarget" to the SI, all you've created is a lameass cheat that VAC (for some reason) doesn't construe as cheating.

It's completely ridiculous that anybody would say otherwise. It's basically saying "Here, let's give Team A the ability to shoot their weapons at their fastest possible speeds, AND eliminate the need to press a button to reload, while Team B doesn't even HAVE GUNS"

Do you see what I'm saying? It's only fair in a competitive scenario if both teams are able to utilize it simultaneously.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in saying what I'm saying. I do, however, think it's unreasonable to say that these are okay and fair to use in a competitive game mode.

NKuga
03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Both sets of four players are on survivor/infected teams the same amount of times. Weapon spawns are also identical for each team, so each player on both teams has the opportunity to use shotguns or dual pistols as often as any other player in the game. The exception being that there are not unlimited second pistols when another survivor picks up a melee weapon, but it is still identical at the team level. How is that not equal?

Your argument makes no sense.

MordGesicht
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Both sets of four players are on survivor/infected teams the same amount of times. Weapon spawns are also identical for each team, so each player on both teams has the opportunity to use shotguns or dual pistols as often as any other player in the game. The exception being that there are not unlimited second pistols when another survivor picks up a melee weapon, but it is still identical at the team level. How is that not equal?

Your argument makes no sense.

Makes no sense?

The infected have a hard enough time stopping survivors as it is, adding autofire scripts only worsens the experience for SI. Saying "Well they can use it when it's their turn" is just an excuse to keep doing it.

It's not fair. Simple as that.

Poot
03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Life isn't fair, Bill. We tell our children that it is, but it's a terrible thing to do. It's not only a lie, it's a cruel lie. Life is not fair, and it never has been, and it's never going to be.

NKuga
03-08-2011, 08:13 PM
For any interested parties: (No one)

This is the result of my brainstorming session on how to implement an always on wait check. An insight into my failure to approach a problem correctly.

Note that my highest priority here is complete autonomy and stability, followed closely by user friendliness to set up.

1.)Flip-Flop Check

- Check every frame
- Temporarily stop checking if (w?) is pressed (use a +- alias)
- alternate tests in a set (ababab...) to prevent timing conflicts
- cease loop when disabled; realias common key (w?) to new test; resume check loops if wait enabled
- Wait On: No Press - Check Constantly | Press - No Check
- Wait Off:No Press - No Check | Press - Check Once

Pros:
- Easy implementation of "always on"
- Will be simple to integrate foreign looping scripts
- Powerful. Can be used for everything wait-related with minimal modification.

Cons:
- Extremely high volume of client commands and realiasing; not sure if this is possible at all or doable without a performance hit
- Testing script is complicated
- No idea how well it will prevent always-on loop crashes before writing and testing script

2.)Embedded Loop Test
- Test inside a gigantic glow loop (combine all glow script into one loop)
- cease loop if wait is off, resume if on with common key (w?)

Pros:
- Easy as pie to code
- Certain it will work / minimal bugs or glitches

Cons:
- Not elegant or flexible. Not the same level of refinement as my other code.
- Completely abysmal in the user friendless department. Total pain in the ♥♥♥ to set up and must be individually prepared for every different glow script.
- Huge mess of unreadable glow commands. No organization.

3.)The wrong way to do it
- "Pistol.Refresh; [Glow Script Off Command]; wait X[longest glow loop duration + 1]; [Glow Script On Command]"
- alias Quit.Server "disconnect; [Command to disable Loop and maybe load static glow settings]"
bind [key] "Quit.Server"

Pros:
- Already done
- Slightly more user friendly than #2

Cons:
- Will mess with the pulsation every time you switch to secondary
- Who knows what could go wrong with this (does not cover all possibilities/etc)

4.)Simultaneous Loop Test Chaining
- Hard to describe in words. Example with wait enabled: Test 1 triggers sub-loop that triggers glow loop A. Loop A triggers test 2 at the end cycle of its loop. Test 2 triggers sub-loop that triggers glow loop B. Loop B triggers test 3 at the end cycle of its loop. Test 3 triggers sub-loop that triggers glow loop C. Loop C triggers test 1 (or 4) at the end cycle of its loop. Now imagine each loop is active at the same time, so that as soon as A finishes it will pass to B. B and C are also active to pass to C and A at the same time. The sub-loop prevents each main glow loop from starting again until its designated main loop is ready to cycle.
- All loops are severed at next cycle if wait is disabled. Send one command (w pressed?) to begin first test restart. All loops are eventually re-enabled because the sub-loop will always be cycling once reactivated.

Pros:
- Totally bad♥♥♥ idea that may solve the flaws of the previous concepts
- Solves any potential timing issues with the loops
- Should be able to chain the pistol wait check into the loop set so it is always checking too (or any other wait-related code for that matter). Easy to do this.
- With a bit of well-worded instruction, it should be easy for individual users to set their own glow script
- Once the framework is ironed out the code will be rock solid. Once the first chain link is designed correctly, everything else will fall into place.
- Usable with any Source game for anything

Cons:
- By far the most complicated Source script idea I have ever conceived
- Will require a small amount of time to restart every wait loop. (However the load priority can be altered by moving a more important script to the beginning of the chain)
- Will need a LOT of testing and tuning
- Not sure at all that it is possible to do with Source's scripting limitations
- Will be depressed if this fails miserably

...Hurray for being bored on a TUESDAY night. Needless to say #4 is the one I'm most fond of.

EDIT: OH GOD I CANT EVEN REMEMBER THE RIGHT DAY

Zora-Link
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
<Snip>

While I absolutely despise scripts with a passion, I can respect the work you're putting into making it work (Even if it is just boredom ;)), so for the people who will use it and not even thank you, enjoy some rep.

Wuer
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Wuer

In order to use this script, enter this into your console::trolleyes:

I mean to disable the glows with wait commands when disconnecting a server.

This is kind of a jury rigged solution, but whatever.

You need to do three things. First you need to write an additional sub-script in each loop of the glow script (or make every single glow pulse into one big loop) to allow you to toggle the loop on and off with two separate commands. Next, you need to change Wait.Enabled to alias Wait.Enabled "Pistol.Refresh; [Command to enable and restart loop if another alias returns that the loop is not active]" (or you could just force the loop restart for simplicity's sake, I guess.) and then make a disconnect command like this:
alias Quit.Server "disconnect; [Command to disable Loop and maybe load static glow settings]"
bind [key] "Quit.Server"

Of course, that is a cluster**** of a script that works but requires manual input.

Or you could wait a few days for me to add the support in a much more efficient and autonomous manner.

EDIT:

If you want to do it completely wrong but still make it work at a functional level, you can just add this to Wait.Enabled

"Pistol.Refresh; [Glow Script Off Command]; wait X[longest glow loop duration + 1]; [Glow Script On Command]"

and still use the above disconnect Alias.

Thanks NKuga, gonna check that, but that goes a bit out of my knowledge. Will wait on your release and test it.

ckspike
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
There's a reason why competitions ban this kinda crap, it's because it's both unfair to the infected and unfair to people who actually put in the time to have skill with pistols.

It's a crutch for bad players, and your never gonna get better unless you get rid of them. It's a simple case of L2Play.

PizzaSHARK!
03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Makes no sense?

The infected have a hard enough time stopping survivors as it is, adding autofire scripts only worsens the experience for SI. Saying "Well they can use it when it's their turn" is just an excuse to keep doing it.

Uh? Yeah, it is. It's the definition of fairness - both sides get it.

Second, you're acting like an autofire script for dualies is cheating, which is completely, utterly off-base. The scripting language is there for a reason. The options that these scripts make use of exist for a reason.

You could go in and type these things manually every single time you play, and it would be exactly the same thing. The only thing the script is doing is doing everything for you automatically through the magic of autoexec.cfg so you don't have to do it every single time you play L4D2.

Stop being obtuse.

PizzaSHARK!
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
There's a reason why competitions ban this kinda crap, it's because it's both unfair to the infected and unfair to people who actually put in the time to have skill with pistols.

It's a crutch for bad players, and your never gonna get better unless you get rid of them. It's a simple case of L2Play.

Except they don't ban it... at least not the things in this thread people are crying about.

This script does not reduce or remove the skill in using pistols - the only skill involved is aiming, and are you really going to tell me that aiming with an automatic weapon is hard?

You shouldn't be having issues maintaining maximum or near-maximum fire rates with dualies unless you've got physical issues getting in the way (tendon or ligament damage or something similar.) Unless you have your sensitivity jacked up, your aim won't suffer much, either.

The only reason you make a script like this is to save your finger some strain and extend the longevity of your (expensive) gaming mouse.

Oh. And you could just put this all into a macro on one of those gaming mice and it'd do the same thing. Are you gonna try to tell me that using a gaming mouse is an unfair advantage, too? What about using a high-resolution monitor? Your monitor is bigger, so you can sit farther back and in a more comfortable position than people with smaller monitors, and that's an unfair advantage!

Hey, he's using a quiet keyboard! My noisy keyboard wakes up my girlfriend and prevents me from playing effectively after bedtime, he's cheating!

Seriously, whining about autofire scripts of all things is just childish and ignorant.

ckspike
03-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Give me one REPUTABLE league for L4D2 that allows macros or the WAIT command. You are completely mis-informed. They also ban binding +fire to the mousewheel for the same reason.

The people that use this script do not have the ability to fast click, those of us that do don't need it. It's a crutch for baddies nothing more. If you can't use it properly stick with melee weapon.

Friendliest
03-09-2011, 01:41 AM

ppl act like this is L4D1 pistol script or something. In that game, using autofire for pistols was a truly borderline-cheat tactic, and something even many rampant script users such as myself found deplorable.

Because of that exploitable nature, (I suspect), Valve nerfed pistol ROFs in L4D2 so much that this discussion isn't even worth having. Nor, frankly, are non-magnum pistols.

P.S. weighed in on plenty "scripts=cheating?" debates in my time playing games, but I'm going to try out a new stance, which is: if me having the script and you not is truly the only thing that's going to make the difference in me owning you, then we can have the debate. So, see u in 2049, if you're lucky.

Sublime2k
03-09-2011, 03:15 AM
NKuga, I tested your new script on server that doesn't allow wait command and it works just fine. If I try to enable auto firing, nothing happens. If I open the console, it says that wait is disabled.

Makes no sense?

Wow, give it a rest already. Both teams have equal chance to do whatever they want to do as both survivors and infected because, if you didn't know, you play a round of both on each map.

And it's not like auto firing makes any difference, most people use melee or magnum anyway. Stop being so butthurt about it, play on wait disabled server if it bothers you so much and don't read threads about it.

azamodaz
03-09-2011, 03:20 AM
I posted a question yesterday regarding how I couldn't get the turbo fire to work with my glow script. I tried it in both single player and by joining random games.

I am using mystrdat's glow script that I obtained on these forums.

The glows around items and all of his key binds would work while I was running it through your Autoexec.cfg. (His binds such as disconnect, 3rd person,

Your auto reload function would work with Prim and Sec weapons.
But I could not get the turbo fire feature to work.

I thought perhaps I had binded the "/" to a command so unbound it.

If there is a conflict between these 2 scripts, how can I edit yours so I at least have the turbo fire feature?

Lim214
03-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Are you kids really that soft in the hands and lazy that you can't click a f'ing mouse button to play a game?

If you can't maintain decent aim while clicking a mouse, you're putting way too much effort into those clicks and it shows a lack of muscle development and coordination that borders on medical tragedy.

blatant cheating, needed by horrible kids to feel better about something,.. anything, no matter how they have to go about it.

Sublime2k
03-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I posted a question yesterday regarding how I couldn't get the turbo fire to work with my glow script. I tried it in both single player and by joining random games.

I am using mystrdat's glow script that I obtained on these forums.

The glows around items and all of his key binds would work while I was running it through your Autoexec.cfg. (His binds such as disconnect, 3rd person,

Your auto reload function would work with Prim and Sec weapons.
But I could not get the turbo fire feature to work.

I thought perhaps I had binded the "/" to a command so unbound it.

If there is a conflict between these 2 scripts, how can I edit yours so I at least have the turbo fire feature?
As far as I know, they shouldn't conflict. Though I'm not sure any more since NKuga implemented wait check.
I suggest you take mystrdat's autoexec, carefully remove everything you don't need/use, rename NKuga's autoexec to something else (e.g. nkuga) and add line "exec nkuga" (without quotation marks) to mystrdat's autoexec. I also started with mystrdat's autoexec and stripped it down to this:

mm_dedicated_search_maxping 100
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 30
cl_interp 0.067
rate 30000

bind "F11" "disconnect"
bind "F3" "say !ready"

bind "F4" "waitcheck"

bind "TAB" "+sb"
alias "+sb" "+showscores; net_graph 1"
alias "-sb" "-showscores; net_graph 0"

exec static
exec nkuga

Obviously, "nkuga" is NKuga's script and "static" is non-pulsating glows. I also have "dynamic" which is pulsating, but that's not in autoexec for obvious reasons.

By the way, I can't get keypad slash to work for some reason so I edited it back to keypad enter for auto firing and keypad plus for auto reloading.

MordGesicht
03-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Wow, people get really angry when you have a good point.

You people really are just a bunch of baddies looking for a crutch. And you people will defend your crutch till the cows come home. That's fine, just know that normal, SKILLED people think it's a joke.

Have fun shooting full auto at maximum speed with one click, chumps - err, I mean, champs :D

Clearly your ability to shoot at lightning speed with half the effort makes you muuuuch better players.

NKuga
03-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Clearly your ability to click fast with twice the effort makes you a much better player.

Oh wait.

MordGesicht
03-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Well, actually, that does make me a better player.

Oh wait, I seem to have forgotten who I'm talking to...

NKuga
03-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, actually, that does make me a better player.

Fair enough. Still, sounds like you need to l2p and stop whining about a legitimate tool players can utilize.

This script will not make you any better or any worse than you already are. Firing pistols quickly is not skill. Reloading a shotgun is not skill. It's a convenience created with in-game commands.

Thanks for the free advertising, by the way.

Kinkade!
03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Fair enough. Still, sounds like you need to l2p and stop whining about a legitimate tool players can utilize.

This script will not make you any better or any worse than you already are. Firing pistols quickly is not skill. Reloading a shotgun is not skill. It's a convenience created with in-game commands.

Thanks for the free advertising, by the way.

Its not legitimate

Its for childish little noobs

NKuga
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Its not legitimate

Its for childish little noobs

Well, I can't counter that argument.

Poot
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
So is having a mouse with more than two buttons and a wheel an unfair advantage? If I bind my mouse8 button to switch between my primary and secondary weapons, I can do it faster than someone who has to move their hand off WASD to switch. Is that cheating? Is that unfair?

I support this script for the same reason I supported the FOV slider script: if enough people use it, Valve will eventually implement it. It's stupid that you have to slam your mouse button to continue to shoot. I sometimes get pain in my knuckles from hitting the mouse continuously (getting arthritis in my hand, it's not bad yet but it's annoying). It's part of the reason I use melee, because melee continue to swing when you hold down the mouse.

How do competitive leagues check if someone has +attack bound to the mousewheel? It sounds nearly impossible to keep people from using a bind if they want to use it. You couldn't tell what button people are pressing by watching a demo.

But look on the bright side, when you lose a versus match, you can use this as an excuse as to why you lost. "Well, I would have won, but the guy on the other team had a different glow setup than I did, and did the same damage he would have done slamming his mouse button, but instead just held it down!"

Kinkade!
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Well, I can't counter that argument.

Yeah we know.

Toddler

usi DirTyDeeDs
03-09-2011, 08:41 AM
i choose not to use this.
am I any better or worse than others that do? no

ps. I am better than YOU. :p

NKuga
03-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah we know.

Toddler

Take a trolling class, scrub. You need to strive to excel at least one thing.